555 Congress Street
Portland, ME 04101Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fivefifty-five.com/
- Phone: 207-761-0555x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Brunch: Sunday: 9:30am - 2:00pm
Our bar opens at 4:30 nightly.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Stephen Corry
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We host business dinners and presentations, rehearsal dinners and small weddings, and everything in between! Our semi-private space can seat up to 18 people, and our newly renovated, fully private room holds groups up to 30 people. Buy-out options of the main dining room and entire restaurant may also be available for larger functions.
Please contact Sarah for more information about our accommodations and to discuss your upcoming event.
- Private Party Contact: Sarah Allenby, firstname.lastname@example.org 2072007665x
- Special Events: Summer is here! Whether you live in Maine or vacation here, we hope to have the opportunity to serve you this summer! Join us for dinner seven nights a week and for brunch on Sundays.
A word from Five Fifty-Five
Steve and Michelle Corry, the proprietors of Five Fifty-Five, arrived in Portland armed with a passionate vision and extensive experience in the restaurant industry. Steve began his culinary career as a brew master at several breweries in Northern California. In 1999, he attended the New England Culinary Institute in Burlington Vermont. After graduating in 2001, he returned to California to work at Domaine Chandon in Napa Valley. A graduate of Boston University with a Bachelor's Degree in Hotel and Restaurant Administration, Michelle Corry has worked at numerous prestigious establishments, including the French Laundry in Napa. Together, they have envisioned a dining experience that would combine a comfortable atmosphere, professional service, and fresh, simple, and delicious food sourced locally. Steve and Michelle Corry would like to welcome you to their first collaborative, Five Fifty-Five.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Five Fifty-Five - Best Restaurants in Portland ›
Five Fifty-Five reviews from OpenTable diners
176 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (142)special occasion (118)romantic (85)notable wine list (68)neighborhood gem (45)hot spot (22)great for brunch (14)vibrant bar scene (12)good for groups (11)late-night find (5)scenic view (3)great for lunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Excellent PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014Foodies and American fare intermingle on a daily /weekly menu chocked full of local ingredients. A bit pricey for us locals for visits often but on the list for special occasions. There are 2 "chef specials" one a 5 course tasting menu and another for an 8 course tasting menu. The wine pairing selections were very good.Special Features:
- A great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/27/2014We loved Five Fifty-Five! What a wonderful selection of local food and presentation. The Monk fish over greens with fried grits was amazing. The steak was outstanding, and our server was so much fun. This is a truly wonderful place for dinner, in a city full of great restaurants. We will be back for sure!! The wine suggestions from the staff were interesting, and the one we had was outstandingSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/25/2014We had heard great things about 555 and didn't think it lived up to it's reputation. We had dined at Petite Jaqueline, their sister restaurant, the night before and thought it was much better.Special Features:
- Good but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014555 is a restaurant that consistently produces high quality food at a very high price. The service was great, the kitchen timing was awkward. I have never been disappointed but I am never wowed either.Special Features:
- SuperbMaryfVIPDined on 8/24/2014Tasting menu is not to be missed, and the wine pairings were wonderful as well. Kudos to the chef and our server, who was excellent.Special Features:
- Everything was GreatPamAlaVIPDined on 8/21/2014We made this res without knowing any particulars except online ratings. What a pleasant experience! Drinks at the bar while waiting were very good and we were early, so no problem with that wait. We had an interesting table on the second floor of this old building with an open area looking down on the first floor. Could see into the kitchen, but the area upstairs was very nice, lovely wood and nice natural touches of an historic building. Our server could not have been nicer, more accommodating or more knowledgable. Oh, and by the way, the food was marvelous!Special Features:
- ExcellentgalaxedDined on 8/20/2014Every dish was bursting with local flavor. I had heirloom tomato salad, cheese plate, and grilled scallops (the cocoa nibs add an amazing taste.) The Swan's Farm honey on the cheese plate was outstanding as were the cheese and local preserves. The pesto with the tomatoes, yum. Waiter was pleasant and helpful. My husband had the mussels in curry sauce and loved them. Table for two by the front window was cosy. Go here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Dining Experience!sherDined on 8/18/2014We enjoyed an excellent meal at Five Fifty-Five. Our reservation that was ready for us when we arrived. Our waiter was extremely knowledgeable about the menu and the chef, his service was perfect; timely, not overbearing and helpful with the wine. Every course was delicious and each made a culinary statement in taste and presentation. We ordered a summer salad featuring local tomatoes and a grilled Caesar salad. We also enjoyed a small plate of seared tuna. Our main courses were Halibut and pepper crusted scallops. Five Fifty-Five featured a good size selection of wine. We celebrated my husband's birthday there and it is an excellent choice for special occasions. Also an excellent choice for those who want a top quality dining experience.Special Features:
- WonderfulSmithosilverVIPDined on 8/17/2014We were in Portland Maine for the week and chose to dine here for our anniversary.Several people had recommended it. We each had the 5 course tasting menu and it was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experienceSeriousVIPDined on 8/17/2014We enjoyed the five-course tasting menu. All the choices looked appealing. We had a leisurely evening with great service. Heartily recommended.Special Features:
- Good, but needs a more refinementMichelinStarHunterVIPDined on 8/16/2014555 is a good restaurant. I LOVED lobster mac n cheese & the presentation of the appetizer (summer beet salad) was well executed. Service was also good, but I felt we were rushed: the timing intervals between dishes were quick and it would have been nice to simply sit and relax for a tiny bit longer. My guests dishes were less spectacular: he felt his tenderloin (or beef?) had "too many things happening" for a main dish: meat, brocollini, pesto/green sauce, cheese, etc.
- Another wonderful experienceHave2EatDined on 8/14/2014We get to Portland about once a year. We always go to 555...which says a lot since Portland has many very good food options. We find it exceptionally good.... Always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great special occasion restaurant!HappydinersDined on 8/14/2014We loved the whole experience of your restaurant, from the attentive server to the wonderful and diverse food choices. This was for us a special occasion restaurant and your restaurant helped to make it spectacular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Portland restaurantformahDined on 8/13/2014Superb. Emphasizes big, bold flavors. The only dissent I can imagine is by someone who prefers underseasoned, less obtrusive flavors. I won't go into detail about every dish, but this is a first-rate kitchen without a single miss, or weak offering.Special Features:
- OutstandingMitchVIPDined on 8/10/2014Have been going to 555 for 10 years. Have loved every meal. Tasting menus are wonderful.Special Features:
- Perfect milestoneNatalieDined on 8/9/2014We were recommended 555 for our daughter's 20. Thank you for the special touches and the great food!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Value!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/7/2014This is the second time I have eaten at 555 in two weeks. Food is amazing - price extremely reasonably for what I had [5 courses]. This past weekend I stayed in the old port on commercial street - it's a bit of a walk to congress street but well worth it! This rivals any top chef restaurant I have eaten at in my current hometown [Chicago] - Thank you for a great meal [twice]!
- FabulousRedfranVIPDined on 8/6/2014Fabulous This was without a doubt the best meal we had on our “foodie trip” to Portland. Everything was right, the atmosphere – an old firehouse, the server – delightful, and the food – over the top great. My husband ordered hanger steak and rated it a 10. I ordered halibut. It was sweet and tender, not overly cooked or dry. If in Portland again, we would without a doubt be back at 555.Special Features:
- Complex TastesFussyVIPDined on 8/4/2014Nothing we had on the 5 course tasting menu was routine. Each dish had multiple flavors and often multiple textures so that each bite was wonderful and new. The 5 course tasting menu filled us up since it seemed that the only course that wasn't full size was the entrée. Waitress was very friendly and helpful and easily accepted our wish to have the courses in a different order than the restaurant's usual one. Impressed with the timing of courses, too--first arrived right away and the later ones arrived after a short break which was just perfect so we could savor what we had eaten without the next taste taking over too soon. Excellent place.Special Features:
- Exactly what we were looking forJimzimlfcVIPDined on 8/3/2014555 was phenomenal. We had one evening in Portland and wanted to hit a spot where we could get interesting cuisine crafted by a phenomenal chef. We found it. I had the seven-course Chef's Tasting and my wife had the five-course tasting menu. Really, really excellent. Everything was well thought out and executed. Out of the twelve combined courses there was only one misstep - a delicate soup that was overshadowed by adding too much smoked bacon. We both decided for the wine parings, some were better than others. All in all a delightful dinner - the service was second to none. If we return to Portland, we will make sure 555 is on our list.Special Features:
- great brunchjmo1Dined on 8/3/2014The service was great, every plate was excellent and the location was ideal. Thanks for a great Sunday morning.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/2/2014The food was very good, however, the a/c was very high and made the evening quite uncomfortable. We found ourselves trying to hurry our dinner along as we were chilled. The staff was pleasant and the a/c would go off for a bit, then recycle back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhilVIPDined on 8/1/2014A really neat restaurant in the heart of Portland. A very eclectic menu, but very limited choices if you like variety. Plan to wait - dinner took over an hour to prepare. Only on-street parking, so plan your arrival accordingly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfortable Setting and Great FoodMomandDaughterDined on 7/31/2014Fit for foodies! Service was amazing! Great oysters on the half shell. Outstanding cheese plate with notable accompaniments. Restaurant is in a vibrant location full of arts and culture!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/31/2014Never disappointed! 5th time eating here and it still knocked my socks off!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Smiles all aroundRBowDined on 7/28/2014Particularly outstanding was the wait staff...engaging, knowledgable and efficient. The 5-course tasting menu was just right, allowing me to leave the restaurant having had a satisfying, but not overly indulgent, plethora of tastes.Special Features:
- Best Scallops This Side of AnywhereRunningboyDined on 7/28/2014Fantastic service in a great restaurant. Superb lobster mac and cheese. And the scallops? Seriously, you will find none better. Every single bite was soft and smooth, with no change in flavor or texture.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodFoodieDined on 7/26/2014Meticulously prepared food. Delicious. Great sauces and presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very satisfying!226qwertyDined on 7/26/2014Food was excellent - it's not easy to do something as simple as chicken so its tastes fresh and appealing. There was some tendency to overdecorate the presentation,. The service was attentive and prompt. We'd gladly go back the next time we're in Portland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EddieDined on 7/24/2014Overall, the dining experience was great. The food is amazing and our waitress was fun and engaging. Our only issue was with the wait time. We had a later reservation, at 9:30pm. We showed up earlier, at 8:45, with the intention of getting a drink at the bar first. The hostess told us we'd probably be seated around 9:15. At 9:40, I asked the hostess about our reservation, and she told us "oh, we've been looking for you." It would have been nice if they actually had been, as we'd been at the bar for almost an hour. As we were being seated, I counted 5 open tables at which we could have been seated in that time. We were the last party to leave the restaurant that night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- David HuntOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/21/2014Total experience excellent even with the cappachino machine bustedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice menuSlade14Dined on 7/20/2014Great menu! A little something for everyone! The option of a tasting menu is perfect to get a taste of all the courses!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantTriIDined on 7/20/2014Had an amazing meal - Fava bean & mint salad was incredible!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/20/2014Excellent food, very good service, and a warm but chic decor are the positives. A very loud ventilation system is a negative, as is the noise level of the patrons talikng over the ventilation system.Special Features:
- DelightfulMaineladyDined on 7/20/2014We had the 5 course tasting menu, choosing one option from each category. I loved the portions, though those looking for leftovers may be disappointed. Each course, was flavorful and a bit surprising--in a good way. Our service was great, informative when needed, always "of course you can" when asking about ordering options. A return visit, and we were not disappointed.Special Features:
- great food, atmosphere and servicehealthyeaterDined on 7/20/2014My husband and son and I chose 555 to celebrate a very special occasion and we were not disappointed. The mussels were delicious - perhaps the best we've ever eaten. Our waiter was well informed about the menu and helpful in clarifying our choices. The service was efficient and unobtrusive and the overall pacing of our meal was just right - no easy feat since one of us ordered the 5 course tasting menu and the other two ordered starters and entrees. This was our second visit to 555 and because we don't each rich food that often we are not likely to return again soon but it will remain an obvious choice for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative food delivered slowlyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014We really enjoyed our perch overlooking the food prep which we watched off and on. Almost everything we ate was quite amazing, from the melon soup to the pork belly, to the fish dishes. We had the chef's choice including the wine pairings as well as the choice of 5 items, one from each category. It was a great way to taste a wide variety of preparations.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/19/2014Got the five course meal with some oysters added on, everything was absolutely perfect, including the very knowledgeable waiterSpecial Features:
- Fabulous dinnerLive2eatVIPDined on 7/19/2014Standouts were the bread basket (in my book, bread and salad are good restaurant indicators), the chilled melon soup (a work of art), and the amazing chicken with succotash and cornbread (you never had chicken like this before.). Also, the house bottle of pinot noir was excellent.Special Features: