217 Ossington Ave
Toronto, ON M6J 2Z7Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://fishbar.ca/
- Phone: (647) 340-0227
- Hours of Operation:
Friday - Sunday: 3:30pm - 5:00pm
Sunday, Tuesday & Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
A word from Fishbar
Fishbar is a sustainable restaurant focusing on using ocean-wise products to ensure the longevity of our oceans, seas and fresh water lakes.Continued
We offer Happy Hour from Friday - Sunday, 3:30pm-5:00pm
Join us for "Whatever" BYOW Wednesdays where you can donate a minimum $2 to the Ocean Wise program and bring in your favourite wine.
We offer Happy Hour from Friday - Sunday, 3:30pm-5:00pm
Join us for "Whatever" BYOW Wednesdays where you can donate a minimum $2 to the Ocean Wise program and bring in your favourite wine.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Fishbar - Best Restaurants in Ossington ›
Fishbar reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (31)neighborhood gem (21)hot spot (15)special occasion (13)good for groups (10)romantic (10)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (3)great for brunch (1)notable wine list (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014Delicious food! But a bit noisy if you go on a Saturday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hook, Line and Sinker, the bestButterflyDined on 10/25/2014Returned after too long a delay, but were in the area and knew we wanted the best fish tapas EVER. Arrived at 8.00pm and the place was hopping. Perused the menu but truthfully we knew what we wanted. Anchovy crostini, fried smelts, salmon tartare, tuna tartare, grilled sardines and a side of the most divine brussels sprouts. As a couple we love to share our choices and Fishbar is the place to do it. Fishbar is clever, they stagger the dishes giving time to enjoy and savour. Everything we ordered was well presented, unbelievably tasty and super fresh. It is a lively restaurant, quite noisy, but neighbours can engage in discussion of the dishes. Service was excellent and all round a most wonderful evening. Long Live fishbar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would go back for sure!yummyinmytummyDined on 10/21/2014Everything was very tasty and there were a lot of good options to choose from. Between the two of us we ordered 5 dishes and had to take part of the last one home so portion sizes are good. The Staff was very attentive and made a point of asking me what kind of flavours I like to drink when I asked them to make me something tasty that had no alcohol in it. Although I didn't get a chance to try the oysters (because I am pregnant), the rest of the fish was very fresh. I would go back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit the spotIwishforFishDined on 10/18/2014Since everything you order you share it's the perfect place to sit back, drink some wine and enjoy a tray of goodies coming out every so often. Such a nice change from eating a big meal all at once and feeling like you can't move after. It had all the right ingredients we were looking for, cool, casual, funky, food, service and wine all terrific and without spending a fortune.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tapas in a fun spot!!JoanieloveschachiVIPDined on 10/10/2014My husband and I went with another couple and had a wonderful night! The food is meant for sharing and they recoomend 2-3 per person if hungry. We ordered 10 and found it was a lot. Loved the tuna and salmon tartare, shrimp and lobster salad was delicious, fried and grilled calamari were also perfectly done. Only dish that was just so so was the lobster Mac and cheese which I found a bit bland and runny. Otherwise it was delicious and have already recommended it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at FishbarSarahFabDined on 9/27/2014Friends had been several times and raved about this restaurant. Our party of 3 ordered a large number of their tapas style dishes. Some were fantastic (diablo shrimp, lobster roll) while others didn't quite live up to the hype and were a bit bland. One member of our group who had been several times felt the quality of the food had changed and wasn't as good when compared to her first few outstanding visits. Overall a decent experience and good food but not sure I would go back over other great reataurants in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing tapas fish dishesEnjoy2dineDined on 9/26/2014If you like fish you shouldn't miss this amazing restaurant. It is casual restaurant with great food. And the service is spectacular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014Tacco was disappointing. Most other food was yummy. Server very knowledgable and gave us good advice. Fast efficient service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- slawaukrainiDined on 9/24/2014The restaurant was not busy the night we dined here, but, since I live around the corner, I know that usually this place is bumping. Loved the $1.35 oysters from P.E.I. I think that this place would be good for a group of friends going out to dine. But, in retrospect, maybe not the most romantic place.Special Features:
- My Night at the FishbarMikeDined on 9/23/2014We wanted to try the Fishbar, as the on-line menu seemed really interesting. Unfortunately what we had didn't meet our expectations. We started with the fish tacos, which were in a hard shell taco (was expecting a soft tortia) that made it messy to eat, and they were tasteless. The fried clams were rubbery and the lobster Mac and Cheese was disappointing. Service was fine, and the atmosphere was great, but the food was nothing special. This restaurant has all the potential to be a great spot. It just needs to take its food up a notch.Special Features:
- Pretty goodJenKDined on 9/21/2014I was looking forward to dining at Fishbar and found the restaurant really cute and the decor beautiful. Ordered mussels, frites, fish tacos and 6 oysters to start. Oysters were lovely and the mussels were nice. Frites were good- of course- and the taco was fair as well. Then ordered the lobster mac and cheese and was totally disappointed!! It was not as flavourful as one would expect. Pretty boring, and I definitely would NOT recommend it. The service was wonderful, as our servers were polite and attentive.
- Great RestaurantLethal57VIPDined on 9/12/2014Wonderful seafood and great atmosphere. Always a wonderful place to have a fabulous dinner!Special Features:
- best octopus I've ever had!OnlythebestDined on 9/6/2014But not worth the other items, prices & service. Had to make several requests for water!Special Features:
- Amazing foodEnjoy2dineDined on 9/5/2014The salmon tartare was my favorite however my friend ordered the maple miso salmon and that was also a pleasant surprise. The tacos were a bit messy but good. And we enjoyed the mussels also. Will definitely recommend to our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top School is Fish Barporty2zukiDined on 9/4/2014Our second visit made good reason to plan a third. The food, staff, interior, and location puts the 'hip' into 'hipster' at this Ossington restaurant. The restaurant has an eclectic range of people who share the same love of good food, ambiance, and service. I recommend the following tapas: lightly fried smelt, home cut fries, fish tacos, beausoleil oysters, grilled kalamari, & octopus. They offer a wide assortment of drinks. Any white wine or margarita will compliment the meal well. We are planning a third visit so we can sample the dessert menu and take another evening stroll through Trinity Bells Wood Park. This place offers a true seafood menu rather than 'comfort food' that is heavily battered and lightly served with selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for Fish LoversmichelinVIPDined on 8/19/2014We have come here often because we like everything about the restaurant.Special Features:
- Somewhat disappointedluvTOdiningDined on 8/13/2014I came here for the first time in June and absolutely loved it. I couldn't wait to go back for a 2nd time and bring my boyfriend & parents w/ me. The food is great, no doubt. What I was really disappointed with was the service. We had a Wednesday 8 pm reservation. It took at least 15 mins for the server to greet us. I understand they may have been overwhelmed. What bothered us was the fact that they began to remove plates that we hadn't even finished yet! This happened 3 times. We had to tell them we were still eating. Another unfortunate thing was that she dropped off the bill without asking. Meanwhile, we still wanted dessert. They had to remove the bill and we ordered our dessert. I had raved about this place and was seriously let down.Special Features:
- A great treat for fish loversGoodfishDined on 8/2/2014I think by far one of the best fish restaurants I have eaten at in Toronto. Great variety and delicious food. I will definitely be back and would highly recommend it to friends.Special Features:
- great seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014Seafood was great and staff made solid recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 194 reviews are from the Fishbar reviews archive.
- Another Ossington WinnerthornhillfoodieDined on 7/26/2014We have had the greatest dining experiences on this little stretch of Ossington. Fishbar is now part of our "Winners" list. We were greeted in a friendly and welcoming manner. Everyone who attended to our table was courteous, knowledgeable & helpful. We had numerous plates which we shared. Favourites included the oysters, Shrimps Diablo, Lobster Roll and the fresh cut fries, just to name a few. Beverage menu had something for everyone from beer to scotch. All three desserts on the menu that night, homemade ice cream, panna cotta & creme brulee were refreshing and a perfect ending to a perfect evening. We will definitely return again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What to choose?eatingzenVIPDined on 7/24/2014The menu offers many temptations. Fried clams, smelts in season, tuna tartar, fried calamari and arugula salad octopus salmon and lobster mac and cheese. We ordered more than we could eat and still saw things we would have liked to have tried. Guess we will have to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- L18mVIPDined on 7/20/2014We enjoyed our first visit very much. The food was great as was the service. The staff was very knowledgeable as were the other patrons. The presentation was unique as well. We will definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- took too long...ecrivain70Dined on 7/11/2014for us to get there. we had talked about it for months, finally made a reservation and really enjoyed the food. Only minor quibble was that the plates were served so quickly that we ended up with half a bottle of wine and no food because we were done already! The tilapia ceviche and tuna tartare were both outstanding, as was the spicy shrimp dish we had. everything was pretty good, really. We would defnitely go again.Special Features:
- Fantastic fresh fish & seafoodBmanVIPDined on 6/29/2014We ended up here because Hopgood's was an oven and had no air. Fishbar was warm too but the ceiling fans made it bearable. What a great discovery! Because it is a small plates place we got to sample many dishes and all were excellent. Lobster Mac was a special treat! The real highlight though was the service - our waitress was amazing, friendly, and made great recos. So glad we discovered Fishbar!
- Where's the fishTorontoDinerVIPDined on 6/20/2014To be greeted and seated took 30+ minutes, even with a reservation. They noted that I hadn't shown up to my reservation as well, probably since this restaurant is unorganized. You would think with a name like "Fish Bar" there might be a chance of a range in fish like Halibut, swordfish. Any fish. Menu consists of small plates that don't give much in terms of substance. Calamari two ways, fried smelts, oysters, clams, mussels, salmon. But unfortunately salmon is really the only filetted fish available. They ran out of mussels and the oysters were shucked so quickly and roughly that we had bits of shell in most bites. Server was pleasant.
- Getting a little bit worseAsianFoodieDined on 6/19/2014We used to go to Fishbar all the time. I think the quality of the food has gone down a little bit. Maybe it was a little too busy, but it was just a little bit off seasoned and bland, which as a foodie is a no-no. I still think it's a great spot, and $1.35 for a Malapaque Oyster is an amazing price ... but it could have been better. Still, it's a great restaurant, and better than most places.Special Features:
- OutstandingWendraDined on 6/19/2014Everything we tried was perfectly prepared. Service was friendly and servers knowledgeable. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/17/2014Each tapas dish is delicately prepared with great attention to detail, flavours blending well together. The service is terrific and wine excellent.Each time I eat here, I wonder why I don't more often. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Foodie Fish FiestaviviVIPDined on 6/15/2014Fishbar has impressed us once again. Our guests were not big on fish but loved the seafood choices. The crab rolls are to die for and we always love the lobster mac & cheese. Everything was delis and the service is greatBe mindful that this is a tapas rest so portions are snacking size but great for sharing and trying lots of dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Seafood and good pricesDaddy2dineDined on 6/14/2014All dishes are served tapas style. Found every dish to celebrate seafood and fell of flavour. Favs included the raw oysters, grilled octopus, fish tacos, and lobster rolls. Also enjoyed the veggie sides of seaweed salad, arugula salad and the Brussels spouts. Nice intimate setting but wouldn't recommend for small children and toddlers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good tapas-style, but fairly priceyhungryDined on 6/3/2014Tapas is usually expensive, but I found their 'meals' to be overpriced. The salmon was a virtual 'steal' at $17, but the $16 mac and cheese was a joke (and nothing remotely special). Service was ok, sort of trying to be fancy though a complete fail in that regard - came off a little pompous. Overall, it was good, but 3 tapas and a drink each came to $80 - more than the restaurant is worth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing ServicegnatrapDined on 5/31/2014I understand that the restaurant business is just that, but we felt rushed to order. The wait staff we had was hovering over our table during most of our meal. The food was generally good, but would have been much more enjoyable had we not have been continually asked if we were ready to order additional tapas.Special Features:
- Delicious food, slow serviceGeekedOutFoodieDined on 5/30/2014First time at Fishbar, and ended up with mixed feelings after leaving. The food was very yummy, but the service was disappointingly slow. My SO and I ordered the Albacore Tuna crudo, Ecuadorian Tilapia Ceviche, Grilled Spicy Diablo Shrimp, Grilled Maple Miso Salmon, Creme Brulee and Lemon Panna cotta. Out of all the dishes, the shrimp and tilapia stood out the most as our favourites. The server did suggest a good wine for us, but as far as actually getting the food, we saw other tables who arrived after us get served before us. Unsure if we will return in the future.Special Features:
- Fab food, great wine and good funwhatsfordinnerDined on 5/23/2014I'm someone who eats fish and some seafood but no meat, so normally going to tapas restaurants is annoying because there are only 2-3 things I can eat on the menu. This place is awesome, the prices are reasonable and the portions are relatively large for a tapas bar. I could eat everything on the menu and everything was absolutely delicious. The fish tacos were unique, fresh, and very good. The tuna tartar was incredible, the grilled calamari was amazing, the only thing we were not huge fans of was the lobster mac and cheese (heavy and the lobster in it was a bit chewy). Even the wine we had was fantastic - it was the most expensive wine on the menu and still only $60. Overall I'd recommend this place to anyone!Special Features:
- Good food, but service needs workhappyeatersVIPDined on 5/18/2014The food was really good but slightly overshadowed by the slow service. Our server was friendly, but seemed to be stretched thin. She mixed up our order and forgot our drinks. To her credit, she did comp us for the mix up. Another server came by to refill water for the table next to us, but totally skipped our table (our empty water glasses were never refilled during our visit). I would go back for the food, but the service could use improvement!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OK - Not GreathardotbealeaffanDined on 5/14/2014I am a foodie, I grew up on seafood living by the ocean and my expectations where high. I have to say it was disappointing. Salmon over cooked, octopus mushy on the outside, tough in the middle, tuna tartar very average. I loved the people, the place, the atmosphere, on the that rainy night. I so wanted to find my go to place in the city for sea food, I cant say I would go back. Sorry....Special Features:
- First visit and I will be backTODinerVIPDined on 5/11/2014Went to Fishbar for Mother's Day and what a great choice it was. Tapas style with attentive and helpful service. Try the fried clams and the fried smelts. Lobster roll was amazing, as was the ceviche. Everything our party of six had was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful & lively place to dineSleepwalkerDined on 5/3/2014We made a reservation the day of and they were able to accommodate us. We were a half hour early and they quickly sat us. Our last guest brought two extra friends unexpectantly, which brought our party of 4 to a party of 6 on a busy Saturday night. No problem...they accommodated us. The food & service was amazing. We can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulSheilaghDined on 5/3/2014The food was great and inventive. It was a wonderful relaxed dining experience and I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very DissappointingMarilynDined on 5/3/2014This have been like my 5th time to fish bar. I was VERY dissappointed this time. Our waitress seem new, or she did not want to be there. Asked her questions aboutthe wine , she said she does not know the answer. Took so long to get the drinks. We ordered about 7 dishes, the only thing that was good was the tacos Gnocchi was like a raw flour dumpling. Crab cake was gross, I felt very dissappointed as I recommended and brought friends with us for dinner Also we were charged for a bottle of wine that we didn't have Had to have the bill corrected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.