222 W. 79th Street
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fishtagrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (212) 362-7470
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, International
- Executive Chef: Michael Psilakis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: FishTag is open to discuss catering for on premise or off premises events.
A word from Fish Tag
FishTag restaurant is an Upper West Side seafood driven tavern by Chef Michael Psilakis. While the cuisine is easy to enjoy on its own, the menu is designed to pair intelligently with a variety of beers & wines to enhance one's dining experience. With an extensive wine by the glass and craft beer program, FishTag proves to be an ideal restaurant for family dining, counter seating, date type outings, or just a place to kick back with a unique beverage.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Fish Tag reviews from OpenTable diners
139 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (95)neighborhood gem (83)notable wine list (45)romantic (23)special occasion (19)good for groups (17)great for brunch (14)late-night find (13)great for lunch (9)hot spot (8)kid-friendly (7)vibrant bar scene (7)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Inventive menu, flawless executionCriticalDinerVIPDined on 11/25/2014Small plates, large plates, fish, fowl, meat, vegetarian -- something for everyone, and all excellent.Special Features:
- Perfect Brunch!MyraAOVIPDined on 11/23/2014I took myself to brunch and was so glad I did! The service was perfect, the food fabulous, and the cost just up my alley. I went because I was going to be in the neighborhood. I'd go again, even to go out of my way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent findImpulsiveVIPDined on 11/22/2014We celebrated my wife's birthday after theater. Food was excellent, as was service and menus. We will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, not great servicenyc16Dined on 11/14/2014The food, as always, was phenomenal. The service left something to be desired. It was a busy night so I'm not completely unsympathetic, but it took forever for the waitress to take our drink order, then our food order was taken separately and we still got our appetizers before our drinks (which were 2 beers and bottle of rose, not even any cocktails). She didn't write anything down which seemed impressive at first, until a few of our dessert/nightcap items were wrong. The waitress was very sweet, not rude in the slightest, we just felt a bit ignored on a night when it was busy but not packed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice changeHomechefVIPDined on 11/13/2014Interesting twist and combination of flavors and ingredients--Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bestoneastend1VIPDined on 11/10/2014The room and bar are delightful and quiet. Service is very good. And most of all the food is wonderful especially the appetizers!Special Features:
- great as alwaysHcl10VIPDined on 11/7/2014We are repeat customers and always enjoy Fish Tag! I recommend ordering something you normally wouldn't and be prepared to love it. We went for the special Ommegang beer and food pairing dinner, $65 per person got you 4 courses (2 apps, 1 entree, 1 dessert) with 4 beer pairings (!!). Normally I have fish/shellfish dishes and wine at Fish Tag but for this meal we mostly opted for meat dishes and had them with beer, totally different! Still great.I would recommend this to a friend.
- joyfortasteVIPDined on 11/1/2014very good restaurant, we were a party of 7 and we had a great table, the only complain I have is that the waiter would take too long to come to our table, but they were patient since part of our group was 15 mins late!Special Features:
- Sophisticated menuLBMathDined on 11/1/2014The food was good, but only if you're looking for sophisticated dishes, or a "foodie" type menu. It was a bit to much for us. Nothing on the menu was recognizable or familiar.Special Features:
- Good findGinaVIPDined on 11/1/2014Very friendly, knowledgeable waitstaff which made dining experience pleasant. Try the octopus.. it's amazing! A variety of seafood dishes from light to heavy are offered with good portion size and affordable. The decor had some french, white wall influence with scandinavian-like simple tables, and interesting light colored wood throughout restaurant. The only downside was the hard chair seating.Special Features:
- good findyonenaDined on 11/1/2014Sort of family reunion and we were able to sit and visit without being interrupted. Great brunch choices and excellent service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/26/2014Although food was very tasty, our water glasses never got filled if we didn't ask, it took multiple requests to get bread, and the ambiance is fair. I won't go back. There are too many other nearby places to dine with very good food and good service.
- cfs24Dined on 10/25/2014Great vibe. Relaxed but dynamic with excellent food and convivial atmosphere.Special Features:
- Good seafood reasonably pricedOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 10/25/2014This is the second time my wife and I have dined at Fish Tag, and both time we found the food consistently good. We especially like sharing several of the small plates, which permits two people to sample more dishes. The octopus is outstanding (although a slightly larger portion would be appreciated). The wine list is good, and portions come in four different sizes (which, again, facilitates sampling more than one kind). We'll go back to this restaurant again!Special Features:
- A little disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Was really excited to try this place because I've admired Michael Psilakis on Food Network. We were disappointed with the service (not warm, not engaging) and the food was good but not great. It was my friend's 50th birthday and, aside from a "congratulations," no special treatment or recognition. Meh.Special Features:
- It was a very good eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/24/2014The menu is unique and everything very fresh and beautifully presented. I really like the way beer and wine are matched to the menu items! The ambiance is OK - it is a small place and it was a bit noisy. The service was on and off - at first it was excellent but then our server disappeared for a bit. They were very accomodating when two of our smoked fish selections were not available on our shared platter by allowing us to add some of the charcuterie items as well. It was a fun way to try several things around the table and it was filling. We ended up getting appetizers instead of entrees after that. Excellent cocktails to start and very good selection of wine by glass and microbrews too. I would recommend Fish Tag to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/24/2014I have always loved Fish Tag, but recently, the food has been deteriorating. In fact, we had to send our entree back because it was inedible. It appears that we aren't the only ones to notice this as the room was practically empty compared to the restaurant next door that was packed.
- Enjoy Fish and other delicaciesCountessVIPDined on 10/22/2014Wonderful and very nice staff! Enjoyed would highly recommend!Special Features:
- Good food, limited menuRt10024Dined on 10/19/2014Food was very good in terms of the quality of ingredients and innovative combinations. However, The Sunday brunch/ lunch menu was la bit limited for those who did not want brunch-type food. This is not the case at dinner where there is more variety.Special Features:
- top notchSUWSVIPDined on 10/10/2014Been to Fish Tag 4 times in last 9 months and the food and service has always been top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite near the Beacon!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/8/2014We have been coming for years and love the food, though the menu could use some updating. Weird bar configuration detracts a little from ambience but it's always a pleas place to sit and have a very good meal. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great spot!tnnycDined on 10/4/2014We have dined at Fish Tag a handful of times, and each time it has been a lovely evening with great food! This is definitely our go-to spot.Special Features:
- Very Good, But not ExcellentJeffCDined on 10/3/2014Oysters and smoked octopus were excellent. My Stripped Bass entree had a bad tasting burnt oil flavor to it that marred the dish for me. The real issue for me is that this restaurant is EXTREMELY noisy. My date and I were shouting at each other the entire evening.
- DisappointedCyreneDined on 10/3/2014Have dined here many times but was very disappointed with the quality of the food this time. This restaurant is declining and I probably won't eat here again.
- So good!TonyaVIPDined on 10/2/2014We love this place but hadn't been there in a while. The food is consistently very good, the staff are warm and personable - we love this place and need to go more often!Special Features:
- Good Food awful serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/1/2014It's unfortunate, as the food is delicious yet the service is awful! Due to service I won't come back anytime soon, or recommend to my friends.
- Amazing!Love2eatinNYCVIPDined on 10/1/2014One of the best meals I have ever had! Fish specials were out of this world! Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice find on the UWSThegoodlifeDined on 9/25/2014Made last minute reservations last night and had a very good small plate meal. Excellent wine list and we liked the fact that you could buy a half glass, a whole class, a half bottle and a whole bottle. Nice choices for both of us because they offered small plates and regular plates as well as very special cheese and meat choices. The prices were what you would expect in NYC - $$ and the service was attentive and welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PD11Dined on 9/23/2014Food was first-rate and service was attentive and careful.Special Features:
- First TimerLiamVIPDined on 9/21/2014First time here and loved it. However, the lobster bucatini was nothing special and wasn't worth the $26.00. As for the appetizers, the "manhattan clam chowder" was amazing and the scallop ceviche was refreshing. Service was well-timed and friendly, wines were affordable. Despite the lobster bucatini, I definitely would return to try more dishes. The staffs exuded professionalism and was very honest when it came to what was best to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very creative seafood menuuegdswVIPDined on 9/21/2014I love Fish Tag. The menu is creative and delicious. All the trimmings and additions on each dish go with the items. Everything is tasty. This place is not about phony and tasteless innovation. It has great substance. This is the real deal. How about kale and trout salad! So unique and so wonderful. And smoked octopus, Greek spoon salad. Wow. Also, the wines and mixed drinks are always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/18/2014Fun & interesting food. Very creative! Great selection on the wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- doesn't workSjepDined on 9/16/2014trying to be clever, or something, the menu is just weird and hard to navigate. The food is uneven. a few delicious dishes, but mostly bland, unsuccessful duds. everything, especially the wine list, is overpriced. Our waitress was remarkably friendly and helpful, the only really nice part of the evening.
- Delicious as always!MichelleVIPDined on 9/16/2014Try the bulger salad and trout/kale salads so tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food, terrific servicecwm21Dined on 9/16/2014The smoked fish plate is a must, wine list is reasonably priced by Manhattan standards, service was spot on.Special Features:
- YumSeekerDined on 9/13/2014Our favorite place to dine before concerts at the BeaconSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oh yeahEasygoerDined on 9/11/2014Smoked eggplant bruschetta, smoked octopus appetizers, striped bass, Bronzino, all done to perfection. Asked for wine pairing recommendations in flavor ranges: delivered. Our wait staff was knowledgable about the food and wine. Definitely a return visit in order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent pairingsAychArrGuyVIPDined on 9/6/2014We had a wonderful dinner at Fish Tag this past weekend. The venue is great, the vibe is positive and the service is really top-notch. The menu was very interesting and I loved the intelligent way it was designed. Dishes are color-coded (red for appetizers, black for entrees) and the menu progresses from lighter items at the top to heavier, more flavorful items towards the bottom. In the side margins you find recommended drink pairings that correspond to categories of wines & beers on the other side of the menu. Clearly, a lot of thought and care went into the design and structure of this menu - both on paper and in the kitchen - and it really worked for me. Very impressive and very delicious!Special Features:
- Great brunch!bcd818VIPDined on 9/6/2014Really enjoyed dinner here, so decided to check out the brunch. It was wonderful! We had the deluxe brunch, which included the salmon platter. Delicious, even the bread was great. The brunch drinks are outstanding- I loved the marytini on the bloody mary menu. I had the moroccan eggs as my main- totally delicious. This restaurant is a fantastic addition to the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Great restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014Food was delicious and interesting. Nice, cozy atmosphere.Special Features: