700 Cannery Row
Monterey, CA 93940Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://fishhopper.com/monterey/
- Phone: (831) 372-8543
- Hours of Operation:
Open Daily:11:00am - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Mohammed Tabib
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant offers numerous private party configurations all of which offer spectacular ocean views. We can accommodate almost any size party. The Fish Hopper offers off site catering of any size along with special events at many of our off site facilities.
- Private Party Contact: Candice McMeans 831-372-2406x
- Special Events: The FishHopper can accommodate any size party for your next special event. Please contact our banquet coordinator Marcus Edwards.
- Cross Street: Prescott Street
- Public Transit: Cannery Row has free trolley service from various locations on the Monterey Peninsula with stops directly in front of the restaurant. There is also the normal public bus system which a stop within a short distance of the restaurant.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Cannery Row has numerous private parking lots as well as on-street parking.
A word from Fish Hopper
Experience the beauty of the Pacific Ocean, combined with world class dining on historic Cannery Row within walking distance to the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Newly renovated, The Fish Hopper, once an original sardine cannery building, offers spectacular views of the beautiful Monterey Bay from every table including our heated outdoor patio. The Fish Hopper specializes in fresh sustainable seafood, certified Angus beef, pastas and live shellfish. Our seafood is either locally caught or shipped in fresh daily; our produce is locally grown in the Salinas Valley. Some favorites are fresh Monterey Bay abalone, Macadamia-crusted halibut, our famous “Tomahawk Chop” long bone-in Rib Eye, or fresh Dungeness Crab. Start your meal with our famous award-winning clam chowder. Indulge in one of our many exotic cocktail creations or enjoy a glass or bottle from our extensive wine collection. While enjoying your delicious meal, you can watch sea otters at play and even see the occasional whale.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Fish Hopper - Best Restaurants in Monterey ›
Fish Hopper reviews from OpenTable diners
118 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (103)special occasion (48)fit for foodies (37)romantic (36)great for lunch (34)good for groups (27)kid-friendly (25)great for outdoor dining (24)notable wine list (17)neighborhood gem (16)hot spot (15)great for brunch (10)late-night find (10)vibrant bar scene (9)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/16/2014Was a bit loud for us. I have been to Fish Hopper several times with out of town guests and been a good experience. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great views, Great service!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/15/2014I took my boyfriend out to dinner here for his birthday. We were seating right by the window just as requested and our server, Emily, was wonderful! They also gave him a complimentary dessert dish with a candle. It couldn't have been more special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nightout69Dined on 11/14/2014The view from l tables were great over seeing the bay. The food selection was large and the food itself was very goo. Service was good and did not take to long.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and wait staff were goodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/9/2014The food and wait staff were good. The only issue we had was with the hostess. Being that that are just steps from the Monterey bay aquarium you would think they would invite kids in. This was not the case at the fish hopper. We requested a table in a specific area which sits over the water. When we checked in the hostess told us "we do not sit kids in that section". Even though we always request the same area and we always have our kids with us. We complained a bit and the the hostess said " ok I will sit you there but I dont want to hear a peep out of your kids". In a every rude tone. If the food wasn't good we would have walked but we were hungry so we decided to stay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014Thank you making my anniversary dinner perfect your staff was great and booking reservations was so easy I even got the window view that I requestedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant lunchingBruceCDined on 11/8/2014Our party of four was seated promptly with a bayside view. Wait staff was courteous and efficient. Food was well presented and delightful. Our waiter's recommendations were spot-on. The place was really hopping on a sunny Saturday afternoon! A good choice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find in MontereyMaureenVIPDined on 11/2/2014What a wonderful experience we had at this restaurant. Dining with my dad we shared the calamari and artichoke appetizer and it was delicious. For dinner we had fish. Also excellent. The servers were so great because we had wanted to get to a winery on the trip but ran out of time. They were so nice to let me purchase a bottle. Would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone in this areaSpecial Features:
- Great food snd great locationCBranchVIPDined on 11/1/2014I was impressed with a tourist type restaurant gaving such good food. Very nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't eat here - bad company policyLRagsdale48VIPDined on 11/1/2014This restaurant is owned by the same people / corporation that owns Old Fisherman's Grotto on Fisherman's Wharf. Had I known that I would have never gone to this restaurant. Old Fisherman's Grotto has a sign out front telling you that children are unwelcome (for various reasons). While I personally never let my children act up when we were out in public, to have a sign that says children that do act up are unwelcome is offensive. What if the child had a disability that was uncontrollable???Special Features:
- Very good.ArbormacDined on 10/25/2014We had a nice time eating dinner. Was a little worried it may be a tourist trap but the food was good and the service was great. We don't drink so I can't comment about the wine selection, but even though we didn't drink they still treated us great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- location, location, locationOCtravelerDined on 10/25/2014Bright and cheerful staff, the room is upscale and has beautiful lighting that is from a local artists, the menu is complete enough to suit most everyone's taste and our abalone, shrimp and scallop combination plate was cooked to perfection. You cannot beat the view of the bay, we most certainly are looking forward to our next trip north for another visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014We all enjoyed our very tasty dinners on Saturday night. The salmon and sea bass were spectacular. The presentation was lovely and the flavors were tingly. Comfortable seating on the semi-outside balcony. Protected from the slight wind, comfortable and able to enjoy the lovely view. Service was swift, informed and very pleasant. Sorry i Don't remember the names but everyone was great. Thanks! And then the Giants won!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful!!!!302003dinerDined on 10/20/2014Great service and GREAT food. It was really busy and it was a Monday but our waiter took the time and we always have drinks full. Will come back again if we are in gownSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!dolphinsplash79Dined on 10/13/2014We had seating on the outdoor patio with a view of the ocean. There were fresh flowers and a candle on the table. The food was cooked perfectly and very delicious and the service was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food but very overpricedloveitalian711Dined on 10/12/2014We ate lunch here and the view was nice, service was good, but the food was quite overpriced for what we received.Special Features:
- Anniversary meal successOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/11/2014My wife and I have celebrated a few anniversary dinners here and once again, had a really nice time. Good service and food, nice view, and fun atmosphere. We will return.Special Features:
- Cannery Row's Finestluv2eatwellDined on 10/5/2014Took our friends from Canada to Fish Hopper for a Sunday evening dinner. From lobster tail to sand dabs to creme brulee and chocolate mousse, every morsel was delicious!! We arrived 20 minutes early for our reservation, but were told if we were willing to wait 10 more minutes, we would be given a window table overlooking the Monterey Bay. We only had to wait 5 minutes!! Such a treat for our Canadian friends. Our server was awesome, knew about each dish and answered our questions thoroughly and patiently. Would highly recommend a visit to this restaurant if you are in Monterey. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Great ViewSnowbirdVIPDined on 10/3/2014View is difficult to beat; however, the food was very mediocre.Special Features:
- Fish Hopper is a must!vegasladyDined on 9/25/2014Excellent views, great service, and deliciously prepared seafood dishes! A special surprise awaits you if it is a birthday or other special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food all the time scenic viewRoachmanDined on 9/21/2014Always great food service and atmosphere!! Never disappoints, will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great never a dissapointmentduffyDined on 9/20/2014One thing about this place is that the staff and food are always great. We have been there five times all without complaintSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful view and Delicious foodViniciusDined on 9/19/2014Thumbs up!!! The Tuna Albacore was amazing, I also recommend the prawns appetizer...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DjohnsonEatspecialistDined on 9/18/2014The food (we had the Sandabs) was amazing. I especially liked the way it was prepared. It was not greasy, but light and seasoned perfectly. Thank you for a delightful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful MealTravelerDined on 9/18/2014We had a wonderful meal and the service was great. We had a table outside and watch the waves roll in. It was the perfect Monterey dinner experience.Special Features:
- bushwackerDined on 9/18/2014Food is always great as is service. When we are in PG we always come here one nightSpecial Features:
- Restaurants on the ends of piersDrScottDined on 9/18/2014Usually restaurants on the ends of piers in tourist areas are places to avoid. The Fish Hopper is a happy departure from the rule. Our waiter Dino had his hands full with about 6 tables, one of which was a group of senior women having trouble deciding what wine to order. But the story here is the food, from bacon-wrapped scallops, to Ceasar salad, to macadamia crusted halibut to shrimp fettuccini Alfredo, all of it terrific. There were no clunkers in any of the orders. Even the deserts were better than average. When you factor in the unubstucted views of the Monterey Bay, the Fish Hopper is a sure thing, and requiring me to revise my views of restaurants at the ends of piers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special treat for localsHappyLocalHostDined on 9/17/2014I once again took out-of-town guests to my favorite restaurant on a Locals Night. They were very pleased with the choices and the good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatest seafood on the peninsula!bug711Dined on 9/13/2014This is arguably one of my favorite restaurants in the area. Certainly perfect for a special occasion without being overly stuffy like many other places in Monterey/Carmel. The bar and wine menus are amazing. I've been coming here for years and the service is always fantastic and the food always exceeds expectations. This is a MUST for any out-of-towners looking for a seafood restaurant with an amazing icean view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Lunch at Fish HopperElleNY44Dined on 9/6/2014My husband I arrived to Fish Hopper to receive a table with an amazing view. The service was impeccable and the food was delicious. The Macadamia Nut Crusted Halibut is my favorite entree and be sure to get a cup of the delicious clam chowder. We were lucky enough to have a table with a view of Monterey Bay and even had several sea lions sunning themselves on the rocks right outside the window. I would highly recommend visiting this restaurant when in the Monterey area. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Excellent choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014Locatoin is very good. It has a great view for the ones who like sea environment. We can see a variety of marine life while having great tasty food. The service was perfect in terms of friendly approach, effective and fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TaylorDined on 9/6/2014It was a great time. Everyone was accommodating for our large group, very friendly. We were on a retreat and, like last year, we chose Fish Hopper again as our lunch spot. Truly enjoyed ourselves and hope to go again same time next year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- franDined on 9/4/2014We enjoyed our first meal here and came back again! We come to town 3 times year and so far 2 out of 3 visits we had a nice dinner here!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- View!ASJoelDined on 8/31/2014The food is good but what you really pay for is the view which is amazing!Special Features:
- Lunch was excellent.FulfilledDined on 8/30/2014My party of four really enjoy the food and the scenic views of the Monterey Bay. A beautiful day with plenty of sunshine. I made my reservations on line and requested a table with a view. The restaurant was very busy when we arrived, we were not disappointed, we had panoramic views. The food enhanced our experience. I had the appetizer of mussels in a white wine sauce that was among the best I have ever had. My friends enjoyed their salmon burgers and the clam chowder and were equally fulfilled. We were never hurried by the wait staff, even though we were there at the busiest time of the lunch hours. We were very comfortable and our lunch experienced lasted well over an hour!Special Features:
- Great food! Great service!GoodfoodDined on 8/29/2014Food was great. Great portions. Sangria was very weak. Great service by wait staff. Wonderful view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food & great view!BeachBumDined on 8/24/2014This was the first (and not the last) visit my husband & I ever came to the restaurant, and I am very happy we did. We made out yearly trip to Monterey and I wanted to make sure we ate some place we've never tried before. I looked online around different locations and finally came across this one and it just stuck me. The menu was different and the view was magnificent. I made reservations online, which was simple and easy. After getting to the restaurant, we were seated within 2 minutes and as I requested on the reservations, we were seated over looking the water outside. The food was wonderful, the waiter was attentive and the view was great! I will recommend this place to everyone I know!Special Features:
- Just Like We RememberedjudodannoDined on 8/23/2014We were lucky enough to get a lunch reservation, and we enjoyed everything about the Fish Hopper in Monterey. We had eaten at the Fish Hopper in Kona, Hawaii many times, so were really looking forward to our visit here. The food was amazing, the service great, & the views were unbelievable.Special Features:
- Great Family Night OutJeffDined on 8/22/2014We were on vacation and read about the Fish Hopper on Trip Advisor. When we arrived, they offered us a sample of the Clam chowder. It was thick, rich and some of the best clam chowder I had. Two of our kids are picky eaters, but the restaurant had cheese pizza, chicken tenders and shrimp poppers. That kept the kids happy. My daughter got the clam chowder bread bowl. My wife got the Macadamia nut-crusted halibut which she really loved. I got the Lobster stuffed with crab and shrimp. I really enjoyed it. Overall, it was a great night out for the family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish HopperEsticDined on 8/21/2014Location is great, right on Cannery Row and easy to find parking. The views were great and looked over the Monterey Bay. The food was okay and the waiter we had was a bit odd. We ordered our appetizer and drinks right away and finished deciding on our main entrees. We waited a decent amount of time before our waiter came back to take our order, so long that our appetizer came out to the table and we still did not have any water and our menus were still at the table. We ordered the Crab Stuffed Mushrooms as an appetizer and Crab Stuffed Sole with Spinach and Parmesan Crusted Sea Bass with Swiss Chard. The fish was bland and dry and there were way too many vegetables than necessary on the plate. I would not come back to this place again.Special Features:
- Great foodLAvisitorVIPDined on 8/20/2014Great food in a touristy spot. The service is superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.