4055 Adams Avenue
San Diego, CA 92116Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fishpublic.com/
- Phone: 6192814014x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday 5:00pm-9:00pm; Tuesday-Thursday 5:00-9:30; Friday-Saturday 5:00pm-10:00pm; CLOSED MONDAYS
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Californian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Joe Magnanelli
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: URBAN KITCHEN CATERING provides four star, stunning events with menus unique to your occasion. For more information check the URBAN KITCHEN CATERING link on our website www.urbankitchengroup.com or call Alison Cupper at 619.239.2222.
- Private Party Facilities: Semi-private rooms available for seating up to 55 guests or cocktail parties up to 100 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Tiffany Tassano 8883269838
- Special Events: FISH PUBLIC offers two distinct dining rooms which are semi-private and accommodate groups of sizes ranging from 25-60 people. Perfect for rehearsal dinners, graduation celebrations, business dinners. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for inquiries.
A word from FISH PUBLIC
FISH PUBLIC is the newest neighborhood restaurant concept from Tracy Borkum and Urban Kitchen Group, located in the heart of Kensington in the previous Kensington Grill location. The seafood section of menu features distinct regional fare from the Pacific and Atlantic oceans. A healthy selection of oysters are available at the open oyster bar/kitchen. These delicate molluscs are available with chef’s whim mignonettes, as well as house prepared accouterments. For non-seafood lovers, guests will not be disappointed with Mary’s fried chicken, beef short ribs or FP burger. ‘Guppy’ menu showcases a fun selection of kids’ classics. Not to be missed are the simple and scrumptiously sweet delights such as seasonally baked pie, banana split and warm chocolate brownie.Continued
Craft cocktails, draft and bottled beer and beautiful wines have been hand selected to pair well with each offering available on the menu.
Craft cocktails, draft and bottled beer and beautiful wines have been hand selected to pair well with each offering available on the menu.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
FISH PUBLIC - Best Restaurants in Kensington ›
FISH PUBLIC reviews from OpenTable diners
92 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (72)fit for foodies (52)great for outdoor dining (30)good for groups (27)special occasion (20)romantic (13)kid-friendly (12)vibrant bar scene (12)hot spot (11)great for lunch (7)notable wine list (6)late-night find (4)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Loved it!MarCostaDined on 10/19/2014My hubby and I went to Fish Public for our monthly Oysters & Champange date night. I really liked the ambiance, the service was fabulous...the chef and the manager stopped by our table to ask how we were doing...and the food was delicious. We had about 20 oysters (for $1 a piece!) with a glass of Cava. Then mixed drinks (the Londoner was my favorite) with dinner. Their fries were some of the best I've ever had. Everything was delicious and we will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!KikiDined on 10/17/2014I wasn't happy about Kensington Grill closing, so I stayed away for months out of protest. Big mistake. The food is amazing, the service was perfect and the ambiance is charming. It has a great energy while still being quiet enough to have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!!!!TabbyVIPDined on 10/16/2014The food was outstanding with a great variety for all palates. The ambiance was fantastic...warm and inviting San Diego vibe with a bit of east coastal sophistication. We met the chef and very impressed with his training & background. High caliber talent for San Diego! We can't wait for the sushi bar to open...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a fine experience!FriendsnfoodDined on 10/12/2014Our server Maizon (sp?) was excellent. Fish tacos were very tasty and the shrimp and grits outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was goodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/11/2014Went on Saturday night - 7:15 reservations. Restaurant was half empty which the host said was abnormal. Cocktails were excellent, food was excellent. We had the shrimp+grits and the rare opah entrees. Service was good but honestly server seemed half-interested. Would like to try it again to see if there's a better buzz on another evening.
- Very nice neighborhood locationSanFranciscoFoodieDined on 10/4/2014I'm still scouting San Diego Restaurants that are on par with San Francisco. Public Fish is close but just misses the mark. Not for any specific reason, it just the vide isn't there. There are few sister restaurants to Public Fish that have hit the mark so perhaps my expectations were too high. Searching is always fun and their were several other restaurants in the Kensington neighborhood that look promising.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Lobster Risotto!JanielDined on 10/4/2014The place is charming. The food is very good. It was understaffed for a Friday night and we had to wait quite a while just to get drinks. The 2nd round of drinks sat at the bar (we could see them) for a long time too. However, our waiter was delightful and intelligent and fun. I really just think he was doing his best but it was impossible to keep up. The lobster risotto was unreal! Liked the shrimp and grits and lobster thermador too. Appetizer of calimari was very interesting with lots of extras in it like a salad, including jalapeno, which wasn't too spicy.Special Features:
- AverageSDEaterDined on 10/3/2014Went to eat during restaurant week. Ceviche was pretty good, salmon dish was totally average, seafood was panseared and not grilled and unseasoned. I would have thought a seafood restaurant would have had amazing sea food but I thought it was extremely overpriced and just average. Had chocolate torte for dessert, not sure what they were going for but was an extremely dry brownie type thing, totally underwhelming, my guess is dessert was not their strength either, people should avoid this overhyped and overpriced restaurant.
- forgot to check me in?charlieVIPDined on 10/2/2014how could they forget to check me in as an open table member - but they did, I called them the next day and they fixed it. early dinner at end of restaurant week; 3 courses $35. lettuce wedge with bacon, egg and dressing, cool/refreshing, companion had ceviche, good. entree: mine shrimps and grits: shrimp excellent, he had fish and chips: the largest piece of fish i have ever seen! not sure if i got the raves over the chips tho? good but not great. dessert time: i had the pear crumb, nice, skip the granola. he had the almond brownie, well not sure what it was but it looked a lot like a brownie. overall too much food on a hot night but it's a good try out if you hadn't been there before. and they run specials every night they are open.Special Features:
- A Tasty FindTastyGoodnessLoverDined on 10/1/2014Found this place on the list for restaurant week. I'm so glad we decided to try it. I ordered the Local Tuna Sashimi for an appetizer and Citrus Marinated Skirt Steak for my entree. The food was in a word SCRUMPDILLYUMPTIOUS! From the food to the ambiance and the staff, this place was definitely a great find. I will definitely recommend Fish Public. So good!Special Features:
- Fine Fish FarejenniferaDined on 9/27/2014Dined with two friends one who said the fish and chips was the best she's ever had. I had fish tacos that were outstanding. Service was good albeit a tad slow but it was a Sat night. Will definitely go back as it's hard to find really well prepared fish in SD.Special Features:
- Where's my food?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014Two tables sat after mine and got their apps and entrees before my table got our apps. The food I did see looked good thoSpecial Features:
- Eye off the ball?TFK3VIPDined on 9/21/2014Perhaps attention is on the company's other new restaurant openings? Food was hit or miss. Oysters shucked in advance? Timing was completely off. Poor check backs.
- Great seafood in Kensington!CandVDined on 9/19/2014Finally took the time to walk down to Fish Public for happy hour and so glad we did! Ambience is nautical and inviting, which is a vast improvement over its predecessor. Angel was our server and was phenomenal! Had the fish and chips and a wedge salad with shrimp. Divine and priced right during happy hour. We have discovered our new favorite in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Urbane but Casual FindPickyNickDined on 9/18/2014Dinners we could taste without being overwhelmed by excessive seasoning and precious presentation. Attentive, cordial service. Pop music for adults but too loud, as is the ambiance for dinner, but music and ambiance are great for bar and snacks. Perhaps a just few bucks too expensive for Kensington but cheap in San Francisco, which is where you'd expect to find this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as I'd hopedMrBigStuffDined on 9/14/2014Saw Fish Public had more than 4 stars so had high expectations. Got the salmon but thought it was a bit dry and not especially flavorful. Also it was hot outside and when they didn't crank up the AC I wound up sweating. Kind of an interesting ambiance but don't think I'll be going back.Special Features:
- new chef improves experiencesEGS1VIPDined on 9/12/2014Recent change in the kitchen seems to be helping with more creative menu options and better quality food preparation. A cornerstone restaurant for the neighborhood of Kensington, this is a welcome sign of improvement, as I wish to support FP and Tracy Borkum's ventures. Mussels came with a very interesing broth/sauce. The calamari salad is not quite what the KG menu offered, so long time patrons may find this misleading...it's good but not at all the same recipe, which many of us still miss. Easily returned, if FP will consider. The best menu item: the whole roasted fish. Not offered on all menus, when made well, this is a real treat for foodies, and FP does this dish really really well. Happy to be returning to FP for dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food, cute decor!AdamDined on 9/6/2014We've been to this place 4 times now and the food is always on point. The mussels are amazing in a curry like sauce. The ambiance is very nautical and very suitable for large parties. They could increase the lighting wattage though. It is always a little too dark and you need to use your iPhone flashlight to read the menu. Overall this placed is supberb and a hidden gem in the charming kensington neighborhood!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow--the Fish!NTanakaDined on 9/6/2014Tried 3 fish dishes, all were excellent. The seared opah was the best we've ever had--super-fresh and well-prepared. We initially requested the Asian slaw, but the waiter steered us to the calamari, which rests on a bed of slaw. He was right--plenty of slaw, with the calamari more a garnish. The calamari was really crispy on the outside, tender inside, so perfect. We're definitely going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Award winning cuisine!PattDined on 9/5/2014Thank you "Chef Jeff" for the superb Grouper and your half price Friday Fish & Chips. The meal was topped off with two creative desserts that were polished off by our party of three in record time. Staff is congenial and made the evening fun. Oh, did I mention Sangria?!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- normalheightswayneDined on 8/31/2014The food was very good, our table of 4 ordered 4 different entrees and shared. I ordered the Asian slaw and did not like it: the mint did not belong in it. Ambiance was good, noise level was energetic. The (high)chairs at the inside tables are not very comfortable. I'm 6 ft and could not put my feet on the floor, not good for someone with a bad back.Special Features:
- Out of everything...OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014Was excited to try lobster roll and oysters...came at 6pm and they were already out of oysters, lobster rolls, instead of yellowtail had maui and were out of Ninkasi...which was the beer I was looking most forward to. So...pretty much only when we sat down did they tell us about half the menu was out, which was a total bummer. I feel like they should do their shopping better. But, I would go back to get those things because everything else was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great place to eat.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Under the guidance of my very-knowledgeable foodie pals, I had a great meal at Fish Public. The server was very helpful and attentive, the wine was delicious, the food was superbly prepared, and sitting outside was lovely. I highly recommend the whole-roasted fish with the Sauvignon Blanc.Special Features:
- Great Restauant But Skip "Trivia"OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014We enjoyed sitting outside on a lovely summer evening and wanted to enjoy dinner and conversation with our out-of-town guest. The only complaint I have, and it effects whether or not I return, was the extremely annoying game of "Trivia" that was blaring through the speaker system. We requested that it be turned down, which it was, but it continued to remain a continuing annoyance throughout the evening. If I want to listen to a game show I can stay home and watch TV!Special Features:
- good but left poor and hungryfud4thotDined on 8/24/2014The food was prepared well but not especially remarkable, especially considering the price and portion size. I guess that comes with being in an expensive. The $15 octopus was nice and tender but as my date said, "Where are the other seven legs?" The $25 black cod was tasty but again, just a few ounces of fish with two baby clams and three mussels in the broth. If you want black cod that makes you think you just tasted heaven, go to Wa Dining OKAN and you won't walk out hungry either. Service, on the other hand, was outstanding. Attentive without being overbearing, knowledgeable about the menu, pleasant personality.Special Features:
- Kensington GEM!MikeHodges37VIPDined on 8/22/2014This restaurant was very pleasant and upscale in design, service and cuisine. The Chef uses Seafood in unique ways such as Grits & Shrimp. The Fish & Chips was great, oysters, sashima, and ceviche were perfect. The home made slaw was delicious and a little different. Restaurant has a cute nautical decor and unique use of votive candles. Not too pricey. Cocktails excellent and unique as was the dessert. Location in Kensington neighborhood and worth the drive.Special Features:
- Not enough waitersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Food is great. Wait staff very friendly but excruciating slow service. Simply not enough waiters on the floor.
- A fine eveningPointDined on 8/17/2014Four of us had excellent meals at Fish Public. I had the salmon which done perfectly and very tasty. My wife enjoyed the mixed grill - beef, lamb, sausage, and shrimp. Andy had the fish of the day served as whole fish and he loved it. Mary also had the salmon. The wait staff was attentive but not obtrusive. They also brought my wife more beef feeling that it was slightly overdone for how she ordered it. That was a very nice thing that is often overlooked at other restaurants. The berry hand pie was shared for desert and we would all order it again. I will be back to dine again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- $1 Oyster NightWeezerDined on 8/17/2014A group of us went Sunday night for $1 Oysters and had a fabulous appetizer as well. Drinks we're great, service was awesome. We'll totally be back!Special Features:
- s in tierrasanta251989Dined on 8/16/2014food was great, the service great. Love the décor. First visit and our party of 5 all loved it. We will return.Special Features:
- We will be returningSondramoeDined on 8/15/2014Fish Public's atmosphere was great, it wasn't too loud or too crowded. Our server was attentive and friendly. We had a great dinning experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food live musicBiweeklyDinerVIPDined on 8/7/2014We went on a Thursday night at 7:45 p.m. and they had a guitar vocalist performing. He was good, however, when you have an amplified entertainer some of the guests are not aware that they are shouting to be heard. When the entertainer takes a break they keep talking at that high level. We sat next to a group of friends and they had a loud talker who was blasting us out for the whole meal. Marred, what would have otherwise been a delightful experience. I would have asked them to use their "inside voice", but from past experience most people get defensive, no matter how politely you ask.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not joking when they say fishAcilibertoDined on 8/2/2014This is the greatest fish restaurant I've been to in San Diego. The 'fish sticks' we ordered for my son were made with fresh tuna! The oysters were impeccable. Black cod was delicious. Portions are generous and atmosphere is comfortable. We will be going back.Special Features:
- A different spin on fresh fishOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/1/2014We took my aunt here a few nights ago to try the place out. The menu has a good selection of items, and everything coming out of the kitchen looked fresh and good. Everything has a different flavor spin, don't be afraid of things that sound spicy because they are not too hot, just well flavored. The cocktails looked amazing, but I had a non alcoholic basil lemonade . My husband was thrilled that they served the Manzanita Gillespie Brown on tap as that is a favorite. We brought my aunt who was in shorts, but some people were dressed up, you would feel comfortable however you dressed. At the end of the meal if you have any leftovers, they give you a claim ticket and leave your leftovers with the hostess to pick up on the way out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Fish & ChipsdgadrienneDined on 8/1/2014Friday is the night to go for half off fish and chips. So crispy, so hot, so good! Service was good. Love the decor and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Notable as everLikegoodfoodDined on 8/1/2014New menu. The fried calamari appetizer was outstanding- hot/cold, crunchy/soft, tangy - a study of opposites. The designer cocktail called the Londoner w/basil, cuke and gin was most refreshing but on the expensive side at $10.00 not included in Happy Hour pricing. The lobster-crab roll was tasty - would have preferred it to be either lobster or crab vs combo. The FP burger tasted good but don't know if would order again.Special Features:
- Does not disappointOnditVIPDined on 7/31/2014We moved to Kensington a year ago and since have been to Fish Public several times. Every time, the service is great. The menu fresh and innovative and the food delicious. We also love their martinis. We know that when we go there, we are in for a wonderful time.Special Features:
- Good food and GREAT music!SmilingsmyfavoriteDined on 7/31/2014Go on a Thursday night to enjoy the live music and oyster/beer specials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service great, food not so greatStuinSDVIPDined on 7/30/2014one friend had octopus tacos.. said it was just ok. another friend had the fish tacos... said it was just ok.... i had the seafood bouillabaisse and it was tasteless ..quite disappointing.... so overall the food was not good but i will add the presentation was very nice... and the service was excellent. sadly this was my third time here and probably won't go back....Special Features:
- Great PlaceOfishonadoDined on 7/25/2014Excellent food and service. The oysters were delicious and the fish stew which was made without tomato was excellent. The only drawback was that the patio was on Adams Avenue which made for considerable noise.I would recommend this to a friend.