Five21 - The Oread Hotel
1200 Oread Ave
Lawrence, KS 66044Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Five21 - The Oread Hotel
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theoread.com/
- Phone: 7858303921x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American
- Executive Chef: Todd Schneekloth
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Looking for the perfect place to host an unforgettable party or intimate gathering? There is no need to look any further. With the ability to rent your own space and the affordable prices, The Oread is the ultimate environment to let loose and let your worries escape you. From a delightful dinner and dance in one of our spectacular ballrooms to a night of dancing and laughing in the bars, the opportunities are endless. The assortment of food that our amazing chefs can prepare upon request and the atmosphere will put guests in a state of complete enjoyment and utter amazement.
- Private Party Facilities: Please call Anders for more information regarding private dining.
- Private Party Contact: Anders Wibskov 7858431200x
A word from Five21 - The Oread Hotel
Five 21 is located on the lobby level of the The Oread, Lawrence’s newest premiere hotel. Perched atop Mount Oread, at the north gate of The University of Kansas, The Oread has spectacular views over the Kaw River Valley, across to the campus Campanile and the KU Football Stadium. Five 21 features the best in New American cuisine in a casually elegant setting, with abundant natural daylight adding to the restaurant's spacious ambiance. Five 21 also has one of the region's most complete wine lists.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Five21 - The Oread Hotel - Best Restaurants in Lawrence ›
Five21 - The Oread Hotel reviews from OpenTable diners
5 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (4)good for groups (3)notable wine list (2)romantic (2)fit for foodies (1)great for outdoor dining (1)kid-friendly (1)neighborhood gem (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Wonderful ExperianceNeweaterDined on 9/26/2014I really enjoyed this restaurant. The atmosphere is wonderful. Wait staff was great. The menu is one page because they do those items very well. Large wine list. Be sure to take the elevator to the top of the hotel after diner to take in the amazing views of lawrence, ksSpecial Features:
- Service and atmosphereBABADined on 9/21/2014The atmosphere was like eating in a cold castle,fortunately we were seated by a window which helped. Food was good especially our appetizers, recommended by our waitress Marissa who was outstanding, friendly and knowledgeable. We had her as our waitress at the Eldridge Hotel earlier that week and were delighted to see her again at the Oread 21.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceJayinKCDined on 9/11/2014The food and the waitstaff were both very good. Very knowledgable about the menu and wine list. The food was excellent especially the sea scallops appetizer. My wife had the pork chops which were excellent and I had the 12oz KC Strip which was very good. We also had breakfast there both days we were staying at The Oread and the breakfast was good as well.Special Features:
- The following 110 reviews are from the Five21 - The Oread Hotel reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/26/2014We celebrated our 51st wedding anniversary. The food, service and atmosphere met our expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mothers Day BrunchAmFHDined on 5/11/2014We enjoyed a brunch for Mother's day. The brunch went until 3:00 and our reservation was not until 2:30, while many of the dishes were available the meat station closed down before we were able to get any and several of the stations were poorly stocked.Special Features:
- Food?watlongDined on 5/11/2014My wife and I are old enough to have spent many holiday brunches at various places around the area, including 3 prior times at your restaurant. While the Oread location is convenient for my family members, we have always lamented that the quality of the food isn't better. It's OK, but with the beutiful location and good service we do enjoy, we do not feel the food has ever been one of the positives, particularly at the prices charged.Special Features:
- Noisy at firstOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/8/2014We were seated in the front redtsurant, on a nousy Thurs evening. I thiught we'd have to leave because some of our group have hearing problems. Once the staff became aware of the isdue the quietly moved us to a much nicer & quieter location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014My husband and I "double dated" with my parents. We were celebrating our 27th anniversary and my folks their 57th. My dad chose the Oread and we had a terrific time being together. The food was delicious and the atmosphere just right for such a night out. Thank you!Special Features:
- Five21OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/2/2014The food was amazing along with the service. The workers made me and my date feel special with the chef coming out to check on how we were and how the food was made me feel like I was apart of the process. Overall it was perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter Brunch a DisappointmentHawaiianFlavorVIPDined on 4/20/2014I was excited to make reservations for Easter Brunch at Five21 because I remember having an enjoyable experience last year. I was extremely disappointed, however, in this year's event. First, the brunch seemed sparsely attended. There were a few tables of families, but it was nothing like the super-busy Easter Brunches I've seen at other hotels. Even last year at this same venue there were many more attendees, it seemed. The food selection was poor, even though the dishes tasted good. I ended up eating more pasta salad than anything because I didn't have much to pick from. Perhaps they had a small selection because they weren't expecting many people. Who knows. The desserts were good, though. I probably will not return next year.Special Features:
- Pleasantly SurprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/15/2014Had a terrific experience. The restaurant was clean and comfortable. The menu had a nice selection of dishes for the meat or fish lover. I had the filet, my wife the Steak Diane, my daughter had the Salmon and my son the mixed seafood plate. All were ample servings, very well prepared and delicious. Best of all, we had a great server (John) which made the experience all the better. He was helpful and enthusiastic, knew the menu extremely well and the bar even better. Recommended a rare IPA beer to my son which was outstanding. Valet parking is free and John even took our valet tickets to get the car while I was finishing the bill (smart!) so the cars would be ready when we left.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vday disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014The server was extremely unfamiliar with the menu, unable to describe what things were because he "didn't get a chance to try it," and he made no offer to find out and report back. Two of the three steaks our table ordered were severely overcooked and were sent back. The manager offered to comp dessert. We ordered two desserts to share, and the manager brought one of the desserts, truffles, over in a to-go box. Only problem was that there were three truffles for four people. Apparently he talked to the server, came over and tried to say that those truffles were for someone else and that our desserts would be out shortly. Overall, food was decent once cooked properly, but I expect the server to know and be able to explain the holiday menu.
- nice placeShawdeeDined on 2/8/2014The atmosphere was a little loud that night due to it being immediately after a KU basketball game. We were looking for a quiet semi-romantic restaurant for our anniversary. It was a little close quarters and loud for that type of celebration....but the food was delicious, our waiter very helpful and nice, and will definitely come back again for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Save your money.SaltyDined on 1/18/2014Service was friendly and courteous, but slow, slow, slow. Food was OK, but disappointing for the price. Won't be back.Special Features:
- Poor Service Says It AllOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013Service was bad. Slow; 20 minutes just to get water, an hour for the food to arrive. One order was incorrect. The food is okay but not worth the $50 per person cost. The location and atmosphere are great. However, it appears the restaurant relies on one-time patrons who are staying at the hotel. I can't see too many locals making this a regular stop. Although I can see those higher socioeconomic class patrons returning to this restaurant. The only guest we observed receiving good service was the KU football coach. This restaurant should consider that service is part of the product. For now they can probably rely on the local social elite and unsuspecting hotel guests, until the poor services compels them from returning too.
- Christmas Day48thand8thDined on 12/25/2013I took my wife, oldest son, and his youngest daughter (my granddaughter) to an evening dinner at The Oread on Christmas Day. Our reservations were handled very well, the staff greeted us and had our table set very elegantly. My salmon was absolutely cooked to perfection and our food and drinks were all very satisfying. The price is a little high but I will return to this restaurant often. Thank you Oread for adding to our Christmas Day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful!!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/24/2013I don't know were to start the service was horrible the food was cold and barely edible. I had to get up and get my own condiments the server was no were to be found!! We would have complained if we would have ever seen the server or a manager before the bill came. We had two small children with us and making a scene was not how I wanted to spend my Christmas Eve. After a extended time of waiting for the check we were just relieved to get out off of there and don't have any intentions of coming back!!
- What happened?MilanoVIPDined on 12/23/2013We are from out of town and this was our second time over the holidays and there Has been a drastic change, Food, service amd ambiance are mediocre at best So disappointing - we wont be returning
- Great FoodIrieDined on 12/7/2013Food was outstanding from the scallops, sides, and steak. Everything was prepared perfectly presented wall and best of wall was delicious. Pricing was on par for food and a restaurant of this quality. Service was on par and attentive.Special Features:
- Food was good but pricey.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/28/2013Food was good but pricey. Would expect far more choices with entres.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- custom-madeveggieDined on 11/11/2013The online menu had a nice selection of veggie stuff, but when we got there it was a different menu and we didn't want any of the few veggie options. So the waiter bot the chef to come out to talk to us and see what we might like. He came up with a really nice dish of portabello and asparagus with bearnaise sauce and thinly-sliced sauteed zucchini and yellow squash with chopped tomatoes and garlic. The waiter was terrific, which added to the pleasantness of the evening. The desert --- creme brulee --- was overpowered by a mountain of whipped cream and a little heavy. We were the only customers, which probably helped the chef's and waiter's attentiveness, but we're grateful anyway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Five 21 - passjtedebateDined on 10/26/2013On KU game days they cut the menu in half (already small) with almost nothing from the regular menu. The website never said anything about a game day menu! I had the "French Chicken"-good, but the dish only had mashed potatoes (incomplete). Music from a wedding reception meant that we virtually had to scream at one another. Poor communication between the front and back of the house as well. Most of their desserts are also bought from a distributor, not in-house. The bread they brought us was tasteless. They do not carry most of the wines in their large booklet of wines choices. With all these problems, the manager was very nice and very apologetic. He comped the meal and asked us to return...hmmm, not sure. If so, it will most likelySpecial Features:
- While the service was good,jayhawkmarauderDined on 10/17/2013While the service was good, the quality and variety of food has diminished. My husband's pasta was bland and my fish was over-cooked and greasy. On a Wednesday, they were out of crab cakes and another entrée. The desserts were the same as always although my crème brulee was smaller than last time.Special Features:
- I thought the service wasliwarrenDined on 9/6/2013I thought the service was very very slow due to the how not busy the restaurant was. Steak was excellent! I had the filet with asparagus (I got 4 skinny stems). The group I was with also had mashed potatoes but were cold. Overall, however, it was worth the trip.Special Features:
- Restaurant felt like anywhere USAGreatPlaceBadNewMenuVIPDined on 9/4/2013For being probably the most expensive restaurant in Lawrence I wish it had more ambiance. The stone walls are very unique, however the dinner lighting is even, fluorescent, the furnishing feel cafeteria-esque, and the above all the table settings are nothing innovative just booths and tables. The lighting is really really bad. Some suggestions would be table spots and maybe a wall graze on all of that stone. Really emphasis the uniqueness of the cave feeling. I had hoped for so much more. On the bright side the food was somewhat better. Mahi mahi soup (taste was ok though). Steaks were ordered medium rare and they came out with just a tiny but if red inside (more medium well). Vegie a were good, mashed potatoes were flavor able
- Excellent foodHarryDined on 5/24/2013This is my 2nd time to this restaurant. The first time the food was horrible, this time it was excellent. Who knows? BUT, I went up on the balcony on the 9th floor and it is one of the best views in Kansas. A must see!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing!BonbonDined on 5/17/2013Made a reservation early due to graduation weekend. I wanted a special dinner to celebrate this special occasion of graduation. 7 of us walk in and they take us past the restaurant into a back room where they set up tables for overflow? I felt like I was sitting in a warehouse! Do I look that dumb After a drink and appetizers I told the hostess this location for overflow guests was unacceptable. They moved us but this was very disappointing. Food was just fair, service fair, and all that for $500! I would never go Back. Went to the Eldridge the next night and for half the price had an exceptional dinner!
- Enjoyed the serviceFirstvisitVIPDined on 5/17/2013The service was outstanding, but the food was only "good." It was fine, just not the caliber of food you would expect in what appears to be a fine dining restaurant. In particular, my pork belly seemed to have been prepared well in advance of the meal. Possibly not "crisped" as seems to be the typical presentation, but more "cooked." A heavy crust -
- Sea BassHarryDined on 5/15/2013It was my first time there, and I was excited to be at the first of 3 biz meetings I have scheduled the next couple weeks. If I would not have been with clients I would not have paid for this meal. It tasted like grease, horrible and I am not very pickey. Atmosphere and stafff were excellent.
- Mother's Day BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/12/2013Very, very disappointing..... Will never take my mother there for her special brunch again. Felt like cattle herded into a banquet room. Whole layout was uninviting & felt like we were at a cheap restaurant. Poor quality & variety of food. Dessert table was pitiful being filled with "packaged", cheap desserts -- nothing special to choose from. Nothing special about anything we encountered in the experience. The descriptors for noise level don't fit - the room was loud & obnoxious & difficult for my parents to hear the conversation - "Energetic" is too nice of a descriptor. Wouldn't have minded spending that price for a brunch if it was of quality. 18% gratuity added on was ridiculous for a buffet & poor service. Won't do that again - ever.
- AVOID, AVOID, AVOID...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/12/2013Visited for Mother's Day brunch. Service was good, but food was horrible. Only high point was the man working the omelette station. He was great. Thought we were at a low budget cafeteria. Breakfast selections were barely edible; but chicken, fish and pasta were horrid! At a high priced brunch ($27.95 per person), you at least expect good deserts. They were all thawed from frozen, except for the mango cheesecake which was still frozen on the desert table. The tarts were terrible and they felt it appropriate to put out a ton of donuts. For 5 people we spent almost $200 and would have had a much better meal at IHOP. We will never visit this restaurant again and the chef should clearly go back to whatever school cafeteria he/she came from!Special Features:
- The scallops appetizer wasBattler16Dined on 4/19/2013The scallops appetizer was memorable. Very attentive wait staff.Special Features:
- Unfortnuately my reservationdcbbsbVIPDined on 4/13/2013Unfortnuately my reservation was booked for a time when the restaurant was not open. I had a lunch reservation and the restaurant did not open until 5:00 p.m. Obviously, someone was asleep at the reservation book!Hotel staff was initially rude when they learned of the problem, advising that I "should understand" that the restaurant did not open for lunch. Showing my E-mailed Open Table confirmation did not change staff's attitude. The hotel manager was more sympathetic,and she apologized, but offered no accommodation.
- The scallop appetizer wasOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/9/2013The scallop appetizer was perfect as was the chocolate desert with carmel praline ice cream. The sea bass was ok but did not exhibit the tender flavor we usually associate with it. All-in-all, it was a delightful evening.
- The waitress was completelyKtinaVIPDined on 2/11/2013The waitress was completely overwhelmed. We never received our second set of drinks, our waters were empty and we never got ketsup that we needed for the burger. Pretty horrible service. Won't go back.
- I always love eating here!JaneVIPDined on 2/2/2013I always love eating here! It is such a beautiful and unique location. And I have always had a great meal. My husband had the chicken which was a little dry and I had salmon which was delicious.Special Features:
- Skip the terrible food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/25/2013The service was terrible (waited 20 mins in between courses to check on us, fill water, etc.), the $12 Oread hamburger was an 1/8 lb hamburger, our soup was delivered to the wrong table and then after it was sat at the wrong table it was brought to our table. The restaurant has a beautiful interior, but take a looksie at it, then head up to the top floor for the view and skip the food at Five21. I would have to find a very good reason to return.
- After replacing our drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/24/2013After replacing our drinks with the correct whiskey (bourbon, not scotch), we had a delightful meal. Both entrees were beef dishes, and the steaks were flavorful and cooked to order. Spinach salad was heavy on the spinach with a few green peas and beens hidden at the bottom of the plate for interest. The menu was brief but interesting, as was the dessert menu. Pumpkin creme brûlée was delightful. Ambiance was acceptable; however, big screen TV's seemed out of place in a fine dining establishment.
- Menu with variety, good foodDaveDined on 11/3/2012Menu with variety, good food and above average service in a nice setting within the Oread Hotel.Special Features:
- Server was efficient and friendly.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2012Server was efficient and friendly. Good green salad (Organic Field Greens). My entry (sea bass) was too salty. Dessert (cobbler) had a very weird taste. I'd give the service a 5 (out of 5) and the food a 2.Special Features: