222 W. 79th Street
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fishtagrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2123627470
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, International
- Executive Chef: Michael Psilakis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: FishTag is open to discuss catering for on premise or off premises events.
A word from Fish Tag
FishTag restaurant is an Upper West Side seafood driven tavern by Chef Michael Psilakis. While the cuisine is easy to enjoy on its own, the menu is designed to pair intelligently with a variety of beers & wines to enhance one's dining experience. With an extensive wine by the glass and craft beer program, FishTag proves to be an ideal restaurant for family dining, counter seating, date type outings, or just a place to kick back with a unique beverage.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Fish Tag reviews from OpenTable diners
147 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (95)neighborhood gem (87)notable wine list (47)romantic (24)special occasion (22)good for groups (21)great for brunch (11)late-night find (10)hot spot (9)vibrant bar scene (7)kid-friendly (6)great for lunch (5)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- top notchSUWSVIPDined on 10/10/2014Been to Fish Tag 4 times in last 9 months and the food and service has always been top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite near the Beacon!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/8/2014We have been coming for years and love the food, though the menu could use some updating. Weird bar configuration detracts a little from ambience but it's always a pleas place to sit and have a very good meal. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great spot!tnnycDined on 10/4/2014We have dined at Fish Tag a handful of times, and each time it has been a lovely evening with great food! This is definitely our go-to spot.Special Features:
- Very Good, But not ExcellentJeffCDined on 10/3/2014Oysters and smoked octopus were excellent. My Stripped Bass entree had a bad tasting burnt oil flavor to it that marred the dish for me. The real issue for me is that this restaurant is EXTREMELY noisy. My date and I were shouting at each other the entire evening.
- DisappointedCyreneDined on 10/3/2014Have dined here many times but was very disappointed with the quality of the food this time. This restaurant is declining and I probably won't eat here again.
- So good!TonyaVIPDined on 10/2/2014We love this place but hadn't been there in a while. The food is consistently very good, the staff are warm and personable - we love this place and need to go more often!Special Features:
- Good Food awful serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/1/2014It's unfortunate, as the food is delicious yet the service is awful! Due to service I won't come back anytime soon, or recommend to my friends.
- Amazing!Love2eatinNYCVIPDined on 10/1/2014One of the best meals I have ever had! Fish specials were out of this world! Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice find on the UWSThegoodlifeDined on 9/25/2014Made last minute reservations last night and had a very good small plate meal. Excellent wine list and we liked the fact that you could buy a half glass, a whole class, a half bottle and a whole bottle. Nice choices for both of us because they offered small plates and regular plates as well as very special cheese and meat choices. The prices were what you would expect in NYC - $$ and the service was attentive and welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PD11Dined on 9/23/2014Food was first-rate and service was attentive and careful.Special Features:
- First TimerLiamVIPDined on 9/21/2014First time here and loved it. However, the lobster bucatini was nothing special and wasn't worth the $26.00. As for the appetizers, the "manhattan clam chowder" was amazing and the scallop ceviche was refreshing. Service was well-timed and friendly, wines were affordable. Despite the lobster bucatini, I definitely would return to try more dishes. The staffs exuded professionalism and was very honest when it came to what was best to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very creative seafood menuuegdswVIPDined on 9/21/2014I love Fish Tag. The menu is creative and delicious. All the trimmings and additions on each dish go with the items. Everything is tasty. This place is not about phony and tasteless innovation. It has great substance. This is the real deal. How about kale and trout salad! So unique and so wonderful. And smoked octopus, Greek spoon salad. Wow. Also, the wines and mixed drinks are always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/18/2014Fun & interesting food. Very creative! Great selection on the wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- doesn't workSjepDined on 9/16/2014trying to be clever, or something, the menu is just weird and hard to navigate. The food is uneven. a few delicious dishes, but mostly bland, unsuccessful duds. everything, especially the wine list, is overpriced. Our waitress was remarkably friendly and helpful, the only really nice part of the evening.
- Delicious as always!MichelleVIPDined on 9/16/2014Try the bulger salad and trout/kale salads so tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food, terrific servicecwm21Dined on 9/16/2014The smoked fish plate is a must, wine list is reasonably priced by Manhattan standards, service was spot on.Special Features:
- YumSeekerDined on 9/13/2014Our favorite place to dine before concerts at the BeaconSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oh yeahEasygoerDined on 9/11/2014Smoked eggplant bruschetta, smoked octopus appetizers, striped bass, Bronzino, all done to perfection. Asked for wine pairing recommendations in flavor ranges: delivered. Our wait staff was knowledgable about the food and wine. Definitely a return visit in order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent pairingsAychArrGuyVIPDined on 9/6/2014We had a wonderful dinner at Fish Tag this past weekend. The venue is great, the vibe is positive and the service is really top-notch. The menu was very interesting and I loved the intelligent way it was designed. Dishes are color-coded (red for appetizers, black for entrees) and the menu progresses from lighter items at the top to heavier, more flavorful items towards the bottom. In the side margins you find recommended drink pairings that correspond to categories of wines & beers on the other side of the menu. Clearly, a lot of thought and care went into the design and structure of this menu - both on paper and in the kitchen - and it really worked for me. Very impressive and very delicious!Special Features:
- Great brunch!bcd818VIPDined on 9/6/2014Really enjoyed dinner here, so decided to check out the brunch. It was wonderful! We had the deluxe brunch, which included the salmon platter. Delicious, even the bread was great. The brunch drinks are outstanding- I loved the marytini on the bloody mary menu. I had the moroccan eggs as my main- totally delicious. This restaurant is a fantastic addition to the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Great restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014Food was delicious and interesting. Nice, cozy atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great fresh food / customer serviceAlanKVIPDined on 8/29/2014The food was on point, very fresh....you cannot go wrong. The menu is set up so you can pair the food with beverages which is very cool. Meghan worked with us and comes HIGHLY recommended! She was extremely professional and everything she had suggested paired nicely. Kudos and thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Looking for Dining ValuecarecaVIPDined on 8/29/2014Hipster style, but food was way too expensive, vs. the quality.
- Delicious!bcd818VIPDined on 8/28/2014Had a wonderful meal with friends. The staff were very attentive and helpful- everything they recommended was delicious! The octopus was perfect, the trout and kale salad, the mussels- we didn't have a disappointing bite.Special Features:
- Margaret-AnnOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/27/2014Outside is dull but inside is charming! Food is outstanding! Wine expensive for what they serve.Special Features:
- Amazing foodfoodophileVIPDined on 8/25/2014The food is incredible, prices reasonable and service friendlySpecial Features:
- Very goodfamilyVIPDined on 8/25/2014Interesting room and decor. Innovative menu, knowledgeable and staff and wonderfully prepared fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Late Dinner!TravelingCAGirlVIPDined on 8/22/2014This was just around the corner from our hotel and had good reviews, so given the hour (8:30pm) we thought it was worth a try. Very glad we decided to dine here. Staff from welcome to bar to busboys were welcoming and prompt. We took staff advice and tried the kale & smoked trout salad as an appetizer -- it was amazing. Had salmon & roast chicken for the entrees. Skin on the salmon was beautifully crisped and fish was well done (as requested). The orange-thyme sauce on the chicken saved it from being a bit dry; roast potatoes were perfect. Sadly, there was no space left to try the signture sundae, though we did see one in passing and it looked great (and huge). Oh, and they have an amazing drink list, too!Special Features:
- DEEEELICIOUS!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/19/2014Fish Tag was a recommendation by a friend and it was just as she said "YUMMY"! The waiter/host was so knowledgable about the menu and made great suggestions. I highly recommend Fish Tag!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty and hits the spotfood4everVIPDined on 8/13/2014Notable eats in the UWS. Food is well-prepared, attractively served, and the wine pairings are delicious and generously poured. Good value and a nice night out....could only be improved by lower noise volume.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UWS GemHungryKittyDined on 8/11/2014Fish Tag is Another M.P. Shining Star The Food and Pairings are Impeccably put together. The Service is both Friendly and Competent. Definitely going back again and again !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious.Cather123VIPDined on 8/9/2014The appetizers and entrees here are great, different fresh and delicious. Just look out for staggering prices on wine and dessert. Although they were tasty, a glass of sancerre for $18 and an ice cream sundae for $14 were just ridiculous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014I had moderate expectations coming in but was pleasantly surprised. The wine list is very diverse and the suggested pairings are helpful as well. The portion sizes are good and will fill you up. Try the trout.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealpmcbDined on 8/8/2014Wonderful flavors, really good service. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- A lovely meal!UWSSansKidsVIPDined on 8/5/2014We had expert care and wonderful food for an early evening meal last week. Our only recommendation: put some plant life outside the front lowered stoop; it's a busy block and it was not easy to find you, and when we did, the outside of the restaurant didn't look anywhere near as nice as the inside. Thanks for a wonderful meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekKW84Dined on 8/3/2014Although we made a reservation due to Restaurant Week, it didn't seem necessary, as there were only, maybe, three other groups dining with us for our 6:45 dinner. The food was excellent and the waiter was knowledgable. I will say that it was slightly disappointing that a bottle of white, that wasn't even as good as some $20 bottles I've had, was $38, the same price as the entire, three course dinner with the deal. Perhaps it's to make up for the Restaurant Week deal. Other than that, it was a pleasant experience and a decent amount of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!BonappetitVIPDined on 8/1/2014What a fabulous evening. We asked our wonderful server, Megan, to choose appetizers for us. She presented us with six eclectic choices that all complemented one another; we couldn't have been more pleased. The entire staff was terrific. Thank you, thank you! We will return soon. A+++ :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, bad spaceebmudderDined on 7/31/2014Food and service were very good, but the ceilings are low and a/c registers close to the tables, making for uncomfortable drafts and noise. For a small room (10-12 tables), the hard surfaces and low ceiling made for an unpleasantly loud experience. Lamb chops and mussels were excellent, swordfish w/greek sausage was lacking in flavor. Interesting menu lists food from light to heavy flavors, but mixing appetizers and main courses in one list is confusing. An email sent 24 hrs in advance to the "info" address on the website went unanswered.Special Features:
- Be careful what you orderBeKeDined on 7/30/2014Some small plates are very small, some large plates are not that large. Some items are lovely, others, not so much. The pairings suggested seem right on and the way the menu is organized is refreshing. Coffee is way over priced; gotta make a profit, but give me a break $4.50.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mommad4everDined on 7/29/2014The resturant week menu was amazing! We had salmon,trout, lamb chops. All of our meals were amazing. Can t wait to return. DiSpecial Features: