Fitler Dining Room
2201 Spruce Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Fitler Dining Room
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fitlerdiningroom.com/
- Phone: 2157323331x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Served Daily Starting at 5:00pm
Sunday Brunch 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: Robert Marzinski
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Wine
A word from Fitler Dining Room
Fitler Dining Room, an intimate 32-seat bistro, located in Philadelphia’s charming Fitler Square neighborhood serves a straightforward, progressive American menu from Executive Chef Robert Marzinsky. Dishes are prepared with classic and modern techniques, focusing on locally-sourced ingredients. To pair, a thoughtful list of wine and craft beer is offered. Fitler Dining Room is open for dinner seven days a week and brunch on SundaysContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Fitler Dining Room - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
Fitler Dining Room reviews from OpenTable diners
97 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (71)neighborhood gem (63)special occasion (37)romantic (36)great for outdoor dining (34)notable wine list (20)great for brunch (18)late-night find (6)good for groups (2)hot spot (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Top-notch brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/14/2014If you want to be surprised and delighted by brunch, this is the place to try. You will not find the typical, syrupy late morning, upgrade on IHOP that has come to stand for brunch. What you will find is stunning seasonal variety and perfectly savory fare. Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciouschompchompchompDined on 9/13/2014FDR has been a great time with great food every visit.Special Features:
- Innovative versions of your favsKMagnussVIPDined on 9/12/2014Creativity goes a long way in my book and Fitler Dining Room really impressed! The oysters were presented with fish eggs instead of the standard horseradish and cocktail sauce combo, the salads were bursting with fresh bright flavors, and the skate was served over a savory broth. Unfortunately, the desserts were dry and overcooked. I will dismiss this as being a Restaurant Week issue.Special Features:
- Delish!powersgirlDined on 9/5/2014So thrilled we finally got to Fitler Dining Room. The food was excellent, perfect portion size and unique pairings is every dish. Our server was prompt, courteous and attentive, and everyone we encountered on the staff was a pleasure. Would definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent & Creative New-American!!PhedreVIPDined on 8/31/2014Finally got to Fitler Dining Room for brunch this weekend with my parents, who were visiting from out of town. I wanted to give them a taste of the excellent restaurant scene we have here in Philly, and boy did this place Fitler the bill! Lovely drinks and good coffee to start. I had heirloom tomato and eggplant ragout on grits with a poached egg - to die for. My mom had the seasonal gnocchi (with peaches, etc) and added a poached egg on top - fabulous. My dad is still raving about the classic breakfast - the best poached egg, the most flavorful breakfast potatoes, the wonderfully tasty sage sausage. A winner all around! Can't wait to get here for dinner!Special Features:
- Great FoodPhillyFrankVIPDined on 8/29/2014This is a great venue with the food being just wonderful. I had a new drink of Lillet and champagne. Off the map!! Just a real gem...Special Features:
- Summer Sunday BrunchchopphillyDined on 8/24/2014Had a lovely Sunday brunch at FDR! So many great choices for meals it was hard to decide! My only qualm was there were no sweet options on the menu when we went - not a french toast or pancake in sight. The biscuits were quite delicious though! Definitely going backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingPhillyphoodloverVIPDined on 8/20/2014This restaurant has 9 tables w an open kitchen. Great ambience, if a bit loud. Service was lackluster. Waiter didn't seem familiar w menu or wines, seemed disinterested in general, gave us little to no direction, and couldn't have been less excited about the menu. As a result we weren't sure we ordered well and felt we didn't have a great dining experience. We were also cramped in what originally looked like a cozy corner. The food was fine, but the experience overall left us feeling cold. We will not return.Special Features:
- Intimate and charmingAndrewVIPDined on 8/18/2014THis was our second time dining at Fitler Dining Room. It is an intimate little corner space in Center City on the quiet corner of Spruce and 22nd. They have a nice selection of wines. Their food seems mostly locally sourced and in season, and the preparation was unique and excellent. We were there on an early weeknight and it was very quiet. The service was good. And the experience overall positive. With many excellent choices in center ciy. I will certainly return here.Special Features:
- AmazingMattyMoDined on 8/5/2014Came for my wife's birthday with a small group. From the oysters, to the sangria, skate and bass, the food was masterfully prepared. It's a gem.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous FooddiningduoDined on 8/2/2014The food and service was fabulous. Limited menu but definitely worth a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulDickVIPDined on 8/1/2014Wonderful dining experience - every dish was perfectly done. Service was great. Will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulousFredVIPDined on 8/1/2014This was our third visit to FDR. We like to go there for special occasions because it feels like a special place-- intimate, cozy, romantic, homey. Every dish we've had in 3 visits has been phenomenal, beautifully prepared and presented and delicious. Prices are certainly reasonable for the quality of food.Special Features:
- Great menu. nasty waitressMervinTheSheriffDined on 7/27/2014I enjoyed my meal but won't be coming back due to unnecessarily nasty service. The waitress acted visibly pained at every question. We weren't a problem party and our questions were basic (i.e. What juice do you serve?) and she acted floored when we asked for bread. I guess the butter you put out was decorative? Lose the attitude. You work here. I'm eating here.Special Features:
- Excellent!PhiladelphiaVisitorVIPDined on 7/19/2014Great visit to FDR! Pleasant dining room with view of open kitchen, friendly service, and oh the food! Great choices for carnivores like me and veggies like my wife. Had a special Japanese fried chicken app which was scrumptious! Hangar steak was perfect. Best in memory! Wife loved the beet salad and the veggie plate! Agnolotti egg plant pasta was perfectly done. We finished sharing a cornbread, blueberry dessert which was capped with a dollop of caramel ice cream ... Inventive and a delight! We will return!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodKateVIPDined on 7/15/2014We ate at Fitler Dining Room for the first time last night and we will definitely be back. The food was terrific from appetizers to main courses to desserts! The service was friendly and attentive. I would go back just for the vegetables!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Neighborhood BiteRestaurantAdventurerVIPDined on 7/12/2014Came by for dinner on a Saturday evening around 6pm after making reservations the day before. The service was courteous and accurate, and we enjoyed a table on the sidewalk. Not the nicest views but it felt like a neighborhood rather than a busy street. The food was very good and visually appealing. My husband enjoyed the duck breast and I liked my fish. I also enjoyed the interesting flavors in the charred snow peas and the panna cotta dessert. Well done, FDR, we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MAYBE AN OFF NIGHTBIGRED1VIPDined on 7/9/2014LeBan wrote this place up a whie back and we had been meaning to try it. I think we may have caught them on an off July weeknight. Only 5 people in the dining room which to us didn't have much ambiance. Potato rolls outstanding, and the servers were great. We had a few drinks before coming here so really didn't notice if they had much of a wine list. It sort of felt like they had the second string in the kitchen, as it took a while for food to come with so few people there. My oyster appy came out way too scorched and should have never left the kithcen under a watchful eye. But it was handled very well and quickly replaced and was quite good. Wanted to really like this place and I'm sure others do, but just didn't do it for us.
- Disappointed this timeOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 7/8/2014My first visit was great so I had high expectations this second time. I was surprised the menu on arrival was slightly different than the one posted on their website. They had replaced halibut with striped bass, which is really unfortunate. The portion size was much too small, made even worse value-wise by the $32 price of the entree. Appetizers were also tiny. Only dessert was adequately sized. You know something's wrong when you have a three course meal and leave hungry. Flavor was just ok; certainly not good enough to make up for the other issues with the meal. Overall, a poor value and a disappointing second visit that will likely discourage a third.
- consistently outstandingMikeVIPDined on 7/5/2014This was my 4th meal at FDR and everything was perfect. The server I had again was not only attentive w/o crowding us but also helpful. I learned to trust her recommendations as she's made great suggestions in past meals there. I love the atmosphere here and my guest in from NYC found the place to be impressive. I chose this as our meal destination for the confidence I have in a great meal here.Special Features:
- Delicious!YummyDined on 7/4/2014Food and service was outstanding, but needs a realistic wine list with not overly priced wine for a person who might like just a glass to accompany dinner.Special Features:
- Creative food beutifully presentedecoth14Dined on 6/28/2014I was extremely impressed by the flavor combinations in everything we ate, but particularly with the vegetable dishes. The portion sizes were quite good, service was excellent and the ambiance is lovely. I appreciate that the menu changes seasonally and have confidence it would be good regardless.Special Features:
- Enough with the strawberries.ByoBrunetteDined on 6/24/2014We've all experienced a restaurant menu centered around seasonal ingredients. No problem. But if every dish includes strawberries, effort must be made to keep them from all tasting the same and being too sweet. My friend's beautiful fish was drowned in a cold strawberry sauce that was an awful pink color and absolutely cloying. My pasta had a sauce that, when accented with strawberries, was akin to eating noodles in BBQ sauce.
- Cool FoodfoodiefunkadelicDined on 6/18/2014Foodies will love this place. Really fantastic combinations of flavors and ingredients, cooked very well. Artsy approach to american comfort food in a fantastic, low key location. Nice dining room, cool people. No bar, only beer and wine, but a nice selection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- well doneRandyDined on 6/17/2014we had a great meal for our anniversary dinner -- highly highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- FairmontDined on 6/7/2014Wonderful. I had the Halibut, came with a strawberry sauce that was a real surprise. Light and summery, it was terrific. For appetizer, I had the duck liver parfait. Came with a light strawberry gelatin on top, delicious and certainly did not scrimp on the portion size. Ended with a terrific dessert, a chocolate gateau with frozen peanut butter mouse on the side and a cherry sauce. A little pricey at $10, but after my first bite, knew it was worth it. The gateau was incredible, warm and rich. Only suggestion, both my date and I thought that the cherry sauce didn't go great with the gateau. Would have gone with a rich whipped cream instead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Responsive Innovative Accommodating2ObservantGuestsDined on 5/30/2014Fitler Dining Room is an excellent restaurant. The food is inventive, the restrained menu allows the chef to create memorable dishes. No culinary slacking here. The staff was very responsive and invisible at the same time. A high compliment. I asked for a specific table at 7.15 on a Friday night. At 7.15 I was lead to that table. I love the cool composure of the place. My only complaint is the wine selection, it is price gouging. I had a mediocre white Bordeaux that was not nearly on par with everything else. FDR should not treat wine as a profit center and know that if they respected my wine palate as much as my culinary palate I would be back. it was an $11 dollar bottle sold for $55.00 c'mon, really? 500% mark up? Tacky.Special Features:
- DisappointedShippyDined on 5/29/2014Unfortunately our overall experience was underwhelming-from the food to the service and the very high prices for minimal food.
- Eateries4NANDined on 5/24/2014Charming spot with excellent food. Greta neighborhood enhances the experience. Staff very cordial. I will go there again when visiting philly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The ice storm....OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/22/2014I have dined here on several occasions and three times during the summer months in the last two years. The food is ALWAYS absolutely delicious and well worth the visit. However, it has been SO COLD!!!!! inside this restaurant during the summer months that I have literally been wrapping my napkin around my lap because the air conditioning is so chilly. And darn my luck to have it raining outside on 2 of my three summer visits so eating outdoors was not an option. PLEASE!!! Warm it up in there!!!!Special Features:
- Lived up to expectationsfabfoodinphillyDined on 5/22/2014So tasty + quaint, cozy, and just-right portion sizes. What else do you need? Don't miss it!Special Features:
- The following 186 reviews are from the Fitler Dining Room reviews archive.
- Good Food Relaxing EveningLindaVIPDined on 5/17/2014It was our wedding anniversary and we wanted to have a nice, not over the top, relaxing evening with good food . Fitler Dining Room is the perfect place for exactly what we wanted. We had a cozy banquette, some drinks to start. I had the asparagus appetizer, my husband the scallops. True to form he had the hanger steak and I had the sea bass. All was absolutely delicious. It's graduation season, so there were two large groups in the restaurant, and for such a small space, they took up most of the energy. But it was not too intrusive. Service was perfect, right there when you needed them, not when you didn't.Special Features:
- Mother's Day BrunchSteveDined on 5/11/2014I really enjoyed Fitler Dining Room for our Mother's Day Brunch. More importantly, so did my mother. I would definitely like to try them again when they were not so harried with a Mother's Day crowd. The food was still stellar, but I think the service was feeling the strain of the crowd. And yet, they were all still delightful. We went for brunch, but I really can't wait to go back for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/9/2014Our party of 6 was a little disappointed in Fitler Dining Room. The reviews were very good, however the food was simply above average and the service was mediocre at best. We are an experienced group of diners and felt that the experience did not meet expectations and was not worth the price.Special Features:
- great mealkenron113VIPDined on 5/9/2014went at 5:15 after we went to the Square Art festival - food was inspired especially the lamb ragout app. we were the only ones there so early so we got them to change the music from 70' rock festival to a more gentle swing music
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/4/2014Food combinations a little strange for some people but the shared Griggstown chicken is divine.Special Features:
- Outstanding!!!!WaltDined on 5/3/2014Went for my wife's birthday. Better than the best of Philadelphia resturants. I truly great dining experience. Going back next weekSpecial Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/2/2014I ate at Fitler Dining Room on friday evening. The weather was warm and it was a nice evening for dining. The food at Fitler Dining Room is very good. I had a pasta dish that was excellent. I also had a cheese platter that was the best I have ever had. I will definitely return.Special Features:
- Delicious BrunchJustinDined on 4/27/2014My wife and I went for a Sunday brunch and it did not disappoint. We had the sausage gravy and biscuits, the oyster and crab omelet and the breakfast potatoes. Everything was very flavorful and satisfying. Would definitely recommend to others, but since it's a small space you probably want to make a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/24/2014Amazing layering of flavors, good service and great atmosphere!Special Features: