700 Cannery Row
Monterey, CA 93940Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://fishhopper.com/monterey/
- Phone: 8313728543x
- Hours of Operation:
Open Daily:11:00am - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Mohammed Tabib
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant offers numerous private party configurations all of which offer spectacular ocean views. We can accommodate almost any size party. The Fish Hopper offers off site catering of any size along with special events at many of our off site facilities.
- Private Party Contact: Candice McMeans 831-372-2406x
- Special Events: The FishHopper can accommodate any size party for your next special event. Please contact our banquet coordinator Marcus Edwards.
- Cross Street: Prescott Street
- Public Transit: Cannery Row has free trolley service from various locations on the Monterey Peninsula with stops directly in front of the restaurant. There is also the normal public bus system which a stop within a short distance of the restaurant.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Cannery Row has numerous private parking lots as well as on-street parking.
A word from Fish Hopper
Experience the beauty of the Pacific Ocean, combined with world class dining on historic Cannery Row within walking distance to the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Newly renovated, The Fish Hopper, once an original sardine cannery building, offers spectacular views of the beautiful Monterey Bay from every table including our heated outdoor patio. The Fish Hopper specializes in fresh sustainable seafood, certified Angus beef, pastas and live shellfish. Our seafood is either locally caught or shipped in fresh daily; our produce is locally grown in the Salinas Valley. Some favorites are fresh Monterey Bay abalone, Macadamia-crusted halibut, our famous “Tomahawk Chop” long bone-in Rib Eye, or fresh Dungeness Crab. Start your meal with our famous award-winning clam chowder. Indulge in one of our many exotic cocktail creations or enjoy a glass or bottle from our extensive wine collection. While enjoying your delicious meal, you can watch sea otters at play and even see the occasional whale.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Fish Hopper - Best Restaurants in Monterey ›
Fish Hopper reviews from OpenTable diners
132 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (117)special occasion (58)romantic (46)fit for foodies (42)great for lunch (38)great for outdoor dining (31)good for groups (31)kid-friendly (28)notable wine list (21)neighborhood gem (19)hot spot (18)great for brunch (11)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (7)Show More
- Awesome!dolphinsplash79Dined on 10/13/2014We had seating on the outdoor patio with a view of the ocean. There were fresh flowers and a candle on the table. The food was cooked perfectly and very delicious and the service was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food but very overpricedloveitalian711Dined on 10/12/2014We ate lunch here and the view was nice, service was good, but the food was quite overpriced for what we received.Special Features:
- Anniversary meal successOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/11/2014My wife and I have celebrated a few anniversary dinners here and once again, had a really nice time. Good service and food, nice view, and fun atmosphere. We will return.Special Features:
- Cannery Row's Finestluv2eatwellDined on 10/5/2014Took our friends from Canada to Fish Hopper for a Sunday evening dinner. From lobster tail to sand dabs to creme brulee and chocolate mousse, every morsel was delicious!! We arrived 20 minutes early for our reservation, but were told if we were willing to wait 10 more minutes, we would be given a window table overlooking the Monterey Bay. We only had to wait 5 minutes!! Such a treat for our Canadian friends. Our server was awesome, knew about each dish and answered our questions thoroughly and patiently. Would highly recommend a visit to this restaurant if you are in Monterey. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Great ViewSnowbirdVIPDined on 10/3/2014View is difficult to beat; however, the food was very mediocre.Special Features:
- Fish Hopper is a must!vegasladyDined on 9/25/2014Excellent views, great service, and deliciously prepared seafood dishes! A special surprise awaits you if it is a birthday or other special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food all the time scenic viewRoachmanDined on 9/21/2014Always great food service and atmosphere!! Never disappoints, will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great never a dissapointmentduffyDined on 9/20/2014One thing about this place is that the staff and food are always great. We have been there five times all without complaintSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful view and Delicious foodViniciusDined on 9/19/2014Thumbs up!!! The Tuna Albacore was amazing, I also recommend the prawns appetizer...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DjohnsonEatspecialistDined on 9/18/2014The food (we had the Sandabs) was amazing. I especially liked the way it was prepared. It was not greasy, but light and seasoned perfectly. Thank you for a delightful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful MealTravelerDined on 9/18/2014We had a wonderful meal and the service was great. We had a table outside and watch the waves roll in. It was the perfect Monterey dinner experience.Special Features:
- bushwackerDined on 9/18/2014Food is always great as is service. When we are in PG we always come here one nightSpecial Features:
- Restaurants on the ends of piersDrScottDined on 9/18/2014Usually restaurants on the ends of piers in tourist areas are places to avoid. The Fish Hopper is a happy departure from the rule. Our waiter Dino had his hands full with about 6 tables, one of which was a group of senior women having trouble deciding what wine to order. But the story here is the food, from bacon-wrapped scallops, to Ceasar salad, to macadamia crusted halibut to shrimp fettuccini Alfredo, all of it terrific. There were no clunkers in any of the orders. Even the deserts were better than average. When you factor in the unubstucted views of the Monterey Bay, the Fish Hopper is a sure thing, and requiring me to revise my views of restaurants at the ends of piers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special treat for localsHappyLocalHostDined on 9/17/2014I once again took out-of-town guests to my favorite restaurant on a Locals Night. They were very pleased with the choices and the good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatest seafood on the peninsula!bug711Dined on 9/13/2014This is arguably one of my favorite restaurants in the area. Certainly perfect for a special occasion without being overly stuffy like many other places in Monterey/Carmel. The bar and wine menus are amazing. I've been coming here for years and the service is always fantastic and the food always exceeds expectations. This is a MUST for any out-of-towners looking for a seafood restaurant with an amazing icean view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Lunch at Fish HopperElleNY44Dined on 9/6/2014My husband I arrived to Fish Hopper to receive a table with an amazing view. The service was impeccable and the food was delicious. The Macadamia Nut Crusted Halibut is my favorite entree and be sure to get a cup of the delicious clam chowder. We were lucky enough to have a table with a view of Monterey Bay and even had several sea lions sunning themselves on the rocks right outside the window. I would highly recommend visiting this restaurant when in the Monterey area. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Excellent choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014Locatoin is very good. It has a great view for the ones who like sea environment. We can see a variety of marine life while having great tasty food. The service was perfect in terms of friendly approach, effective and fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TaylorDined on 9/6/2014It was a great time. Everyone was accommodating for our large group, very friendly. We were on a retreat and, like last year, we chose Fish Hopper again as our lunch spot. Truly enjoyed ourselves and hope to go again same time next year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- franDined on 9/4/2014We enjoyed our first meal here and came back again! We come to town 3 times year and so far 2 out of 3 visits we had a nice dinner here!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch was excellent.FulfilledDined on 8/30/2014My party of four really enjoy the food and the scenic views of the Monterey Bay. A beautiful day with plenty of sunshine. I made my reservations on line and requested a table with a view. The restaurant was very busy when we arrived, we were not disappointed, we had panoramic views. The food enhanced our experience. I had the appetizer of mussels in a white wine sauce that was among the best I have ever had. My friends enjoyed their salmon burgers and the clam chowder and were equally fulfilled. We were never hurried by the wait staff, even though we were there at the busiest time of the lunch hours. We were very comfortable and our lunch experienced lasted well over an hour!Special Features:
- Great food! Great service!GoodfoodDined on 8/29/2014Food was great. Great portions. Sangria was very weak. Great service by wait staff. Wonderful view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food & great view!BeachBumDined on 8/24/2014This was the first (and not the last) visit my husband & I ever came to the restaurant, and I am very happy we did. We made out yearly trip to Monterey and I wanted to make sure we ate some place we've never tried before. I looked online around different locations and finally came across this one and it just stuck me. The menu was different and the view was magnificent. I made reservations online, which was simple and easy. After getting to the restaurant, we were seated within 2 minutes and as I requested on the reservations, we were seated over looking the water outside. The food was wonderful, the waiter was attentive and the view was great! I will recommend this place to everyone I know!Special Features:
- Just Like We RememberedjudodannoDined on 8/23/2014We were lucky enough to get a lunch reservation, and we enjoyed everything about the Fish Hopper in Monterey. We had eaten at the Fish Hopper in Kona, Hawaii many times, so were really looking forward to our visit here. The food was amazing, the service great, & the views were unbelievable.Special Features:
- Great Family Night OutJeffDined on 8/22/2014We were on vacation and read about the Fish Hopper on Trip Advisor. When we arrived, they offered us a sample of the Clam chowder. It was thick, rich and some of the best clam chowder I had. Two of our kids are picky eaters, but the restaurant had cheese pizza, chicken tenders and shrimp poppers. That kept the kids happy. My daughter got the clam chowder bread bowl. My wife got the Macadamia nut-crusted halibut which she really loved. I got the Lobster stuffed with crab and shrimp. I really enjoyed it. Overall, it was a great night out for the family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish HopperEsticDined on 8/21/2014Location is great, right on Cannery Row and easy to find parking. The views were great and looked over the Monterey Bay. The food was okay and the waiter we had was a bit odd. We ordered our appetizer and drinks right away and finished deciding on our main entrees. We waited a decent amount of time before our waiter came back to take our order, so long that our appetizer came out to the table and we still did not have any water and our menus were still at the table. We ordered the Crab Stuffed Mushrooms as an appetizer and Crab Stuffed Sole with Spinach and Parmesan Crusted Sea Bass with Swiss Chard. The fish was bland and dry and there were way too many vegetables than necessary on the plate. I would not come back to this place again.Special Features:
- Great foodLAvisitorVIPDined on 8/20/2014Great food in a touristy spot. The service is superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodBt1973Dined on 8/19/2014The food was great and the service was outstanding. Cajun mahi-mahi had just the right amount of heat, without overpowering the fish. The skillet toll house brownie with ice cream wax the perfect ending to a great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodChillDined on 8/17/2014Nice location and good food, lovely table by the seaSpecial Features:
- Our Favorite on Cannery RowWaiterVIPDined on 8/15/2014Enjoyed an excellent dinner, and a very friendly staff. Ashley was a delightful hostess, and helped make our evening memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchChuckDined on 8/15/2014Food was excellent, service great and you can't beat the view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beautiful view, excellent foodmsviveatsDined on 8/11/2014Visiting from out of town, checking out local seafood offerings, we chose The Fish Hopper for a late dinner. Easy to get a table online, preview the menu, and locate the restaurant. We were well attended by our server who added postively to our experience. Incredible views of the bay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great option for tourist stripSussexWolfDined on 8/10/2014We had one night left and wanted to eat seafront. Having read reviews, we tried Fish Hopper and were pleased with the location right on the bay, the freshness of the food, and the excellent service. We booked a table before leaving the hotel, which saved having to wait to be seated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnermw2014Dined on 8/10/2014The food was excellent and our waitress took great care of us. Excellent place and would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful in a restaurantkarley18Dined on 8/8/2014Our server was fabulous and she gave us her attention constantly and made us feel very welcome and taken care of. The food (I had the bacon wrapped scallops and surf and turf) was cooked perfectly and tasted wonderful the flavor of the meat was great and the lobster was nicely cooked. The scallops were tender and the bacon gave a nice flavor and the bean stew that it was placed on tasted great with the scallops. Over all it was a great dinner, with great service, and a great view. No complaints here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlacesaxoDined on 8/5/2014Good food in a nice setting with a discounted wine list based on the time of the daySpecial Features:
- UnderwhelmedMAggi27Dined on 8/5/2014We loved the location of the restaurant and the view, the hostess' were attentive and kind and our waitress was wonderful. Our praise stops there, the dishes were dirty and we noticed at least one other couple observing their plate ware with concern. The food was over seasoned, and the lighting was so dim we had difficulty seeing our food. We acknowledge that these issues may sound "nit picky" and usually we would not even bother with posting concerns, however we paid nearly two hundred dollars for our meal and we feel that the restaurant owners should know that two customers have walked away from the experience moderately dissatisfied and not intending to return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/4/2014We have been coming here annually for over 10 years (with and without kids), and it has never disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Views, Entrees DisappointRetirees2Dined on 7/31/2014Anniversary dinner. A table with a nice harbor view. Waitperson was very attentive. Fried artichoke app was quite tasty. Entrees arrived too quickly. Macadamia crusted halibut covered in a lemon butter sauce killing any chance of tasting the fish. Served over sautéed veggies in a very sweet, Asian sauce, the poor fish didn't stand a chance. One unsauced corner seemed pretty good and seemed to be halibut. Spouse's medium rare prime rib was fatty and the center was stone cold on arrival. The accompanying shrimp, were over and a bit rubbery. A complimentary decadent brownie and ice cream reduced the sting a bit. She had an exotic drink and thoroughly enjoyed it. Go for the view, drinks, appetizers and desert, and attentive service.Special Features:
- DisappointedNoelCVIPDined on 7/31/2014Was super excited to celebrate my son's birthday there drove three hours to have dinner, appetizers were ok, entrees very bland orders were taken incorrectly had to wait longer for food to come out. For the price it just wasn't worth it. Let restaurant know it was my sons birthday and was a little let down that he wasn't offered a kids birthday ice cream or anything of that sort.Special Features:
- Wonderful!kelawDined on 7/29/2014We were a group of 8... 5 adults and 3 kids. We had reservations and were quickly seated with a wonderful view of the bay. The kids enjoyed watching the otters from the table. A few of the adults ordered the roasted halibut and prawns and couldn't stop raving about how delicious their meals were. The kids loved the pasta. We also enjoyed the variety of desserts. Service was excellent! We would definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.