790 Main Street
Napa, CA 94559Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fishstorynapa.com/
- Phone: 7072515600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Happy Hour Menu: Sunday - Thursday: 2:30pm - 6:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 2:30pm -5:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Clint Davies
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Fish Story
Fish Story, offering sustainable, seasonal, ocean-fresh seafood, is Lark Creek Restaurant Group's entry into the Napa Valley dining scene. Located downtown, with ample riverfront patio seating, Fish Story serves lunch weekdays, brunch weekend days and dinner nightly, featuring live local Dungeness crab, live Maine lobster, fresh fish and shellfish all sourced in accordance with the Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch Program, plus non-seafood items.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Fish Story - Best Restaurants in Napa ›
Fish Story reviews from OpenTable diners
117 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (78)scenic view (54)fit for foodies (48)special occasion (40)notable wine list (33)neighborhood gem (30)romantic (29)good for groups (25)great for lunch (24)hot spot (9)great for brunch (6)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (2)Show More
- This Fish Story isn't a LieOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014Good food. Great service nice ambiance. Very nice evening with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All but one dish are greatStar812VIPDined on 10/19/2014The sweetbread dish was very small in quantity (3-4 bites) for $15 and tasted average, but all other dishes (salad, duck, pet rake sole) were fantastic. Bread, which came from Model Bakery, was also hit and delicious. A dinner for 2 w/ wine came out to be $100.Special Features:
- Don't botherLucyDined on 10/18/2014Our first clue should have been that it was dead inside on a Saturday night. The food was good not great but the portions were small and terribly overpriced. I had mushroom ravioli. A foodie twist in the prep which was fine but 4 incredibly small ravioli for $20, come on. A half bottle of mediocre wine $32. Service was good. Atmosphere too quite, a bit commercial in the look. Very limited menu. Chef seemed good but portion and priced can't make up for that.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014We sat out overlooking river which was nice Food and service was extremely well done. Would surely go back. Figure on about $75.00 per person realisticallySpecial Features:
- Great Night OutDinner4TwoDined on 10/17/2014My wife and I wanted to have a dinner night out. Thought we would try Fish Story. It did not disappoint. Service was great. Online reservations were easy. And the food was amazing! We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, view under constructionPGFDE121Dined on 10/12/2014We did the Chef's 5 course meal paired with the wine tasting. Only done this type of meal one other time (in Vegas), but similar results in that it was amazing. Great service as well. We didn't think the final two wines were paired that well, but we had been wine tasting for 3 days, so think we were all wined out by that point. The great food didn't need any pairings to be enjoyed though. The water front area is under construction to allow for large vessels and deeper water, so the waterfront doesn't really have any movement, but hopefully once that project wraps up things will be a little more vibrant.Special Features:
- Loved it!RobinRVIPDined on 10/4/2014Wonderful dinner and such unexpected delight! The Sole was simply outstanding! We recommend and will make Fish Story a regular dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- relaxingsuz1155Dined on 10/4/2014The food was great, although my husband's serving was very small compared to my serving. The server was very good and did not rush us.Special Features:
- Still Great The Second TimeTarynDined on 10/3/2014We love Fish Story, end of story, lol. The choices there are so wonderful, and taste so delectable! Can't wait to dine here again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2014As always, another fantastic and delicious dinner! Our friends from Hawaii enjoyed the ambiance, view and service! When we arrived for our reservation, we were seated immediately!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/19/2014Thanks for a wonderful evening. Food was fabulous- we both ordered fish that we new to us and enjoyed immensely. Staff were friendly, attentive but not over bearing in any way. A Perfect evening !Special Features:
- Great atmosphereBarbaraSDined on 9/15/2014The atmosphere was great and the service super but the food was just so-so. We met friends that we hadn't seen in year, so the relaxed atmosphere was perfect, but no one walked away saying that they had a great meal.Special Features:
- Bad reviewAndrewDined on 9/14/2014Bad experience! Service was bad and salmon was so dry! I expected better!
- We Left Our OT Gift At HomeTarynDined on 9/13/2014I have wanted to come here since I moved close by, and my boyfriend and I finally got the chance, and the babysitter :). When we arrived, we brought our own bottle of champagne, and everyone kept asking what the special occasion was, but there was none really; we just wanted to come to Napa and support the restaurant community after the earthquake. To be honest, our server (I can't recall her name), along with other staff members, treated us like we were celebrities! It was great; the service was excellent, and the dorade I had was the best fish I have ever tasted; it was the freshest-tasting piece of fish I have ever had. My boyfriend had the king salmon, and we both enjoyed it! We left our OT gift at home, so we will be back!Special Features:
- Too SloowliketoenjoyDined on 9/13/2014Food was great, service was not. Sat for 10 minutes before someone came for drink order, then brought two of the three drinks, 10 minutes had to ask for it again, another waitress brought it promptly. Order additional drinks, again took another 15 minutes. Lastly received our check before we received the last of our cocktails................. Food service was goodSpecial Features:
- Fish Story (Lunch)diningouttonight99Dined on 9/12/2014Fish Story is in a convenient location (Downtown Napa). It has a nice outdoor/patio dining area. The day we were there it was not crowded at all and had a relaxing, stress-free vibe. The food was OK, if you or someone in your party is a foodie or dines out in the area, this lunch will be disappointing. Our server was nice, but not experienced and not polished (forgot about our appetizer). I was disappointed because I had set up the reservation and it wasn't the kind of services I had hoped for. The portion sizes were fine, and the price would have been fine if the food was better. Overall it just seemed like they save the A & B teams for dinner (food & service).Special Features:
- A Napa DinnerHmbjwwDined on 9/10/2014Great evening on the patio next to the Napa River. Actually had a couple of fish entrees that we'd never heard of before, both recommended by the server, both delicious. Don't pass on the tuna tartare app. Scrumptious!Special Features:
- 2nd time aroundSardelVIPDined on 9/6/2014This was our 2nd time eating here. We came back specifically for the clams with chorizo and pork belly, which unfortunately they no longer have on the menu. I ordered the Petrale Sole and the other 3 guests order the Sturgeon. The Sole was very good. The Sturgeon had great flavor, but the portions were a bit on the small side. We all joked about where we were going to eat next, because they were still hungry. Our waitress Lisa, came over and asking how was everything. We said how we felt about the meal. Needless to say, about 10 minutes later we had another entrée delivered to the table with 2 sides of fresh garden vegetables for all of us to share. We didn't leave hungry! We will definitely return for a 3rd go around!Special Features:
- Delicious dinnerAnneVIPDined on 9/4/2014We had a lovely dinner at the Fish Story. My petrale was delicious and my husband's beef was excellent. The beignets for dessert were also wonderful. The new manager, Neil Robinson, has really made a difference. The welcome is superb and the service outstanding. We will make this restaurant one of our regular haunts. They also have a nice circular bar and we come here often for drinks and bar snacks.Special Features:
- 4 Fish Entrees - all delicioushslover728VIPDined on 8/31/2014I went to Fish Story as a group of 4 on a Sunday evening. We started off with a bottle of pinot noir and the ahi tartare. Tartare was very fresh and light but not a ton of flavor. Sourdough rolls from Model Bakery-yum! For entrees, we each ordered a different fish. We got: sauteed dorade, grilled escolar, wild king salmon, and butter roasted sturgeon. I tried each and they were all delicious! The escolar was my favorite because of the salty flavor and the denseness of the fish but the salmon was a close second. The dorade was my least favorite. It had crispy skin and tasted fishy. We also got a bread pudding with roasted pineapple and coconut sorbet for dessert. Loved the pineapples but did not care for the sorbet. An excellent meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedlocalgalDined on 8/30/2014Fish Story was my favorite restaurant in Napa until this visit for lunch. The menu has been changed and my favorites have been taken off...but the real downer was the taste of the food. Salty. Lack of flavor. And a strange balsamic jelly that was served on the Ahi. The Salmon Salad was very small. Plain lettuce on a bed of quinoa with 4 bites of salmon. $18. So sad. I love the ambiance but the chef is getting it wrong.
- BigRayDined on 8/29/2014If you are looking for a fish meal in Napa, this is the place. Located in a new building on the river, central to downtown. Wait staff is very accommodating and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RelaxingTobyDined on 8/21/2014We were celebrating or 27th anniversary and decided on FS. Service was great! Food was delicious. The outdoor space was very relaxing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor setup. Poor criteria.CacehoDined on 8/15/2014I was there for a special date with my wife. They give us the worse table possible in the outside area. It is really bad when they makes you feel that you are not good enough for their restaurant and they give you the worse location (noise, with waitresses running around continuously, with no view, etc). Good food but the service does not worth the price. Not coming backSpecial Features:
- Very dog friendlyDoodDined on 8/15/2014Service was good, food was great. The place is dog friendly, tables outside are spaced so is is easy to bring a large dog and tuck him out of the way of other guestsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenominal!JulieGraceDined on 8/14/2014It was a perfect dining experience. Outstanding experience from the second we stepped on the property. Attentive host, wait staff and even a pleasurable visit with the manager as he came to insure a successful dining experience. The appetizer, entree and dessert were fabulous. A sensory success all around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing- end of storyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/12/2014Though the service was friendly and competent, and the location on the river pleasant, the food here was disappointing. For a place w/"fish" in the name, I expect a wide array of fresh fish dishes on the menu. Not only was their menu limited, they'd run out of several regular menu items by 6:30pm and were substituting other fishes for escolar & soft shell crab. Had a tempura shrimp appetizer that was served as little bits of shrimp--greasy, not that flavorful--then my husband got a sole dish that reminded me of something you could get at a diner or a mass-produced wedding/banquet, and I had branzino which was fishy. The mustard potatoes were okay. We didn't bother with dessert since nothing we ate there was worth our while.Special Features:
- DisappointingNapFoodieVIPDined on 8/8/2014To give Fish Story a fair shake, we ate there 3x. The food is flavorless and the portions are so too small. Last night was our last and final dinner there. The restaurant advertised a Wild Salmon menu paired with Rose. The salmon tataki appetizer was half the size of my iphone. No kidding. The server Nicki tried to warn us how small it was. Her service was excellent. My husband had the petrale sole & said it was just okay. I had a flavorless poached lobster entree that had about 4 bites of lobster. Seasoning was absent. Our premium oysters were fresh. Only those and the great service from Nicki are why I give this two stars.
- Great SalmonHTGoodDined on 8/7/2014I had the wild caught Salmon which was prepared perfectly and the portion was ample. The in house brewed Summer Ale was very good as well and seemed to compliment the salmon. I will definitely eat there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LED1Dined on 8/7/2014The food and service were very good--our waiter made special effort to explain the various menu options. Fish was VERY fresh!Special Features:
- What has happened to Fish Story?sharonDined on 8/1/2014We were very much looking forward to our dinner last Friday since we'd always been happy at the Fish Story. Well, the first disappointment was the MENU--it had changed so much that all the things we wanted to order weren't even on it--no shrimp salad, no mussels, no fish and chips, no trout. We ended up ordering the petrel sole and salmon. The waitress did substitute my side dish with the salmon, (which was tasty), but the fish itself was quite dry. The petrel sole was not up to par either, according to the two people who ordered that. In the end, we were so discouraged that even the butterscotch pudding didn't seem the same. We won't be going there again.
- AWFULOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014The food is way overpriced. The salmon was around 2 or 3 oz. Most restaurants it's around 6 oz. The lobster was 3 bites. For the price, total ripoff.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/1/2014First time we had been here and was very happy with our experience and the food was very good. Portion sizes were a tad small. Loved that is was right on the river path. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- Great story at Fish StoryDfinkelstein1Dined on 7/31/2014Wonderful restaurant in downtown Napa on the river. Four star service, excellent oysters and wine outside. What more coul you wish for in Napa?Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/28/2014Food was good all around. Service was a little scattered but people were working hard to be positive. We ate outside for the first time and it was enjoyable.Special Features:
- Great local Restaurantdineout70Dined on 7/27/2014Fish Story is one of our favorite local restaurants. We can always be sure of having a fantastic fish dinner and the choices are always unique and in accordance sustainable fish choices. The apps are seasonal and creative. It is always on the list when we are thinking of dining out in the valley.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dining experienceSabrinadrvrDined on 7/26/2014My husband and I had walked by Fish Story for a few days and finally made a reservation. The staff was friendly and helpful as soon as we walked in. Our server was appropriately attentive and helpful with the menu and wine selection. Everyone seemed to go out of their way to make us feel comfortable. And the food was great! We both had fish dishes and they were so well prepared, flavorful and quite satisfying. The recommended wine was the perfect complement.Special Features:
- Sunday dinnerDietRestrictedDined on 7/26/2014Hello, We are Napa locals and we love your restaurant, but as gluten-free-soy-free-vegetarians, we are becoming increasingly frustrated by your lack of dinner options that we can eat. Your ravioli dish contains wheat, which is bad for for people with wheat allergies, like us. You did provide a dish with beautifully prepared vegetables that were lightly blanched, but there was no grain or protein provided, such as rice or quinoa. We also would have enjoyed the vegetables more if they we cooked and served warm and not cold. (We know the vegetables were meant to be served with the tuna dish, which is served cold as well). Please feel free to consult us for guidance about providing suitable options for diet restricted people, if you wish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try too much1notsofoodieDined on 7/25/2014They specialize in fresh fish dinners, but have a couple items on the menu for the non-fish eaters. The food was beautifully presented. I do think that the chef is trying too hard to make the dishes unique. Had the lobster dish, with corn. Some sort of creamed corn, with chunks of fresh just off the cob corn nibbletts, then popped corn scattered about (I thought this was odd). Then the lobster was topped with a coral foam (insert fancy name). This was the part I didn't care for. It was a fishy broth that had been foamed. I did not care for it taste wise, and I thought it didn't look appetizing. Then they scattered flower petals about the dish. For me, they tried too hard to make the dish different, and went too far.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wanted to love itAtl38VIPDined on 7/22/2014There were four of us for an early dinner (6:30) and it was not busy but the service was dismal. We had empty drinks water and wine, one member of our party actually got up and ask for the wine as we could see it on the bar. The food was good we enjoyed the fresh menu, the appetizers were great shrimp and salmon 4 ways. I might give it another try to see if service improved but with so many options right on the river walk I may not.Special Features: