4055 Adams Avenue
San Diego, CA 92116Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fishpublic.com/
- Phone: 6192814014x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday 5:00pm-9:00pm; Tuesday-Thursday 5:00-9:30; Friday-Saturday 5:00pm-10:00pm; CLOSED MONDAYS
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Californian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Joe Magnanelli
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: URBAN KITCHEN CATERING provides four star, stunning events with menus unique to your occasion. For more information check the URBAN KITCHEN CATERING link on our website www.urbankitchengroup.com or call Alison Cupper at 619.239.2222.
- Private Party Facilities: Semi-private rooms available for seating up to 55 guests or cocktail parties up to 100 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Tiffany Tassano 8883269838
- Special Events: FISH PUBLIC offers two distinct dining rooms which are semi-private and accommodate groups of sizes ranging from 25-60 people. Perfect for rehearsal dinners, graduation celebrations, business dinners. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for inquiries.
A word from FISH PUBLIC
FISH PUBLIC is the newest neighborhood restaurant concept from Tracy Borkum and Urban Kitchen Group, located in the heart of Kensington in the previous Kensington Grill location. The seafood section of menu features distinct regional fare from the Pacific and Atlantic oceans. A healthy selection of oysters are available at the open oyster bar/kitchen. These delicate molluscs are available with chef’s whim mignonettes, as well as house prepared accouterments. For non-seafood lovers, guests will not be disappointed with Mary’s fried chicken, beef short ribs or FP burger. ‘Guppy’ menu showcases a fun selection of kids’ classics. Not to be missed are the simple and scrumptiously sweet delights such as seasonally baked pie, banana split and warm chocolate brownie.Continued
Craft cocktails, draft and bottled beer and beautiful wines have been hand selected to pair well with each offering available on the menu.
Craft cocktails, draft and bottled beer and beautiful wines have been hand selected to pair well with each offering available on the menu.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
FISH PUBLIC - Best Restaurants in Kensington ›
FISH PUBLIC reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (67)fit for foodies (44)great for outdoor dining (37)good for groups (28)special occasion (22)romantic (15)kid-friendly (12)great for lunch (10)hot spot (9)vibrant bar scene (7)great for brunch (4)late-night find (4)notable wine list (4)Show More
- A great place to eat.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Under the guidance of my very-knowledgeable foodie pals, I had a great meal at Fish Public. The server was very helpful and attentive, the wine was delicious, the food was superbly prepared, and sitting outside was lovely. I highly recommend the whole-roasted fish with the Sauvignon Blanc.Special Features:
- Great Restauant But Skip "Trivia"OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014We enjoyed sitting outside on a lovely summer evening and wanted to enjoy dinner and conversation with our out-of-town guest. The only complaint I have, and it effects whether or not I return, was the extremely annoying game of "Trivia" that was blaring through the speaker system. We requested that it be turned down, which it was, but it continued to remain a continuing annoyance throughout the evening. If I want to listen to a game show I can stay home and watch TV!Special Features:
- good but left poor and hungryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2014The food was prepared well but not especially remarkable, especially considering the price and portion size. I guess that comes with being in an expensive. The $15 octopus was nice and tender but as my date said, "Where are the other seven legs?" The $25 black cod was tasty but again, just a few ounces of fish with two baby clams and three mussels in the broth. If you want black cod that makes you think you just tasted heaven, go to Wa Dining OKAN and you won't walk out hungry either. Service, on the other hand, was outstanding. Attentive without being overbearing, knowledgeable about the menu, pleasant personality.Special Features:
- Kensington GEM!MikeHodges37VIPDined on 8/22/2014This restaurant was very pleasant and upscale in design, service and cuisine. The Chef uses Seafood in unique ways such as Grits & Shrimp. The Fish & Chips was great, oysters, sashima, and ceviche were perfect. The home made slaw was delicious and a little different. Restaurant has a cute nautical decor and unique use of votive candles. Not too pricey. Cocktails excellent and unique as was the dessert. Location in Kensington neighborhood and worth the drive.Special Features:
- Not enough waitersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Food is great. Wait staff very friendly but excruciating slow service. Simply not enough waiters on the floor.
- A fine eveningPointDined on 8/17/2014Four of us had excellent meals at Fish Public. I had the salmon which done perfectly and very tasty. My wife enjoyed the mixed grill - beef, lamb, sausage, and shrimp. Andy had the fish of the day served as whole fish and he loved it. Mary also had the salmon. The wait staff was attentive but not obtrusive. They also brought my wife more beef feeling that it was slightly overdone for how she ordered it. That was a very nice thing that is often overlooked at other restaurants. The berry hand pie was shared for desert and we would all order it again. I will be back to dine again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- $1 Oyster NightWeezerDined on 8/17/2014A group of us went Sunday night for $1 Oysters and had a fabulous appetizer as well. Drinks we're great, service was awesome. We'll totally be back!Special Features:
- s in tierrasanta251989Dined on 8/16/2014food was great, the service great. Love the décor. First visit and our party of 5 all loved it. We will return.Special Features:
- We will be returningSondramoeDined on 8/15/2014Fish Public's atmosphere was great, it wasn't too loud or too crowded. Our server was attentive and friendly. We had a great dinning experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food live musicBiweeklyDinerVIPDined on 8/7/2014We went on a Thursday night at 7:45 p.m. and they had a guitar vocalist performing. He was good, however, when you have an amplified entertainer some of the guests are not aware that they are shouting to be heard. When the entertainer takes a break they keep talking at that high level. We sat next to a group of friends and they had a loud talker who was blasting us out for the whole meal. Marred, what would have otherwise been a delightful experience. I would have asked them to use their "inside voice", but from past experience most people get defensive, no matter how politely you ask.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not joking when they say fishAcilibertoDined on 8/2/2014This is the greatest fish restaurant I've been to in San Diego. The 'fish sticks' we ordered for my son were made with fresh tuna! The oysters were impeccable. Black cod was delicious. Portions are generous and atmosphere is comfortable. We will be going back.Special Features:
- A different spin on fresh fishOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/1/2014We took my aunt here a few nights ago to try the place out. The menu has a good selection of items, and everything coming out of the kitchen looked fresh and good. Everything has a different flavor spin, don't be afraid of things that sound spicy because they are not too hot, just well flavored. The cocktails looked amazing, but I had a non alcoholic basil lemonade . My husband was thrilled that they served the Manzanita Gillespie Brown on tap as that is a favorite. We brought my aunt who was in shorts, but some people were dressed up, you would feel comfortable however you dressed. At the end of the meal if you have any leftovers, they give you a claim ticket and leave your leftovers with the hostess to pick up on the way out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Fish & ChipsdgadrienneDined on 8/1/2014Friday is the night to go for half off fish and chips. So crispy, so hot, so good! Service was good. Love the decor and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Notable as everLikegoodfoodDined on 8/1/2014New menu. The fried calamari appetizer was outstanding- hot/cold, crunchy/soft, tangy - a study of opposites. The designer cocktail called the Londoner w/basil, cuke and gin was most refreshing but on the expensive side at $10.00 not included in Happy Hour pricing. The lobster-crab roll was tasty - would have preferred it to be either lobster or crab vs combo. The FP burger tasted good but don't know if would order again.Special Features:
- Does not disappointOnditVIPDined on 7/31/2014We moved to Kensington a year ago and since have been to Fish Public several times. Every time, the service is great. The menu fresh and innovative and the food delicious. We also love their martinis. We know that when we go there, we are in for a wonderful time.Special Features:
- Good food and GREAT music!SmilingsmyfavoriteDined on 7/31/2014Go on a Thursday night to enjoy the live music and oyster/beer specials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service great, food not so greatStuinSDVIPDined on 7/30/2014one friend had octopus tacos.. said it was just ok. another friend had the fish tacos... said it was just ok.... i had the seafood bouillabaisse and it was tasteless ..quite disappointing.... so overall the food was not good but i will add the presentation was very nice... and the service was excellent. sadly this was my third time here and probably won't go back....Special Features:
- Great PlaceOfishonadoDined on 7/25/2014Excellent food and service. The oysters were delicious and the fish stew which was made without tomato was excellent. The only drawback was that the patio was on Adams Avenue which made for considerable noise.I would recommend this to a friend.
- You'll go back again & againFriendofGreatFoodDined on 7/24/2014Fish Public is that perfect neighborhood spot... Casual & inviting, but easy for a special night if needed. Service is very friendly! Live music on Friday makes it a little loud - but the music is good for a scene. They have the BEST fish & chips you will ever have. Hands down. Menu styling has notes of the "best" from Cucina (sister spot) but slightly reinvented for a unique flair. Great cocktails & mocktails too! Great for a group - you'll want to hang out all night. (They also have a "Guppie" menu for kids.) cheery & inviting setting. Highly recommended, and will become one of your foodie favs! A+!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PleasantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/17/2014Perhaps we expected more because it's related to Urbana Cucina, which we like. Our food ranged from barely fair (a really underwhelming berry pie that was like a soggy pop-tart, with grainy ice cream) to well executed and flavorful if not exciting (the ceviche) to very good grilled octopus appetizer with a so-so sauce (try Tender Greens for a really Great octopus salad), to an enjoyable and spicy mussels with coconut broth (we like spicy). Pleasant staff, tho' too few of them, so a bit slow. We'll go back to downtown's Urbana Cucina next time instead.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/6/2014In a word....disappointing. We will not go back. My family and I have eaten at this restaurant consistently through names changes, menu changes, chef changes...you name it. But no more. I'm very sorry that I cannot think of anything positive to say regarding the food or the wait staff. What a pity. Mary
- Tiny OystersVoraciousVVIPDined on 7/5/2014The fish tacos were good--grilled tender and light. Topped with cabbage. The service was friendly. But we came for the oysters. They were pitifully small. Most would fit on a demitasse spoon. Well, a couple (of the dozen) were medium-sized. We have been here once before. The fish was overcooked, but we decided to give it another try. Nice atmosphere. Not sure we will return.Special Features:
- Great Fish in the NeighborhoodPalominoDined on 7/1/2014First time visit for 4 of us. Seafood was great from the calamari and mussel appetizers to the sea bass and fish and chips. One of our party was a vegetarian and happily, there are a number of options. Brussel sprouts side dish and mac and cheese were outstanding. Artisan drinks were exceptional and wine list good and reasonably priced. The pannecotta dessert is over the top goodness. We'll definitely be back. Wonderful addition to the neighborhood.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/29/2014Went for dinner after a movie at the Ken which is just next door. Sat at the bar which we enjoy. Great shrimp appetizer with 6 sweet juicy fat shrimp and a spicy dipping sauce. We had the whole fish and boullibaise both were delicious. Dessert selection wasn't great though and the pie of the day was not available. Overall a great place for dinner especially after a movie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sidewalk dining.youngdinerDined on 6/28/2014I love Kensington and enjoy eating in that area. Fish Public is a nice place to eat and has a fine and tasty variety of items on its menu plus a good wine list and excellent tap beer choices. However, it is very pricey. $18 for fish and chips, for example. The fish was excellent, but not the kind of fish one wants for fish and chips. Fish and Chips be nice large flaky cod, light and juicy. Great Cod Almighty as they say in Swindon (I know, DE GUSTIBUS NON DISPUTANDUM and all) Their fish is very dense and dryish, perfect for another type of fish plate. Just sayin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be back!SicilyGirlDined on 6/28/2014All of the great reviews from friends were true! Fish was fresh, recipes innovative, presentation beautiful. Friendly, helpful waiter provide excellent advice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish and More at Fish PublicTVTomVIPDined on 6/24/2014Really delicious food in a great space. We got there in time for a bit of the remaining Happy Hour and got the sangria and fish and veggie tacos. Inexpensive and delicious. As Happy Hour was closing down we ordered the yellow tail plate and some calamari...all very tasty. The place was starting to get busy with the dinner crowd as we left and it seems like a very popular neighborhood spot serving Adams Ave. Overall...highly recommended.Special Features:
- Delish!LuckPusherDined on 6/20/2014Menu was small but interesting. A lot of changes since last time I went, but I lily that. Keeps it interesting. Nice wine and beer selection too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014the fresh oysters were the best my family has tasted with all the different varieties and it being $1 each on Sundays. Our vegetables were on the burnt side; brussel sprouts with the hanger steak and the vegetable assortment with the swordfish, The potatoes with the stripped bass, also on the burnt side. dispointed the lobster roll was out. You should plan to have more servings of this since it is a popular item. We waited slightly longer for the yellowtail as there was confusion in the kitchen. A complementary beer to hold us off. We enjoyed the calamari and crab appetizers. We will probably return for the fresh oysters and hopefully your lobster roll...Special Features:
- DisappointingScottyVIPDined on 6/14/2014Went there looking forward to having poutine, which was on their online menu. The ACTUAL menu that was handed to me was (i) greasy & stained (yuk!) and (ii) didn't list poutine. I asked the waitress, who said "Oh yeah, we haven't served THAT for ages". OK, then OWNERS -- UPDATE YOUR ONLINE MENU. (Note: I wrote that on the check - and they have now updated their online menu, removing Poutine). The carelessness re/ the menu was reflected in the quality of most of the food. Appetizer (shrimp) was wonderful - but the rest of the meal was tasteless (bouillabaisse) or greasy (my wife had fish & chips). Instantly forgettable. Like Long John Silvers.
- go fishOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/12/2014efficient staff, excellent well prepared food at reasonable pricesSpecial Features:
- DisappointingberkabeeDined on 6/8/2014This was our second visit to Fish Public, the first being shortly after they reopened and were sufficiently pleased that we returned this time with friends. The menu format had changed, and the buzz we had felt was absent. We requested outdoor seating and were next to a family of poorly behaved children (out of FP's control). Outdoor patio had no space heaters for comfort as the weather cooled. The food presentation was not appealing; and our meals were just fair in taste. We all felt that based on all, the cost of our meal was not commensurate with the experience. We will not return to FP -- disappointing because Cucina Urbana is one of our fans.
- Great Seafood in KensingtonSFLASDCADined on 6/6/2014Overall this restaurant is great for a seafood fix in the NP, NH, Kensington neighborhoods. Oysters were fresh with sweet Pacific seawater. Fish, Calamari,mussels all done in tasty ethnic variations that exceeded typical seafood preparations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early bird special was great!SKBERSDined on 6/6/2014A small group of us met before an Art opening. The Fish and Chips ½ off was our choice and WOW! Delicious! No crowd at 5pm!!!!!Special Features:
- bobgDined on 6/5/2014we had 4 in our group. 3 thought their entrees were very good. 1 said theirs was ok. Oyster appetizer was okSpecial Features:
- Excellent service and FoodOrozcoDined on 5/31/2014Very good experience...oysters were terrific but the highlight was the octopus appetizer.Special Features:
- Great!!GreatDined on 5/25/2014Only reason it got 4 stars is because the drinks took forever. We actually got thru appetizers before the drinks arrived. Other than that great!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehDrD1Dined on 5/23/2014Stopped in after a movie. Server was friendly and informed about the food but knew nothing of the wine list. The grilled octopus was excellent and perfectly prepared. The shrimp and grits was bland and needed more spice to make interesting. The grilled local yellowtail was also bland and uninteresting. It was served with a daikon and carrot relish that lacked the advertised jalapeño flavor. Overall the food was disappointing. Our previous experience there had been very good, so this was an unpleasant surprise.
- Fish Public, a pretty average place8outagainVIPDined on 5/17/2014The very fishy smell, one I associated with unfresh fish, was a warning sign. Nice waiter but too busy - slow service. We rated Fish Public (10 is best): Prices 8 - moderate affordable Food 7 Not exceptional, quality average. Appetizers 7-8 substantial portions, oysters were 8-9, entrees 7, good but clearly not exceptional. Baked Alaska desert,a misnomer, basically a commercial marshmallow topping engulfing a brownie, slightly torched to make it appear baked. Sweet but only a 7. Service 6 - Waiter was too busy Ambiance 6 - Not bad, but too noisy to engage in conversation. Sadly, we hoped this would be a place to which we'd return since we love seafood, but it was noisy with average food. It will be a long time before we return.
- LOUDKengalVIPDined on 5/17/2014Friendly service, yummy food (although they took the amazing crabcake BLT off the menu, it was my fav). At off peak hours it's fine noise-wise, but at normal happy hour/dinner time you can hardly have a conversation with the person next to you.I would recommend this to a friend.