Fishermen's Grotto #9
2847 Taylor Street
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Fishermen's Grotto #9
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fishermensgrotto.com/
- Phone: 4156737025
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Sunday - Saturday: 10:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Fishermen's Grotto #9
Opened in 1935 as the first sit down restaurant on San Francisco's world famous Fisherman's Wharf. Started by Mike Geraldi, an immigrant fisherman from Sicily as an avenue to deliver his fresh catch to the local population. Owned and Operated by The Geraldi Family for over 70 years. Features Inside and Outside Dining, views of the Golden Gate, Russian Hill and the Fishing Fleet.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Fishermen's Grotto #9 - Best Restaurants in Fisherman's Wharf ›
Fishermen's Grotto #9 reviews from OpenTable diners
24 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (18)good for groups (10)special occasion (10)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (9)fit for foodies (7)romantic (7)neighborhood gem (5)great for brunch (3)hot spot (2)notable wine list (2)late-night find (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- UnorganisedDined on 9/10/2014We made reservation with you for a party of 6. We called direct to the restaurant that afternoon increase to 7. Table wasn't ready when we arrive. The lady did not check their reservation book but let us wait while they scrambled to put 2 tables together where there are 2 empty tables next to each other. First at a dead end corner then moved to a better location. Food was OK. I enjoyed my veal and our friends like their shrimp Louie, sole and halibut. We did not order appetizer cause we just had our afternoon tea at Ritz Carlton. We like the view. From dust to dark with city lights. Its beautiful.Special Features:
- Great Experience!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014Our Server and host were very nice and very attentive. Great service and great food.Special Features:
- Fisherman's Grotto # 9 Take 23food4kdbDined on 8/7/2014Large family reunion (most from New York) for a wedding, one year wedding anniversay and my mother's 81st birthday celebration in Santa Cruz. We all drove up to SF and Fisherman's Grotto reserves via Open Table was a breeze. I had reservations for 18 in a snap and the food, ambience and waitstaff were extraordinary!! LOVE LOVE LOVE Fisherman's Grotto!!Special Features:
- A bustbriwayVIPDined on 7/13/2014typically trust open table's ratings but this was a bust. Then again maybe the selection is limited for the area.
- typical tourist trapOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/4/2014Tons of chaos and confusion to get people seated, with or without reservations. No service at the bar and extremely inattentive service for dinner. The food was tasty, if overpriced. The room was noisy. The restrooms were flithy and out of all paper and soap products. The views, however, were fabulous. Overall, there are much better spots nearby so go ahead and skip this tourist trap.Special Features:
- Wife and I flew in just to eat hereBrianDined on 6/27/2014For our 5th anniversary, I surprised my beautiful wife with a quick trip to SF to eat here. We were not disappointed! The staff was great. After talking to a few of the waiters, we were surprised to find out that many of the staff have worked there 30 or 40 years! We recognized some of them from the last time we were there. We are some yummy seafood and enjoyed the views. I'll take my wife back there in another years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent view!eliseVIPDined on 6/23/2014We came here at the recommendation of a local for a spot at fisherman's wharf. The view was amazing, the clam chowder was excellent, and the waiter was fantastic. They had an awesome bar up front that looked like a lounge from the 50's. Very cool!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food - waiterTitoDined on 6/12/2014I don't know which was best, the food that was served to us or the waiter that served (Tito) the food to us. They were both excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- really enjoyHenryDined on 6/2/2014Recommeded by my friend it's a MUST try in SF. The lobster and crab is impressive. The service and view is really good and I'm very satisfied about the service and food. Will recommend to my friend and enjoy next time.Special Features:
- Fish as old as the restaurantHowcrabDined on 5/25/2014Soggy batter and old dry fish made the fish and chips an unpleasant experience. My swordfish was way overcooked. The halibut special was nothing special. We won't be back.
- The following 194 reviews are from the Fishermen's Grotto #9 reviews archive.
- It's 1975 at the GrottoTheDinerVIPDined on 5/15/2014If not for the spectacular view and location this restaurant would surely be gone. The carpet, with the raincoated fisherman is amazing but so old it looks like he could jump up out of it and run. The food is decent if not a bit bloated. If you'd like to go to a place your mom might have gone to on her first date, this is the place. Time for a big update at the Grotto.Special Features:
- Old time SF spot that's kept uplocalbayareaguyDined on 5/11/2014Fishermen's Grotto opened in 1935 as the first sit down restaurant on San Francisco's world famous Fisherman's Wharf. My parents have gone there since the early 60's and still to this day they continue to provide a woderful place to dine. My parents came back to visit on Mother's day and we had a ball! It's may not be the latest greatest hot scene for trendy food, but they provide a great meal with a great view of the wharf, Bay view, and Ghirardelli square. Love going there.Special Features:
- So good!!!DinnerVIPDined on 5/4/2014Great location. Dungeness crab sandwich and the clam chowder are outstanding!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ClosedSondanceDined on 4/10/2014When we went to the restaraunt it was closed. A person near the front saID THERE HAd been a fire upstairs.
- Great Dining ExperienceTheTravelerDined on 4/5/2014Food was great and the service was exceptional! We had a large group and dined upstairs, but you also have the option to dine outside or in the cafe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow ServiceDineTownVIPDined on 3/21/2014our server was way too slow and mixed up the orders.
- Tourist spotsfmmrDined on 2/17/2014Spent President's Day playing Tourists-in-Our-Own-Town. Took four adolescent boys to see the ships, played at Musee Mechanique, and reserved lunch with a great view at Fishermans Grotto. Pricey wharf food but the boys were impressed with the "fancy " service and fabulous view fromour upstairs table. My son wanted crab and was not disappointed. Bib and garlic butter for dipping all contributed to a satisfying respite. My sole was a good lunch deal. Excellent service and great sourdough bread.Special Features:
- If Not for the View...AnzermoVIPDined on 2/16/2014Not the best service, but good food and a stunning view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very OkDuMaxDined on 2/14/2014We had reservations for 8:15 and weren't seated till after 8:30. The food was mediocre and somewhat small portioned. They appeared to be understaffed and service was inattentive and slow. You can definitely do better in that area for the priceSpecial Features:
- EhhhRobinDined on 2/14/2014The front door person got us seated right away. Our waiter was quick to order but we didn't get our food until a hour and a half later. We had to ask to speak with the manager after the waiter took his time. It was busy but every table should be accounted for. I won't be going back cause I felt like our complaint didn't even matter.Special Features:
- Great Night in San FranciscoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/30/2014We really enjoyed Fishermen's Grotto, always good and this evening was excellent. We had Dungeness Crab AuGratin and Sole stuffed with Crab, both delicious, and so was the salad, dessert, and capuccino. We had a table by the water, we arrived at 8 p.m., and it wasn't crowded. The best part was our waiter, Tito, who provided excellent, professional and friendly service, and took a real interest in us and our situation, sharing stories of his own similar experiences (we have a seriously ill family member right now), not pushy or a problem and didn't talk to us on a personal level until we initiated the conversation. Tito has been at the restaurant for 30 years, and I'd highly recommend that you ask for him when you arrive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old style San FranciscoSteveDined on 1/18/2014Classic SF seafood restaurant, good cocktails. We had to ask for a better table, but once seated was a great wrap around view of Fisherman's Wharf, Ghiradelli Square, and the SF Bay. Interior is dated, but OK.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Fisherman's Wharf MustMomoDined on 1/9/2014My wife and I dine here every time we visit to San Fran. This last visit, for our anniversary, with a bunch of friends and family, was no exception. The service is excellent. The wait staff exceeds the expectations of the area. Always very friendly. Food is amazing. We have never had a bad item off of their menu. I would recommend to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is the second time IOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/4/2014This is the second time I have visited this restaurant, and the food is still excellent as well as the service. Worth the money paid to eat there. The restaurant has rustic feel and my personal opinion is the management will eventually need to update restaurant so it is not so dark and to take advantage of their window views.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had reservations for a romanticMsZeeVIPDined on 1/2/2014Had reservations for a romantic dinner, but when i arrived i was told their elevator was broken and of course the main restaurant was upstairs, a lot of stairs! was a little disappointed but they served us in the downstairs dining area which was much more casual. Service and food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just a little bit agedHappyHungerVIPDined on 12/31/2013But the service was spectacular !! The food was very good, as well. Would return and would recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year'swillDined on 12/31/2013My hat is off to the Fishermen's Grotto. They not only catered to families with children (like us), but I noticed they tucked away couples whispering sweet nothings over Boston Creme Pie. The waitstaff is very professional. If you don't see it on the menu, just ask and they prepare it the way you like it. Love this place and will return again and again. Oh did I mention the scenery? Just perfect!. They move tables and chairs to accommodate the GG Bridge or the streets of Fisherman's WharfSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trap on the wharfStacybotVIPDined on 12/30/2013A typical tourist trap. If it looks like it, if it smells like it....it is it. A typical trap for tourists. The food is edible but nothing more. Prices are a bit high but it's an old time stale restaurant with plain in imaginative food. Most items are fried and not of the fresh variety. So many better restaurants in San Francisco. Pass on this one.
- No ParkingBigRedDined on 12/28/2013Unable to find parking within a reasonable distance to locale. Really disappointed, was looking forward to dining here.Perhaps the city could do something to increase parking in this area, or shuttle from a remote location?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas Eve DinnerOTLJDined on 12/24/2013It was busy so, even with reservations, the wait was a bit long. Apparently one of the bartenders didn't show up, so a manager was behind the bar attempting to mix drinks, but he was up-front and said he didn't know what he was doing (we opted for wine), and the service was a bit slow (expected on Christmas Eve), but the food was great, we were sat next to a window, and our server was friendly and informative. We would return, just more likely not on a holiday evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great in S.F.RichVIPDined on 12/24/2013Fisherman's Grotto #9 has always been a favorite of mine. It is getting a little tired in their decor, but for Christmas Eve dining it was very nice. We had reservations but still had to wait almost a half hour to be seated. The waiter was good; the food was even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place, great foodTraveler34Dined on 12/24/2013Had to wait about 15 min for our table although we made a reservation but once seated, the service was great. Friendly wait staff and tasty food. It was also very quiet with a nice view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fisherman's Grotto # 9 Take 22food4kdbDined on 12/22/2013We have dined at Fisherman's Grotto many, many times! Fabulous food and great service - our go to restaurant in SF. A waiter has been serving us for approximately 22 years - thus the Take 22! View of Fisherman's wharf is incredible! LOOOOVVVEEE IT!Special Features:
- Great As UsualOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/14/2013It was wonderful to dine at such a historical place. It is a part of my California history and the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grotto's is a great catch!MegootersDined on 12/7/2013I bring friends and family from out of town to the Wharf often... Decided to try something new for a group of 6 that requested seafood. We are the type of group that shares everything so we all got to try a bit of each dish. Fishermen's Grotto had awesome lobster tail, crab, cod, oysters and steak! I must say... I WAS IMPRESSED. The space is large and great for big groups, but I could see a nice cozy dinner for 2 here too. The service was delightful. Our waiter was lively and on point! I will definitely be visiting again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My aunt used to go to Fisherman’sOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/4/2013My aunt used to go to Fisherman’s Grotto #9 when she was first dating her young man, Uncle Tom. It was not yet a restaurant in those days, but a take-away place that offered clam chowder in a hollowed out sourdough bread-bowl. (Auntie is still with us, in her late 80s/early 90s.) So, when I started dating their nephew, Auntie insisted we go to “their” restaurant. I've never had a bad meal or experience. Their crab cioppino is always wonderful, and the view of the harbor is breath-taking. Maybe the ambience is from Frank Sinatra's era, but that's part of the charm of the place. My husband and I always bring our out-of-town guests here for dinner, and no one's ever been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationShielaDined on 11/22/2013Took my husband here for his birthday. It has been a long time since he was on the Wharf for dinner. This was a great place to celebrate for him. The service was great, the food extremely tasty and the view was perfect. The owner came to the table to greet and have time to talk with you. My husband is such a critic about food, he could compliment everything. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything great but the serviceeat2dayDined on 11/10/2013The server ignored my wife and I while we ate here. Bad experience.Special Features:
- Don't miss this Crab Louie!MimiDined on 11/8/2013Whenever our travels take us through San Francisco, a Crab Louie from Fisherman's Grotto is a must. Crisp greens with an amazing amount of fresh crab and the best Louie dressing is not to be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissapointedBdayboyDined on 10/12/2013Took some out of town friends to this restaurant and I was truly dissapointed, the plates were crowded with stale vegetables, I ordered a salmon with Mango and it was as nothing but ordinary, the mango was too green and the salmon tasteless. My friend ordered a Halibut which came overcooked and again the presentation on the plate was not the greatest. To my surprise the best dish was the fillet mignon that my friend ordered, not steak house quality but decent at least better than the fish. The service was ok, not rude but not very attentive eitherSpecial Features: