1138 Flagstaff Road
Boulder, CO 80302Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://flagstaffhouse.com/
- Phone: 3034424640
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Friday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Cocktails: Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American
- Executive Chef: Mark Monette
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Whether you need space for as few as 12 or as many as 200 people, we can accommodate your private party needs. From our elegant world class dining atmosphere and fabulous menu, to the fresh mountain air and inspiring views of Boulder, Colorado.
- Private Party Contact: Jean Davis 3034424640
A word from Flagstaff House
Chef Mark Monette has been responsible for the culinary delights at the Flagstaff House since 1985. His unique style of cooking incorporates French cuisine with Asian accents, brought together by his training in several michelin three star restaurants in France and the Orient. Mark has worked with several master chefs including Bernard Hermman and Thomas Keller. At the Flagstaff House chef Mark has had the pleasure of preparing a special menu for the Emperor and Empress of Japan as well as the Prime minister of Japan and his foreign ministers. The restaurant has also hosted many dinners for notable culinary dignitaries including Paul Bocuse, Angela Gaja and Robert Mondavi. The Monette family has owned the Flagstaff House since 1971. The restaurant holds many prestigious awards including Colorado's longest holding Wine Spectator Grand Award. Please note our dress code prohibits shorts, t-shirts and athletic attire.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Flagstaff House - Best Restaurants in Boulder ›
Flagstaff House reviews from OpenTable diners
237 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (209)special occasion (206)romantic (184)notable wine list (141)fit for foodies (111)great for outdoor dining (104)good for groups (37)neighborhood gem (28)hot spot (11)late-night find (8)great for brunch (5)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Fine Restaurant DiningjamphdDined on 9/14/2014Three friends visiting Boulder spent a delightful evening while dining at the Flagstaff House. The food was outstanding and the waitress was one of the best we all have ever experienced. Thank you Hannah for all the extra service. The food was not only tasty but was served with creative presentations. We spent almost 2 1/2 hours enjoying the wonderful food and the breathtaking scenery. If in Boulder- Don't miss this exceptional restaurant.Special Features:
- PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014Went there for my girlfriends birthday. SHad notified them of the brithday in advance. Every employee wished her happy birthday during the night. at at the bar for a drink before our reservation. Drinks and service at the bar was fantastic. Food and winelist was incredible. Some of the best service and food I have ever experienced.Special Features:
- Best in BoulderOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014If you're looking for a special dining experience, this is it! Although quite pricey, you actually feel like you're getting your money's worth. Get there early enough to enjoy the view of the city below, but then stay for the evening lights! The food was very good, with quite a few little extras from the chefs to make the evening extra enjoyable!Special Features:
- Boulder's Finest RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Wonderful restaurant with phenomenal wine list. Service and food was outstanding! Would highly recommend for that special occasion!Special Features:
- DisappointedSteveVIPDined on 9/12/2014Food was very average for the high price Special occasion but not worth it!Special Features:
- Impeccable dininggrendelVIPDined on 9/6/2014The location of Flagstaff House is amazing since a diner can appreciate the mountains around. I think the restaurant is perfect for a special occasion. In fact, it seemed that everyone around us was having either an anniversary or birthday. My husband, my husband's son, and I had a special evening of excellent service and wonderful food, beginning with an amusee and ending with eight different accompaniments to an espresso. My one negative comment is that you don't get a lot of food. What you get is excellent, but not much substance--beautifully presented. My cherry tomato tarte tatin was gorgeous but SMALL. I am a country gal and like to see food on my plate. That said, I would highly recommend this restaurant. But $$$--$350 for 3 people!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous food...painfully slowPuttyPapaVIPDined on 9/6/2014Food was great as usual, though 50% of the price is clearly to pay for the view. $68 for lamb was excessive, even if it was delightful. But the service was soooo slow. Friendly wait-staff, but it took 30 minutes just to get some bread. While we were not in a hurry, it was just uncomfortably slow. And the room we were in (covered patio area) was freezing cold, which made the wait even more uncomfortable.Special Features:
- Delicious and BeautifulTeddDined on 9/6/2014Everything was fantastic, except for the peach dessert. It's definitely more of an older person's type of dessert (and these ppl are all over this place). Just not a ton of flavor to it. I'm sure it's supposed to taste just as it did, so it's not a knock to the chef. I assume the elderly are heavily catered to, up here.Special Features:
- Always goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Flagstaff is always good. Food is guaranteed to be very good. Tables were too close together for our comfort.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceluvtogoDined on 9/3/2014We try every anniversary to treat ourselves (sometimes with friends) to an evening at The Flagstaff House for an extraordinary dining experience. We always enjoy the ambiance, the absolute fantastic view and exceptional food when dining. The value is very reasonable and we always take home the personal designed menu which adds memories to our evening. Thank the staff for being so professional!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/2/2014mushroom/asparagus/polenta first course was terrific, trout overcookedSpecial Features:
- Gem with a great viewPmigDined on 8/31/2014The food and service is exceptional! I would highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys great food.Special Features:
- Dining experiencelovetoeatDined on 8/31/2014From the time we seated at our table to the end of our meal, we felt the service and experience was excellent. Every detail was incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PretentiousDebsterDined on 8/30/2014The location and food is fabulous, but considering it's in Boulder where you can get fabulous on every corner, I don't think it's worth the very over inflated prices and stuffy atmosphere....the staff is very attentive, but again it's just over the top. Also very few vegetarian options... I'd recommend one of the many other options in Boulder... If you want the view pack a picnic and go to the Flaggstaff overlook!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best. Ever.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2014Flagstaff House will forever be in my memory as one of the best restaurants ever. The staff is really on top of their game and the service received is unlike anywhere you will ever go. The food is fantastic and fun. I love getting treats complements of the chef. And the view of Boulder is breathtaking.Special Features:
- ALWAYS THE BESTOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014Superb food in a gorgeous setting with service that is out of this world…pricey, yes, but perfect for special occasions. EVERYTHING is perfect when you come here…and the lovely touches of a honey panna cotta pre dessert, the amuse bouche, the superb rolls, the sorbet intermezzo…just fantastic plus the entrees and desserts were just delicious too.Special Features:
- Exceptional food & servicetodineisdivineDined on 8/29/2014Not knowing what to expect we were amazed at the ambience, food and service for our evening out. Will share our excellent evening with all we meet and plan on coming againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was outstanding!loriDined on 8/29/2014My mother was visiting over her birthday, so I decided to take her here for a nice dinner. I made a simple notation in the comments while booking, requesting a window table because it was a birthday dinner. Not only did we get that table, but we got special menus with a birthday message and a birthday treat at the end of our meal. Very nice and unexpected touches. Birthday aside, every staff member we encountered was friendly and efficient, without a hint of attitude. The food was solid, the presentation excellent, with many extras throughout. I lived in NYC for 5 years, eating at many "fine dining" establishments during that time, and the level of service here tops anywhere else I've visited by miles. The view doesn't hurt either!Special Features:
- Outstanding!JodieVIPDined on 8/26/2014We have eaten at many wonderful restaurants around the world and have to say that Flagstaff House is one of the best. From the moment we entered this beautifully designed restaurant overlooking Boulder we were impressed. The menu is extensive with options for all tastes and the food itself was delicious and beautifully presented. The service did not disappoint. From our charming waitress, friendly sommelier, and servers who swooped in almost unnoticed, made it a truly unique dining experience. We can hardly wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unique experienceRussellDined on 8/24/2014A restaurant in the foothills above Boulder with wonderful views of surrounding mountains and the town below from the expansive windows. The chalet style architecture together with the available views leaves diners with the feeling of eating in a cabin on a perch. A tree house for adults? Each bite of food was a combination of flavors and textures that stimulate the taste buds - truly a taste "experience"! The service was wonderful - a friendly and knowledgeable waiter assisted by specialists in bread distribution, wine, and desserts. We were there for an anniversary and had a wonderful time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exciting placeojiemojoDined on 8/24/2014It was our wedding anniversary and had the best sit with a beautiful view. We enjoyed the dinner with good food and server. The complimentary side dish was a surprise. The stuff was very nice and friendly.Special Features:
- One of my favoritesRButlerDined on 8/23/2014I visit Colorado a couple times a year and always look forward to having dinner at Flagstaff House. The view is fantastic and matched by great food and excellent customer service. Flagstaff House is one of my favorites in Colorado.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- True Wagyu, Caveat EmptorJJPBVIPDined on 8/22/2014We came for the real Wagyu, which we've had once before (post 2012, graded A5, and legit). Flagstaff lists theirs as "Kuroge Japanese true Wagyu NY strip," which is technically true, but only because "Wagyu" literally means Japanese cow. I asked our waitress the grade, she had to ask the chef - bad sign - & came back with news that it was A2 or A3. This is roughly equivalent to USDA Prime. At $36/oz it better be A5. Frankly, this restaurant is taking advantage of the ambiguity & lack of knowledge of Wagyu to overcharge customers. Anyway, I ordered the regular NY, my wife had the lobster - both decent but overpriced. Combine that with a waitress who never gave her name or offered a word about the menu, and we left pretty disappointed.Special Features:
- Great to impress a dateoverspendingindividualDined on 8/22/2014This place is great if you want to take a date out and impress. The food was pretty good, but pretty small portions. It's incredibly 'fancy' and you'll have a different waiter come by every five minutes or so. The view is pretty incredible depending on where your seated, but overall there isn't a bad spot. They have an insane list of beers and wines, and make a pretty good rail drink. Overall spent $130.00 on my date and myself after tax and tip with just two drinks, two main courses, and a dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flagstaff House - Dinner ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/22/2014We celebrated our 37th wedding anniversary at the Flagstaff House and had a wonderful evening. The menu a variety of options. We especially enjoyed the yellowfin tuna appetizer.Special Features:
- A Disappointing Dinner ExperienceFoodAdventurerDined on 8/21/2014I had high hopes for Flagstaff House taking my wife for her birthday. It was so exciting driving up the mountain to get to the restaurant. The view from the restaurant was breath taking and had one of the best views I ever experienced in a restaurant. Unfortunately, the food wasn't that great. The Servers were very professional though I found the Sommelier a bit unfriendly. She may have had an off day. The food prices were some of the most expensive I had experienced in a restaurant worldwide. The sad part was that my wife's Lamb at under $70 was undercooked and unimpressive. That was just the Lamb price. I ordered Snapper which was less expensive but just as unimpressive. I ordered a small custom chocolate cake for my wife which was dry.Special Features:
- 25th anniversary at beautiful sporanniversaryDined on 8/19/2014We celebrated our 25th anniversary at Flagstaff house..l. Beautiful view, great service and excellent wine steward. Menu had a personal congratulations message. Who could ask for more! ?!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food with a viewOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/19/2014You can't beat great food with a spectacular view at sunset! Service was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Views, Food, ServiceMALainDined on 8/19/2014Flagstaff House had 1) gorgeous views, 2) delicious hors d'oeuvres and entrees, and 3) the most attentive staff of anywhere I have ever dined!!! It is quite expensive, but we were treated like royalty from the complimentary valet to the complimentary taster plates. A great place for a special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best "special occasion" in BoulderOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/16/2014Went there as a special occasion with my two grown children. We were seated immediately. The service was amazing. The wine list had enough variety and half bottles for all of our different pallets and chosen entrees. We ordered the steak, lamb and halibut. All of our dishes were beyond amazing. Perfectly prepared and presented. I cannot say enough good things about this place. The one little tiny drawback is the road to drive up there is under construction and at one point turns into a one lane which can be pretty tricky in the dark.Special Features:
- Our place for special occasionsRuthG13VIPDined on 8/16/2014Flagstaff House never disappoints. We visit for our birthdays and anniversary each year. Beautiful view, outstanding food, and great wine list.Special Features:
- Excellent Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/16/2014If you are looking for a memorable dining experience for a special occasion The Flagstaff House is second to none.Special Features:
- Bravo!BigskyguyDined on 8/15/2014Had a dinner last Friday that will go down on our top 10 all time great experiences! Beyond the food & the view which was awesome, The staff/team that took care of us were all exceptionally attentive & well trained, which is a level of detail you don't find any moreSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/15/2014The service was disappointing. The food was good as usual but the service was lacking. The staff used to make you feel very special from the minute you walked in the door. The waiter just set the menus down on our plates haphazardly and did not seem to know the menu too well. We were served a small appetizer as our food was taking far too long. Someone in the party was allergic to the food and it was not stated what the food was. We had to inquire only to find out that it was a highly allergic food choice for someone in our party. Very unprofessional. Just not a great experience. We drive from Southeast Denver and will think twice about making the trip again. We have been customers for over 20 years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceRobOTDined on 8/12/2014Little on the salty side but otherwise everything prepared and cooked perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricy Special Occasion TreatJimi27Dined on 8/11/2014With its commanding view of the city of Boulder below, Flagstaff House makes a great impression. We celebrated our 30th anniversary here while visiting Colorado on vacation. The service was very good, the food excellent and pricy. With one bottle ($75 for a wine that sells for $24) and a few cocktails, the tab was over $800 (a bit higher than we had budgeted). NOT handicapped accessible with difficult-traverse-stairway from driveway to bar and split level design inside. 80-year-old mom had to exit via kitchen - couldn't make it back up the main stairs. The wine list is extensive & expensive and presented on a computer tablet that was not user friendly. Dirty mens room, towels all over floor. A expensive special occasion venue.Special Features:
- Made Special Dinner Extra SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/10/2014Celebrating a birthday and was blown away by the food, service and views from the restaurant. Made the whole evening special. Service is spot-on but not stuffy. Food was exceptional. Don't miss the sticky toffee pudding. We will be back.Special Features:
- frequentboulderdinerDined on 8/10/2014We really enjoyed our diner at Flagstaff. The ambiance, setting and service were outstanding. Although the food was very good, it did not live up to our expectations or (I feel) justify the very high prices. I was expecting a "French Laundry" type of experience and it didn't meet that expectation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for special occasionsPickyNhungryDined on 8/8/2014Menu is very entertaining, several complimentary plates as part of your dining experience.. Consider these as part of your meal so you don't run out of steam before second course.Special Features:
- Memorable evening!MichaelVIPDined on 8/8/2014We were celebrating a niece's accomplishment and a friend's birthday. Great food, great service, and awesome view!Special Features: