Five Horses Tavern - South End
535 Columbus Ave
Boston, MA 02118Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Five Horses Tavern - South End
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://fivehorsestavern.com/
- Phone: 617-936-3930x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Friday: 11:30AM - 12:00AM
Saturday & Sunday: 10:00AM-12:00AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Five Horses Tavern - South End
Our second location! Five Horses Tavern is built on craft beers from around the world. Offering 40 rotating drafts and 50 bottles. Our kitchen serves locally sourced modern American comfort food with many vegetarian options.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Five Horses Tavern - South End - Best Restaurants in South End ›
Five Horses Tavern - South End reviews from OpenTable diners
24 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (16)neighborhood gem (14)great for brunch (9)great for lunch (8)vibrant bar scene (6)fit for foodies (6)good for groups (3)late-night find (3)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Foodie6VIPDined on 7/13/2014Had a quick brunch and a couple beers here with a friend. Awesome beer list, with some locals as well as great finds from overseas. Overall the food was good, my eggs were cooked perfectly, but the brioche was stale. We also had 3 different servers over the course of an hour, which felt very disjointed and inconsistent. Also, we only got one 'pat' of butter for the bread...and had to ask repeatedly for more...and they only came one at a time. I'd probably go back and sit at the bar versus at a table on the patio, mainly for more consistent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sonnyDined on 6/28/2014Beer menu has more pages than the food menu. Cannot go wrong.Special Features:
- nicely donebuddyDined on 6/24/2014Service is a bit erratic but food and drink are always good portions a bit small but very tasty nicely doneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good brunch spoiledOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/25/2014I usually love 5 horses and this brunch was great EXCEPT our 3 cocktails, (one was a full pint glass) got accidentally dumped all over my friend, who had to sit in wet clothing through the whole meal. The staff were very apologetic, offered to pay for dry cleaning but then gave her a free drink. ONE drink and made her pay for her lunch. I'm sorry, but if you dump enough liquid on a patron to saturate their outfit (truly very little of it went elsewhere), comp her entire meal, drinks and all. She was very patient, kind - didn't give the wait staff a hard time - we all understood these things happen, but to me, the response was lacking.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchgourmandDined on 5/18/2014Interesting menu, both bar and food. Nothing was quite as flavorful as expected. Nice place, average foodSpecial Features:
- seen it beforedisappointedDined on 5/18/2014The food attempted to satisfy foodies but something was missing in each of our 3 brunch dishes. Just a bit off the mark. On the other hand, it had foodie'ish prices. So ended up being another South End place for 20-30 somethings with money to waste. Nothing special except the staff. They were outstandingly genuine and helpful and promptly and courteously responded to everything from refilling water glasses to swapping out a bad dish for something else.
- Great Brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/18/2014Food & Service was great. I will definetley go back!Special Features:
- Great brunchOldsendDined on 5/18/2014We've been for brunch several weeks and the menu never disappoints. Definitely try the donut holes and cinnamon bun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ridin' 5 HorsesJfranklinDined on 5/17/2014Good neighborhood restaurant in the Southend. The chicken fingers looked good. (The table next to me ordered them) I ordered the pork belly taco was good. The apple short rib on cheese grits was ok. Worth going back. Decent prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 17 reviews are from the Five Horses Tavern - South End reviews archive.
- Choices, choicesEmmerlinerDined on 4/26/2014Interesting menu. Many choices for vegetarians. A vast beer menu. Our enthusiastic waiter encouraged tasting the beer before deciding on one. My dish, roasted cod was delicious. The salads were good as well. Only one choice for dessert, which wasn't very good. All in all I would say it was a good experience.Special Features:
- Delicious Easter BrunchYummyDined on 4/20/2014I dined here with my family for Easter Brunch and it was amazing. We had never been before and I was not sure what to expect. The food was delicious and our server was attentive and friendly. The menu offered vegan and traditional options- something for everyone. Great casual and relaxed atmosphere. I highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulous beer and foodRegulardinerVIPDined on 4/18/2014Wow! What a great discovery. We went here before the Red Sox game on Friday night. Everyone in our party loved their food, and the beer is outstanding. My Dad, who is a beer fan, has been raving about the food all weekend. He had the smoked chicken. Another guest had the fish tacos - - he loves Mexican food, and also raved about the food. Love the Boulder Shake...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulousMaeQDined on 4/5/2014Perfect brunch spot, expansive menu with plenty of vegan, vegetarian, and gluten free options alongside all the good stuffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has PotentialOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/30/2014Was so looking forward to brunch, and it was a BUST. Drinks: Ice coffee beverage was watered down, and not cold brew coffee. Grapefruit Bellini was nothing more than cheap champange and a splash of canned grapefruit juice. Donuts: Over cooked, in oil that was not hot enough so they were totally greasy and tasted of old oil. There was also not a whisper of maple flavor anywhere. Eggs and Grits w/Pork Belly - The pork belly was grey and flaccid. Enough said. Baked Eggs: Eggs were baked so long, they were essentially hardboiled. Thyme Biscuit: The B's could use it for a hat trick. 7 Grain Toast: Literally so much butter, it was soggy. Blech. Awful all the way around.
- Excellent BrunchJessDined on 3/23/2014I've now been to both locations of Five Horses - three times for brunch and once for dinner. It's consistently some of the more creative and delicious food I've found around town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- stampede!BSOgirlVIPDined on 3/20/2014We stopped into Five Horses before going to BSO this past week. It was great! Service was very attentive and friendly. The menu is small, but sufficient, and the food very good - lighter than is usual at a beer-focused tavern too.Special Features:
- Great Place!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/2/2014I came this past Sunday morning and loved the restaurant! The food was great and so was the server. Both of the hosts were also fantastic and very hospitable. Great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time and I will go backJimWDined on 2/16/2014Went for brunch and plan to go back for dinner. Nice addition to the neighborhood. Great beer selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch selection, withWolfie88VIPDined on 2/2/2014Great brunch selection, with very tasty choices. The chimichanga was a delicious brunch item - wil be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great beer selection and foodchemguyDined on 1/24/2014The waiter was very knowledgeable about the food and beer selection, but a bit too busy so we didn't see them often. It was a Friday night though. Otherwise a great experience and I'll definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Popular but CaringBillDined on 1/17/2014There was a crazy large group in the place, for a engagement party or something, so they had a hard time getting us our reserved table for three. But they bent over backwards trying to be accommodating, found us a place to squeeze in, and were very attentive to our needs. Many places would have let the large crowd distract them from their other customers, but not 5 Horses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for brunch, "meh"monsterdashDined on 1/12/2014We went in for a Sunday brunch reservation, for which we were promptly seated. This was my first visit to either of the Five Horses Tavern locations. I can see why the place is always crowded at night. As a bar with the specialty and small batch beers, it's an absolute win for that customer. However, as a brunch place, I would send you elsewhere without hesitation. The food was good, but didn't leave me wanting more or wanting to come back. As in the title, it wasn't a bad or good meail, simply one of complete and utter ambivalence towards the restaurant. So there you have it, my rating of "meh". PS. The only have a limited liquor license, so any of those bloody marys are only made with various cordials, etc.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceGilroyDined on 1/11/2014This was my first visit to Five Horses. Very casual , but cool vibe. They seated us right away. Our waitress was friendly, attentive and was able to answer all of our questions. The food was fantastic. All four people in our party had great meals. We started with the grilled brie. Thumbs up. Other highlights were the cod, the veggie pizza and the pulled chicked sandwich. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- No dessert???theatergoerDined on 1/11/2014We were happy with the over all experience, however we were disappointed there was no dessert. They said it's because they were a new restaurant. Hopefully they'll complete their menu soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attention & ConsistencyRTBBostonVIPDined on 1/11/2014Have been to 5HT before and love the food. First time having brunch. All 3 in my party had an item that included the fried chicken. Unfortunately it was fried too long and made the chicken dry. Our server, Mack, forgot my app order placed when ordering drinks. At least it wasn't on the bill so he forgot it entirely (restaurant was pretty empty at that time). The brunch drinks were great! Disappointed as this was the first time bringing My hubby. Might be a new chef or he has a bad night/morning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was here for lunch, so didn'tSteveVIPDined on 1/10/2014Was here for lunch, so didn't sample the vast draft and bottled beer selections (a good excuse to come back), but the lunch menu was great! Very creative combinations of ingredients in fresh and tasty renditions of popular lunch items. I had the corn and avocado soup, which was tasty but a bit on the bland side, followed by the baked cod which was outstanding. My guest had the chili which looked fantastic, and by the comments seemed to go down well. This is certainly a place I will come back to often, and a very welcome addition to our South End fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.