Fitler Dining Room
2201 Spruce Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Fitler Dining Room
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fitlerdiningroom.com/
- Phone: 2157323331x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Served Daily Starting at 5:00pm
Saturday Lunch 12:00 - 3:00
Sunday Brunch 11:00 - 3:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Robert Marzinski
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Wine
A word from Fitler Dining Room
Located in Philadelphia’s charming Fitler Square neighborhood, FDR's Chef Rob Marzinsky serves a seasonal American menu focused on the Mid-Atlantic region.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Fitler Dining Room - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
Fitler Dining Room reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (80)neighborhood gem (78)romantic (43)great for outdoor dining (38)special occasion (36)notable wine list (20)great for brunch (17)good for groups (5)hot spot (4)late-night find (3)scenic view (2)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Incredible food, impeccable serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/23/2014My date and I split half a dozen dishes here, which were all excellent and very memorable. I don't think I could go back without ordering the Brussel Sprouts, String Beans, and Roasted Chicken (with the best broccoli I've ever had) again. As wonderful as the food was, the service was equally impressive. We never waited for anything we needed and the server was very warm and knowledgeable about the menu and provided us with some excellent recommendations. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerFoodieDined on 10/21/2014First time to FDR. Menu is somewhat limited, but food is delicious. Wine and beer only....no hard liquor. French bistro style interior, open kitchen concept. Great wait staff! Would recommend to friends. Stuffed from dinner, so dessert was not an option. Next time for sure!Special Features:
- MasonJar25Dined on 10/19/2014I have never been disappointed by anything that's come out of Rob's kitchen! The restaurant is adorable and the staff is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LWatkoDined on 10/18/2014Great Food! Great Service! We had a group of five, dinner at 8pm Saturday Night, and we just had the best time ever! Enjoyed the cheese plate, roasted beets, broccoli gratin, and oysters, ALL Excellent! We ordered 3 sea bass and 2 chicken sandwiches, ALL Excellent! I LOVED this placed.Special Features:
- agnesDined on 10/18/2014Especially enjoyed the unusual menu and the small size of FDR. Different is good!Special Features:
- Only fairRdl1VIPDined on 10/17/2014Too noisy, food choices fair. Did not like that they took a 20 percent tip and calculated it on top of the tax. Not coming back.
- Vegetarian-friendly brunch! Thanks!NYCPHLVIPDined on 10/12/2014Also great for non-vegetarian brunch. The egg white omelet was incredible! My dining partner was dubious until I have him a piece. I love this place.Special Features:
- Brunch was perfect!jrwfromphillyVIPDined on 10/12/2014We enjoyed a beautiful brunch on a sunny fall Sunday - while my friends stayed with eggs, I ordered the ragout and none of us were disappointed with our choices. Service was perfect, coffee plentiful, all in all a wonderful exprerienced. Can't wait to try dinner.Special Features:
- BignassDined on 10/11/2014This is a wonderful neighborhood GEM with excellent food and exceptional service staff. We have been enjoying FDR every few weeks for dinner for the past year and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The menu was a bit fishy...IsaacDined on 10/8/2014I looked at the website menu beforehand and was deciding between the steak and chicken. The menu at the restaurant had different entrees than the site. That is fine, I know menus change often (I wish they would update their website menu though). There was no steak option. Only 2 Fish options, a Chicken option, and an Egg Noodle option. I don't like fish much and I wanted meat so I chose chicken. The chicken option came with 'caesar dressing' and while I ate my chicken, it honestly tasted like fish. I realized that it was the anchovies in the dressing that was giving my chicken a very strong fish flavor. This was a disappointment because the chicken was good. So it was either noodles, fish, or chicken-fish. Bummer if you don't love fish.Special Features:
- Great food. Slow kitchenFoodguyDined on 10/5/2014A group of us went there for brunch, and most of us thought that the food was flavorful and well prepared. I had the oyster stew, which was delicious. The portion size, however, was far too meager for the price. In addition, i had to pay additional for bread. Seems to me that stew ought to be served with bread. Although the restaurant was not very crowded, the kitchen had trouble getting the food out. We waited nearly a half-hour to 40 minutes after we ordered for our food.Special Features:
- Great food, terrible serviceAlc22VIPDined on 10/3/2014We had friends visiting from NYC and wanted to try someplace new- FDR had been on our list for awhile so we made a last-minute late dinner reservation for 9:45 on a Friday night. We arrived early, were seated immediately...and immediately felt pressured to order, eat and get out. Our waiter was very curt with us, and while the food was very good, he kept trying to take it off the table before we were done! We ordered 4 appetizers to share, and he attempted to take the cheese plate and the beet salad while we were still eating- we had to ask him to put the plates back down! (He didn't ask or care if we were done). And at the end, we were definitely rushed out. Would try again...hopefully with a different server next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014Food was wonderful and service was flawless. Loved the small intimate space. Menu was limited but everyone found something interesting. Very good food from apps to dessert! Definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely placeAcm5255VIPDined on 9/26/2014Great for a romantic date or groups, it is a small place but accommodating. The ambiance is casual but trendy. They have a robust selection of wine and the food was all delicious and very unique.Special Features:
- JackfanDined on 9/22/2014As is often the case with small restaurants, appetizers were outstanding; entres were okay. Green Beans and goat cheese appetizer was particularly tasty. My greatest complaint is that we had to wave for the waiter several times during the evening. To their credit, waiters not assigned to our table were superbly accommodating when flagged-- but it begs the question: where was our waiter, or anyone interested in whether we were prepared to order more and spend more money? Clearly uninterested or disengaged. Evidently, attention to guests and the progress of their meal is not of concern to Fitler's waiters. It was okay, but I left thinking I wouldn't rush to return.Special Features:
- Great food--moderate pricesgoodeaterDined on 9/20/2014We had a great dinner this week. Innovative menu, moderate prices, and one of the best desserts I've ever had. Toasted blueberry cornbread (!) with blueberry compote, caramel ice cream and caramel popcorn!Special Features:
- My expectations were too high...HotAirVIPDined on 9/19/2014On the one hand, I was very happy I could order from the regular menu during restaurant week, but I didn't find FDR on par with Farm and Fisherman, Cochon, Pumpkin, Matyson, Will, Fond, etc. I don't like the requirement that you must give your credit card upon reserving, either. Our waiter was top notch.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014I had a wonderful date night night here with attentive service and surprising yet delicious flavors in the main dishes. Even the oyster appetizers were unusually good.Special Features:
- Top-notch brunchkenzieDined on 9/14/2014If you want to be surprised and delighted by brunch, this is the place to try. You will not find the typical, syrupy late morning, upgrade on IHOP that has come to stand for brunch. What you will find is stunning seasonal variety and perfectly savory fare. Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciouschompchompchompDined on 9/13/2014FDR has been a great time with great food every visit.Special Features:
- Innovative versions of your favsKMagnussVIPDined on 9/12/2014Creativity goes a long way in my book and Fitler Dining Room really impressed! The oysters were presented with fish eggs instead of the standard horseradish and cocktail sauce combo, the salads were bursting with fresh bright flavors, and the skate was served over a savory broth. Unfortunately, the desserts were dry and overcooked. I will dismiss this as being a Restaurant Week issue.Special Features:
- Delish!powersgirlDined on 9/5/2014So thrilled we finally got to Fitler Dining Room. The food was excellent, perfect portion size and unique pairings is every dish. Our server was prompt, courteous and attentive, and everyone we encountered on the staff was a pleasure. Would definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent & Creative New-American!!PhedreVIPDined on 8/31/2014Finally got to Fitler Dining Room for brunch this weekend with my parents, who were visiting from out of town. I wanted to give them a taste of the excellent restaurant scene we have here in Philly, and boy did this place Fitler the bill! Lovely drinks and good coffee to start. I had heirloom tomato and eggplant ragout on grits with a poached egg - to die for. My mom had the seasonal gnocchi (with peaches, etc) and added a poached egg on top - fabulous. My dad is still raving about the classic breakfast - the best poached egg, the most flavorful breakfast potatoes, the wonderfully tasty sage sausage. A winner all around! Can't wait to get here for dinner!Special Features:
- Great FoodPhillyFrankVIPDined on 8/29/2014This is a great venue with the food being just wonderful. I had a new drink of Lillet and champagne. Off the map!! Just a real gem...Special Features:
- Summer Sunday BrunchchopphillyDined on 8/24/2014Had a lovely Sunday brunch at FDR! So many great choices for meals it was hard to decide! My only qualm was there were no sweet options on the menu when we went - not a french toast or pancake in sight. The biscuits were quite delicious though! Definitely going backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingPhillyphoodloverVIPDined on 8/20/2014This restaurant has 9 tables w an open kitchen. Great ambience, if a bit loud. Service was lackluster. Waiter didn't seem familiar w menu or wines, seemed disinterested in general, gave us little to no direction, and couldn't have been less excited about the menu. As a result we weren't sure we ordered well and felt we didn't have a great dining experience. We were also cramped in what originally looked like a cozy corner. The food was fine, but the experience overall left us feeling cold. We will not return.Special Features:
- Intimate and charmingAndrewVIPDined on 8/18/2014THis was our second time dining at Fitler Dining Room. It is an intimate little corner space in Center City on the quiet corner of Spruce and 22nd. They have a nice selection of wines. Their food seems mostly locally sourced and in season, and the preparation was unique and excellent. We were there on an early weeknight and it was very quiet. The service was good. And the experience overall positive. With many excellent choices in center ciy. I will certainly return here.Special Features:
- AmazingMattyMoDined on 8/5/2014Came for my wife's birthday with a small group. From the oysters, to the sangria, skate and bass, the food was masterfully prepared. It's a gem.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous FooddiningduoDined on 8/2/2014The food and service was fabulous. Limited menu but definitely worth a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulDickVIPDined on 8/1/2014Wonderful dining experience - every dish was perfectly done. Service was great. Will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulousFredVIPDined on 8/1/2014This was our third visit to FDR. We like to go there for special occasions because it feels like a special place-- intimate, cozy, romantic, homey. Every dish we've had in 3 visits has been phenomenal, beautifully prepared and presented and delicious. Prices are certainly reasonable for the quality of food.Special Features:
- Great menu. nasty waitressMervinTheSheriffDined on 7/27/2014I enjoyed my meal but won't be coming back due to unnecessarily nasty service. The waitress acted visibly pained at every question. We weren't a problem party and our questions were basic (i.e. What juice do you serve?) and she acted floored when we asked for bread. I guess the butter you put out was decorative? Lose the attitude. You work here. I'm eating here.Special Features:
- Excellent!PhiladelphiaVisitorVIPDined on 7/19/2014Great visit to FDR! Pleasant dining room with view of open kitchen, friendly service, and oh the food! Great choices for carnivores like me and veggies like my wife. Had a special Japanese fried chicken app which was scrumptious! Hangar steak was perfect. Best in memory! Wife loved the beet salad and the veggie plate! Agnolotti egg plant pasta was perfectly done. We finished sharing a cornbread, blueberry dessert which was capped with a dollop of caramel ice cream ... Inventive and a delight! We will return!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodKateVIPDined on 7/15/2014We ate at Fitler Dining Room for the first time last night and we will definitely be back. The food was terrific from appetizers to main courses to desserts! The service was friendly and attentive. I would go back just for the vegetables!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Neighborhood BiteRestaurantAdventurerVIPDined on 7/12/2014Came by for dinner on a Saturday evening around 6pm after making reservations the day before. The service was courteous and accurate, and we enjoyed a table on the sidewalk. Not the nicest views but it felt like a neighborhood rather than a busy street. The food was very good and visually appealing. My husband enjoyed the duck breast and I liked my fish. I also enjoyed the interesting flavors in the charred snow peas and the panna cotta dessert. Well done, FDR, we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MAYBE AN OFF NIGHTBIGRED1VIPDined on 7/9/2014LeBan wrote this place up a whie back and we had been meaning to try it. I think we may have caught them on an off July weeknight. Only 5 people in the dining room which to us didn't have much ambiance. Potato rolls outstanding, and the servers were great. We had a few drinks before coming here so really didn't notice if they had much of a wine list. It sort of felt like they had the second string in the kitchen, as it took a while for food to come with so few people there. My oyster appy came out way too scorched and should have never left the kithcen under a watchful eye. But it was handled very well and quickly replaced and was quite good. Wanted to really like this place and I'm sure others do, but just didn't do it for us.
- Disappointed this timeOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 7/8/2014My first visit was great so I had high expectations this second time. I was surprised the menu on arrival was slightly different than the one posted on their website. They had replaced halibut with striped bass, which is really unfortunate. The portion size was much too small, made even worse value-wise by the $32 price of the entree. Appetizers were also tiny. Only dessert was adequately sized. You know something's wrong when you have a three course meal and leave hungry. Flavor was just ok; certainly not good enough to make up for the other issues with the meal. Overall, a poor value and a disappointing second visit that will likely discourage a third.
- consistently outstandingMikeVIPDined on 7/5/2014This was my 4th meal at FDR and everything was perfect. The server I had again was not only attentive w/o crowding us but also helpful. I learned to trust her recommendations as she's made great suggestions in past meals there. I love the atmosphere here and my guest in from NYC found the place to be impressive. I chose this as our meal destination for the confidence I have in a great meal here.Special Features:
- Delicious!YummyDined on 7/4/2014Food and service was outstanding, but needs a realistic wine list with not overly priced wine for a person who might like just a glass to accompany dinner.Special Features:
- Creative food beutifully presentedecoth14Dined on 6/28/2014I was extremely impressed by the flavor combinations in everything we ate, but particularly with the vegetable dishes. The portion sizes were quite good, service was excellent and the ambiance is lovely. I appreciate that the menu changes seasonally and have confidence it would be good regardless.Special Features:
- The following 195 reviews are from the Fitler Dining Room reviews archive.