700 Cannery Row
Monterey, CA 93940Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://fishhopper.com/monterey/
- Phone: 8313728543x
- Hours of Operation:
Open Daily:11:00am - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Mohammed Tabib
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant offers numerous private party configurations all of which offer spectacular ocean views. We can accommodate almost any size party. The Fish Hopper offers off site catering of any size along with special events at many of our off site facilities.
- Private Party Contact: Candice McMeans 831-372-2406x
- Special Events: The FishHopper can accommodate any size party for your next special event. Please contact our banquet coordinator Marcus Edwards.
- Cross Street: Prescott Street
- Public Transit: Cannery Row has free trolley service from various locations on the Monterey Peninsula with stops directly in front of the restaurant. There is also the normal public bus system which a stop within a short distance of the restaurant.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Cannery Row has numerous private parking lots as well as on-street parking.
A word from Fish Hopper
Experience the beauty of the Pacific Ocean, combined with world class dining on historic Cannery Row within walking distance to the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Newly renovated, The Fish Hopper, once an original sardine cannery building, offers spectacular views of the beautiful Monterey Bay from every table including our heated outdoor patio. The Fish Hopper specializes in fresh sustainable seafood, certified Angus beef, pastas and live shellfish. Our seafood is either locally caught or shipped in fresh daily; our produce is locally grown in the Salinas Valley. Some favorites are fresh Monterey Bay abalone, Macadamia-crusted halibut, our famous “Tomahawk Chop” long bone-in Rib Eye, or fresh Dungeness Crab. Start your meal with our famous award-winning clam chowder. Indulge in one of our many exotic cocktail creations or enjoy a glass or bottle from our extensive wine collection. While enjoying your delicious meal, you can watch sea otters at play and even see the occasional whale.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Fish Hopper - Best Restaurants in Monterey ›
Fish Hopper reviews from OpenTable diners
161 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (149)special occasion (78)romantic (58)great for lunch (52)fit for foodies (51)great for outdoor dining (44)good for groups (42)kid-friendly (39)notable wine list (27)neighborhood gem (20)hot spot (16)great for brunch (15)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (5)Show More
- Lunch was excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014My party of four really enjoy the food and the scenic views of the Monterey Bay. A beautiful day with plenty of sunshine. I made my reservations on line and requested a table with a view. The restaurant was very busy when we arrived, we were not disappointed, we had panoramic views. The food enhanced our experience. I had the appetizer of mussels in a white wine sauce that was among the best I have ever had. My friends enjoyed their salmon burgers and the clam chowder and were equally fulfilled. We were never hurried by the wait staff, even though we were there at the busiest time of the lunch hours. We were very comfortable and our lunch experienced lasted well over an hour!Special Features:
- Great food! Great service!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/29/2014Food was great. Great portions. Sangria was very weak. Great service by wait staff. Wonderful view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food & great view!BeachBumDined on 8/24/2014This was the first (and not the last) visit my husband & I ever came to the restaurant, and I am very happy we did. We made out yearly trip to Monterey and I wanted to make sure we ate some place we've never tried before. I looked online around different locations and finally came across this one and it just stuck me. The menu was different and the view was magnificent. I made reservations online, which was simple and easy. After getting to the restaurant, we were seated within 2 minutes and as I requested on the reservations, we were seated over looking the water outside. The food was wonderful, the waiter was attentive and the view was great! I will recommend this place to everyone I know!Special Features:
- Just Like We RememberedjudodannoDined on 8/23/2014We were lucky enough to get a lunch reservation, and we enjoyed everything about the Fish Hopper in Monterey. We had eaten at the Fish Hopper in Kona, Hawaii many times, so were really looking forward to our visit here. The food was amazing, the service great, & the views were unbelievable.Special Features:
- Great Family Night OutJeffDined on 8/22/2014We were on vacation and read about the Fish Hopper on Trip Advisor. When we arrived, they offered us a sample of the Clam chowder. It was thick, rich and some of the best clam chowder I had. Two of our kids are picky eaters, but the restaurant had cheese pizza, chicken tenders and shrimp poppers. That kept the kids happy. My daughter got the clam chowder bread bowl. My wife got the Macadamia nut-crusted halibut which she really loved. I got the Lobster stuffed with crab and shrimp. I really enjoyed it. Overall, it was a great night out for the family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish HopperEsticDined on 8/21/2014Location is great, right on Cannery Row and easy to find parking. The views were great and looked over the Monterey Bay. The food was okay and the waiter we had was a bit odd. We ordered our appetizer and drinks right away and finished deciding on our main entrees. We waited a decent amount of time before our waiter came back to take our order, so long that our appetizer came out to the table and we still did not have any water and our menus were still at the table. We ordered the Crab Stuffed Mushrooms as an appetizer and Crab Stuffed Sole with Spinach and Parmesan Crusted Sea Bass with Swiss Chard. The fish was bland and dry and there were way too many vegetables than necessary on the plate. I would not come back to this place again.Special Features:
- Great foodLAvisitorVIPDined on 8/20/2014Great food in a touristy spot. The service is superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodBt1973Dined on 8/19/2014The food was great and the service was outstanding. Cajun mahi-mahi had just the right amount of heat, without overpowering the fish. The skillet toll house brownie with ice cream wax the perfect ending to a great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodChillDined on 8/17/2014Nice location and good food, lovely table by the seaSpecial Features:
- Our Favorite on Cannery RowWaiterDined on 8/15/2014Enjoyed an excellent dinner, and a very friendly staff. Ashley was a delightful hostess, and helped make our evening memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchChuckDined on 8/15/2014Food was excellent, service great and you can't beat the view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beautiful view, excellent foodmsviveatsDined on 8/11/2014Visiting from out of town, checking out local seafood offerings, we chose The Fish Hopper for a late dinner. Easy to get a table online, preview the menu, and locate the restaurant. We were well attended by our server who added postively to our experience. Incredible views of the bay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great option for tourist stripSussexWolfDined on 8/10/2014We had one night left and wanted to eat seafront. Having read reviews, we tried Fish Hopper and were pleased with the location right on the bay, the freshness of the food, and the excellent service. We booked a table before leaving the hotel, which saved having to wait to be seated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnermw2014Dined on 8/10/2014The food was excellent and our waitress took great care of us. Excellent place and would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful in a restaurantkarley18Dined on 8/8/2014Our server was fabulous and she gave us her attention constantly and made us feel very welcome and taken care of. The food (I had the bacon wrapped scallops and surf and turf) was cooked perfectly and tasted wonderful the flavor of the meat was great and the lobster was nicely cooked. The scallops were tender and the bacon gave a nice flavor and the bean stew that it was placed on tasted great with the scallops. Over all it was a great dinner, with great service, and a great view. No complaints here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlacesaxoDined on 8/5/2014Good food in a nice setting with a discounted wine list based on the time of the daySpecial Features:
- UnderwhelmedMAggi27Dined on 8/5/2014We loved the location of the restaurant and the view, the hostess' were attentive and kind and our waitress was wonderful. Our praise stops there, the dishes were dirty and we noticed at least one other couple observing their plate ware with concern. The food was over seasoned, and the lighting was so dim we had difficulty seeing our food. We acknowledge that these issues may sound "nit picky" and usually we would not even bother with posting concerns, however we paid nearly two hundred dollars for our meal and we feel that the restaurant owners should know that two customers have walked away from the experience moderately dissatisfied and not intending to return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/4/2014We have been coming here annually for over 10 years (with and without kids), and it has never disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Views, Entrees DisappointRetirees2Dined on 7/31/2014Anniversary dinner. A table with a nice harbor view. Waitperson was very attentive. Fried artichoke app was quite tasty. Entrees arrived too quickly. Macadamia crusted halibut covered in a lemon butter sauce killing any chance of tasting the fish. Served over sautéed veggies in a very sweet, Asian sauce, the poor fish didn't stand a chance. One unsauced corner seemed pretty good and seemed to be halibut. Spouse's medium rare prime rib was fatty and the center was stone cold on arrival. The accompanying shrimp, were over and a bit rubbery. A complimentary decadent brownie and ice cream reduced the sting a bit. She had an exotic drink and thoroughly enjoyed it. Go for the view, drinks, appetizers and desert, and attentive service.Special Features:
- DisappointedNoelCDined on 7/31/2014Was super excited to celebrate my son's birthday there drove three hours to have dinner, appetizers were ok, entrees very bland orders were taken incorrectly had to wait longer for food to come out. For the price it just wasn't worth it. Let restaurant know it was my sons birthday and was a little let down that he wasn't offered a kids birthday ice cream or anything of that sort.Special Features:
- Wonderful!kelawDined on 7/29/2014We were a group of 8... 5 adults and 3 kids. We had reservations and were quickly seated with a wonderful view of the bay. The kids enjoyed watching the otters from the table. A few of the adults ordered the roasted halibut and prawns and couldn't stop raving about how delicious their meals were. The kids loved the pasta. We also enjoyed the variety of desserts. Service was excellent! We would definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Splendid viewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/28/2014Ever dinned in an aquarium - this is it. Were seated by the window - see-otters and seals floating by. And last but not least fresh and well prepared seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cannery Row Epicurean GemGabiDined on 7/25/2014Awesome view, good service, incredible food, the total package. First, we got our reservation through Open Table and requested window seating. We were greeted by friendly, courteous host staff, and given a great table overlooking the bay with a nice sea breeze and a quick greeting from our server. We ordered the gluten free calamari (not offered by server but online gluten free menu available). Outstanding! Followed our appetizer with halibut, lobster, crab entree, and blackened ahi. Everything was scrumptous! We finished off with chocolate lava cake. Wine and cocktails were just as delicious! We had great night and one of the best meals we have had in Monterey. Good prices, solid service, one of the best places on Cannery Row.Special Features:
- Great views of Monterey BayDWCakesVIPDined on 7/25/2014There are several restaurant options on the Wharf in Monterey, and pretty much all of them cater to tourists. Fish Hopper is no exception in that regard, but we were pleased with our seating and server, the wine list and food we ordered. It was fresh, well prepared and tasty. Next time we would likely want to try other places, but would definitely return in the future.Special Features:
- SAMScallopsnobDined on 7/23/2014We were on vacation with 2 teenagers and looking for a place that would entertain them and provide great food. We were not disappointed. We mostly order appetizers as we were not terribly hungry. Positives: The Best grilled artichoke I have ever had. Brushed with a sweet balsamic while grilled. I also had the bacon wrapped scallops with white beans. The scallops were perfect, My husband had clam chowder, which he liked, nothing special. Mussels and chicken got thumbs up from teens. The best part was that there were whales outside the restaurant( I know it doesn't happen everyday) but this made the whole dinner perfect. Negative: Our waiter started off by naming and explaining every special(twice the price and I can read).Special Features:
- Monterey Fish Hopper Reviewpilotfoodie24Dined on 7/22/2014The sight of the restaurant's take out-stand upon my entrance to the place was a bit off-putting, but I would go on to be throughly impressed throughout the remainder of the evening. The clam chowder had a remarkable consistency and was simply incredible. Although I do not prefer to eat fried fish, the fry on the sand dabs gave them a nice crunch to go along with a nice sauce it had on it. The maitre d' seated my family and I at the "best table in the house", but I'd be remiss if I did not mention the entire restaurant has spectacular views of Monterey Bay.Special Features:
- Birthday Dinner July 21, 2014SeafoodLoverDined on 7/21/2014The food was excellent and the ambience is outstanding, with excellent views of Monterey Bay. We loved the glass lights in the shape of Jelly fish. We did have one unfortunate mishap. We brought a birthday cake with an edible image on top to the restaurant. Our waitress took it to store in their refrigerator until after dinner. Somehow, the cake box got turned upside down so that the decoration on the top of the cake was ruined. Due to this mishap, the management at the Fish Hopper did not charge the cake cutting fee and gave us free ice cream. Despite this mishap, we will return to the Fish Hopper again next time we are in Monterey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in Cannery RowMcBabeDined on 7/20/2014We spent two nights in Cannery Row and this was by far the best restaurant that we ate at. My teenagers couldn't stop talking about it.Special Features:
- Fun place with good foodandrewDined on 7/19/2014Seated in the smarter restaurant side, which suited us. Good view out over the bay. Food was good, though the fish and chips was breaded rather than battered which was a big deal for my teenage daughter, but we could have checked before hand. Other meals were good.Special Features:
- Special occasion = special dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014The sommelier was knowledgeable & most entertaining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulCynthiaDined on 7/18/2014Wonderful as always! Thank you Mata for a very pleasant experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great servicemsfoodyDined on 7/17/2014Hugo was very personable and efficient. He kept our glasses full and treated us great. It was my daughter's birthday and he made it very special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food in a scenery placeeb69Dined on 7/14/2014Found on yelp and I must agree with the very good evaluations found there. Outstanding quality of the food, not only because of the quality of the ingredients but also because of the high level of the preparations. We had 3 different plates and the 3 of them were very innovative and worth the price. In addition all tables have a very good view on the bay. We could even observe sea lions just passing by.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/14/2014Delicious food great views of the bay friendly staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a very nice dinnerBrianDined on 7/14/2014We really enjoyed our dinner at Fish Hopper. The food was good, staff was attentive, and you can't beat the view!Special Features:
- Great food, service & ocean view!jKh5677Dined on 7/13/2014Went here this past weekend and the food was the best I have had in Monterey so far. I highly recommend the Fettucine Alfredo with prawns and the ultimate seafood pasta. The Grilled Artichoke appetizer was AMAZING! My whole family was very happy with our meals, cocktails, and of course dessert. Highly recommend if you want to splurge on spending a little bit more for high quality food and service while getting an amazing view of the Monterey Peninsula and open ocean.Special Features:
- LocalclaysDined on 7/11/2014loved locals day for lunch our waitress was perfect and added to our lunch.Special Features:
- livermorelilleyDined on 7/9/2014Crazy good clam chowder! Nice patio dining overlooking Monterey bay. Parking is tough, but what would you expect as the restaurant is on Cannery Row. Would rather go to the Fish Hopper in Kona, Hawaii--who wouldn't.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxed, casual diningBoardgrlDined on 7/8/2014Overall it was a great experience and the food was delicious, except for the clam chowder which had a heavy flour taste. My husband and I shared the artichoke appetizer and the crab legs and lobster dinner and both were delicious, even the mashed potatoes were excellent. Also a very nice, open and relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/6/2014We have gone to fish hopper many times over the last 40 yrs food and service has always been great This visit the food was good and service was not good ....our waiter named Craig was not attentive at all. We waited 10 mins to be asked if we wanted bread. The waiter took our order and never came back to us after that We had to ask for the check and so did the couple sitting at the table across from us. Our waiter was too busy catering to the couple behind us who wanted to order a special wine he even let the area to go upstairs and get a brochure about the wine. While the rest of us were sitting unattended to. Sadly, We will not be returning to Fish Hopper.Special Features: