Five Horses Tavern - Davis Square
400 Highland Ave
Somerville, MA 02144Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Five Horses Tavern - Davis Square
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://fivehorsestavern.com/davis-square
- Phone: 6177641655x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30AM - 1:00AM
Saturday & Sunday: Brunch 10:30AM-3:00PM last call 1AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Five Horses Tavern - Davis Square
Five Horses Tavern is built on craft beers from around the world. Offering 36 rotating drafts and 120 bottles. Our kitchen serves locally sourced modern American comfort food with many vegetarian options.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Five Horses Tavern - Davis Square - Best Restaurants in Somerville ›
Five Horses Tavern - Davis Square reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
great for brunch (29)neighborhood gem (28)good for groups (23)vibrant bar scene (18)great for lunch (15)fit for foodies (14)hot spot (11)kid-friendly (9)great for outdoor dining (8)special occasion (6)late-night find (5)romantic (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Good place for a drinkOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014I like Five Horses for a drink -- they have an extensive wine list, good cocktails, and a diverse range of beer on tap. But the food is always disappointing. Everything on the menu sounds like it will be significantly better than it turns out to be -- largely because any dish they make with bread will be incredibly heavy on the bread, and light on meat/vegetable/etc. I probably won't be eating there very frequently, although I would certainly go back for drinks.Special Features:
- Food is good but service is only OKomercankDined on 8/17/2014It is in a great neighborhood, vibrant and well-designed place. The food is good too. The only problem is its service. It's still not on par with its environment. Too much wait for simple stuff and many little mistakes, such as bringing the same food twice (forgetting the first time.) It's still a place that I would recommend to my friends.Special Features:
- best brunchMoc98Dined on 8/17/2014service, food and drinks were all exceptional as always! One of my favorite brunch spots! Cap n French Toast, tater tots, ice boxes and bloody marys are all my favorite!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 Horses is Great for BrunchGypWesDined on 8/17/2014A killer menu, great and friendly service. If you have a dog, they're cool with you having it out on the sidewalk/outdoor seating with you and are attentive (re-filled the water bowl without me asking, brought treats etc). A small insignificant example but goes a long way and a good microcosm to the care and service in the food and staff. Oh yea, the food is incredible, particularly for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Holiday Brunch!luv2dine2Dined on 7/4/2014One of the few places to offer brunch on holidays. Must try the chimichanga and the fried chicken salad.Special Features:
- Too bad about the constructionBrunchRegularDined on 6/21/2014Service was fairly quick and I had a delicious cocktail... but the food that came out was under-seasoned, bordering on bland. How one makes bland pork belly I don't know, but 5 Horses pulled it off. This was my first visit, and I will likely give them another try, but another negative was the construction across the street. On a beautiful Saturday with the windows open, the sound of that power sander or whatever was sound loud I couldn't hear my brunch partner sitting across from me. Still, I liked the feel of the places, and will come back hoping to be impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice place, the food is goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014I've come here a few times before. The staff is always very friendly, the food is always very good and unique.Special Features:
- Overrated7PinerDinerVIPDined on 6/8/2014We decided to have dinner there with an out of town visitor based on the restaurant's ranking in Boston Magazine as the best restaurant in Davis Square. We were disappointed. This is definitely not the best of Davis Square and if you broaden your geographical range by a few blocks it falls even lower on the list. The menu is limited, except of course for the beer selections, and the food is meh. The pork was seriously dry, the kale salad soggy, and the thrice fried fingerling potatoes presented very badly. There are many better options in the area (many not on Open Table) and we won't be going back.
- Moc98Dined on 6/8/2014Food took longer than usual but worth the wait as I love the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get BrunchedCandJDined on 5/31/2014This was the second time I brought a big crew for brunch, and the second time the staff's been great and the food's been excellent. Everyone I've brought has been impressed with the quality of the food, and we're always able to comfortably sit and chat even after we're done eating (which we'd only do if the place is not too busy). I've never felt rushed or guilted for having a big group, and I will always recommend this place for brunch, whether it's two of us or fifteen. Start with the donut holes; they are magical.Special Features:
- Menu was more than Five HorsePower!diningdivaVIPDined on 5/23/2014Five Horse Tavern has an amazing menu. Every category of food - apps, salads, sandwiches, pizza's are all worth studying given the variety of unusual ingredients put together in unanticipated combinations that look, sound and ultimately TASTE DELICIOUS. Every palette will find something to savor. Fresh, fresh ingredients!Special Features:
- graduation dinnerRachDined on 5/17/2014We had a group of 7 and it was perfect. The fun menu was ideal for the mix of old and young. It was a little hard for the old folks to hear but that would be true of any pub.Special Features:
- Solid Boston Brunch!SoleilDined on 5/17/2014Easy to make a reservation during graduation weekend, and a fabulous brunch. Will definitely come back.Special Features:
- great food and service!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/16/2014Had a fantastic server and a great night overall!Special Features:
- MingliciousDined on 5/10/2014My boyfriend and I are fairly new to Cambridge/Somerville, and last weekend we wanted a place to go get a casual-ish dinner and enjoy a few drinks. We chose Five Horses because of the impressive beer selection; indeed, we were both content with the depth and breadth of the beer selection, and we happily tried a few local brews to go with our meal. The food was decent, but nothing to write home about -- your typical hopped up (pardon the pun) bar food. Service was great, everyone was friendly. The place was bustling, even at 5:30. Crowd was a good mix (of male/female, older/younger, etc.).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very accommodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/7/2014We had a group of twelve for lunch and the staff was very accommodating in seating us together. Service was great and the food is fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot Spot!BeerluvDined on 5/6/2014Loved the tavern and will be back. Great food, great menu, large variety of craft beer. Excellent service as we'll.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 21 reviews are from the Five Horses Tavern - Davis Square reviews archive.
- Nay to the Horses - all 5 of them!mitchVIPDined on 4/24/2014I usually don't write negative reviews but if I'm honest, I had heard about 5 horses from a colleague as a fun, good place in Somerville. It was fun in that the energy was good and cool in that a lot of young people were there but that's where it ended. If you're going for a beer with friends, fine, but that's about it. The service is poor, the food is fair and for a bar that touts itself as a whiskey bar, its choices are limited and its prices are a little silly.
- tasty foodRestaurantSceneDined on 4/21/2014Had a quick dinner here before a movie in Davis Square; creative fare well done, efficient, helpful service. Fun scene, but a little loud for conversation.Special Features:
- Davis Square Hot Spot14lochlassVIPDined on 4/12/2014Wonderful eclectic menu with lots of delicious healthy options. We loved the vegetarian grazing plate. We had a 5:45 reservation and the place was hopping. Will try the tofu reuben when we return. Great spot for a quick bite before heading to the movies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yumsteakeater2Dined on 4/12/2014We had a great time at Five Horses on 4/12/14. The food was very good and offers something a little bit different than the typical Cambridge/Somerville restaurant. I love the tacos and the calamari was also good. The one drawback is that tables of 2 are relegated to the rear of the restaurant far from the energetic bar scene and are pushed almost uncomfortably close together (my backside grazed the table next to us whenever I had to get up).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 21st bdayamygDined on 4/6/2014Celebrated our son's 21st bday her and had a great time. Food, service and drinks all terrific! Perfect place for pub food and relaxing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite SpotErikGDined on 4/5/2014Recently moved to the area; have been a few times and it's been a great experience. Staff is extremely knowledgeable and is able to give good recommendations, whether it's on food or drinks. Love the beer menu, plenty of selection and brews i've never heard of before which are fun to try. Definitely recommend going at anytime, whether it's for brunch or drinks with friends to watch March Madness.Special Features:
- Good food, trendy, too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/4/2014Ive eaten here for lunch and dinner and the two experiences were wildly different. At dinner the lights come way down and the music is turned way up so that it is more like being at a club where they serve food than it is a dining experience. Food is good with an interesting twist on things. At lunch I really enjoyed it. At dinner I was trying to catch up with 2 friends I hadn't seen in a while and we could barely hear each other across the table. When we entered the lights were low and they turned them down further so you could barely read the menu! It really is more of a bar scene with decent food than it is a place to "dine"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed!Precious1Dined on 3/26/2014I ordered the pan roasted cod which was dry and tasteless! It was served with a butternut squash-chili salsa which was way to spicy and the risotto cake was unimpressive!Special Features:
- Great brunch, good choicesJLL5Dined on 3/23/2014Met family for brunch last Sunday. Menu was creative with lots of options and meals were very good. Nice place and it is nice to be able to get a reservation and not stand in line on the street like many other options nearby. I would highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Sunday morning findjackcDined on 3/23/2014Our reservation was for 10:30, and the doors opened precisely at that time. Four or five other guests who were also waiting were seated, as were we, immediately. Very creative brunch menu, and, althouth my wife and I didn't imbibe, I wished it were a few hours later in the day. The beer and whiskey menus ate extensive! Our server, Deidre, was outstanding! She was knowledgable and attentive to our needs. Great spot.... will visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchErikGDined on 3/15/2014Moved to the neighborhood and was told I had to check this place out. Brunch was incredible, definitely worth coming back for. Will be checking it out again.Special Features:
- Unique flavorsUmmmmGoodVIPDined on 3/8/2014How could we not know about the wonderfully different and exciting food at this Best of Boston "neighborhood restaurant" winner? The banzo cake starter was spicy, crisp and cooked perfectly. The "Showstopper" was a unique combo of pulled pork, chicken liver mousse, and maple ginger carrots between a very light delicious bread allowing the flavors to come through. The "Farmer's Market" was a club sandwich of veggies whose tastes jumped through the 7 grain bread. Oh, did I mention the best tater tots ever: light, hot. So good I never even open the ketchup. It is a vibrant place filled with students, couples, groups, and families with children. Noisy but full of wonderful, friendly energy. We cannot wait to try their main entrees next time.Special Features:
- Great brunch doesn't = great lunchbjune19Dined on 3/4/2014I was looking for a lunch spot for a work meeting in the Davis/Porter/North Cambridge area I was delighted to see that they serve lunch (very few places do in this area). We got a great, quiet and comfortable booth and that's about where the good things stopped. The restaurant was practically empty but it took more than 30 minutes to get our food. When we nicely checked in with our waiter about this, she snapped and told us "No you havent!". I expect a waiter to be sympathetic and apologetic, not rude and accusatory. A few of us thought the food was fine, my tacos were not good. Again, I have had good experiences on Sat and Sun for brunch. Lunch on a weekday though was a different story
- Good food and drink, fun atmospherecooksnightoutDined on 2/22/2014Had a fun birthday celebration here with friends. Could only get an early (4:45) dinner reservation for our large party on a Saturday night, and the place was already packed when we got there. Excellent service, outstanding food and drink. Our pitcher of Sangria was large and delicious. Portions were generous, and good choices for the vegetarians/gluten-free in our crowd. It's a lively (noisy) place, so conversation was a little bit challenging, but still worth it for a night out with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant atmosphere with goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/19/2014Pleasant atmosphere with good service. Food is standard bar food. Great care taken to help the person with food allergies. We try to eat there when we go to the Somerville Theatre. The cornish hen was fried bu very well cooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/16/2014Great ambiance with a cozy fireplace in the winter, great beer and cocktails and a fantastic brunch. Don't miss this Davis Square Gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed our experience,LorrieDined on 2/14/2014We enjoyed our experience, it was more casual than I expected. It was loud, there were lots of kids around . I had the seared tuna, cooked well but way toooo salty!! We would return had a great beer list that my husband appreciated. Probably not the best spot for a couples valentines day dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Focus on the foodTinyCelloDined on 2/7/2014Five Horses is a great neighborhood bar with many rotating taps of solid beers. The waitress was a good combination of friendly and attentive (but not too aggressive with the next round of beers). However, if you are looking to dine here, please take into account that some dishes will be hits and some will be misses. The calamari was a bit greasy. The duck ramen was just a disappointment. The broth lacked depth of flavor and the raw green cabbage was an after thought. I felt hungry after eating this dish. This could be an amazing dish if it had a little TLC. My friend got the tacos and was completely satisfied. I would recommend this place for drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Place in Davis SquareChangeAgentDesDined on 1/29/2014Best place in Davis square. Huge beer list. Fun. Mac+Cheese is perfect. Pork belly tacos great. Chicken finger app superb. Love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendy and kid friendly!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/8/2014In my experience, 5 Horses is a great space for a date, a drink, or a lazy lunch with a little kid. They're friendly, prompt, food is delicious, and beer list is superb. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice stopgenacmVIPDined on 12/1/2013Stopped for a late lunch before dropping off at South Station. Great beer selection, interesting food selection. We tried a bunch of things and can highly recommend the baked brie and the korean wings. Need to get the calimari a little crispier and add a sauce, but overall a nice lunch.