217 Ossington Ave
Toronto, ON M6J 2Z7Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://fishbar.ca/
- Phone: 6473400227
- Hours of Operation:
Friday - Sunday: 3:30pm - 5:00pm
Sunday, Tuesday & Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
A word from Fishbar
Fishbar is a sustainable restaurant focusing on using ocean-wise products to ensure the longevity of our oceans, seas and fresh water lakes.Continued
We offer Happy Hour from Friday - Sunday, 3:30pm-5:00pm
Join us for "Whatever" BYOW Wednesdays where you can donate a minimum $2 to the Ocean Wise program and bring in your favourite wine.
We offer Happy Hour from Friday - Sunday, 3:30pm-5:00pm
Join us for "Whatever" BYOW Wednesdays where you can donate a minimum $2 to the Ocean Wise program and bring in your favourite wine.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Fishbar - Best Restaurants in Ossington ›
Fishbar reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (35)fit for foodies (31)hot spot (14)special occasion (13)romantic (8)good for groups (5)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (4)great for lunch (3)notable wine list (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great place for Fish LoversmichelinVIPDined on 8/19/2014We have come here often because we like everything about the restaurant.Special Features:
- Somewhat disappointedluvTOdiningDined on 8/13/2014I came here for the first time in June and absolutely loved it. I couldn't wait to go back for a 2nd time and bring my boyfriend & parents w/ me. The food is great, no doubt. What I was really disappointed with was the service. We had a Wednesday 8 pm reservation. It took at least 15 mins for the server to greet us. I understand they may have been overwhelmed. What bothered us was the fact that they began to remove plates that we hadn't even finished yet! This happened 3 times. We had to tell them we were still eating. Another unfortunate thing was that she dropped off the bill without asking. Meanwhile, we still wanted dessert. They had to remove the bill and we ordered our dessert. I had raved about this place and was seriously let down.Special Features:
- A great treat for fish loversGoodfishDined on 8/2/2014I think by far one of the best fish restaurants I have eaten at in Toronto. Great variety and delicious food. I will definitely be back and would highly recommend it to friends.Special Features:
- great seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014Seafood was great and staff made solid recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Ossington WinnerthornhillfoodieDined on 7/26/2014We have had the greatest dining experiences on this little stretch of Ossington. Fishbar is now part of our "Winners" list. We were greeted in a friendly and welcoming manner. Everyone who attended to our table was courteous, knowledgeable & helpful. We had numerous plates which we shared. Favourites included the oysters, Shrimps Diablo, Lobster Roll and the fresh cut fries, just to name a few. Beverage menu had something for everyone from beer to scotch. All three desserts on the menu that night, homemade ice cream, panna cotta & creme brulee were refreshing and a perfect ending to a perfect evening. We will definitely return again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What to choose?eatingzenVIPDined on 7/24/2014The menu offers many temptations. Fried clams, smelts in season, tuna tartar, fried calamari and arugula salad octopus salmon and lobster mac and cheese. We ordered more than we could eat and still saw things we would have liked to have tried. Guess we will have to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- L18mDined on 7/20/2014We enjoyed our first visit very much. The food was great as was the service. The staff was very knowledgeable as were the other patrons. The presentation was unique as well. We will definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- took too long...ecrivain70Dined on 7/11/2014for us to get there. we had talked about it for months, finally made a reservation and really enjoyed the food. Only minor quibble was that the plates were served so quickly that we ended up with half a bottle of wine and no food because we were done already! The tilapia ceviche and tuna tartare were both outstanding, as was the spicy shrimp dish we had. everything was pretty good, really. We would defnitely go again.Special Features:
- Fantastic fresh fish & seafoodBmanVIPDined on 6/29/2014We ended up here because Hopgood's was an oven and had no air. Fishbar was warm too but the ceiling fans made it bearable. What a great discovery! Because it is a small plates place we got to sample many dishes and all were excellent. Lobster Mac was a special treat! The real highlight though was the service - our waitress was amazing, friendly, and made great recos. So glad we discovered Fishbar!
- Where's the fishTorontoDinerDined on 6/20/2014To be greeted and seated took 30+ minutes, even with a reservation. They noted that I hadn't shown up to my reservation as well, probably since this restaurant is unorganized. You would think with a name like "Fish Bar" there might be a chance of a range in fish like Halibut, swordfish. Any fish. Menu consists of small plates that don't give much in terms of substance. Calamari two ways, fried smelts, oysters, clams, mussels, salmon. But unfortunately salmon is really the only filetted fish available. They ran out of mussels and the oysters were shucked so quickly and roughly that we had bits of shell in most bites. Server was pleasant.
- Getting a little bit worseAsianFoodieDined on 6/19/2014We used to go to Fishbar all the time. I think the quality of the food has gone down a little bit. Maybe it was a little too busy, but it was just a little bit off seasoned and bland, which as a foodie is a no-no. I still think it's a great spot, and $1.35 for a Malapaque Oyster is an amazing price ... but it could have been better. Still, it's a great restaurant, and better than most places.Special Features:
- OutstandingWendraDined on 6/19/2014Everything we tried was perfectly prepared. Service was friendly and servers knowledgeable. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/17/2014Each tapas dish is delicately prepared with great attention to detail, flavours blending well together. The service is terrific and wine excellent.Each time I eat here, I wonder why I don't more often. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Foodie Fish FiestaviviVIPDined on 6/15/2014Fishbar has impressed us once again. Our guests were not big on fish but loved the seafood choices. The crab rolls are to die for and we always love the lobster mac & cheese. Everything was delis and the service is greatBe mindful that this is a tapas rest so portions are snacking size but great for sharing and trying lots of dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Seafood and good pricesDaddy2dineDined on 6/14/2014All dishes are served tapas style. Found every dish to celebrate seafood and fell of flavour. Favs included the raw oysters, grilled octopus, fish tacos, and lobster rolls. Also enjoyed the veggie sides of seaweed salad, arugula salad and the Brussels spouts. Nice intimate setting but wouldn't recommend for small children and toddlers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good tapas-style, but fairly priceyhungryDined on 6/3/2014Tapas is usually expensive, but I found their 'meals' to be overpriced. The salmon was a virtual 'steal' at $17, but the $16 mac and cheese was a joke (and nothing remotely special). Service was ok, sort of trying to be fancy though a complete fail in that regard - came off a little pompous. Overall, it was good, but 3 tapas and a drink each came to $80 - more than the restaurant is worth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing ServicegnatrapDined on 5/31/2014I understand that the restaurant business is just that, but we felt rushed to order. The wait staff we had was hovering over our table during most of our meal. The food was generally good, but would have been much more enjoyable had we not have been continually asked if we were ready to order additional tapas.Special Features:
- Delicious food, slow serviceGeekedOutFoodieDined on 5/30/2014First time at Fishbar, and ended up with mixed feelings after leaving. The food was very yummy, but the service was disappointingly slow. My SO and I ordered the Albacore Tuna crudo, Ecuadorian Tilapia Ceviche, Grilled Spicy Diablo Shrimp, Grilled Maple Miso Salmon, Creme Brulee and Lemon Panna cotta. Out of all the dishes, the shrimp and tilapia stood out the most as our favourites. The server did suggest a good wine for us, but as far as actually getting the food, we saw other tables who arrived after us get served before us. Unsure if we will return in the future.Special Features:
- Fab food, great wine and good funwhatsfordinnerDined on 5/23/2014I'm someone who eats fish and some seafood but no meat, so normally going to tapas restaurants is annoying because there are only 2-3 things I can eat on the menu. This place is awesome, the prices are reasonable and the portions are relatively large for a tapas bar. I could eat everything on the menu and everything was absolutely delicious. The fish tacos were unique, fresh, and very good. The tuna tartar was incredible, the grilled calamari was amazing, the only thing we were not huge fans of was the lobster mac and cheese (heavy and the lobster in it was a bit chewy). Even the wine we had was fantastic - it was the most expensive wine on the menu and still only $60. Overall I'd recommend this place to anyone!Special Features:
- Good food, but service needs workhappyeatersDined on 5/18/2014The food was really good but slightly overshadowed by the slow service. Our server was friendly, but seemed to be stretched thin. She mixed up our order and forgot our drinks. To her credit, she did comp us for the mix up. Another server came by to refill water for the table next to us, but totally skipped our table (our empty water glasses were never refilled during our visit). I would go back for the food, but the service could use improvement!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OK - Not GreathardotbealeaffanDined on 5/14/2014I am a foodie, I grew up on seafood living by the ocean and my expectations where high. I have to say it was disappointing. Salmon over cooked, octopus mushy on the outside, tough in the middle, tuna tartar very average. I loved the people, the place, the atmosphere, on the that rainy night. I so wanted to find my go to place in the city for sea food, I cant say I would go back. Sorry....Special Features:
- First visit and I will be backTODinerVIPDined on 5/11/2014Went to Fishbar for Mother's Day and what a great choice it was. Tapas style with attentive and helpful service. Try the fried clams and the fried smelts. Lobster roll was amazing, as was the ceviche. Everything our party of six had was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful & lively place to dineSleepwalkerDined on 5/3/2014We made a reservation the day of and they were able to accommodate us. We were a half hour early and they quickly sat us. Our last guest brought two extra friends unexpectantly, which brought our party of 4 to a party of 6 on a busy Saturday night. No problem...they accommodated us. The food & service was amazing. We can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulSheilaghDined on 5/3/2014The food was great and inventive. It was a wonderful relaxed dining experience and I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very DissappointingMarilynDined on 5/3/2014This have been like my 5th time to fish bar. I was VERY dissappointed this time. Our waitress seem new, or she did not want to be there. Asked her questions aboutthe wine , she said she does not know the answer. Took so long to get the drinks. We ordered about 7 dishes, the only thing that was good was the tacos Gnocchi was like a raw flour dumpling. Crab cake was gross, I felt very dissappointed as I recommended and brought friends with us for dinner Also we were charged for a bottle of wine that we didn't have Had to have the bill corrected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 173 reviews are from the Fishbar reviews archive.
- Food disappointingNellieDined on 4/26/2014I've dined at the Fishbar before and so expectations were high. we ordered several tapas, the grilled octopus was over cooked and chewy and the crab cakes tasted more like corn cakes, and I kept looking for the crab meat and couldn't find any. Those were some expensive corn cakes...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great oysters... butBobbyDined on 4/24/2014I loved the raw oysters but was extremely disappointed with the Oyster Rockefeller at twice the price. They were the size of a quarter, what a joke. I don't need to explain I'm sure. The grilled sardines were excellent but the Spanish octopus was really dry (my second time trying, fail). The Danforth does it proper. Fried clams was not what I expected. Supposed to be fried strips of fresh clams not fried canned or frozen clams as what it tasted like (not good). Talapia for ceviche??? WOW!!! Is that even edible? No!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FishbarDinerDined on 4/23/2014The wine list was short, but the wines were well chosen. The room was beautiful.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/18/2014Very expensive & tapas tiny & not that great, calamari was over battered, like chewy onion rings.
- It's Ok!MichDined on 4/11/2014We went to FishBar on a late Friday night and unfortunately we were not impressed with any of the oysters we had ordered. We order the Rockefeller and about 6 Nova Scotia Oysters. Pretty much the majority of the Oysters had large pieces of the oyster shells in them. We actually could not eat the remaining 2 oysters as they all had such large pieces of broken shell in them...When the manager asked us why we were finishing the last 2 oysters. I had told him that the majority of the oysters had shells broken into them making it not as enjoyable to eat them, He apologised about it..for a Friday night this place closes early. Staff was already folding napkins and locking the door at 11:00pm. I would give this place another try, not anytime soon.Special Features:
- Lovely find for fish loversNewfishfanDined on 4/9/2014Fishbar's portions are not big but the food is delicious and the service attentive. The portions are designed to be shared and that you have a whole selection of them. If you are not a fish fan there is not much of any alternatives on the menu but if you are then go for it. Lovely way to give my girl a great birthday dinner as she is a fish fan.Special Features:
- I wouldn't return.....oysterloverDined on 3/22/2014The food was 7 out of 10. I was very surprised that several of our raw oysters came with long, sharp chards of shell underneath the oysters. I almost swallowed one. If that happened I would have ended up in emergency. They were so sharp they could have cut through the esophagus or stomach. Our waitress brought out 2 more oysters on the house. Wouldn't you know one of those also had a large, sharp chard underneath the oyster. I eat oysters regularly & have never had this kind of experience. Until they find someone who can properly shuck, I would never order them there again nor would recommend them to patrons. The waitress then brought us a dessert on the house. Afterwards I realized they had charged us for it on our bill..how insulting!
- RushedPorchDined on 3/21/20144 plates were chosen and all arrived at same time disallowing the "sharing" approach promoted on the web page. We felt rushed to move us along and free up the table. Food was OK
- We ordered four small platesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/21/2014We ordered four small plates for two diners: seaweed salad, Nori-salted fries, grilled Spanish octopus and grilled calamari. The first three were, in a word, delicious. I'd order any or all of them on a second visit. The last, alas, was something of a disappointment ... a little gummy/slimy, not grilled long enough, etc. Not enough to spoil the meal, but enough to temper an otherwise wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot Spot in Lower OssingtonviviVIPDined on 3/14/2014Fishbar is long and narrow so there's not much space for standing or walking past servers and other patrons and the seating is mainly one long table, family style with splits between. I enjoyed the arugula salad. Oysters were presented beautifully although sauces were not as tasty as preferred. I looked at the menu before reserving and saw good menu items but not extensive, and prices looked very reasonable, however it was deceiving. They were correct, but… the mains are more of a tapas meant to be shared by 2, so we each ordered 2 mains plus an extra order of fries. With one bottle of Malbec at $44, 2 manhattans $11ea and 2 yummy panna cotta's our bill came to $249 plus tip. Our server was perfect, thanks.Special Features:
- Great food, knowledgeableGarrettLevineDined on 3/2/2014Great food, knowledgeable service, and relaxed atmosphere made a lovely dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing to call home aboutLindsayRDined on 2/28/2014The food was tasty enough, but the menu was unadventurous. Service was a bit slow, but friendly. One of the few place on Ossington that takes reservations though, to that's a plus.
- Very SlowfishVIPDined on 2/23/2014Loved the family-style, tapas, menu and our waiter was nice. but dishes took forever to come out and with really large waiting times between each dish arriving. When the food finally did arrive it tasted pretty good, but some of the portions were ridiculously small (6 mussels in an order).
- Great as alwaysDerekDined on 2/22/2014This is about the 4th time I've been to this restaurant, and it was great as always. Love the sharing menu, and the seafood is perfectly prepared. Only complaints are that I wish they'd alter up the menu a little more (I think I have literally tried everything on it) and to slow down the arrival of the food - hard to balance four plates on those tables! Wouldn't hesitate to recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood and atmosphereanonymousDined on 2/18/2014An outstanding experience. Friendly service, great seafood. We will return each time we are in Toronto.I would recommend this to a friend.