555 Congress Street
Portland, ME 04101Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fivefifty-five.com/
- Phone: 207-761-0555x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Brunch: Sunday: 9:30am - 2:00pm
Our bar opens at 4:30 nightly.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Stephen Corry
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We host business dinners and presentations, rehearsal dinners and small weddings, and everything in between! Our semi-private space can seat up to 18 people, and our newly renovated, fully private room holds groups up to 30 people. Buy-out options of the main dining room and entire restaurant may also be available for larger functions.
Please contact Sarah for more information about our accommodations and to discuss your upcoming event.
- Private Party Contact: Sarah Allenby, email@example.com 2072007665x
- Special Events: Summer is here! Whether you live in Maine or vacation here, we hope to have the opportunity to serve you this summer! Join us for dinner seven nights a week and for brunch on Sundays.
A word from Five Fifty-Five
Steve and Michelle Corry, the proprietors of Five Fifty-Five, arrived in Portland armed with a passionate vision and extensive experience in the restaurant industry. Steve began his culinary career as a brew master at several breweries in Northern California. In 1999, he attended the New England Culinary Institute in Burlington Vermont. After graduating in 2001, he returned to California to work at Domaine Chandon in Napa Valley. A graduate of Boston University with a Bachelor's Degree in Hotel and Restaurant Administration, Michelle Corry has worked at numerous prestigious establishments, including the French Laundry in Napa. Together, they have envisioned a dining experience that would combine a comfortable atmosphere, professional service, and fresh, simple, and delicious food sourced locally. Steve and Michelle Corry would like to welcome you to their first collaborative, Five Fifty-Five.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Five Fifty-Five - Best Restaurants in Portland ›
Five Fifty-Five reviews from OpenTable diners
187 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (153)special occasion (121)romantic (89)notable wine list (74)neighborhood gem (46)hot spot (24)good for groups (13)vibrant bar scene (13)great for brunch (12)late-night find (5)great for lunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Outstanding tasting menuBritishCarolVIPDined on 9/19/2014Every single dish was delightful! Each of the five courses plus extras were exquisitely prepared and tasted unbelievably delicious. Perfect sized portions left us satisfied but not bloated. Nothing could have been better. Highly recommended for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very special eveningElsaDined on 9/15/2014I found Five Fifty Five on the internet. We were traveling through Portland, staying over one night and I wanted a special place to kick-off our vacation. This place has a great vibe. Waiter could have been a bit more informative/passionate about the wine pairing. The food is hands-down excellent. A bit on the pricey side ($120 p.p. including tip) for how my expectation was managed via online websites ($80 p.p.). Still, definitely worth it. I would definitely come back for a special event.Special Features:
- Wonderful ExperienceColonyGirlDined on 9/14/2014Pleasant setting, a bit away from center of town, but worth the extra few blocks. The Chef's Tasting Menu was a great choice for me -- I didn't make any decisions, just let the food come along one terrific course after the other. I tried a few things I would have never ordered on my own, and enjoyed every course. Staff made me feel comfortable, especially as I was dining alone. I've been all over the world and can honestly say that this is one of the finest meals I've ever had in my life, period!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A really decent restaurantlovePortlandDined on 9/13/2014I have eaten at 555 once before. This time, I was not disappointed. The only little thing was the dessert did not blow me away. We chose the 5 course tasting menu and the portions are very small (which was fine for two women), but don't come here if you have a big hungry husband!! It is a bit expensive so if I am spending this kind of money I don't want to have any regrets and the cookie plate left us hanging.Special Features:
- Just ok for the $$$$$OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2014We ate here about two years ago and had an incredible meal. This time it was just ok. We wlll not return,Special Features:
- FantasticMayerDined on 9/12/2014Great good, impeccable service, not a bad price for how great it was.Special Features:
- FantasticchukariDined on 9/10/2014We had the five-course tasting menu and it was outstanding. Every bite was delicious. When we added up what the cost of appetizer and entree would be, the 5-course menu seemed the better choice. Service was outstanding. Our server was very knowledgeable about the food and added to our experience. We would definitely dine here again. We choice the homemade ice cream trio for dessert. While the beer and and pretzel was unusual (and not my favorite), we loved the cotton candy ice cream and the cherry soda ice cream. A delghtful finish to a great meal.Special Features:
- Come alive at Five Fifty-FivefoodsnobDined on 9/10/2014Five Fifty-Five in Portland, ME was an unexpected delight. Lively but not over-powering, comfortable decor. The food was well prepared and extremely tasteful...vegetarian risotto for my wife and hanger steak for myself. Both dishes were delicious and our plates were returned to the kitchen empty. Prices were very reasonable and we will certainly return here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food for the GodsAuburnDined on 9/4/2014Freshest ingredients treated with respect to deliver especially tasty dishes. Worthy of a constellation of Michelin stars. Thank you for one of the best dinners.Special Features:
- excellent service, delicious foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/4/2014We ordered the beet salad and the peppered scallops with carrot butter sauce. DELICIOUS! Even the homemade ice cream was superb. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent use of local ingredientsmagiviclaDined on 8/31/2014We chose 555 after we read many positive reviews, and our experience surpassed our expectation. From something as simple as corn soup to the sophisticated yet true to the monk fish unique delicate flavor. The chocolate tart is a real gem! Wine choice is vast and up to the challenge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Heavenly dining experiencebostonian23Dined on 8/31/2014Amazing food and atmosphere. We were seated on the second level overlooking the kitchen and admiring the staffs ability to climb up those stairs with all the meals. Staff was very well informed and professional. The food was hands down the best meal we've ever had ! We each did a five course tasting. The beet salad was fresh with a pistachio paste that paired fabulously. Grilled Caesar is a must try! The parmesan gnocchi melted in your mouth as well as the foie gras for the small plates. Talk about decadent! The lobster mac and cheese needs to be served in a tub. I could eat it for days! Succulent lobster pieces and truffle oil what a pair! The hanger steak was perfect. Dessert: arnold Palmer souffle= Genius. Will definitely come againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/31/2014Waited to long for Brunch to get served, service was very slow and not attentive. Not sure how the food was b/c I did not want to wait any longer. The prices were quite high as well for what you get. They are not customer service oriented.
- 5 is the magic numberHighStandardsDined on 8/29/2014We had a fantastic time at 555! Did a delicious 5-course tasting menu where you could choose one item from each of the 5 categories of the menu. Opted to also do the wine tasting pairings. The waiter was highly knowledgable about the menu and wine options and skillfully responsive to inquiries. The truffled lobster mac and cheese was beyond delicious in every way. LOVED the whole experience. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbcardiacrnDined on 8/29/2014The food, ambience, and service were impeccable. The chef tasting menu with wine pairing was memorable and the waiter very engaged in presenting our food and anticipating our needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ultimate Mac and CheesemikemDined on 8/29/2014We had the 5 course tasting menu instead of 7 courses and it was a huge amount of food. Wine pairings with each course were spot-on. The lobster mac-and-cheese (with extra lobster) was hands down the best MAC of my life! Service was attentive and knowledgeable. When in Portland don't miss 555.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent PlaceITrieditDined on 8/28/2014Foodies and American fare intermingle on a daily /weekly menu chocked full of local ingredients. A bit pricey for us locals for visits often but on the list for special occasions. There are 2 "chef specials" one a 5 course tasting menu and another for an 8 course tasting menu. The wine pairing selections were very good.Special Features:
- A great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/27/2014We loved Five Fifty-Five! What a wonderful selection of local food and presentation. The Monk fish over greens with fried grits was amazing. The steak was outstanding, and our server was so much fun. This is a truly wonderful place for dinner, in a city full of great restaurants. We will be back for sure!! The wine suggestions from the staff were interesting, and the one we had was outstandingSpecial Features:
- Vacation in PortlandLRF5Dined on 8/26/2014My boyfriend and I were staying at the Westin nearby and were able to get a reservation at Five Fifty Five for a special dinner. We were seated promptly and well taken care of during our entire meal. My boyfriend started with the grilled Caesar, which he very much enjoyed. I had the mussels which blew me away. My boyfriend had the lobster Mac and cheese which looked amazing and I had the scallops which were perfectly cooked. We split the liquid chocolate tart for dessert. Overall, a phenomenal meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/25/2014We had heard great things about 555 and didn't think it lived up to it's reputation. We had dined at Petite Jaqueline, their sister restaurant, the night before and thought it was much better.Special Features:
- Good but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014555 is a restaurant that consistently produces high quality food at a very high price. The service was great, the kitchen timing was awkward. I have never been disappointed but I am never wowed either.Special Features:
- SuperbMaryfVIPDined on 8/24/2014Tasting menu is not to be missed, and the wine pairings were wonderful as well. Kudos to the chef and our server, who was excellent.Special Features:
- Everything was GreatPamAlaVIPDined on 8/21/2014We made this res without knowing any particulars except online ratings. What a pleasant experience! Drinks at the bar while waiting were very good and we were early, so no problem with that wait. We had an interesting table on the second floor of this old building with an open area looking down on the first floor. Could see into the kitchen, but the area upstairs was very nice, lovely wood and nice natural touches of an historic building. Our server could not have been nicer, more accommodating or more knowledgable. Oh, and by the way, the food was marvelous!Special Features:
- ExcellentgalaxedDined on 8/20/2014Every dish was bursting with local flavor. I had heirloom tomato salad, cheese plate, and grilled scallops (the cocoa nibs add an amazing taste.) The Swan's Farm honey on the cheese plate was outstanding as were the cheese and local preserves. The pesto with the tomatoes, yum. Waiter was pleasant and helpful. My husband had the mussels in curry sauce and loved them. Table for two by the front window was cosy. Go here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Dining Experience!sherDined on 8/18/2014We enjoyed an excellent meal at Five Fifty-Five. Our reservation that was ready for us when we arrived. Our waiter was extremely knowledgeable about the menu and the chef, his service was perfect; timely, not overbearing and helpful with the wine. Every course was delicious and each made a culinary statement in taste and presentation. We ordered a summer salad featuring local tomatoes and a grilled Caesar salad. We also enjoyed a small plate of seared tuna. Our main courses were Halibut and pepper crusted scallops. Five Fifty-Five featured a good size selection of wine. We celebrated my husband's birthday there and it is an excellent choice for special occasions. Also an excellent choice for those who want a top quality dining experience.Special Features:
- WonderfulSmithosilverVIPDined on 8/17/2014We were in Portland Maine for the week and chose to dine here for our anniversary.Several people had recommended it. We each had the 5 course tasting menu and it was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experienceSeriousVIPDined on 8/17/2014We enjoyed the five-course tasting menu. All the choices looked appealing. We had a leisurely evening with great service. Heartily recommended.Special Features:
- Good, but needs a more refinementMichelinStarHunterVIPDined on 8/16/2014555 is a good restaurant. I LOVED lobster mac n cheese & the presentation of the appetizer (summer beet salad) was well executed. Service was also good, but I felt we were rushed: the timing intervals between dishes were quick and it would have been nice to simply sit and relax for a tiny bit longer. My guests dishes were less spectacular: he felt his tenderloin (or beef?) had "too many things happening" for a main dish: meat, brocollini, pesto/green sauce, cheese, etc.
- Another wonderful experienceHave2EatDined on 8/14/2014We get to Portland about once a year. We always go to 555...which says a lot since Portland has many very good food options. We find it exceptionally good.... Always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great special occasion restaurant!HappydinersDined on 8/14/2014We loved the whole experience of your restaurant, from the attentive server to the wonderful and diverse food choices. This was for us a special occasion restaurant and your restaurant helped to make it spectacular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Portland restaurantformahDined on 8/13/2014Superb. Emphasizes big, bold flavors. The only dissent I can imagine is by someone who prefers underseasoned, less obtrusive flavors. I won't go into detail about every dish, but this is a first-rate kitchen without a single miss, or weak offering.Special Features:
- OutstandingMitchVIPDined on 8/10/2014Have been going to 555 for 10 years. Have loved every meal. Tasting menus are wonderful.Special Features:
- Perfect milestoneNatalieDined on 8/9/2014We were recommended 555 for our daughter's 20. Thank you for the special touches and the great food!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Value!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/7/2014This is the second time I have eaten at 555 in two weeks. Food is amazing - price extremely reasonably for what I had [5 courses]. This past weekend I stayed in the old port on commercial street - it's a bit of a walk to congress street but well worth it! This rivals any top chef restaurant I have eaten at in my current hometown [Chicago] - Thank you for a great meal [twice]!
- FabulousRedfranVIPDined on 8/6/2014Fabulous This was without a doubt the best meal we had on our “foodie trip” to Portland. Everything was right, the atmosphere – an old firehouse, the server – delightful, and the food – over the top great. My husband ordered hanger steak and rated it a 10. I ordered halibut. It was sweet and tender, not overly cooked or dry. If in Portland again, we would without a doubt be back at 555.Special Features:
- Complex TastesFussyVIPDined on 8/4/2014Nothing we had on the 5 course tasting menu was routine. Each dish had multiple flavors and often multiple textures so that each bite was wonderful and new. The 5 course tasting menu filled us up since it seemed that the only course that wasn't full size was the entrée. Waitress was very friendly and helpful and easily accepted our wish to have the courses in a different order than the restaurant's usual one. Impressed with the timing of courses, too--first arrived right away and the later ones arrived after a short break which was just perfect so we could savor what we had eaten without the next taste taking over too soon. Excellent place.Special Features:
- Exactly what we were looking forJimzimlfcVIPDined on 8/3/2014555 was phenomenal. We had one evening in Portland and wanted to hit a spot where we could get interesting cuisine crafted by a phenomenal chef. We found it. I had the seven-course Chef's Tasting and my wife had the five-course tasting menu. Really, really excellent. Everything was well thought out and executed. Out of the twelve combined courses there was only one misstep - a delicate soup that was overshadowed by adding too much smoked bacon. We both decided for the wine parings, some were better than others. All in all a delightful dinner - the service was second to none. If we return to Portland, we will make sure 555 is on our list.Special Features:
- great brunchjmo1Dined on 8/3/2014The service was great, every plate was excellent and the location was ideal. Thanks for a great Sunday morning.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/2/2014The food was very good, however, the a/c was very high and made the evening quite uncomfortable. We found ourselves trying to hurry our dinner along as we were chilled. The staff was pleasant and the a/c would go off for a bit, then recycle back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.