Fishing With Dynamite
1148 Manhattan Avenue
Manhattan Beach, CA 90266Neighborhood:
Manhattan Beach / Hermosa Beach
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Fishing With Dynamite
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.eatfwd.com/
- Phone: 3108936299x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Saturday: 11:30am - 5:00pm
Sunday - Wednesday: 11:30am - 10:00pm; Thursday - Saturday: 11:30am - 10:30pm; Bar Later
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: David LeFevre
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
A word from Fishing With Dynamite
Fishing with Dynamite, an oyster bar and seafood house where East meets West in the South Bay. Chef and co-owner David LeFevre brings an upbeat and lively approach to a tradition...Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Fishing With Dynamite - Best Restaurants in Manhattan Beach / Hermosa Beach ›
Fishing With Dynamite reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (72)neighborhood gem (55)great for lunch (43)hot spot (35)special occasion (28)scenic view (16)romantic (9)great for brunch (8)vibrant bar scene (7)notable wine list (7)good for groups (2)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Small Space,... Small Plate HeavenTerramarmanDined on 8/31/2014Restaurant is very small, which in my opinion makes for a better, more intimate experience. Perfect service and timing. Our party of 3 ordered several small plates and shared, thus we were able to try many items on the menu. All were excellent. I highly recommend FWD. Creative name, creative space,….creative and amazing food!….and cocktails!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoveToDineLoveToDineVIPDined on 8/21/2014AMAZING food. Was sorry I couldn't have vino with my business lunch oysters. Requested "3 courses" and received everything at once. Other than that, everything was great!
- Love this placeGreatAnnivVIPDined on 8/18/2014Spent a wonderful anniversary there. We were the 3rd of the night celebrating. It's no wonder. Such a special place with wonderful service and amazing, amazing food. The manager even brought us a dish that was not on the menu. A perfect evening.Special Features:
- Super freshHmmmmnVIPDined on 8/18/2014Amazing seafood. Fresh raw bar. Wonderful preparations. Super friendly service.Special Features:
- Love with FWDMinouyeDined on 8/17/2014I enjoy their dishes a lot. Although some of dishes were overpriced and wasn't tasty as much. But over all experience were just awesome. Little place is always packed and little bit of slow service, so don't try this restaurant if you are in hurry. The claim chowder is one of the best I ever had, their oysters are always fresh. I love Hamachi, however the sauce is too strong that killing Hamachi's taste itself, and there were only 4 pieces .. for $17? I will never try it again.Special Features:
- Attention, Oyster Lovers! Come hereMamaVIPDined on 8/16/2014I don't know how or why the oysters at Fishing With Dynamite are superior to all others. Is it the way they are stored or shucked or selected? No idea. I have had oysters in some of the best seafood restaurants in Southern Calif and these are the best. Also love their crab cakes. Excellent cocktails, too. Perfect for a lazy lunch on a beautiful summer day.
- Fresh inventive seafoodLeGluttonDined on 8/15/2014If you're a seafood lover, this is a great restaurant. Even though they source heir ingredients from all over the world, it all tastes very fresh. They are also very creative with their preparation. For example, their clam chowder is different than anything I've had in New England. It was quite delicious l!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/13/2014My husband and I frequent FWD and LOVE it. Try the raw clams and the chef's moms sqash rolls. You will be happy!Special Features:
- Outstanding SeafoodEasyguy711Dined on 8/10/2014The seafood seemed as fresh as it gets and of the highest quality, properly handled, which is in the end, the bottom line. Food was a bit pricey but we received what we paid for. Service was good. We had to wait for our white wine to be chilled. Why? The wine selection very good but in my opinion, about 25% overpriced. Excellent food preparations, all perfectly light and balanced dishes. We don't eat fried foods, but everyone else was, so they're probably pretty good. Looking forward to checking out it's consistency in a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Difficult for large parties for dinner, but easier to accommodate for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nativeDined on 8/6/2014don't want to play no reservations available game plenty of openings was told walking was better my time too valuable to wait or not will discourage friends from going. we don't appreciate the hype.Special Features:
- Fresh raw seafood barOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/31/2014Quality food. Creative scratch cocktails. Nice little spot. Recommend reservations, otherwise be prepared to wait. We'll be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Fish at the BeachbeachgrubDined on 7/27/2014Nice to have a place at the beach with great fish. Usually you get the beach or great fish. Oysters are definitely worth the trip. Nice selection of wine by the glass and beers on tap. Easy to stop by for a small bite or stay for a full meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh Fish, Winning WinesHermosaPatDined on 7/24/2014We felt lucky to score a lunch reservation, and we were seated immediately. Clean, bright, lively but not overwhelming atmosphere. Professional, friendly, organized servers. Delicious oysters and luscious uni served promptly and attractively. Interesting menu choices from grilled or fried fish tacos to grilled octopus and fresh fish choices. Good wine list, although some a bit pricey. Worth every penny for the freshness and preparation of seafood as well as the creative sauces and sides. Skipped dessert but saw a few, and they looked great. Very pleasant lunch experience and now looking forward to dinner there soon.Special Features:
- did not meet expecatationswinophileDined on 7/15/2014the appetizer of clam chowder was excellent, one of the best I've ever had, and turned out to be the best meal of the evening. I had the halibut and my guest the swordfish - both were under seasoned and lacked any kind of sauce. The side dish of ratatouille was delicious, but a portion that even a hobbit would find too small. the server explained that it was a "tapas" type menu - sorry, but didn't buy that explanation. a single tapas dish that costs $25? maybe in Tokyo, but not MB. service was excellent with a better than norm wine list. would try again and see if perhaps the first time was an aberration.Special Features:
- Wonderful Seafood RestaurantVivSVIPDined on 7/2/2014I finally visited this restaurant the other day. I had been looking forward to trying the food there since the restaurant had so many wonderful comments. It is a seafood small plate type restaurant. We over ordered by getting 4 small plates. Our soft shell crab po boy sandwich was out of this world. We loved the Char salad also. The pork sandwich was very tasty also. We definitely would dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulNomnomnomDined on 6/30/2014We had an amazing feast at FWD. Every dish was unique and appetizing enough to make you want to try everything on the menu and each plate was as good as the last. A great wine list by the glass so everybody at the table can satisfy their own taste. Service fantastic and atmosphere to match.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/28/2014Outstanding! Food was exceptional from the oysters to the small plates. Interesting cocktails, too. Tiny, but worth the trouble to get in. Can't wait to go back. Music could be a bit quieter.Special Features:
- Great food, but a bit priceyTeenyJDined on 6/28/2014It was my first time dining there. Staff was friendly, seafood was good and tasted fresh, but I had to knock off a star because of the priciness. Our server mentioned that the food was small portioned and she was right. I had a lemonade, bowl of clam chowder and the crab cake plate (which was a 4-inch round single crab cake served with a dill pickle) and my total before tip was $31. It's also off-street parking, which on hot summer day means you could literally wander around forever looking for a spot.Special Features:
- over hyped and over pricedjsleemdDined on 6/28/2014Small tapas portions priced like main courses. Fried items are too greasy and raw oysters are just alright.Special Features:
- DianeDined on 6/27/2014Food and service were fantastic--but it is a bit loud for conversationSpecial Features:
- perfectbeetlebeardDined on 6/24/2014Delicious, perfectly prepared dishes. Familiar but inventive menu. Knowledgeable, friendly, engaged server. A+ ambiance and deco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An impeccable dining experienceSchmamoVIPDined on 6/7/2014I do not often find myself in the beach cities, but when I do, I use it as an occasion to check another noted restaurant off the list. This time, I was lucky enough to score reservations at FWD and Little Sister. I have to say that the comparison was stark. At FWD, we were seated immediately, the servers were attentive and management polite, and the food was really something to write home about. My husband's fish and chips were some of the most tasty versions of this dish I've ever had - moist on the inside yet perfectly crispy and golden on the outside. The shellfish was to die for. Compared later to Little Sister, where we waited over an hour for food with little apology, it is clear which establishment will receive a return visit.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/7/2014Incredible every time, and the bread pudding is my favorite desert in townSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love FYDDBHBCAVIPDined on 6/6/2014I've dined here too many times to count since they opened. Loving the new menu items. Looking forward to many dinners here this summer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent SeafoodRahproVIPDined on 5/30/2014Amazing seafood dishes that each one is unique Music was SO loud for tiny place is was crazy and asked to turn down 2 times Each time turned down a littleSpecial Features:
- Gone fishingFoon47Dined on 5/29/2014We made the reservation about 6 weeks before we went, so we were anticipating a great meal. Unfortunately it wasn't to be. My husband ordered the clam chowder which looked like milk with a few clams in so he left the soup. He told the waitress it should have been thicker and she basically agreed. He also had halibut which was tasteless so we had to add plenty of salt and pepper. On the other hand I had a crab cake which was delicious, and then hamachi which was also very good. We each had a small glass of wine and the bill was $85 without tax. I think for an average restaurant the prices are very high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I should have known betterMcBabeDined on 5/21/2014I've been trying to get into FWD for awhile because of the reviews so I booked way in advance for our 20th anniversary. The seating was definitely very tight and it was very loud but the staff was good and friendly. I am not a extreme foodie so I should have known that it would be a little to the gourmet side. One out of the three dishes was a little "odd". It was a rice dish that I am sure would be great on it's own without the raw egg resting on the top. The menu did not say raw egg. It still makes me cringe a little now. Anyway, beware of the raw egg dish. Otherwise, the crab cake and shrimp cocktail were great! Final assessment: very pricey for a small amount of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dont't Forget DessertOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/19/2014You may be going there for Seafood, The Dessert is not to be missed. Great Key Lime Pie and Bread Pudding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food, Fun AtmosphereNataliaRoseDined on 5/16/2014I came here for lunch with a coworker and it won't be our last time there! We started with the squash rolls with rosemary butter and then moved on to lunch, I had the octopus and my coworker had the artic chard everything was so tasty. The ingredients were really fresh and flavorful. The interior feel like a quirky summer cabin in the northeast from the fun tiles to the quirky odds and ends above the bar. This might be one of our new lunch spots, and I can't wait to try it for dinner!Special Features:
- A must!JuliVIPDined on 5/13/2014By far the best new resturant! An absolute must!!!! Delightful staff, amazing food, super fun too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ILOVEFOODDined on 5/12/2014I would have to say that there cocktails are were right on. Drinks were absolutely fantastic. The Hamachi plate was delicious as well. As for the the platters I would give it a 78%. The server mentioned that the rice risotto dish had won some reward in NY but I couldn't understand how...the rice was way too al dante almost to the point where the rice was hard and the sauce was really salty. It was a good experience but I don't know if I would go back here again.
- The following 155 reviews are from the Fishing With Dynamite reviews archive.
- Outstanding fresh seafood.Graham50Dined on 5/2/2014Great selection of raw clams firm around the country but the item to come for is the urchin. The sweet and creamy Santa Barbara urchin is the best I've had in the US and the price was very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- innovative seafood without the fussLenaKDined on 4/27/2014i've been here twice already! the place is a bit small but feels cozy. we sampled the oysters added the lobster, and peruvian scallops! the scallops which were served atop an overly sweet white corn purée and topped with pickled peach and micro greens of sage and cilantro were raw and fantastic! other standouts are the black kale, Maryland blue crab cake with house-made pickles, the rosemary vinegar fries, and “New England Clam Chowdah". we also dug the shrimp po' boy....An average meal for two, without drinks or tip, is about $75. so a bit pricey but for the freshness of the seafood, totally worth the drive and price.Special Features:
- Dy-no-mite!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/24/2014If you are a true lover of seafood or just good food, there is no better. They use the best ingredients and prepare them simply for outstanding results. Get a bottle of champagne, a couple dozen oysters and you'll have not a care in the world.Special Features:
- jeffandloriDined on 4/23/2014The selection and quality of the fish and shellfish is unparalleled. Preparation of the food is outstanding. A must-visit for the serious foodie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so Fabulous!6LassiesVIPDined on 4/21/2014Gosh I loved this place so much I went back for lunch the next day! Hard to get a reservation, but I had great luck at the bar walking in. Alma is the Hostess with the Most-est! Oysters were icy and amazing. Really went crazy for Black Cod and the Pork Belly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little spotOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/20/2014I was there with the bf for Easter sunday brunch and was very delighted with the selection of food and drinks! Loved the food and service. Will definitely come back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy! Can't wait to go back.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/19/2014Overall, the food was delicious! We tend to like places where the food is not over seasoned, so that the actual food can shine. FWD is one of these places! We tried a couple of varieties of oysters... So good! We also had the kale, shrimp po boy, hamachi, and crab cake. Everything we tried was good. We will definitely be back to try other items on the menu (even though we really enjoyed everything we already tried). The casual setting is great and fits in with the location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistency & smiles all around :)sarahVIPDined on 4/13/2014First off, the space is small. BUT they make up for it in the quality of their food, service, and drinks. I have yet to have a bad experience here. I am an impatient person, and had to wait 5-10 minutes to be seated upon arrival of my reservation time. However, the manager (or asst mgr) was thoughtful and came by to check on us while we had drinks at the bar. They comped our appetizers we ordered while waiting for our table, which was a pleasant surprise realized at the end of our meal. Our server was quick in taking our orders and we didn't have to wait long for our many dishes to arrive so the expeditor is doing a great job. Great service is EVERYTHING nowadays in making a restaurant a "return destination" & this place has won my heart.Special Features: