Flat Iron Steak & Saloon
808 King Street
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Flat Iron Steak & Saloon
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.flatironkingstreet.com/
- Phone: 7032990777x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon-Thu 11:30 am - 1:00 am
Fri 11:30 am - 2:00 am
Sat 10:30 am - 2:00 am
Sun 10:30am - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Mike Cordero
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Flat Iron Steak & Saloon
Flat Iron Steak & Saloon embodies the rich tradition of fine American steakhouses; delicious food and drink, paired with a fun and inviting atmosphere and all delivered to you with unparalleled hospitality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Flat Iron Steak & Saloon reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (26)fit for foodies (22)good for groups (16)special occasion (10)late-night find (10)vibrant bar scene (7)kid-friendly (6)great for outdoor dining (6)romantic (6)hot spot (5)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (3)notable wine list (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Growing PainsOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/19/2014This was my fourth time at Flat Iron, and I'm happy to see that word seems to be spreading and nearly every table was full. But they are clearly suffering some growing pains with the increased patronage. For example, it really shouldn't take 20+ minutes to get a pre-dinner cocktail. The wait and service staff seemed to be confused and in each other's way. Maybe some more training is in order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!YdaisiesVIPDined on 9/17/2014I was in the mood for a steak and remembered seeing Flat Iron Steak when I walked by. My gf and I went for a late dinner. We were seated immediately, our server described the different steak and made recommendations. I had the Delmonico with a spicy rubbing....it of this world! Tender, super tasty and melted in my mouth. The mash potatoes were also great and the spinach. I'm hooked, definitely returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Frequent VisitsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014We have now been here for dinner,happy hour, lunch & brunch twice. This time we took 2 friends from out of town. They loved this great place as much as we do.Special Features:
- Great food!DeeeatsDined on 9/12/2014Surprisingly good burgers and beef carpaccio! Oh, and don't miss the fried candy bar desserts. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steaks!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/2/2014Tried Flat Iron for the first time and very much enjoyed the food. The tuna tartare appetizer was excellent as were the steaks we ordered. My T-bone was done to perfection and nicely seasoned. It's wonderful to have a reasonably-priced steakhouse in the D.C. area! On the downside, the wine list is not extensive and they were "out" of several bottles that I tried ordering. Also, I went on a very quiet Tuesday night were there were only a few other tables occupied. I know other reviewers have complained that it can be a very noisy space and I can see how that would be the case if it's a busy night because the tables are very close together and the dining room is not large. So I would recommend trying this place early in the week.Special Features:
- Good placesmccVIPDined on 9/1/2014This restaurant is nice and has good food and good service. I go here for casual dinners with friends.
- A winner for sureOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/31/2014Truthfully I am not a big steak or sweets eater but had both at Flat Iron and enjoyed was very pleased. The steak was well seasoned and cooked to perfection. And the deep fried Oreos? Wow, don't miss those.Special Features:
- EVERY VISIT GREATOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014FOUND FLAT IRON A FEW MONTHS AGO===WE HAVE BEEN THERE FOR DINNER, HAPPY HOUR, LUNCH & NOW FOR BRUNCH. BRUNCH WAS AS GREAT AS ALL THE OTHER VISITS. THE STEAKS EVERY TIME, EVEN AT BRUNCH ARE THE BEST. THE APPETIZERS ARE A REAL TREAT. WE LOVE IT THERE. ONLY COMPLAINT, BOTH FOR HAPPY HOUR & BRUNCH WE HAD TO ASK FOR THOSE SPECIFIC MENUS IN ADDITION TO THEIR REGULAR MENU. THE WAITRESS NEEDS TO OFFER BOTH OPTIONS, ESPECIALLY FOR HAPPY HOUR SINCE THEY HAVE GREAT DISCOUNT PRICES FOR APPETIZERS, THAT YOU WOULD MISS OTHERWISE. CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF THIS PLACE, SO MANY DIFFERENT ITEMS TO TRY. EVEN HAD THE CO-OWNER JOHN COME TO OUR TABLE ONCE AT DINNER. HE REALLY CARES ABOUT HIS CUSTOMERS & A GREAT QUALITY PRODUCT. YUMMYSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Give it a TrydinersDined on 8/24/2014Restaurant week is a great time to try a place you haven't been. We had an early Sunday dinner outside. The service was excellent, drinks excellent, food very good, and sitting outside was a little tight, but very enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one wordglycerineDined on 8/16/2014Amazing my fiancee and I first time there and it was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy and tastyLokeDined on 8/15/2014Upper bar, while full of TVs, it is not full of service. Downstairs, service was great, as was the food, but so noisy it was hard to hear my dinner mates' conversations.Special Features:
- Very impressed - enjoyable mealOtherNJDined on 8/13/2014In town for a week - this was a wonderful dining experienceSpecial Features:
- Nice surprise!JRivera127Dined on 8/11/2014We have been wanting to try Flat Iron for a few months and were pleasantly surprised at how good everything was. We had the appetizer sampler which was pretty good. The artichoke dip was a bit bland though. I had the prime rib (very lean and cooked perfectly to my request) my dining companion had a NY strip that he also enjoyed very much. The Caesar salad was a departure from the norm using some red leaf lettuce but it was really quite nice and the dressing perfect. Generous cocktails and decent wine list. Our waiter was the perfect amount of attentiveness and gave us good recommendations. Lots of interesting options other than steak! We will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, awesome dessertPooch925Dined on 8/7/2014The food was amazing, and the fried candy desserts were perfect to finish off the meal. However, the ambiance is not that great. The bench seating was MUCH lower than the table, I felt like I needed a booster seat all night, which was very uncomfortable. The service was excellent, but the noise from the saloon upstairs carried downstairs to the restuarant. To me it is odd to have the saloon upstairs since this causes people to walk through the restuarant all night - again, takes away from the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK, but Nothing SpecialThadVIPDined on 8/3/2014On a Sun evening, it was our 1st visit: It took a long time to take drink orders. Our app of onion rings was decent but over-cooked and hard to chew. Two in our party ordered the prime rib...it came out with decent flavor but over-done (medium-well instead of medium rare) and it had this unappetizing gray look to it...not sure why. My flat iron steak had good flavor but was quite chewy and actually hard to cut. The fourth dish - a burger - was quite good. We shared a fried candy-bar dessert - it was waaay too sweet but got eaten in short order. Finally, echoing other reviews...the chairs were uncomfortable. Including 2 bottles of wine, our bill for 4 folks was $165. We ill not be back - just because there are better choices nearby.
- Great ValueccnJDined on 7/31/2014We were looking for affordable dining that would appeal to ourselves and our teen-age grand kid. This place hit the mark. We had the crab cakes which could hold their old with the best. The kids had Jambalaya and Bistro Steak and they were both happy and full.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lots to lovekathyinvaVIPDined on 7/31/2014There are so many things on the menu that sound interesting, it's a place worth returning to. The tater tots are an addictive beginning and everything else I and my friends have tried has been terrific. Prices are very reasonable. The staff is attentive but not clingy. I work just down the street and this is a great addition to the neighborhood.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014The food was wonderful and the waiter was knowlegable about the menu and wines. We will go back for the flat iron steak!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food-spotty serviceBdaygirlsDined on 7/16/2014Nice folks-but-our waiter was very slow and seemed a little out of it. However, the food was very good and we all enjoyed our meals. All the steaks were done to perfection. the sides and appies were delish. And-we really appreciated the complimentary birthday dessert.I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's just eh...OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/12/2014My husband and I went here on Sat night. I will say the apps were delicious, but the steaks we ordered were just ok. I ordered a filet medium which came out medium rare closer to rare but it was hard to cut it with the knife & it was really chewy. The chimichurri sauce had good flavor I just wish they put more on. My husband ordered the strip cooked medium which came out medium well & it was ok, but nothing to write home about. It was also really hot in there to the point where both of us were sweating & our waitress never came to refill our water even though she came to our table about 3 or 4 times during the meal & could see our empty glasses. The fried Oreos were good but by that time we just wanted to leave because we were so hot.
- Nothing Special...mcubbageVIPDined on 7/4/2014I had initially ordered the jambalaya, but the server told me to avoid that (which I appreciated), so then ordered the seared scallop risotto, which he told me that they no longer actually serve that. So, I ended up ordering the salmon and it was pretty bland. We ate here w/ a group of 6 and not one person made a comment about liking (or disliking) their food. Overall though, I would not return.
- Great MealMikeDDined on 6/28/2014Was looking for an upscale but casual/reasonable meal for two to celebrate my wife's birthday. We were impressed with the Open Table and Yelp reviews...and also with the owner's responses to the reviews, which told me how much he cared about pleasing the customer. Overall, the atmosphere was great (upscale but casual), the service was excellent (waitress didn't hover, but checked in frequently), and the food was amazing (I got the skirt steak and my wife got the NY Strip...and I especially loved the spinach au gratin). Had a great meal in a great setting. Will definitely visit again.
- Good but could improveOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/20/2014We finally made it to Flat Iron Steakhouse this weekend. I had very low expectations because a lot of restaurants on King Street seem to be touristy and expensive. Flat Iron exceeded my expectations in food, price and service. The food was good and the prices were reasonable. Both cuts of meat we had (the flat iron and prime rib) were cooked and seasoned well. . Our waiter was attentive and even more impressive was how engaged the manager was. He stopped by more than once to check on us. When our dessert took too long to come out, the managed took it off our check. My major complaint was how uncomfortable the chairs were. They were hard and sloped backwards into this really awkward position. It made the meal much less enjoyable.
- Great meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/15/2014While busy, the restaurant was not overcrowded or hectic. It was accommodating for an early dinner with an 8 month old and grandparents, and the food and service was outstanding. My steak was undercooked, and the situation was remedied quickly and without complaint. A+ experience.Special Features:
- A little disappointingAliJVIPDined on 6/14/2014I've been here multiple times over the past year or so and have had great experiences. Love their Flat Iron steak! My recent trip was a little disappointing, sadly. My food arrived "warm", as if it had been sitting for a bit. My Flat Iron steak, while tasty, was overcooked (I had ordered medium and it was closer to well done). I'm hoping it was just an "off" night. I am happy to report, however, that their fried candy bar desserts are AMAZING.
- Great Steak and Great ServiceBLDiningDined on 6/8/2014We had a lovely meal at Flat Iron. The steaks were cooked perfectly with a nice char on them. Yummy mashed potatoes and other side dishes. Portions were not too large, but filling. And they had a really nice creme brulee for dessert. Their wine selection was diverse and reasonably priced. The decor was fun - cowboyish, yet stylish. And the noise level was good - we had no trouble hearing one another. The wait staff was attentive but not overly and very friendly. I only crave steak on occasion, but I would certainly return here when I do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good solid placealexfoodieVIPDined on 6/8/2014Took my family and inlaws there for my FIL's birthday. Steak was good, everyone liked their meal, reasonably priced. Godo service. I would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SenoraDined on 6/8/2014My husband and I went at 3pm on a Sunday and there were very few people there. We selected the window table. Our waiter was extremely attentive. I ordered the Flat Iron steak with Chimichuri, broccoli au gratin and potatoes au gratin. The portions looked small but I was very full. We ordered the deep fried oreos and the deep fried reese's cups. Delicious! Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Still newOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014Everything was good, but my steak was over cooked! I was too hungry to send it back. In their defense, there was a huge table of prom kids. Manager took my dinner off the bill, which was very kind.
- Great Steak SelectionIzManDined on 5/30/2014My girlfriend and I loved the steaks we had! Our service was excellent, and my soup looked really pretty. It didn't have a spectacular taste though. I loved the steak selection, and my waiter recommended an excellent sauce (chimichurri) for it. Their dessert menu had great options on it as well!Special Features:
- Fabulous service & choice cutsRae08Dined on 5/28/2014This was our first experience and were looking forward to trying it out. Was not disappointed in the service or food. T-bone and prime rib were both choice cuts that were amazingly tender and left naturally flavored. While new to the restaurant, our server was another amazing surprise in that her personality, desire to ensure our experience was memorable and her all around super ability to provide quality professional service left us impressed with Flat Iron Steak & Saloon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 45 reviews are from the Flat Iron Steak & Saloon reviews archive.
- Yum YumOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/24/2014My overall experience at Flat Iron Steak & Saloon was great! Our waiter, Mike, was AWESOME, friendly and super attentive.Special Features:
- D grade for overall performance.badmanagementDined on 5/16/2014Chris (our server) was slowwwww with drinks. Food came out cold, steaks were delivered to the wrong people. When my friend (a chef) complained about his steak to the manager, he chuckled... 20% gratuity was added to the bill for a party of 7 so I guess they don't have to earn it!
- Great meal and experienceTopFun66VIPDined on 5/16/2014This was our second visit to Flat Iron. My wife had the fajitas and I had the 10 oz prime rib. Both meals were quite good and priced very well. We enjoyed them both and they were a good value. The service was outstanding, and they had great music playing at just the right level to add ambiance without being overpowering. All-in-all, a very nice meal and evening. We'll be back again.Special Features:
- Steak was greatSixTwo50Dined on 5/10/2014Took mom here for Mother's Day dinner. Chris out waiter was great. Mom had the prime rib. It was flavorful and tender. Cooked perfectly. Dad had the crab cakes, he enjoyed them. I had the combo fajitas. Delicious. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual with Solid EntreesmetalDined on 5/7/2014Good cocktails (808 Manhattan is especially good), don't miss the Parmesan Tots, and enjoy a filet!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ChoiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014Poor choice for our 45 wedding anniversary!! Had Prime Rib which was noted on the menu as a Chef's pick, awful is the only word. Maybe and issolated instance on their part, but we will not return.
- A Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/29/2014We both ordered the prime rib, which was seasoned very well, and quite good. But really, the veggies were terrific! Between us we had the spinach au gratin, potatoes au gratin, & broccoli au gratin (yes, a lot of au gratins!). The spinach was to die for good! Potatoes were yummy, broccoli was good as well, but not as good as the spinach. The chocolate cake for desert was moist and decadent. This was our first time here, but we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the setting, not the LobstertrReviewsDined on 4/29/2014Great ambience and I should have gotten a steak but, the lobster in the bisque and roll were overcooked. Everyone else in my party loved their plate though!
- Nothing Flat About Flat IronCapitanSourceVIPDined on 4/26/2014Great steak selections, good salads and some seafood, too. (Out of scallops the night we were there.) Generous portions, great prices, and super outstanding service! Can't find as good steaks for these prices elsewhere. A definite addition to Old Town. We'll be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.