3801 East Coast Highway
Corona Del Mar, CA 92625Neighborhood:
Corona del Mar
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thefivecrowns.com/
- Phone: 9497600331x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm; Friday: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm; Saturday: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm; Sunday: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Steve Kling
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Our chef de cuisine Steve Kling can design a special menu for your occasion. Please call Sales and Marketing at (949) 760-1115 for menu descriptions.
A word from Five Crowns
Thank you for choosing the Five Crowns, a beautiful replica of one of England's oldest country inns in beautiful Corona del Mar. Dress code is casual. Should your plans change or if you are running late, please let us know. The award-winning food, wine list, exceptional service and unmistakable style that have made Five Crowns a dining legend since 1965 awaits you. We look forward to your visit.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Five Crowns - Best Restaurants in Corona del Mar ›
Five Crowns reviews from OpenTable diners
196 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (130)romantic (89)neighborhood gem (67)fit for foodies (44)notable wine list (36)good for groups (28)great for outdoor dining (25)vibrant bar scene (21)great for brunch (11)late-night find (9)hot spot (7)kid-friendly (7)great for lunch (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- Prime rib is getting saltier...MichieDined on 10/18/2014Last time I went to Five Crowns, I thought their famous prime rib was getting saltier. This time, I ordered a lamb dish and my hubby got the same prime rib. I tried a couple of bite of his prime rib and got really shocked. It's just salty...before any other flavor, the saltiness came up and didn't taste anything else anymore...what's going on? Also, again last time, I got the latte at the end. It was not hot at all...colder than lukewarm and this time, almost just cold. I'm wondering if they have ever tested their espresso machine... We still like the overall experience at Five Crowns but after these 2, we will not come back for a while...Special Features:
- IloveagoodsteakDined on 10/18/2014We have been to Five Crowns a number of times but never upstairs. What a pleasant experience. Great service, great food and great ambiance.Special Features:
- Always enjoyablealphonso14VIPDined on 10/17/2014What are you looking for A special occasion restaurant or just a quiet evening for a relaxing dinner the five crowns is always greatSpecial Features:
- Lawrys VIP Member??BummedInOCDined on 10/11/2014Checked in (for reservation) with a very average hostess; asked if VIP member. When we replied no, felt like we received the "other" seating and a random server and an even worse/nastier (if possibly) person delivering our food to the table. We've been here many times before but were so unhappy this time, we probably won't go back again due to overall service/server.
- Birthday dinnerDRodriguezDined on 10/10/2014It was my wife's birthday and didn't wanted to drive too far from Monarch Beach. We'd been into Lawry's in Beverly Hills several times but was never impressed. The amount of food is what always make us go back. This time was different as not only the quantity was excellent but the quality was superb! We already made plans to go back this weekend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday celebrationSissyDined on 10/9/2014Went the other night and had a very good experience. Perfect for my daughter birthday. Was served by Omar who was awesome and always made sure we were okay. Definitely would recommend this place to other families looking for a nice night out to a classy restaurant. When you go ask for Omar he is awesome. What a wonderful evening! Omar did a great job and made the evening extra special for my daughter. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining DrummerDrmdrmDined on 10/4/2014The restaurant is about 60 miles from my home so after a long drive, I was looking forward to an enjoyable evening. The receptionist was very accommodating. We were seated in the main dining room and it was very comfortable. The waiters and other servers were top notch with no complaints. The food was good but compared to Ruth Chris or Fleming s, not so much. I asked for an end cut of prime beef and I received an end sliver - about a quarter inch of burnt meat. My wife had a Filet and said it did not have much flavor. The sides were very good. We especially enjoy the chocolate souffle. The trip was well worth this amazing dessert. We may come back but it would be for the dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don1Dined on 10/1/2014My wife and I were celebrating her birthday at the restaurant and the table attendant brought her a small cup of dessert with a candle on it. That was a real surprise to her and very appreciated. We had very nice evening with excellent food and good wine, and service. We hope to go back some day and recommend Five Crowns highly to any one .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost a perfect eveningHeinz57Dined on 9/28/2014The Five Crowns is a very fine restaurant with great food and fine ambiance. We had the Filet for two and it was cooked to perfection and the mushrooms and asparagus were cooked perfectly as were he mashed potatoes. The "Ambassador of Good Will" Tommy is delightful and makes your dining experience really special. The only negative was the fact that when the restaurant called to confirm my reservation, I mentioned that it was my wife's birthday and they seemed to have forgotten that. This, however, may have been because we ordered one of their special deserts at the beginning of the meal. Overall, it was an outstanding experience and we will be back.Special Features:
- Luv2dineInLALuv2dineInLADined on 9/28/2014I've dined at Five Crowns many, (many) times over the years. The service and food are ALWAYS exemplary, this dining experience was no difference. Although known for their prime rib, I prefer this sister store of the Lawry's the Prime Rib for their "other than Prime Rib" menu. Starting the meal with the artichoke appetizer was just enough for two, the wedge salad is one of my personal favorites as it has large pieces of bacon and chives (not onions), the roasted chicken is my personal favorite. Since we are celebrating a birthday (mine) I was gifted a beautifully presented triffel. All in all a delightfully delicious experience.Special Features:
- No longer the Five Crowns of oldLammasDined on 9/22/2014No longer owned by the Lawrys Group. No more waitress w white cap. Popovers were tiny. Food served within 3 min of ordering. Not how I remember it and won't go again :(
- my favorite restaurant in NBOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/21/2014I had a dinner with my children and a guest. I felt like the size of prime rib got smaller, but it was all good overall.Special Features:
- Special PlaceJonTDined on 9/20/2014My wife and i have been coming to this restaurant for over twenty years, mostly to celebrate our wedding anniversaries. We spent 2 1/2 hours enjoying the atmosphere which was romantic and quiet (even though it was fairly busy on a Sat evening and had a reception in their outdoor garden). Our server was excellent and didn't "rush" us so we could enjoy the evening. Will continue to celebrate our special occassions at this fantastic restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Made a special occasion even betterNeighborsDined on 9/15/2014Can't say enough about the great staff -- they make special occasions very special in their fine dining area and yet they also know how to make you feel right at home in their casual Side Door pub next door. It is truly a gem in Corona del Mar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Great place to have a romantic quiet dinner, I would highly recommend!Special Features:
- Great Anniversary DinnerSpecialEveningDined on 9/13/2014We celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary this weekend and had dinner at Five Crowns, one of our favorite restaurants. Everything was fantastic!! We were greeted at the front with a Happy Anniversary by the hostess. The waitress Karin was wonderful and very attentive and the food was delicious as always. It was a great evening!Special Features:
- Prime RibOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/9/2014We both had the most delectable Prime Rib dinner imaginable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014Food was absolutely delicious !!! Service was top notch !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MimSBDined on 9/6/2014All Lawry's restaurants are NOT created equal. After dining at the Las Vegas location, we were highly impressed. Tried both the Five Crowns and Tam O'Shanter. Had mediocre food at both....nothing like their Vegas counterpart. Will not be returning to either...but may make the trip to Vegas just to dine there again!!!
- Good experience.FlipDined on 9/5/2014Good experience. Excellent food. Outstanding service. Friendly place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- theatergoerDined on 9/4/2014Melt in your mouth tender, delicious prime rib! Excellent, friendly, attentive service!Special Features:
- nickDined on 8/31/2014the service was great and the food (prime rib) was excellentSpecial Features:
- Excellent as alwaysMichieDined on 8/31/2014This restaurant has been the place to go when "we want to get pampered with great foods and service" and "want great protein!" for my husband and me. This time, we brought 3 friends. 1 married couple and 1 close friend. The couple had never been. We had a great time/experience/food. Probably, we were noisy for the other groups (sorry...). This couple just signed the contract to buy a new house on that day and we celebrated that. We are definitely going back again.Special Features:
- Great food!LoveCDMDined on 8/30/2014Service great - server Phil. Food great. Will go back.Special Features:
- An old friendzoomboyDined on 8/30/2014For many years 5 Crowns has been our "go to" place for Anniversaries, Birthdays or other special events. It is also the place we choose when just the two of us want a quality dinner. We appreciate most of the changes and can count on the quality of service and food. We have visited your Tam O'Shanter and Lawry's and they are all good. However, we still prefer our local favorite-5 Crowns.Special Features:
- Classic Prime Rib TavernOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014This restaurant has been a classic in the area for many years. The food is as good as ever. Classic British Tavern style. The overall feel seems to be worn and dated. I remember when it was more elegant and upscale.Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014Enjoyed dinner very much. We live in the desert so we have to make coming to the 5👑s very special.Special Features:
- Dan & NancyMoochDined on 8/30/2014We have been going to Five Crowns for over 40 years. When the Big Change came several years ago, the reviews from 'old folks' were so bad (changed menu, no duckling, no Tanqueray gin, crowded tables, young "trendies" trying to make the old folks invisible, etc., etc.) plus four awful visits my brother and his wife had after the changes, (who had their engagement dinner there 65 years ago), we bailed for years and used our VIP points at Tam O'Shanter instead. We returned Sat. night for the first time and were delighted, as you can see from the review. You do apparently respond to reviews. --while the ladies always look great, the men look just out of the locker room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will not eat here again.FarmRaisedSteakLoverDined on 8/28/2014For a steak house own by Lawry's I was extremely surprised they served me a cartilage riddled steak. To add insult to injury, the lead waiter, resturant manager and table waiter -3 people in a row - came to my table one at a time and did their best to try and convince me "that's how all rib eye's will be when you ask for medium rare." Before sending it back and canceling my order I offered each my steak knife for them to try and cut it. Of course, no one would try. Will not eat here again.
- Poor servicePhilSDined on 8/28/2014Food is still excellent. Service not good at all. I felt that the server had too many tables to take care of..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jirdenDined on 8/27/2014The food is excellent. The service was friendly and efficient. Up to Lawry's exceptional standard.Special Features:
- sungerDined on 8/25/2014I have had wonderful dinners at The Five Crown's, but this wasn't one of them. We were warmly greeted upon arrival, and only waited a few minutes to be seated. We were a party of two, and were sat right next, literally within 18 inches of another party of 2. Our waitress was pleasant, knowledgeable, and professional. We each ordered a soup appetizer, and prime rib for the main course. The soup, French Onion, was very good, but the bowl was so hot you couldn't touch it. The main course arrived, and it looked wonderful. The prime rib was tender, very tasty, but only warm. Additionally, it was served on what appeared to be a plastic plate. I will return, but this was a disappointing experience from a place that once was first rate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good but Short of ExcellentBillVIPDined on 8/24/2014Five Crowns is a very good fine dining restaurant but falls a little short from offering an excellent fine dining experience. The prime rib was very good but the mash potatoes were only warm, not hot, and the gravy was almost without flavor. Service was very good but again fell slightly less than extraordinary. Ambiance would have been improved with some fresh flowers at each table. Diner rates four stars but not five.Special Features:
- End cut of prime ribJohn2430Dined on 8/24/2014We have eaten at five Crowns since 1974. Only on a few times have I been disappointed with my meal. A slice of prime rib should not be re cooked to look like a end cut.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No expectationsMikeVIPDined on 8/23/2014My first time there with no expectations. Had been recommended by some friends. I had the sea bass very tasty although the specialty is prime rib and saw many plates with happy diners.....Special Features:
- No more wenches, still top notch.N6ZRNDined on 8/23/2014First time after a 15-20 year dry spell. We had reservations for 6:00pm. Seated right away after entire party(7) arrived. Our server Greg was very knowledgeable about menu & helped a lot. Staff was attentive to our needs. Water glasses never went below 1/2 filled. Most restaurants wait until you've put some food in your mouth before asking "how is your dinner?"; 5 Crowns' staff allowed us to swallow that 2-3 bites before asking. We never felt rushed, and they seemed to know just when to arrive to assist our meal. Overall: a very pleasant meal and experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 50th celebrationSandyDined on 8/23/2014Service was the best we have had in a long time. We traditionally celebrate with our daughter.Special Features:
- Good,but food tepid,service spotty.BobbybVIPDined on 8/22/2014We love the ambience..but the food,although tasty,was cold...the service when there was good..but often absent when needed...even when in the same rom or area they were more concerned with conversation amongst themselves. And few ever smile or say much..I would say they need a lot of training...there is no danger of getting a Michelin star here...but prices are fair...no charge for a kitchen split...and corkage is only 20 bucks..the desert peach berry cobbler with ice cream was fantastic.Special Features:
- Special Occasion MustDarelynhbDined on 8/21/2014We've been going to Five Crowns for years off and on and it never dissapoints! Our waiter Patrick was helpful, pleasant, friendly and prompt with our drinks and food! We were celebrating our 38th wedding anniversary and we were presented with a delicious dessert and champagne! A must for your special occasion...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Pretty disappointed with the lobster bisque, but the rib eye quickly made up for it and then some.Special Features: