Flaming Torch Restaurant
737 Octavia Street
New Orleans, LA 70115Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Flaming Torch Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.flamingtorchnola.com/
- Phone: 5048950900
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, French
- Executive Chef: Patrick James King
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, High Tea, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: The Flaming Torch restaurant is a soon-to-be favorite venue for private parties and wedding receptions. Privacy, service and excellent food will be enjoyed by all.
A word from Flaming Torch Restaurant
“No matter where you are in the New Orleans area, come enjoy the delicious French cuisine menu that native New Orleanians and visitors love. Just off world-famous Magazine Street, stop in for an afternoon lunch or cocktail, then walk down Magazine Street to shop in the eclectic stores. Our evening menu has earned us the Top 20 New Orleans restaurants in the renowned Gambit Weekly. We are honored to be part of the reason many people visit New Orleans, the food!!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Flaming Torch Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelQuiet
romantic (19)special occasion (16)neighborhood gem (14)fit for foodies (10)notable wine list (8)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (3)scenic view (2)good for groups (2)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Parfait!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014As a French enthusiast and a foodie, this place was more than satisfactory! The servers are kind and patient with great recommendations (of course I am always a sucker for duck). Definitely plan to return for the next special occassion!Special Features:
- Small and quaint.TerryVIPDined on 8/30/2014My wife and I enjoyed this restaurant. We found it to be small, quaint and quiet. The service and food were both very good. Parking was very easy and close by, which is a real plus for any establishment in downtown New Orleans. I would recommend this restaurant to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wasn't openKoriVIPDined on 8/23/2014When we arrived for our reservation there was a note on the door that said they were closed.Special Features:
- so disappointeddateniteDined on 8/22/2014The $15 Sausage appetizer was 9 small sizes of dry, overcooked 'gormet' sausage. a long hour later, my $29 dry, tasteless redfish appeared with 4 greenbeans and 2 small potatoes cut in half along with my husband's $30 piece of chicken in a sloppy bowl of stew gravy with 2 undercooked hard potatoes. We left $100 later and still hungry.
- NiceFoodlover51Dined on 8/15/2014The food was of very good quality. Atmosphere was romantic. I did think it was a little pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceTm05VIPDined on 8/14/2014Food was excellent and the service was outstanding in spite of being short staffed for a while. Definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They need more staffDiner123Dined on 8/9/2014The food was good, and we knew there was a party going on while we were there, but it took forever. I wish they hadn't taken reservations the night we went because they just weren't prepared to handle the party and the diners on the floor.Special Features:
- Outstanding.diningmomDined on 8/2/2014For the first time there it was outstanding and the food was wonderful as well as the staff. Very accommodating. Thanks for a positive experience. Will be back for sure. Would recommend it very highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good mealnolagalDined on 8/2/2014My favorite here is the French onion soup. Tried the mixed grill salad this time (lobster and grilled beef tips), which was good, but not as wonderful as other things on the menu that I've had before, like the mussels and crab cakes. Love the wine list.Special Features:
- Very nice ambienceNatiDined on 7/23/2014This was not our first time restaurant. The food was disappointing, they need a new chef.Special Features:
- Drod12Dined on 7/19/2014Service was awesome! Good was great. Get French onion soup and mussels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was okaySnakerakeDined on 7/6/2014Maybe we hit it on an off night. The soup and salads were good and the waiter was friendly and attentive. But the entrees were so so. My wife's filet was decent and my rack of lamb was adequate but nothing to write home about. They both just seemed lacking for the price. It wasn't a bad experience but we probably won't be going back.Special Features:
- not badAbertcinoDined on 6/30/2014tiny little cozy place in a construction congested neighborhood. The pate was lack of taste, duck was little chewy. Service was ok consider just two tables at 7pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UlrichMillerVIPDined on 6/27/2014Had a great meal. As we arrived the power was out due to a thunderstorm, but we sat down and enjoyed a candlelight dinner and the appetizers and entrees were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TutoDined on 6/20/2014The restaurant is easy to find,being just one block from Jefferson just off Magazine. The attention was excellent, and the food was very good. The french onion soup was especially good. The decor was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet Father's Day brunchBabetteDined on 6/15/2014A group of eight of us dined here for Father's Day brunch. It was a very comfortable place to go, roomy, quiet (we could all hear each other talk - what a treat!), and accessible for the 90-year-old in our party. The service was friendly and mostly timely, and they gave us plenty of time to eat (it was not crowded). Many of us ordered the Eggs Benedict and I don't think a single yolk was runny, but the rest of the plate was good. One person ordered steak medium rare and it came virtually uncooked. Sent it back and had it cooked a little more, but she found the steak itself very average. So, not great for the food, but not terrible, and it worked beautifully as a place for old friends and family to get together and gab.
- Great restaurant with Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014Can't beat it please enjoy this restaurant. The ambiance was second to none with old classics playing in the back ground. The food actually took our breath away. ..wonderful wonderful! !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd time NOT a charmMariaVIPDined on 5/17/2014We needed some last minute reservations for brunch, and this was available. My daughter and her boyfriend have been here several times and both said it was really good, so we gave it another try. I still got the same vibe from the ambiance. It is just brown. We were seated right away, and asked what kind of water we would like and then we were forgotten for a while. In fairness to the staff there was a big party, and it seemed that was all they could handle. We finally got waters and drinks. The bloody Mary's tasted like there was no vodka, but the waiter did add more when asked. The food was decent, but not great. With so many great restaurants to choose from in NOLA, I think this one should be a pass.
- ExcellentYummyDined on 5/16/2014Excellent food and service, nice ambience will be sure to go back.Special Features:
- French cuisine with local flairDawnSanDiegoDined on 5/13/2014Right off Magazine St., this quiet neighborhood restaurant is exceptional. There were few people in the establishment when we arrived for a late lunch and the staff was gracious & accommodating. The crab cakes were delicious and the grilled chicken sandwich was a tasty spin on a typically not so exciting favorite. We got caught in a down pour right before entering and the proprietor fave us hand towels to dry off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/12/2014My lunch was very good and the service was great. Mussels and pâté were very good and the crab Cake was favorite dish. Wine list had good variety.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A disappointing dining experience!MutiVIPDined on 5/11/2014Service was lacking. Food was a disappointment. However, the prices were where a five star restaurant should be.
- The following 305 reviews are from the Flaming Torch Restaurant reviews archive.
- Flaming TorchACSBDined on 5/2/2014The restaurant was empty when we arrived at 7:30 for our 8 o'clock reservation. The service was excellent... like having a personal restaurant. The food was okay. The talk in my neighborhood is that one can always get in at Flaming Torch. This was on a Friday night during Jazz Fest when most uptown restaurants were booked solid!
- GreatBetsyVIPDined on 4/26/2014There were 4 of us, we all got different entrees & we all loved it. One is highly allergic to shell fisf & the chef was great about adjusting her redfish dish. Dessert was equally excellent. If it's available, don't miss the pot de creamSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French neighborhoodRichDined on 4/26/2014Great food with friendly service and warm atmosphere. The recommended French onion soup was wonderful. The location just off Magazine Street is convenient . Will plan to return.Special Features:
- Great food, ambiance and service!goodtasteguyDined on 4/26/2014This place never disappoints. Food is consistently good whether for brunch, lunch or dinner. There's an elegant charm in the small, intimate dining room that's perfect for that special occasion. I've brought out-of-towners and introduced locals and all have been impressed and delighted. Makes me look good and improves my reputation for having good taste.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurantSteffiDined on 4/23/2014I found this restaurant on Open Table and was meeting a friend of almost 40 years who was visiting with her husband. Cindy Judin Wicker, from Camp Arrowhead in Hunt, Texas. Her little sister is one of my best friends. We had excellent service by the owner, Hassan, I believe. I wasn't expecting to be bowled over, but I was. We had a lovely bottle of La Crema, I had the wonderful onion soup and veal liver, believe it or not. Absolutely scrumptious. I will definitely go again!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little Neighborhood placectctcoupeVIPDined on 4/14/2014We went at 7:30 on a Monday evening, there were absolutely no guests at all. While the owner was charming and welcoming the restaurant is so dated, tired really. A Dean Martin recording was blasting - I'm not kidding... My salad was fresh and plentiful, but nothing you couldn't get really anywhere. Shrimp was tasty and spicy. My partners onion soup was salty and the coq au vin was so so. Would not go back.
- Great anniversary dinnerrtfsouthDined on 4/6/2014My wife and I were in NOLA for our anniversary, but not really a planned thing. I checked Open Table for a romantic spot with good food. We both love the New Orleans vibe, and Flaming Torch seemed like a good fit. Every expectation was met and exceeded. The service was attentive, friendly and unobtrusive. I wanted to take time over cocktails before ordering, and the staff gladly gave us space. Everything arrived perfectly, and tasted better than we could have expected. The dessert was a unique New Orleans experience (chocolate with some cayenne pepper) and completely memorable. If you want a small romantic place in NOLA, Flaming Torch would be my vote.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceHansDined on 3/29/2014Great service, excellent food, strongly recommend it
- Great dinnerLNOLAvisitorDined on 3/14/2014We went here with a group of 8. Very good service and excellent food. A bit expensive, but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, nice local restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/28/2014Flaming Torch was good. The food was tasty but I would not say it was the best I ever had. I was in a group of 6 and the restaurant was more than accommodating. Service was GREAT. Waitress made some nice recommendations. All 6 in my party ordered different dishes and they came out timely, fresh and hot. We enjoyed it. I appreciated that the restaurant called to confirm our reservation the afternoon on the day. They provided great advice where to park due to the Mardi Gras parades going on that evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flaming DeliciousnessNOLAJamesDined on 2/19/2014We have been to the Flaming Torch a few times as my fiancé loves this restaurant. The waiter was very professional and helped us select some great wines for dinner. The food, as always was excellent, especially the fish of the day and the Lobster risotto. The only slight miscue was the Coq au vin seemed a little heavy handed flavor wise. The French onion soup is always fantastic and one of the best in NOLA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our first time, Saturday FebruaryOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/1/2014Our first time, Saturday February 1st... a wonderful experience. Food was delicious, atmosphere, very romantic and Terry, our server was great!Special Features:
- Nice experienceLisaJDined on 1/31/2014The atmosphere at Flaming Torch is really nice - relatively dark but not too dark, a fireplace, candlelight - good for a romantic dinner. Most of the food was excellent - sweetbreads appetizer, duck breast, mussels - but occasionally missed the mark. The crabmeat risotto appetizer was tasteless. Rack of lamb was good but not great. I really like the wine list and the service was impeccable. We needed to get in and out in two hours and we did it in less than that. Have been there twice and it always has a nice crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't recommend...UptownerDined on 1/30/2014Restaurant smelled strongly of gas. Both fish main courses tasted "old" and were not finished. Many much better options in the area.
- Perfect cold winter's night!xxxxxVIPDined on 1/25/2014Sat by the fire and started with onion soup au gratin. Perfect way to warm up on a cold winter's night!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little spotlsjbamaDined on 1/17/2014The first time I went it was totally by accident and chance, this time we booked and were not disappointed! it is small, quaint, and the food is great. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. The French Onion soup is the best I have ever had. The Redfish and the Crab Cakes were very good and the special eggplant app was very good as well. In a city with great restaurants with great food, the thing that makes this place stand out is the intimacy of the room with the fireplace and the friendly staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Atmosphere and Food!dallassoonerDined on 1/3/2014We highly enjoyed our dinner here. Amazing food and service, our waitress even called a cab for us to get back to the French Quarter. Loved it and would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful French restaurantexpatVIPDined on 1/1/2014My husband and I happened upon this gem by chance, and it surpassed my expectations. Everything was wonderful. I had the coq au vin, and it was executed quite well. I find that impressive because it is hard to find good coq au vin. Our dessert was wonderful- a chocolate pot de creme seasoned with cayenne, cinnamon, and nutmeg. We went on New Years Day-- not a big restaurant night in New Orleans-- yet the quality of the food and service were both stellar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.