222 W. 79th Street
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fishtagrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2123627470
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, International
- Executive Chef: Michael Psilakis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: FishTag is open to discuss catering for on premise or off premises events.
A word from Fish Tag
FishTag restaurant is an Upper West Side seafood driven tavern by Chef Michael Psilakis. While the cuisine is easy to enjoy on its own, the menu is designed to pair intelligently with a variety of beers & wines to enhance one's dining experience. With an extensive wine by the glass and craft beer program, FishTag proves to be an ideal restaurant for family dining, counter seating, date type outings, or just a place to kick back with a unique beverage.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Fish Tag reviews from OpenTable diners
161 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (101)neighborhood gem (99)notable wine list (47)special occasion (31)romantic (29)good for groups (27)great for brunch (19)vibrant bar scene (15)late-night find (13)kid-friendly (11)hot spot (7)great for lunch (7)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Great restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014Food was delicious and interesting. Nice, cozy atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great fresh food / customer serviceAlanKVIPDined on 8/29/2014The food was on point, very fresh....you cannot go wrong. The menu is set up so you can pair the food with beverages which is very cool. Meghan worked with us and comes HIGHLY recommended! She was extremely professional and everything she had suggested paired nicely. Kudos and thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Looking for Dining ValuecarecaVIPDined on 8/29/2014Hipster style, but food was way too expensive, vs. the quality.
- Delicious!bcd818Dined on 8/28/2014Had a wonderful meal with friends. The staff were very attentive and helpful- everything they recommended was delicious! The octopus was perfect, the trout and kale salad, the mussels- we didn't have a disappointing bite.Special Features:
- Margaret-AnnOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/27/2014Outside is dull but inside is charming! Food is outstanding! Wine expensive for what they serve.Special Features:
- Amazing foodfoodophileVIPDined on 8/25/2014The food is incredible, prices reasonable and service friendlySpecial Features:
- Very goodfamilyVIPDined on 8/25/2014Interesting room and decor. Innovative menu, knowledgeable and staff and wonderfully prepared fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Late Dinner!TravelingCAGirlVIPDined on 8/22/2014This was just around the corner from our hotel and had good reviews, so given the hour (8:30pm) we thought it was worth a try. Very glad we decided to dine here. Staff from welcome to bar to busboys were welcoming and prompt. We took staff advice and tried the kale & smoked trout salad as an appetizer -- it was amazing. Had salmon & roast chicken for the entrees. Skin on the salmon was beautifully crisped and fish was well done (as requested). The orange-thyme sauce on the chicken saved it from being a bit dry; roast potatoes were perfect. Sadly, there was no space left to try the signture sundae, though we did see one in passing and it looked great (and huge). Oh, and they have an amazing drink list, too!Special Features:
- DEEEELICIOUS!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/19/2014Fish Tag was a recommendation by a friend and it was just as she said "YUMMY"! The waiter/host was so knowledgable about the menu and made great suggestions. I highly recommend Fish Tag!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty and hits the spotfood4everVIPDined on 8/13/2014Notable eats in the UWS. Food is well-prepared, attractively served, and the wine pairings are delicious and generously poured. Good value and a nice night out....could only be improved by lower noise volume.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UWS GemHungryKittyDined on 8/11/2014Fish Tag is Another M.P. Shining Star The Food and Pairings are Impeccably put together. The Service is both Friendly and Competent. Definitely going back again and again !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious.Cather123VIPDined on 8/9/2014The appetizers and entrees here are great, different fresh and delicious. Just look out for staggering prices on wine and dessert. Although they were tasty, a glass of sancerre for $18 and an ice cream sundae for $14 were just ridiculous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014I had moderate expectations coming in but was pleasantly surprised. The wine list is very diverse and the suggested pairings are helpful as well. The portion sizes are good and will fill you up. Try the trout.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealpmcbDined on 8/8/2014Wonderful flavors, really good service. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- A lovely meal!UWSSansKidsVIPDined on 8/5/2014We had expert care and wonderful food for an early evening meal last week. Our only recommendation: put some plant life outside the front lowered stoop; it's a busy block and it was not easy to find you, and when we did, the outside of the restaurant didn't look anywhere near as nice as the inside. Thanks for a wonderful meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekKW84Dined on 8/3/2014Although we made a reservation due to Restaurant Week, it didn't seem necessary, as there were only, maybe, three other groups dining with us for our 6:45 dinner. The food was excellent and the waiter was knowledgable. I will say that it was slightly disappointing that a bottle of white, that wasn't even as good as some $20 bottles I've had, was $38, the same price as the entire, three course dinner with the deal. Perhaps it's to make up for the Restaurant Week deal. Other than that, it was a pleasant experience and a decent amount of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!BonappetitVIPDined on 8/1/2014What a fabulous evening. We asked our wonderful server, Megan, to choose appetizers for us. She presented us with six eclectic choices that all complemented one another; we couldn't have been more pleased. The entire staff was terrific. Thank you, thank you! We will return soon. A+++ :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, bad spaceebmudderDined on 7/31/2014Food and service were very good, but the ceilings are low and a/c registers close to the tables, making for uncomfortable drafts and noise. For a small room (10-12 tables), the hard surfaces and low ceiling made for an unpleasantly loud experience. Lamb chops and mussels were excellent, swordfish w/greek sausage was lacking in flavor. Interesting menu lists food from light to heavy flavors, but mixing appetizers and main courses in one list is confusing. An email sent 24 hrs in advance to the "info" address on the website went unanswered.Special Features:
- Be careful what you orderBeKeDined on 7/30/2014Some small plates are very small, some large plates are not that large. Some items are lovely, others, not so much. The pairings suggested seem right on and the way the menu is organized is refreshing. Coffee is way over priced; gotta make a profit, but give me a break $4.50.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mommad4everDined on 7/29/2014The resturant week menu was amazing! We had salmon,trout, lamb chops. All of our meals were amazing. Can t wait to return. DiSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/29/2014Really enjoyed the selections. Service was lovely. Very attentive.Special Features:
- DisappointmentSashaDined on 7/28/20141 star for variety of seafood, 1 star - creativity Space. Its ok that it's kind of a basement, but it is not ok that paint is chipping off the walls, and I don't mean little spots. Where we were sitting the "hole" was a size of my head. Not enough light, small and dim, I cant read the menu, and I am under 30 and have no probs with my vision. Definitely doesn't worse do go for a restaurant week, as you are not getting a deal and many highlights from their selection are not included there. We ordered from regular menu, and entry portions were small and nothing outstanding. Appetizers - good size, but weird combo: scallops, grapes, grapefruit, some greens..Octopus and pumpkin puree? Service: server was good, host attitude + I am annoyed vibe.
- restaurant weekyayaDined on 7/27/2014came here with 5 other friends for restaurant week. service is very good, ambience very good. For the food, appetizers not bad, but me and my friend ordered two medium steaks somehow came out as well done, thats so bad! one of my friend ordered a lamb chop, that was amazing good. overall is a good restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall, great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014We took my aunt, who was visiting from out of town during restaurant week. Our first two courses were absolutely delicious. My aunt and I come from a long line of foodies, and we both enjoyed our dishes. The only complaint we both had was the dessert. Lime tart with fresh strawberries sounded great! I expected a crispy, flaky, delicious tart shell and got something kind of resembled a mediocre prefab pie from a not so great grocery store. Palatable, but not by any means to die for. If it hadn't been for that, I would be all in with the 5 stars. All in all, it was a really great meal, and I don't often order dessert anyway, so I'd definitely go back.Special Features:
- Not impressedSameeDined on 7/24/2014I would have to say I most likely will not go back. I had the stripped bass which was very bland and the prawn bruschetta as a appetizer. There were very few prawns in the appetizer although it was flavorful. My husband had a Greek salad which was ok plus the salmon which also was lacking flavor. We had to request salt and pepper for both courses. Service was ok not very attentive. It was a Thursday evening during restaurant week. Several empty tables. We did not order off of restaurant week menu.
- Healthy and DeliciousaustinfoodieDined on 7/22/2014The food was delicious and very healthy. Impressive and exciting charcuterie menu (including many smoked fishes).Special Features:
- Varied level of goodnessJaneoDined on 7/22/2014The bruschetta was superb and the scallops excellent. Corn sop did not deliver, it sounded better than it tasted. The lamb chops and trout were very tasty and the salmon was nothing special although the salsa on the side was really good.Special Features:
- Dined During NYC Restaurant WeekmllrahDined on 7/22/2014Enjoyed spectacular Chilled Corn Chowder and Bulgar Salad for appetizers, followed by delicious Trout and Salmon entrees. Lemon tart dessert was disappointing but the other aspects of the whole dining experience made up for the lackluster dessert. Outstanding beer and wine menu as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SERIOUS ABOUT FISHPescatoraDined on 7/21/2014FishTag offers an inventive modern menu of excellent fish and seafood; a great choice of cheeses, antipasti, and salads; and a good wine list, although stronger on whites (I'm a red drinker, even with fish. They could add some Bordeaux.) The waitperson patiently let us try two or three wines before we chose our bottle. Preparation is light-handed and healthy, so the flavor of the fish is undisguised. Portions are, in the words of Goldilocks, "just right," not too big, not too small, though dainty eaters could share an entree. It's a little noisy--a lot of percussive surfaces--but no annoying music. I would go back, and I have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/21/2014Well cooked fish dishes and a great smoked octopus. The small bites during happy hour are a perfect palate teaser.I would recommend this to a friend.
- fijiVIPDined on 7/20/2014The previous time we were at Fish Tag (easily a year ago, probably more) we really enjoyed everything. Last night, we both had the octopus starter, which was good-sized and tasty. But our entrees disappointed, mine especially. The sea bass portion was large, as was the rapini. But the latter was TOO large (and REALLY bitter) and the tomato confit (presumably an attempt to balance the bitterness) was almost non-existent in comparison. Andrew like his swordfish/sausage entree much better (he at least ate everything, while I left a good bit of both fish and especially rapini). Sorry to say this, but we won't be back. Little occasion to be here anyway, especially now that the Mannes School is closing on 85th.
- Wonderful FoodDelishDined on 7/18/2014Great find on the Upper West Side. Delicious food and cocktails. We need more restaurants like this in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SJR1VIPDined on 7/17/2014First time here and was pleasantly surprised by the interesting menu with Cheese and Charcuterie selections plus a great beer selection. The menu shows suggested pairings of wine/beer depending on the meal you've selected. We kept it simple with the Roasted Salmon and Grilled Branzino stuffed w/Head Cheese. The portion size on the Branzino was a bit on the small side and it is supposed to come with Brussels Sprouts but basically it came with I'd say 2 Brussels Sprouts sliced up into about 10 pieces. Both were cooked properly to our request but I'd pick something other than the Branzino next time. There was some redemption on the dessert...the Sundae is huge and tasty. Great service, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay not greatTneckMOMVIPDined on 7/17/2014My friend and I had a very nice meal here, but when the dessert is the highlight, that doesn't bode well for a return visit. I was unimpressed with the Greek salad, much too full of peppers and very little feta cheese. My friend did enjoy his salmon, but my shrimp were too spicy and the portion was too small for the price. We also had to ask for bread. However, the coconut custard dessert was outstanding and the ambiance is lovely.Special Features:
- Robert TRobertDined on 7/16/2014Nice local place with good, interesting food. Love the roast chicken!Special Features:
- Second time we ate heredrjec20002Dined on 7/5/2014I ate here 2 weeks in a row. The waitress is delightful and very accommodating. I recommended the kale/trout salad to my friend who loved it. This week my Sea Bass did not come out as hot as last week, which was disappointing. My wife had swordfish. The cut of fish was wonderful but, although ordered medium came out undercooked. We probably would not have had a problem with sending things back but didn't feel like getting into it. Nevertheless, I would certainly give this restaurant another try. We did have to ask for the music to be turned down, which was done without any issue.Special Features:
- AmazingSusieQDined on 7/1/2014Food was delicious. The two recommendations we got from the staff (kale salad with smoked trout and smoked octopus) were fantastic. I also liked the menu setup and how their were wine/drink pairing suggestions for each item and that you could order anything from 1/2 glass to a bottle of wine. Can't wait to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/30/2014Loved this restaurant - every dish was just delicious, and our waiter was totally fun and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Octopus I have had in yearsBelindaFVIPDined on 6/29/2014We went to Fish Tag expecting excellent fish and were not disappointed. We were a party of five and so among us we tried nearly every entree and all were very good, but the grilled octopus starter was absolutely fantastic. Better than the same at the most high end restaurants in the City. We will definitley be back. And soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- drjec20002drjec20002Dined on 6/28/2014Last night was our first try of this gem. The Kale/trout salad is wonderful. The sea bass, a fish I recently had at Le Bernadin, was phenomenal--and much better than a Le Bernadin (for incredibly less money). We tried some wines that were quite good. We went before a performance at Lincoln Center--an easy walk. Our palns: To return soon.Special Features: