1111 Milwaukee Ave
Riverwoods, IL 60015Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://flamecharhouse.com/
- Phone: 847-465-9300x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 3pm - 10pm
Friday: 3pm - 11pm
Saturday: 3pm - 11pm
Sunday: 3pm - 9pm
Open for Private events during lunchtime hours.
Join us in our Bar/Lounge for great appetizer specials every
Monday - Friday: 3pm - 6pm **Bar Only**
Private dining rooms available! Reserve your room now!
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Tom Grigoriou
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Flame Charhouse
Flame Charhouse is dedicated to serving only the finest and freshest food. All of our steaks are tender aged Black Angus beef that is sear-charred to lock in all of the flavor. Our seafood is flown in daily, so it's as fresh as possible. You can also enjoy charbroiled pork chops and lamb chops, baby back ribs prepared with our signature BBQ sauce, tender and juicy wood-roasted chicken and char broiled burgers made from freshly ground Black Angus sirloin. Tantalizing appetizers, crisp salads, delicious sandwiches, and kid's menu are also available. Truly something for all to enjoy. Join us in our bar/lounge for one of our signature cocktails and special appetizers. It is our goal to make your meal a memorable experience. We look forward to serving you soon!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Flame Charhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
87 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (40)good for groups (30)special occasion (25)fit for foodies (16)kid-friendly (12)great for lunch (9)vibrant bar scene (6)romantic (6)late-night find (6)notable wine list (5)hot spot (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Bob's birthday at FlameIlovefoodDined on 9/13/2014Unfortunately, Flame Charhouse was understaffed the night we were there. Three wait staff didn't show and two cooks. When checking in, we were told we had a 20 minute wait before being seated even though we had a reservation. Once we were seated, again we waited over 20 minutes for someone to even come to the table to greet us and take a drink order. As the night progressed, the time between waiter visits was long. We got our steaks, and both my husband's and mine had to be returned - they were under done. Both my husband and I asked for our filets to be butterflied and cooked medium. My steak was underdone, my husband's was not even butterflied and well underdone.
- Try the porkchopsRandyOVIPDined on 8/24/2014The pork chops and the crusted fillet mignon were very good. Sergio provided excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible foodTerribleVIPDined on 8/24/2014All of our meals were terrible. Out waiter was nasty and had trouble speaking English. We will not go back .
- Fine steak fare for a better pricePkdeanaDined on 8/24/2014This place served good food for a reasonable price. The ambience is OK but not great. Server was nice and attentive. Think of it as better than Chili's for the same price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimemdbuttercupVIPDined on 8/22/2014My first visit to Flame Charhouse started off with great bread. In fact, we asked for more. Entrees come with soup or salad and being that I ordered an entrée salad (Salmon) my choice was soup. I didn't care for the soup of the day and was told I could order the French onion soup for a few dollars more. I opted out. Salmon portion was ample. My husband's steak was fine along with the veggies. My iced tea glass was removed by a staff member before I finished, and by then it was too late to try to get another glass. We ordered a piece of chocolate cake for dessert and weren't wowed by the taste. Not sure when we'll return. There are lots of "good" restaurants around.
- Bad restaurantschoolnurseVIPDined on 8/21/2014Chopped salad had 2 pieces of chicken in it. Never go back.
- TonyVIPDined on 8/19/2014First time there. We'll be back. Very good service and a nice, comfortable setting.Special Features:
- Ok restaurant - nothing specialOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014We got our food an hour after being seated at 7:40 pm. My chopped Salad was HUGE. A third of that for half the price would have been fine. It also had radishes in it, which were not listed on the menu, and not enough chicken. Hubby's meal was also enough for two - half a chicken with fries. Our water glasses were never refilled and no one came to ask how our food was or if we needed anything else. We sat waiting about 15 minutes for someone to come and ask us if we were done but then he was quick to bring foil containers for leftovers. He didn't bring a bag to carry them out in and we had to ask for one when we left. The wait staff were very rushed and definitely appeared to be understaffed.
- KyleKyleVIPDined on 8/13/2014The food was terrible. The restaurant needs a upgrade. It has a new name but the same old looking restaurant. They need a new chef or menu... We went to celebrate a birthday and was less than thrilled will the food. We could of BBQ ourselves and done a better job. I will not be going back and would not recommend this restaurant to any of my friends.Special Features:
- Great Food - Friendly ServiceNewReviewerGrayslakeDined on 8/11/2014This was our first trip to Flame Charhouse and it was a great time. We went for my husband's birthday and were not disappointed. His twin filets were perfect as was my breaded shrimp. The server was very friendly and of course offered the complimentary chocolate sundae for his birthday! We will definitely visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Large menu, great servicediscountdiner10Dined on 8/9/2014Tried this new neighborhood restaurant with a discount offer and were not disappointed although we thought the prices were a bit higher than comparable places in the area but portions were large and almost everyone seemed to be taking doggy bags home. Service was outstanding. Many people seemed to be there with discount offers. Menu choices were extensive. Tried the wood roasted chicken which was excellent, baked potatoes were a bit underdone but the vegetables and hot bread were delicious. Owner made it a point to stop at every table which was a nice touch. Caters to an older crowd although there were some extended families there with children. Would be a great place for anyone not wanting to travel very far from home.Special Features:
- Dinner at Flame Charhouse123skokieDined on 8/5/2014I thought their food was expensive for what you got. A Cobb salad was 14.95 I ordered iced tea, it was too strong so I sent it back and had water. I realized later that I was charged for my ice tea!
- social1VIPDined on 8/3/2014Well prepared food, good service, convenient location, good parking.Special Features:
- Flame Gasping For AirOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 8/2/2014Waiter disappeared for a good twenty mintues, then when he came over, had his personal cellphone out, put it down to take our order, and then picked it back up. Quite odd. Food was below par. Prime rib overly seasoned and tough, mashed potatoes from a scooper. Waiter dropped and ran, never came back to ask if we'd like a second glass of wine. Bring back Jimmy's please.
- NiceTurmericDined on 8/2/2014We enjoyed the food and service. It is a new restaurant and we found it to be similar in looks and food as the previous owners. Not much has changed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Great place close to home. People very friendly Good foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Modest PlusOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/29/2014Staff are friendly; prices OK; food quality just OK; insuffient flavor, especially the rice. CHicken Brochette recommended; skip the rice. 3Stars is probably too high. Try 2-1/2.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointedcaptjaneway54Dined on 7/26/2014Very disappointing. They ran out of two of the menu items I ordered for dinner. We ate the soup and salad that was supposed to go with the entree and left.
- NMW911Dined on 7/19/2014Our party was seated quickly and the service was fine. Our server was knowledgable & friendly but I didn't like that her hair was not tied back. At one point the server was stroking her hair and a moment later she was holding the top of the pepper mill. This cannot be sanitary by any stretch of the imagination. I also did not care for the baby back ribs as they were on the tough side. I certainly wold come back but not try the ribs again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the moneyletseatoutDined on 7/12/2014The place is getting old and tired. I hoped there would be some new life since Jimmy's went out, but no such luck. More importantly, the food was average at best. The salad of mixed greens was limp and warm, and my chicken and rib combo was dry and overcooked. Disappointing. One the plus side the host staff and our server were friendly and efficient.
- Little PriceybooleyDined on 7/11/2014Portion sizes vary greatly from item to item. the chopped salad was huge and quite good, the brisket sliders were small for the price. the ribs were not very good at all. Food is decent, but too pricey for the quality.Special Features:
- First Time DinerAl111Dined on 7/11/2014We returned to this restaurant after previous restaurant went out of business. The table we were at was a little dark to read the menu but we got by that. The food was generally good, with a medium selection of items. We noticed that other tables had ordered the half chicken and rib combo and there was a large portion on the plate when it was delivered. The fish and chicken brochette were both above par and the service was fast and accurate. Our waitress was attentive but not overly so and was certainly friendly when we spoke about the new owners and operation. Our dinner companions asked about valet service, which is no longer available. I would go back again and so would our companions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food okay, service lackingpmazcommVIPDined on 7/10/2014Tried Flame Charhouse since we heard there was new ownership. Food was good, certainly not your fine dining as meal presentation is just okay. Break was great and freshly baked but service was lacking. We saw our waiter spend more time talking and leaning than actually coming over to refill my drink. Seemed like other tables servers were more responsive.Special Features:
- mylesDined on 7/8/2014service was outstanding. the new owners have done a wonderful change in this businessSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An improvementJN13Dined on 7/6/2014This is much better than the old Jimmy's Charhouse. Very friendly bartender with good pours. Menu has good variety. The food tasted good. Service was very good. I would go back. I still think the décor could use some updating.Special Features:
- disappointedDonnaDined on 7/5/2014We were greeted by the hostess,she was very nice.Our waiter,very pleasant. My husband had prime rib,he said it was good.I had crusted Talapia,was good,until I got almost to the middle and it was PINK.We let the waiter know.He apologized & asked if I wanted anything else but seeing that pink fish,made me lose my appetite.As he was bringing it back to the kitchen the hostess walked up to him, talked to him and I seen her look at the fish and shake her head. She immediately came to apologize and asked if she could get me anything else. Which I had lost my appetite so I said no. She did ask if she could get me another glass of wine then,I did accept. It was very disappointing to look forward to a new restaurant and you leave unsatisfied.
- Welcome to 1980MikeLVIPDined on 7/5/2014The restaurant is essentially the same as it was under the last owner -- and essentially the same as it has been for the last 30+ years. It served comparatively good food back in the day but it's important to note that competing restaurants (even mid-level chains) have upped their games in a huge way, Flame Charhouse hasn't. While nothing was "bad", the nothing was delightful either. The lack of diners on a Saturday night seems to reinforce the notion that my opinion isn't unique.
- Great as usual!Great4serviceDined on 6/29/2014We were seated immediately, as usual. Everyone had something different. The wine was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great American food!BirthdayGirlVIPDined on 6/27/2014First time here since recent name change. Great menu with yummy choices of American char, grilled or baked chops, chicken, fish and a few other yummy items thrown in too! Great prices, terrific food, caring staff. Complaints:no one ever refilled our empty water glasses! Huge pet peave of mine! And hanging light over booths so ridiculously bright. Tone it down guys! Other than that, great area place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Give it a try!the2ofusDined on 6/22/2014We had an enjoyable dinner at Flame Charhouse. It was close to home, easy (and free) parking, very good food, and excellent service. We were celebrating a birthday and feel we made a good choice of restaurants.
- MeharchieVIPDined on 6/22/2014The former Jimmy's Charhouse. We had a Groupon, so we thought we'd give it a try under the new name. Apparently only the name has changed. The rest is the same, tired space with the same poor food and fair service. If I was a betting man, I would bet that Flame will be closed by the end of 2014.
- Power outageDebbiVIPDined on 6/21/2014Shortly after we were seated and before we ordered the restaurant lost power. There were no lights. There was no air conditioning. People were using their cell phones for light. Continued below:Special Features:
- DisappointedLaceyDined on 6/13/2014The ambience was fine, the service was fine but the steaks had absolutely, no flavor. We were so upset because we had been looking forward to trying this place out. We won't be back. Literally tasted like no seasoning was on steak, and that it had been marinating in water. The juices had no flavor. So disappointing. :( There is nothing worse than paying $30 for a steak that you didn't enjoy.
- good findhfc22Dined on 6/13/2014I was so pleased and excited that The Flame was as good as it turned out to be. Was there the 1st week it opened and was disappointed. So glad we went back for a birthday celebration. Everyone (8 of us) enjoyed what they chose. A big thumbs up from all of us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service, mediocre foodChicagoJayVIPDined on 6/12/2014Same as it was when it was Jimmy's. Bland ribs, barely any cheese on the French onion soup, which they wanted an up charge for. Not awful, but nothing special. Many better options in the area.Special Features:
- DinnerChicity2011Dined on 6/10/2014I recently dined at Flame for Dinner. The service was excellent. Our server Patty did a phenomenal job, very efficient and great personality and knew the menu very well. The food came out in a timely manner and was very delicious as well. The managers also came by and checked on us. Overall, exceptional dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice menu and staffButtercup8561Dined on 6/8/2014It was a pleasant surprise!! Lots of choices and wonderful specials !! Appt salad and main courses were all delicious !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flame was bright last nightdrommomDined on 6/8/2014Delicious bread! Great house garlic dressing. Ordered the Skirt Steak and was pleasantly please with two large strips cooked the way I asked. Hubby had a lovely piece of white fish. Friends had BBQ brisket and Crusted Halibut both were delicious. He said the crust was excellent. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food good...ImSharonDined on 6/7/2014and plentiful. The management is REALLY nice, the servers are incredibly friendly...but mistakes do happen sometimes. Like getting dinner before the soup/salad. And then the dinner was placed under warmers til we were ready. Which, of course, made my salmon a bit dry. Still really good though! And the manager arranged for coffee and desserts for us at no charge to make up for it. THAT was great. My only "complaint" is the ambiance. It's kind of like a senior home. I'm in my late 50's and feel quite young there! Which, I guess is nice, just wish they'd do something to get younger folk in there! LOL Maybe a slight change in decor would help? Turning the air on and leaving it on for longer than a few minutes at a time?Special Features:
- Dinner outGirlsVIPDined on 6/6/2014Good food and service on our referents trip to flame house grillSpecial Features: