790 Main Street
Napa, CA 94559Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fishstorynapa.com/
- Phone: 7072515600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Happy Hour Menu: Sunday - Thursday: 2:30pm - 6:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 2:30pm -5:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Clint Davies
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Fish Story
Fish Story, offering sustainable, seasonal, ocean-fresh seafood, is Lark Creek Restaurant Group's entry into the Napa Valley dining scene. Located downtown, with ample riverfront patio seating, Fish Story serves lunch weekdays, brunch weekend days and dinner nightly, featuring live local Dungeness crab, live Maine lobster, fresh fish and shellfish all sourced in accordance with the Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch Program, plus non-seafood items.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Fish Story - Best Restaurants in Napa ›
Fish Story reviews from OpenTable diners
147 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (92)scenic view (66)special occasion (57)fit for foodies (53)notable wine list (35)great for lunch (34)romantic (32)neighborhood gem (32)good for groups (31)great for brunch (11)kid-friendly (11)hot spot (9)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (3)Show More
- RelaxingTobyDined on 8/21/2014We were celebrating or 27th anniversary and decided on FS. Service was great! Food was delicious. The outdoor space was very relaxing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor setup. Poor criteria.CacehoDined on 8/15/2014I was there for a special date with my wife. They give us the worse table possible in the outside area. It is really bad when they makes you feel that you are not good enough for their restaurant and they give you the worse location (noise, with waitresses running around continuously, with no view, etc). Good food but the service does not worth the price. Not coming backSpecial Features:
- Very dog friendlyDoodDined on 8/15/2014Service was good, food was great. The place is dog friendly, tables outside are spaced so is is easy to bring a large dog and tuck him out of the way of other guestsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenominal!JulieGraceDined on 8/14/2014It was a perfect dining experience. Outstanding experience from the second we stepped on the property. Attentive host, wait staff and even a pleasurable visit with the manager as he came to insure a successful dining experience. The appetizer, entree and dessert were fabulous. A sensory success all around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing- end of storyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/12/2014Though the service was friendly and competent, and the location on the river pleasant, the food here was disappointing. For a place w/"fish" in the name, I expect a wide array of fresh fish dishes on the menu. Not only was their menu limited, they'd run out of several regular menu items by 6:30pm and were substituting other fishes for escolar & soft shell crab. Had a tempura shrimp appetizer that was served as little bits of shrimp--greasy, not that flavorful--then my husband got a sole dish that reminded me of something you could get at a diner or a mass-produced wedding/banquet, and I had branzino which was fishy. The mustard potatoes were okay. We didn't bother with dessert since nothing we ate there was worth our while.Special Features:
- DisappointingNapFoodieVIPDined on 8/8/2014To give Fish Story a fair shake, we ate there 3x. The food is flavorless and the portions are so too small. Last night was our last and final dinner there. The restaurant advertised a Wild Salmon menu paired with Rose. The salmon tataki appetizer was half the size of my iphone. No kidding. The server Nicki tried to warn us how small it was. Her service was excellent. My husband had the petrale sole & said it was just okay. I had a flavorless poached lobster entree that had about 4 bites of lobster. Seasoning was absent. Our premium oysters were fresh. Only those and the great service from Nicki are why I give this two stars.
- Great SalmonHTGoodDined on 8/7/2014I had the wild caught Salmon which was prepared perfectly and the portion was ample. The in house brewed Summer Ale was very good as well and seemed to compliment the salmon. I will definitely eat there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LED1Dined on 8/7/2014The food and service were very good--our waiter made special effort to explain the various menu options. Fish was VERY fresh!Special Features:
- What has happened to Fish Story?sharonDined on 8/1/2014We were very much looking forward to our dinner last Friday since we'd always been happy at the Fish Story. Well, the first disappointment was the MENU--it had changed so much that all the things we wanted to order weren't even on it--no shrimp salad, no mussels, no fish and chips, no trout. We ended up ordering the petrel sole and salmon. The waitress did substitute my side dish with the salmon, (which was tasty), but the fish itself was quite dry. The petrel sole was not up to par either, according to the two people who ordered that. In the end, we were so discouraged that even the butterscotch pudding didn't seem the same. We won't be going there again.
- AWFULOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014The food is way overpriced. The salmon was around 2 or 3 oz. Most restaurants it's around 6 oz. The lobster was 3 bites. For the price, total ripoff.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/1/2014First time we had been here and was very happy with our experience and the food was very good. Portion sizes were a tad small. Loved that is was right on the river path. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- Great story at Fish StoryDfinkelstein1Dined on 7/31/2014Wonderful restaurant in downtown Napa on the river. Four star service, excellent oysters and wine outside. What more coul you wish for in Napa?Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/28/2014Food was good all around. Service was a little scattered but people were working hard to be positive. We ate outside for the first time and it was enjoyable.Special Features:
- Great local Restaurantdineout70Dined on 7/27/2014Fish Story is one of our favorite local restaurants. We can always be sure of having a fantastic fish dinner and the choices are always unique and in accordance sustainable fish choices. The apps are seasonal and creative. It is always on the list when we are thinking of dining out in the valley.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dining experienceSabrinadrvrDined on 7/26/2014My husband and I had walked by Fish Story for a few days and finally made a reservation. The staff was friendly and helpful as soon as we walked in. Our server was appropriately attentive and helpful with the menu and wine selection. Everyone seemed to go out of their way to make us feel comfortable. And the food was great! We both had fish dishes and they were so well prepared, flavorful and quite satisfying. The recommended wine was the perfect complement.Special Features:
- Sunday dinnerDietRestrictedDined on 7/26/2014Hello, We are Napa locals and we love your restaurant, but as gluten-free-soy-free-vegetarians, we are becoming increasingly frustrated by your lack of dinner options that we can eat. Your ravioli dish contains wheat, which is bad for for people with wheat allergies, like us. You did provide a dish with beautifully prepared vegetables that were lightly blanched, but there was no grain or protein provided, such as rice or quinoa. We also would have enjoyed the vegetables more if they we cooked and served warm and not cold. (We know the vegetables were meant to be served with the tuna dish, which is served cold as well). Please feel free to consult us for guidance about providing suitable options for diet restricted people, if you wish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try too much1notsofoodieDined on 7/25/2014They specialize in fresh fish dinners, but have a couple items on the menu for the non-fish eaters. The food was beautifully presented. I do think that the chef is trying too hard to make the dishes unique. Had the lobster dish, with corn. Some sort of creamed corn, with chunks of fresh just off the cob corn nibbletts, then popped corn scattered about (I thought this was odd). Then the lobster was topped with a coral foam (insert fancy name). This was the part I didn't care for. It was a fishy broth that had been foamed. I did not care for it taste wise, and I thought it didn't look appetizing. Then they scattered flower petals about the dish. For me, they tried too hard to make the dish different, and went too far.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wanted to love itAtl38VIPDined on 7/22/2014There were four of us for an early dinner (6:30) and it was not busy but the service was dismal. We had empty drinks water and wine, one member of our party actually got up and ask for the wine as we could see it on the bar. The food was good we enjoyed the fresh menu, the appetizers were great shrimp and salmon 4 ways. I might give it another try to see if service improved but with so many options right on the river walk I may not.Special Features:
- Great Service, Good FooddrenkenDined on 7/20/2014We arrived earlier than reservation and promptly seated at the bar. Our servers were very attentive, the staff kept a close watch for ready tables and kept us informed. We wanted to sit outside, but they were not seating there. Weather was accommodating. No reason given. The food was good, but below expectations for Napa. Some descriptions were a stretch. The waitress described the dishes that she liked very well, but didn't know much about the others. When asked about certain fish types, the comparison to other fish was nowhere close to accurate. Everyone was fine with their choices, somewhat underwhelmed. This will probably not be a regular stop on our recurring visits to Napa, unless to the bar or to sit outside with wine.I would recommend this to a friend.
- InconsistentNapaNativeDined on 7/19/2014We started with the lovely sparkling wine flight. Strangely they were served in wine glasses instead of champagne glasses. The oysters were delicious but the Salmon 5 Ways ranged from good to really blah. We ordered 3 different fish dishes and 2 out of 3 were very good. Once again it was the salmon which was disappointing. It was overcooked, but not to the point where it needed to be returned, but strange for a fish restaurant. The dessert, a Madeleine Cake, was really boring for a $10 dessert! The service was friendly and relatively attentive, but the timing was appalling. Our main courses arrived right after we finished our appetizers and before we even had utensils or the wine that was ordered to have with fish. It really felt rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tourist trapLocalDined on 7/19/2014A nice location on the river in downtown Napa but clearly designed for the tourist crowd. Bland food, very small portions without the burst of flavor expected.Special Features:
- extremly disappointedgigiDined on 7/19/2014We cannot believe that in a fine dinning restaurant in Napa, a $45.00 bottle of wine was served in a carafe and not the actual bottle. Nor can anyone we told this to. We were never shown the bottle and when asked to see it, we were told by manager, well it comes from a keg not a bottle. We live in Napa go out almost every week end and find this "Unbelievable"! We have been to Fish Story a couple of times before but we will never go there again. This place must have new owner. Very disappointed. The service was extremely slow but we did not blame the waiter who kept apologizing to us. It seems that it was the kitchen and bar that could not get it together. Maybe they had trouble with the "keg".
- Not Just a Fish Story...Number6Dined on 7/18/2014This was my first time at Fish Story and I found it to be a outstanding. The menu is printed daily depending on the fresh catch. The service was attentive but not annoying. Food was of great (portions, price, taste,-the total package). Give Fish Story a try and you will be hooked.Special Features:
- Great placeGregSDined on 7/18/2014Lively downtown spot with attentive staff and wonderful food. Would go back again.Special Features:
- A restaurant along the riverLeungVIPDined on 7/17/2014The fresh oysters are good. The lobster without shell is tasteful. I do not see desserts I like. No tiramisu. Nothing special for birthday people. Too bad. The price is not low. Over $100 for two people with only 70% full.Special Features:
- Fish StoryMasterChiefBillDined on 7/16/2014A Great Experience. Thoroughly enjoyed sitting along the Napa River enjoying a wonderful meal.Special Features:
- Great Dining, Great Food. Top notchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/13/2014Everything we ordered was top notch, even the bread was fantastic. Definitely a fish restaurant, so best to take advantage of that menu.Special Features:
- excellent foodrkd2Dined on 7/12/2014nice ambience, great food, portions a bit small, friendly staff, love the decor, did not feel rushedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Fish StoryLauraDined on 7/12/2014My friends and I dined at Fish Story last Saturday outside overlooking the Napa River. The experience was perfect! The food was deliciously prepared and presented. The wine was exceptional and our server, Michael, was amazing. He was witty, professional and interactive with everyone at the table. We will return to Fish Story..........Special Features:
- too expensiveVirginianDined on 7/5/2014Presentation is great. Food was not amazing but good. Bread was too crispy, but flavor was good. Not much choices in beer. It is nice to sit outside.Special Features:
- Bad experienceJimmymacVIPDined on 7/5/2014We have been to Fish Story before and enjoyed the food. This time a party of six. One had the sturgeon and thought it was OK. I previously had that dish and agree that it just OK as I found it very bland. A second diner had the sole and thought it was very poor since the fish was chopped up and blended into a rice mixture- not at all what she expected. The remaining four (including myself) had the Grande Le Aioli. All four of us thought the dish was the worst meal we have ever been served in Napa Valley. This was a cold plate but we were not informed of this on ordering. The quality of the food on that plate was very poor. Unfortunately, we will not be returni ng to Fish Story.
- Awesome patio; food not so much...OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/5/2014The patio is pretty awesome; great view of the water, the bridge and good people watching while you drink your wine and eat. Based on previous reviews, I ordered the beet salad and the Hawaiin white fish (can't remember the name). Beet salad was ok, but not what I was expecting - the way they serve the beets leaves it with an odd texture, not my favorite. The fish was really blah - it had no flavor and even came out room temp. I would go back for wine and a nice patio, but would venture down the boardwalk a little for my meal. Oh...side note, our server was great...very attentive and helped get a special order in for my kids.Special Features:
- Not badJanelle188Dined on 7/4/2014I've been to Fish Story several times before and really enjoyed myself. This time, I was a bit more on the fence. I was not impressed with my server-- I found her to be overbearing and not very accommodating. My entree was good, but I had to send my salad back, as it was awful. I will return, though, as the good outweighs the bad and I've had several better experiences there before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Le Grand Aioli is Grand!PapaVIPDined on 7/3/2014We both had the grand aioli and it was great. A big bowl of aioli and fresh grilled local cod, new potatoes, hericots vertes, little garden tomatoes, baby artichokes, grilled baguettes, herbs and flowers, etc. Delightful and updated version. Who can beat the river-front table on a balmy evening?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotDennisDined on 6/28/2014Good restaurant in a great location on the riverfront.Special Features:
- Skip the salad!SonomaDinersDined on 6/27/2014The Spring Garden Lettuces, toasted sunflower seeds, white anchovy dressing, sourdough crisps (9.00) was the worst salad ever. Very bitter, we couldn't eat it. My husband had the Butter Roasted Sturgeon and I had the Napa Verjus-glazed Petrale Sole which we enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday dinnernapamamaDined on 6/26/2014My husband and I had a wonderful birthday dinner at Fish Story. The beet salad was delicious, as were both of our fish entrees. Our sever was attentive but not overly so. Did not stay for dessert as we had a second spot already picked out for that.Special Features:
- Always Very GoodTARFOURVIPDined on 6/25/2014Fish Story was great as usual. The sea bass was amazing and so were all the variety of oysters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WenJenVIPDined on 6/21/2014Absolutely delicious! Everything we ordered was deliciously fresh and vibrant. The beet terrine was superb! We will be back!Special Features:
- kid friendlyJoanneVIPDined on 6/18/2014We celebrated a young teen birthday, the wait staff was very helpful, kind and understanding. It was quiet so we could talk, we had a view of the river and the lemonade was "the best" as usual. The petrale sole was outstanding, flavors that all seemed to belong together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.