Fishing With Dynamite
1148 Manhattan Avenue
Manhattan Beach, CA 90266Neighborhood:
Manhattan Beach / Hermosa Beach
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Fishing With Dynamite
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.eatfwd.com/
- Phone: 3108936299x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Saturday: 11:30am - 5:00pm
Sunday - Wednesday: 11:30am - 10:00pm; Thursday - Saturday: 11:30am - 10:30pm; Bar Later
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: David LeFevre
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
A word from Fishing With Dynamite
Fishing with Dynamite, an oyster bar and seafood house where East meets West in the South Bay. Chef and co-owner David LeFevre brings an upbeat and lively approach to a tradition...Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Fishing With Dynamite - Best Restaurants in Manhattan Beach / Hermosa Beach ›
Fishing With Dynamite reviews from OpenTable diners
90 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (76)neighborhood gem (57)great for lunch (43)hot spot (40)special occasion (22)scenic view (14)notable wine list (10)great for brunch (8)vibrant bar scene (7)romantic (7)kid-friendly (3)good for groups (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- irileyDined on 9/15/2014The service was excellent, and the food was very good, if not completely mind blowing. Certainly it would be hard to find a better raw bar, and the dozen oysters we had to begin the meal were likely the best part. Also notable were a crab cake served on an aioli-like sauce with assorted pickles, and the squash buns that everyone raves about. Everything was prepared masterfully, if not creatively. Good food at reasonable prices. The service was excellent. We arrived an hour and a half before our reservation but were seated immediately at 7:30. The staff was helpful, friendly and attentive without being overbearing, and maneuvered without noticeable effort through the small and packed restaurant. A good night out for sure.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/15/2014Gem of a restaurant in a side street in the heart of beautiful Manhattan Beach. Interesting menu, super fun energetic vibe. Softshell crab soup and sauteed Kale - a must! Will go again - not to be missedSpecial Features:
- Very cool and deliciousRicoDined on 9/15/2014Wonderful innovative yummy seafood with some modern and traditional touches. Coming from the DC area--the land of crabcakes--I found the blue crab crabcakes to be the very best West of the Eastern Shore. Worth a return trip just to eat all the other items on the menu We loved the hamachi, the soft shell crab po'boy, and the shrimp tacos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great raw barHmmmmnVIPDined on 9/13/2014Had fresh uni and oysters at perfect temp. The grilled octopus was melt in your mouth. Everything was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A GemSamolocalVIPDined on 9/11/2014Tiny, noisy space, but charming. Perfect fresh seafood, interesting cocktails and fun crowd. Short but innovative wine list. I prefer going for lunch when the crowd's less crazy. Nice to see the service is professional, friendly and without any 'tude.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yum yum yumeatnbhappyDined on 9/10/2014so happy to see more fantastic restaurants in the south bay. everything was fantastic especially the soft shell crab po'boy!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!FoodTourWithIraDined on 9/7/2014food presentation is neat, taste was amazingly delish, service was fantastic! Dominic is the best!, the place is small but cute and it's located at Manhattan beach. What else could you ask for. I will definitely recommend it! Oh! and fishing dynamite, I will see you again very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ClamsfeffernewtonDined on 9/5/2014A bit too noisy for these 75 yr. old ears otherwise fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!CrazyForACriticDined on 9/3/2014Always so good. The best fish tacos ever. Flavors are subtle but such a WOW. It's a tiny place that can get lively. Overall, it's a place I'd bring friends for an excellent dining experience and it's also the place I could drop in to grab a quick lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yes, it's dynamite and fishRauleeVIPDined on 9/1/2014This is a very special corner of the world. The freshest and most interesting seafood from all over the world. Delicious and interesting sauces to complement each. And loving servers. The free bubbly water is a nice touch too to remind you of the nearby ocean. There are a couple of seats with a view too. Swim in delicious fish!Special Features:
- Small Space,... Small Plate HeavenTerramarmanDined on 8/31/2014Restaurant is very small, which in my opinion makes for a better, more intimate experience. Perfect service and timing. Our party of 3 ordered several small plates and shared, thus we were able to try many items on the menu. All were excellent. I highly recommend FWD. Creative name, creative space,….creative and amazing food!….and cocktails!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoveToDineLoveToDineVIPDined on 8/21/2014AMAZING food. Was sorry I couldn't have vino with my business lunch oysters. Requested "3 courses" and received everything at once. Other than that, everything was great!
- Love this placeGreatAnnivVIPDined on 8/18/2014Spent a wonderful anniversary there. We were the 3rd of the night celebrating. It's no wonder. Such a special place with wonderful service and amazing, amazing food. The manager even brought us a dish that was not on the menu. A perfect evening.Special Features:
- Super freshHmmmmnVIPDined on 8/18/2014Amazing seafood. Fresh raw bar. Wonderful preparations. Super friendly service.Special Features:
- Love with FWDMinouyeDined on 8/17/2014I enjoy their dishes a lot. Although some of dishes were overpriced and wasn't tasty as much. But over all experience were just awesome. Little place is always packed and little bit of slow service, so don't try this restaurant if you are in hurry. The claim chowder is one of the best I ever had, their oysters are always fresh. I love Hamachi, however the sauce is too strong that killing Hamachi's taste itself, and there were only 4 pieces .. for $17? I will never try it again.Special Features:
- Attention, Oyster Lovers! Come hereMamaVIPDined on 8/16/2014I don't know how or why the oysters at Fishing With Dynamite are superior to all others. Is it the way they are stored or shucked or selected? No idea. I have had oysters in some of the best seafood restaurants in Southern Calif and these are the best. Also love their crab cakes. Excellent cocktails, too. Perfect for a lazy lunch on a beautiful summer day.
- Fresh inventive seafoodLeGluttonDined on 8/15/2014If you're a seafood lover, this is a great restaurant. Even though they source heir ingredients from all over the world, it all tastes very fresh. They are also very creative with their preparation. For example, their clam chowder is different than anything I've had in New England. It was quite delicious l!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/13/2014My husband and I frequent FWD and LOVE it. Try the raw clams and the chef's moms sqash rolls. You will be happy!Special Features:
- Daycation lunchFromLAtoATLVIPDined on 8/12/2014Fishing With Dynamite was on my daycation to do list. I arrived just as the restaurant opened and was seated at the corner window spot with a good view of the ocean down the street. This is a shoebox of a place and as the lunch crowd arrived I was grateful for the corner location. Everything was delicious -- custom seafood tower of oysters and lobster, grilled white corn, squash rolls, and key lime pie. I wished that I had another stomach to be able to try the crab cake, koshikari rice and more raw bar items. That's on my next daycation to do list. Sydney was a great guide to the menu and also knowledgeable about music festivals. Ask for her table if you go.Special Features:
- Outstanding SeafoodEasyguy711Dined on 8/10/2014The seafood seemed as fresh as it gets and of the highest quality, properly handled, which is in the end, the bottom line. Food was a bit pricey but we received what we paid for. Service was good. We had to wait for our white wine to be chilled. Why? The wine selection very good but in my opinion, about 25% overpriced. Excellent food preparations, all perfectly light and balanced dishes. We don't eat fried foods, but everyone else was, so they're probably pretty good. Looking forward to checking out it's consistency in a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Difficult for large parties for dinner, but easier to accommodate for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nativeDined on 8/6/2014don't want to play no reservations available game plenty of openings was told walking was better my time too valuable to wait or not will discourage friends from going. we don't appreciate the hype.Special Features:
- Fresh raw seafood barOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/31/2014Quality food. Creative scratch cocktails. Nice little spot. Recommend reservations, otherwise be prepared to wait. We'll be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Fish at the BeachbeachgrubDined on 7/27/2014Nice to have a place at the beach with great fish. Usually you get the beach or great fish. Oysters are definitely worth the trip. Nice selection of wine by the glass and beers on tap. Easy to stop by for a small bite or stay for a full meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh Fish, Winning WinesHermosaPatDined on 7/24/2014We felt lucky to score a lunch reservation, and we were seated immediately. Clean, bright, lively but not overwhelming atmosphere. Professional, friendly, organized servers. Delicious oysters and luscious uni served promptly and attractively. Interesting menu choices from grilled or fried fish tacos to grilled octopus and fresh fish choices. Good wine list, although some a bit pricey. Worth every penny for the freshness and preparation of seafood as well as the creative sauces and sides. Skipped dessert but saw a few, and they looked great. Very pleasant lunch experience and now looking forward to dinner there soon.Special Features:
- did not meet expecatationswinophileDined on 7/15/2014the appetizer of clam chowder was excellent, one of the best I've ever had, and turned out to be the best meal of the evening. I had the halibut and my guest the swordfish - both were under seasoned and lacked any kind of sauce. The side dish of ratatouille was delicious, but a portion that even a hobbit would find too small. the server explained that it was a "tapas" type menu - sorry, but didn't buy that explanation. a single tapas dish that costs $25? maybe in Tokyo, but not MB. service was excellent with a better than norm wine list. would try again and see if perhaps the first time was an aberration.Special Features:
- Wonderful Seafood RestaurantVivSVIPDined on 7/2/2014I finally visited this restaurant the other day. I had been looking forward to trying the food there since the restaurant had so many wonderful comments. It is a seafood small plate type restaurant. We over ordered by getting 4 small plates. Our soft shell crab po boy sandwich was out of this world. We loved the Char salad also. The pork sandwich was very tasty also. We definitely would dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulNomnomnomDined on 6/30/2014We had an amazing feast at FWD. Every dish was unique and appetizing enough to make you want to try everything on the menu and each plate was as good as the last. A great wine list by the glass so everybody at the table can satisfy their own taste. Service fantastic and atmosphere to match.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/28/2014Outstanding! Food was exceptional from the oysters to the small plates. Interesting cocktails, too. Tiny, but worth the trouble to get in. Can't wait to go back. Music could be a bit quieter.Special Features:
- Great food, but a bit priceyTeenyJDined on 6/28/2014It was my first time dining there. Staff was friendly, seafood was good and tasted fresh, but I had to knock off a star because of the priciness. Our server mentioned that the food was small portioned and she was right. I had a lemonade, bowl of clam chowder and the crab cake plate (which was a 4-inch round single crab cake served with a dill pickle) and my total before tip was $31. It's also off-street parking, which on hot summer day means you could literally wander around forever looking for a spot.Special Features:
- over hyped and over pricedjsleemdDined on 6/28/2014Small tapas portions priced like main courses. Fried items are too greasy and raw oysters are just alright.Special Features:
- DianeDined on 6/27/2014Food and service were fantastic--but it is a bit loud for conversationSpecial Features:
- perfectbeetlebeardDined on 6/24/2014Delicious, perfectly prepared dishes. Familiar but inventive menu. Knowledgeable, friendly, engaged server. A+ ambiance and deco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful gem.jb2bVIPDined on 6/8/2014Tiny place. Amazing food. Ultra charming. Winner every time.Special Features:
- An impeccable dining experienceSchmamoVIPDined on 6/7/2014I do not often find myself in the beach cities, but when I do, I use it as an occasion to check another noted restaurant off the list. This time, I was lucky enough to score reservations at FWD and Little Sister. I have to say that the comparison was stark. At FWD, we were seated immediately, the servers were attentive and management polite, and the food was really something to write home about. My husband's fish and chips were some of the most tasty versions of this dish I've ever had - moist on the inside yet perfectly crispy and golden on the outside. The shellfish was to die for. Compared later to Little Sister, where we waited over an hour for food with little apology, it is clear which establishment will receive a return visit.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/7/2014Incredible every time, and the bread pudding is my favorite desert in townSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love FYDDBHBCAVIPDined on 6/6/2014I've dined here too many times to count since they opened. Loving the new menu items. Looking forward to many dinners here this summer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 162 reviews are from the Fishing With Dynamite reviews archive.
- Excellent SeafoodRahproVIPDined on 5/30/2014Amazing seafood dishes that each one is unique Music was SO loud for tiny place is was crazy and asked to turn down 2 times Each time turned down a littleSpecial Features:
- Gone fishingFoon47Dined on 5/29/2014We made the reservation about 6 weeks before we went, so we were anticipating a great meal. Unfortunately it wasn't to be. My husband ordered the clam chowder which looked like milk with a few clams in so he left the soup. He told the waitress it should have been thicker and she basically agreed. He also had halibut which was tasteless so we had to add plenty of salt and pepper. On the other hand I had a crab cake which was delicious, and then hamachi which was also very good. We each had a small glass of wine and the bill was $85 without tax. I think for an average restaurant the prices are very high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I should have known betterMcBabeDined on 5/21/2014I've been trying to get into FWD for awhile because of the reviews so I booked way in advance for our 20th anniversary. The seating was definitely very tight and it was very loud but the staff was good and friendly. I am not a extreme foodie so I should have known that it would be a little to the gourmet side. One out of the three dishes was a little "odd". It was a rice dish that I am sure would be great on it's own without the raw egg resting on the top. The menu did not say raw egg. It still makes me cringe a little now. Anyway, beware of the raw egg dish. Otherwise, the crab cake and shrimp cocktail were great! Final assessment: very pricey for a small amount of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.