555 Congress Street
Portland, ME 04101Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fivefifty-five.com/
- Phone: (207) 761-0555
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Brunch: Sunday: 9:30am - 2:00pm
Our bar opens at 4:30 nightly.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Stephen Corry
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We host business dinners and presentations, rehearsal dinners and small weddings, and everything in between! Our semi-private space can seat up to 18 people, and our newly renovated, fully private room holds groups up to 30 people. Buy-out options of the main dining room and entire restaurant may also be available for larger functions.
Please contact Sarah for more information about our accommodations and to discuss your upcoming event.
- Private Party Contact: Sarah Allenby, email@example.com 2072007665x
- Special Events: The holidays are here! We are open on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve (closed Christmas Day and Dec. 26). Join us to celebrate on one of these holidays or any other night this season! Private and semi-private dining options are available for corporate and personal parties.
A word from Five Fifty-Five
Steve and Michelle Corry, the proprietors of Five Fifty-Five, arrived in Portland armed with a passionate vision and extensive experience in the restaurant industry. Steve began his culinary career as a brew master at several breweries in Northern California. In 1999, he attended the New England Culinary Institute in Burlington Vermont. After graduating in 2001, he returned to California to work at Domaine Chandon in Napa Valley. A graduate of Boston University with a Bachelor's Degree in Hotel and Restaurant Administration, Michelle Corry has worked at numerous prestigious establishments, including the French Laundry in Napa. Together, they have envisioned a dining experience that would combine a comfortable atmosphere, professional service, and fresh, simple, and delicious food sourced locally. Steve and Michelle Corry would like to welcome you to their first collaborative, Five Fifty-Five.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Five Fifty-Five - Best Restaurants in Portland ›
Five Fifty-Five reviews from OpenTable diners
152 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (120)special occasion (98)romantic (72)notable wine list (61)neighborhood gem (38)hot spot (21)good for groups (14)vibrant bar scene (9)great for brunch (4)late-night find (3)scenic view (3)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Portland Gem555gDined on 11/22/2014Awsome service, awesome food, and awesome spirits-we'll be back :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 555 rates 5 stars!VictoriaDined on 11/16/2014We have dined here a number of times, but not recently. It was a great return trip! Excellent service, great variety of food choices, all served at the right pace. My husband had the 5 course tasting menu and raved about it. Portions were ample, not small as you might expect. This has become our favorite place to experience fine dining in Portland and we often recommend it to friends or visitors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a treat!JudyBDined on 11/12/2014Surprisingly wonderful cuisine that puts Boston to shame! Staff members were warm, welcoming and helpful! Very attentive service but not overpowering. Each dish we tried delighted us more than the last. We loved the small plates and the signature cocktail Garnet Goose. Do not miss the Fois Gras torchon or the Apple Cider Soufflé for dessert! The upstairs balcony gave a quiet romantic feel to the dinner - and the view of the kitchen was the best entertainment a foodie could have. And very reasonable prices to boot! Can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysbigeaterDined on 11/10/2014One of our favorite spots in Portland. We both had the 5-course tasting menu and it didn't disappoint. Food was delectable and service is always spot onSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/8/2014Always yummy, but getting too expensive! Had a wonderful Apple cider soufflé, but $15? Salads large enough to share, but sides that accompany main courses are only a few bites...more like a decoration on the plate.Special Features:
- One of our favorites in Portland555FanDined on 11/7/2014We are never disappointed when we have dinner or drinks at 555. Always excellent service, the food is outstanding and the atmosphere is inviting, especially on those cold winter nights!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TummyyummyDined on 11/7/2014Absolutely outstanding in every way. The food is right up there with top restaurants in NYC, San Francisco and Wine Country.Special Features:
- Excellent, open Sunday.Shrink2346Dined on 11/2/2014Nice touch being greeted with a Happy Anniversary page with the menu. Surprised by the outstanding wine list and handled my annoying food allergy well. , Pricey but we will be back. Apple cider soufflé for dessert unusual and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/30/2014Everything was PERFECT. The staff could not be nicer. I had to change my reservation 4 times but they accommodated us with no problem. The food was excellent. The small plate of Hake was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience!LJMMDDined on 10/28/2014We had an early reservation with friends and the evening couldn't have been better! Attentive and unobtrusive service, help with great wine selection, and well orchestrated presentation of delicious food. Three of us had beef dishes which were flavorful and cooked perfectly. I had the cracked pepper scallops which was a contrast in unusual flavors (mild and bold, 'raw' and smooth) and quite good. The apple cider soufflé was fantastic! Highly recommend!!!!Special Features:
- Amazing ExperienceHoracesDorisDined on 10/26/2014I've travelled the world and Five Fifty-Five is one of the best, if not THE BEST, restaurant I've experienced. The service was exceptional, the five course meal with the wine pairings, made for unforgettable taste sensations. I loved the attention to details, like removing all the plates and silverware between selections. Nothing was left to chance. Thanks to the chefs and waitstaff.Special Features:
- great serviceNinemileDined on 10/25/2014Trying to decide where to go in Portland. All the recommended places were booked. This was within walking distance of our hotel and had availability. Service was great. Very attentive yet not overbearing. Lots of staff on taking care of all tables. We asked about portion size of apps and waitress asked chef if we could have entree serving of our app. He was agreeable yet we decided to have apps and entrees. Loved the review of our plate by the waitress describing everything in our dish. Had a glass of wine off the menu-hesitant to have a second glass and the waitress mentioned they serve half glasses of wine-perfect! Skipped dessert-needed to walk of the dinner. Would not hesitate to return next time in Portland.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/24/2014Check the menu online before planning to dine here. No specials. Limited menu. Guests who aren't excited to try something new may be hard-pressed to find something to order that tempts them. Still excellent service and a very nice atmosphere upstairs.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/20/2014Beautiful presentations, extremely tasty, great service. Would definitely go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another wonderful meal …BillVIPDined on 10/19/2014We have been to 555 several times and each time is as good or better than the last. Everything was delicious and the fare would be nearly twice as much in New York or Boston.Special Features:
- Special TreatMberger22Dined on 10/18/2014My husband and I enjoyed our night out at Five Fifty-Five -- it was a special treat to have a five course meal at a reasonable price with high class service, and I recommend this restaurant for anyone arranging a gathering of old friends, family, or setting up a romantic date night. Warm, inviting, and classy.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceExcellentVIPDined on 10/18/2014We had their seven coarse meal with Wine parring. The food was aw-sum the service was impeccable and our waitress was very knowledgeable of the food and wine We will definitely visit here againSpecial Features:
- Spectacular!mangiafoodVIPDined on 10/17/2014The seven course tasting menu paired with wines was one of the best meals I can recall ever experiencing and that is is huge for me. Some of the dishes were so exquisite, they brought tears to my eyes. Excellent food, fresh quality ingredients and impeccable service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weekend AwaybostongingerDined on 10/12/2014Spent the long Columbus Day weekend in Portland, had planned to go to Fore Street however there were no reservations available. Friends recommended 555, and we were not at all disappointed. Had dinner Sunday night, our table was on the second floor and we had a great view of the restaurant, kitchen, and Congress St. We both opted for the diver scallops which were HUGE and perfectly prepared; we were initially skeptical of the carrot-vanilla emulsion but the vanilla wasn't overpowering and nicely tempered the carrot bitterness. the whipped fennel-potatoes were absolutely delicious. Our waitress recommended the perfect wines for pairing. Would definitely come back for a 5-course tasting.Special Features:
- Phenomenal Food and ServicechristianjlDined on 10/12/2014The food and service at Five Fifty-Five is as good or better than most fine dining establishments in NYC, Boston, Montreal (or any of the the swankier parts of New England really). My wife and I make it a point to visit the most acclaimed restaurants wherever we travel, and this particular establishment exceeds its reputation. We had the 5 course tasting menu and each course was outstanding, and beautifully presented. Additionally, the wait staff is all in sync and all work together well to ensure a great experience. We found it to be unique that the wait staff was not 'stuffy', as with many other restaurants of this caliber, yet they were as versed and provided an exceptional experience.Special Features:
- Best BrunchJHLANEVIPDined on 10/12/2014An amazing brunch! Will make sure to come back next time I am in Portland.Special Features:
- Foodie Paradise!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/11/2014Had the great opportunity to dine at 555 for my best friend's "big" birthday. When making the reservation, I mentioned that it was for a birthday and they accommodated us with a fantastic table on the second floor with a birds-eye view of the open kitchen. It was like dinner theatre, watching the well-trained staff navigate the three floors of this renovated fire house. Service was outstanding; our server was attentive (although not overly so), extremely pleasant and had a wonderful knowledge (and opinion) of the entire menu. The food was amazing - a lovely, slightly limited menu that focuses on seasonal, local fare. The hake small plate and apple souffle were particular standouts. A must for any food lover when visiting Portland!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CantonboyVIPDined on 10/7/2014In a town of great restaurants, 555 is maybe the best of all. Celebrating our Anniversary my wife and I were given a quiet table overlooking the kitchen as well as a note wishing us a Happy Anniversary. A very professional and well informed waiter greeted us and then a great meal followed. Grilled Caesar salad and Carrot Ginger soup were both amazing. My wife had the appetizer portion of pumpkin-squash ravioli, which she loved and I had a perfectly cooked Hanger steak. Apple Cider soufflé topped off a fantastic meal. Don't miss this place when you're in Portland.Special Features:
- Back againOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/6/2014Loved 555 the first time we were here and it did not disappoint the second time around. We loved the beet salad, scallops, and hangar steak dishes. The butternut squash ravioli were cooked perfectly and the sauce was fabulous. Our waiter timed everything perfectly and was able to suggest a perfect wine to accompany our food. Hope to come back again somedaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnbelievableVeritasVIPDined on 10/5/2014We live in downtown Boston so we eat out all the time. We find it is hard for a restaurant to truly impress and be memorable but 555 has done just that. It was amazing. Truffle Mac and cheese, pumpkin/squash ravioli, foie gras, all were amazing. The hangar steak was very good but probably comparable to most good hangar steaks. Service was incredible and atmosphere is very nice. I would highly recoomend 555.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulWolfie88VIPDined on 10/3/2014On a last minute get-a-way to Portland, booked 555 without much thought. Turns out it was a terrific restaurant. The food was lovely. Perfectly prepared monkfish on a plate of great visual appeal. My friend loved the pumpkin gnocchi, which had a very delicate consistency. I would highly-recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great experiencOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/2/2014Very friendly staff, great food and an excellent wine list. Anytime againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy BirthdayFoodieloverDined on 9/23/2014Had dinner to celebrate my daughter's birthday. When we sat down, the server presented her with a "Birthday" Menu - nice touch. Also her dessert was decorated with a "Happy Birthday" in chocolate. Wine list is huge. The restaurant had a new bourbon which I had never tried. And the food was beautiful on the plate and delicious. Server was friendly, and gave us perfect delivery of the meal.Special Features:
- Very special dinnerEatingOutVIPDined on 9/23/2014My husband and I live within walking distance of 555 and have enjoyed eating there - both in the bar area and in the restaurant proper. The other night, we ate upstairs, which is a bit quieter than downstairs, and we chose the 6-course chef's special dinner. Although each course is a bit smaller than it would be if ordered separately, it's still a lot of food! It was all delicious, well thought-through, and beautifully presented.Special Features:
- DisappointedExpectbestDined on 9/21/2014Coffee arrived without cream or sugar to start a Sunday brunch. This was followed by a half glass of OJ....it's a brunch, are you kidding me, minimalist portions on OJ. At over $20 artic char was pure salt. 2 eggs over medium were runny. Food was poor and forgetable, service was marginal, include one glass of wine and this was a $60 rip off for brunch for 2.
- Surprise Birthday !DanSDined on 9/20/2014I took my wife away for the weekend of her birthday and picked this restaurant baed on reviews that i read. Well we have been many places Boston, New York, Santa Fe,Honolulu, Paris,Rome, London This restaurant was one of the best, if not the best that I ever recall dining in. We had the 5 course sample, Corn Soup, then the cheese plate based on Nick, our server's suggestion, followed by gnocchi, then Lobster Mac'n Cheese. Our desert was three unique ice cream flavors. The wine selection was delicious with each course. We were not hurried, allowed to relax and take our time to enjoy,and we did enjoy. I would recommend for special occasions. Not cheap, but worth the tariffSpecial Features:
- Outstanding tasting menuBritishCarolVIPDined on 9/19/2014Every single dish was delightful! Each of the five courses plus extras were exquisitely prepared and tasted unbelievably delicious. Perfect sized portions left us satisfied but not bloated. Nothing could have been better. Highly recommended for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very special eveningElsaDined on 9/15/2014I found Five Fifty Five on the internet. We were traveling through Portland, staying over one night and I wanted a special place to kick-off our vacation. This place has a great vibe. Waiter could have been a bit more informative/passionate about the wine pairing. The food is hands-down excellent. A bit on the pricey side ($120 p.p. including tip) for how my expectation was managed via online websites ($80 p.p.). Still, definitely worth it. I would definitely come back for a special event.Special Features:
- Wonderful ExperienceColonyGirlDined on 9/14/2014Pleasant setting, a bit away from center of town, but worth the extra few blocks. The Chef's Tasting Menu was a great choice for me -- I didn't make any decisions, just let the food come along one terrific course after the other. I tried a few things I would have never ordered on my own, and enjoyed every course. Staff made me feel comfortable, especially as I was dining alone. I've been all over the world and can honestly say that this is one of the finest meals I've ever had in my life, period!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A really decent restaurantlovePortlandDined on 9/13/2014I have eaten at 555 once before. This time, I was not disappointed. The only little thing was the dessert did not blow me away. We chose the 5 course tasting menu and the portions are very small (which was fine for two women), but don't come here if you have a big hungry husband!! It is a bit expensive so if I am spending this kind of money I don't want to have any regrets and the cookie plate left us hanging.Special Features:
- Just ok for the $$$$$OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2014We ate here about two years ago and had an incredible meal. This time it was just ok. We wlll not return,Special Features:
- FantasticMayerDined on 9/12/2014Great good, impeccable service, not a bad price for how great it was.Special Features:
- FantasticchukariVIPDined on 9/10/2014We had the five-course tasting menu and it was outstanding. Every bite was delicious. When we added up what the cost of appetizer and entree would be, the 5-course menu seemed the better choice. Service was outstanding. Our server was very knowledgeable about the food and added to our experience. We would definitely dine here again. We choice the homemade ice cream trio for dessert. While the beer and and pretzel was unusual (and not my favorite), we loved the cotton candy ice cream and the cherry soda ice cream. A delghtful finish to a great meal.Special Features:
- Come alive at Five Fifty-FivefoodsnobDined on 9/10/2014Five Fifty-Five in Portland, ME was an unexpected delight. Lively but not over-powering, comfortable decor. The food was well prepared and extremely tasteful...vegetarian risotto for my wife and hanger steak for myself. Both dishes were delicious and our plates were returned to the kitchen empty. Prices were very reasonable and we will certainly return here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food for the GodsAuburnDined on 9/4/2014Freshest ingredients treated with respect to deliver especially tasty dishes. Worthy of a constellation of Michelin stars. Thank you for one of the best dinners.Special Features: