Fish & Farm
339 Taylor Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Fish & Farm
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fishandfarmsf.com/
- Phone: 4154743474x
- Hours of Operation:
Open 7 nights a week.
Dinner: 5:30pm - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian, Unspecified
- Executive Chef: Elicio Soto
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer two private dining rooms. The Fishbowl seats up to 16 persons and The Aquarium Club room seats up to 36 for a dinner or 60 for a cocktail party. Both rooms were designed by Sheri Sheridan of Disfigure and Swallowtail design. Cocktail parties, full sit down dinners, buffets, or appetizer and wine receptions are available. All inclusive packaging including wine pairings and cocktails is available. Rooms are available with or without private bar facilities. We take great care to ensure your private dining exceeds your expectations. Buy-outs of the entire main dining room and lounge are also offered on specific nights and increase the private dining capacity to nearly 90 for a sit down dinner and over 125 for a reception.
- Private Party Contact: Heather Seliga 267 968 2563x
- Entertainment: Wine Club and "Meet the Winemaker Events"
Happy Hour nightly from 4-6
- Special Events: We have three beautiful dining rooms where you can host your next holiday party, business dinner, birthday or anniversary celebration, rehersal dinner or wedding reception. For more details see the private dining section on our web page.
- Cross Street: O'Farrell
- Public Transit: Near all major bus lines on Geary Street. Up 6th Street across Market onto Taylor Street, we are only 1 mile from the major freeways 101 and 80. We are 4 blocks from Powell Street Bart Station.
- Parking: No
- Parking Details: There nearby parking lots as well as street parking.
A word from Fish & Farm
With chocolate brown tufted booths, rich bamboo flooring, and seating for only 48 Fish & Farm emphasizes a civilized place in which to enjoy a menu of organic produce and all sustainably farmed fish and organic meats. Fish & Farm offers an Award Winning wine list of organic and bio dynamic wines and a monthly featured winery, winemaker or region with taste, glass and bottle portions."Meet the Winemaker" events are held throughout the year and are discounted for wine club members. Fish & Farm offers a clever menu of French and California influenced American Cuisine.The lounge and bar seats a cozy 20 persons and offers a menu of hand-crafted items.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Fish & Farm - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Union Square ›
Fish & Farm reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (28)neighborhood gem (23)romantic (16)special occasion (14)good for groups (9)notable wine list (7)kid-friendly (5)hot spot (3)great for lunch (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Tasty foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/24/2014This was our fourth time dining at Fish and Farm, and despite some of the other reviews, we have always had a good dining experience. The food is tasty and it's a good spot to bring visitors from out of town (we live in the neighborhood). They also have a great room for private dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectKenzieDined on 8/22/2014I'm a regular at this place and I honestly can't say enough good things. The staff is INCREDIBLE to me. Michael the manager always makes me feel very welcome, as does the rest of the staff. They're extremely kind and knowledgeable about the food and where it comes from (something that is very important to me). The chef is an amazing man, also. I'd recommend the pork chop, the steak, the goat cheese galette, the risotto, and the mussels (I'm partial to the Bretonne preparation). I know that's a lot of items to recommend, but seriously - none of those would disappoint. Even finicky eaters would love it. The wine list is fabulous, too. There aren't many things I would steer potential customers away from. The place is the best. My favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!DiappointedVIPDined on 8/22/2014We were seated immediately, no waiting, a plus in my book. Chef Soto came out and introuced himself, we complimented him on his wonderful cuisine. Great service, good food, good wine list. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't botherJanBapDined on 8/18/2014I've had - and made - better versions of these dishes. We had salmon & vegetable risotto. Meh. Host and server weren't friendly at all. They delivered the bare basics of service.
- Disappointing at bestwcfoodieDined on 8/16/2014I was looking forward to Fish and Farm, but the experience was less than great. The hostess/waitress was rude and seemed to genuinely hate her job. For a San Francisco restaurant, the bread was terrible - did they get it at Safeway? We ordered two appetizers - the crab cakes and the crispy artichoke salad. They didn't give us plates, so we had to use our tiny bread plates. The crab cakes were good, but the arugula and asparagus salad that came with it was not dressed, making it dry and bitter. The crispy asparagus was good, but the dressing seemed to be olive oil and Kraft Parmesan cheese. I could have made it at home. We had the salmon and the burger - burger was alright, as was the salmon, but wasn't memorable. Overall, not worth it.
- Fried Chicken & Pork ChopsSteffanVIPDined on 8/8/2014The fried chicken and pork chop were fantastic. Top 3 pork chops that I've ever eaten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodLarryDined on 8/8/2014I had the pork chop and it was truly outstanding; cooked to perfection.Special Features:
- Great cocktails, decent foodDinnerDateVIPDined on 8/1/2014Salmon was cooked perfectly but the sauce tasted a bit like flour still, needed to cook for another minute or two. The fried chicken is another customer favorite, but didn't stand out compared to other fried chicken. The "hot sauce butter" was just that - tasted like Frank's in melted butter. The hand crafted cocktails were outstanding. I loved the Tea Chicago Style! Overall, it was good - not bad, but not great.Special Features:
- Surprisingly poor servicesfepiVIPDined on 8/1/2014Our entrees were delicious but the artichoke salad was unremarkable and the bread and butter tasted of the refrigerator. Our waitress was friendly but the service was not good--drinks came out at various times, 10-30 minutes after ordering, simple requests like a napkin had to be repeated.
- Fried Chicken Was Still Good.hansDined on 7/26/2014But it seems like the prices for all items went up :o(Special Features:
- Not a great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/25/2014Lobby renovation at 8 pm on a Friday night? Bar removed from restaurant and was narrow and cramped. Worse, the bar was between the kitchen and the restaurant and waiters and construction people had to squeeze between patrons and the waiters seemed irritated about that. The bartender mumbled and when we thought he wanted our drink order, he tersely put us off to wait on someone else. Our waiter was not very friendly and not that attentive to detail. Our appetizer was burned and our meal took over an hour to prepare and because of this, we had to wolf it down to make our 10 pm show. Not good, we won't be back.
- Service needs improvementOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014We waited for 10 minutes after our reservation time to be seated, then waited 15 minutes after being seated for a waiter to show up. We finally gave up and left.
- FairBamsquireDined on 7/18/2014Nothing particularly special about this place. Service was attentive but missed obvious things like serving everyone a large bowl of mussels in broth with no serving spoon or individuals plates or bowls. Food was good but not worth overall price for the meal.
- away from the madding crowdsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014Downtown San Francisco on a Saturday night was crazy. I had family from out of town and this was a gem of a find. Quite so we could catch up with each other without shouting. Food was wonderful, and the other guests at the restaurant enjoyed the low key atmosphere as well.Special Features:
- Solid food near the theaterxxiiiVIPDined on 7/12/2014The fried chicken and the mussels were excellent. They have a great scotch selection as well. Good dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, but nothing specialCharDined on 7/9/2014I hoped I would find a more imaginative menu. The food was fine, nothing exciting. But, their coffee was wonderful.I would recommend this to a friend.
- good but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/9/2014above average food, prk chop was very good-- a bit expensive but great service- smallish restaurant space--intimate but a little dull
- Quaint and goodSFVisitorDined on 6/29/2014We were staying at the Hilton across and wanted something less traveled. It's menu is small but he choices were spot on. The food was good and prices reasonable.Special Features:
- lucky?redstarfarmDined on 6/27/2014made a reservation here for 4 adults and 3 young children. My friends arrived first & were very intimidated, expecting that our 3 young children or our casual attire were going to get us turned away. The staff actually gave us our own, sealed-off room. It was perfect. The kids could runa round and be loud, we could relax and enjoy each other and our food. we were so stoked and appreciative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Find!LaLaDined on 6/27/2014Excellent fish and wonderful service made this restaurant an instant 'we'll return soon'. Downtown location in a hotel made us worried, but we found it un-touristy and really a great place for the theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish & FarmSFFoodEaterDined on 6/24/2014We tried Fish and Farm before heading to the Curran for a show. The food was excellent and the service top notch. My son had the Fried Chicken--just like Mom used to make and I had the Salmon which was excellent. We will eat here again. Just a short walk to the show! I was glad I had a reservation. They were crowded as we left.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommend!MaritaDined on 6/22/2014Excellent food and service. The food is well-conceived, with the true flavors of the fish or meat not overwhelmed with a muddle of flavors, as is the case with some restaurants nowadays. Subtle sauces enhance the flavors of very fresh fish and meat. Service is attentive without being overwhelming - kind of like the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great comfort foodVisitorVIPDined on 6/19/2014Extremely fresh, well-prepared local ingredients. Intimate setting. Never had a bad meal here.Special Features:
- Fish and Farm DinnerKatyDined on 6/17/2014It's unfortunate that more people don't give this restaurant a try. The food was good and the wait staff was eager. The starters were AMAZING! The main courses were good, but not as good as the starters. The grillled calamari salad is a must have!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 6/17/2014Really a disgraceful restaurant. poor food, empty place, strange service. The wait staff tried but really did not know how to serve..We were very disappointed and will not return.
- Great service, below average food.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/16/2014This place has potential and I guess once it was good, but the food was really quite bad. I don't want to be mean as the staff were lovely. Maybe it was a bad night....
- retirement dinnerReggieDined on 6/9/2014Great food and our servers were nice. slightly pricey drinks but overall great experience.Special Features:
- Great surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/8/2014We needed a place to meet family members from the East Bay and the peninsula. I gambled on Open Table and we were delighted. The cornbread which accompanied the delicious fried chicken was so e of the best ever.Special Features:
- slowwwwwwrenofoodloverDined on 6/6/2014The service was very, very slow - almost got up and walked - felt the description thru Open Table was totally exaggerated - food was over priced - even for San Francisco
- Lovely little place & great food!whomecookDined on 6/6/2014Very good pre-theater dinner , convenient to ACT. My companion had moules marinieres & frites, with count 'em, 48 moules in the portion! I had roasted cod, perfectly cooked, with a great sauce and lovely veggies. Not inexpensive, but worth the money. I will go back again. Good service, pleasing decor, tucked into the Mark Twain hotel, nice ambience, quiet enough for conversation, put this into a good find category.Special Features:
- Dinner for twoDinner42VIPDined on 6/5/2014When we arrived, the place was empty. That should have been our first clue to leave, but we thought we'd give it a try anyway. We started with two drinks, which took about 10 minutes to get, in an empty restaurant. Appetizer where good, but the main course still needed a chefs flare. I had the New York Strip, which had a lot of grissle and was covered in a sauce that overwhelmed the flavor of the beef. A $27 dish and I left half. I don't recommend this place.
- solidOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/4/2014very solid food, from a small menu (which i like). service was friendly and fast. we were there for a business meeting, others seemed to be tourists from the hotel upstairs. good for either group, but not a hip or romantic spotSpecial Features:
- Delicious, sustainable foodGAPSterDined on 5/24/2014My husband and I dined here for date night. I am on a no-grain and no-sugar diet, and I was able to find a few dishes off the menu that suit my needs. The raw oysters were fresh, but the calamari salad hit us at the right spot. My pan-roasted rock cod was cooked perfectly. My husband enjoyed his cioppino and Scotch. The place is small, the tables are placed close together. It would've been nice if I didn't have to eavesdrop on neighboring patrons. The servers were a little rough on the edges on their waiting skills, but were very polite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/15/2014The wait staff was indifferent. We asked for a booth (most of them were empty), and were told it would be a 30 minute wait for those. It was a date. We were then seated between other tables, face-to-face, interview style with no privacy. After we had finished the meal, we both noticed the booths had never been occupied that evening. That, and never a smile from any of the staff. We won't be going back.Special Features:
- DeliciousGinaVIPDined on 5/11/2014We all ordered a different dish. Everyone was happy with their dinner. The scallops were cooked to perfection, appetizer mussels were tasty and fresh. We had the apple tart and molten chocolate cake. Tart was very good, the cake was a miss. Would go again. Neighborhood is sketchy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieVIPDined on 5/8/2014Fish and Farm is a small room with 11 tables. It's part of the Mark Twain hotel. One waitress was responsible for the entire room except for one table which was served by several people. The "special table". The rest of the room was left alone except when necessary to plop down your food. We felt sorry for the overwhelmed waitress who seemed to be doing her best to take care of the rest of the room. The food was average. We though the fish either frozen or a lower grade or both. We won't return. This was my worst review yet for opentable.
- limited menu, slow servicePaulVIPDined on 5/3/2014If you like a relaxed meal, this might be the place for you. Food was good, but menu was somewhat limited (only artichoke or calamari salad, no more basic salad) and service seemed inattentive for a not very crowded night
- The following 956 reviews are from the Fish & Farm reviews archive.
- SeatingSFvisitorVIPDined on 4/30/2014I was dining alone and was asked to sit in the bar when there were many empty tables in the dining room. The dining room would have been much more comfortable.
- SERVICEenglishvisitorDined on 4/27/2014very nice guy who served us, but he appeared to be the only one!!! We waited quite a long time to be served/order taken/wine brought to table, but the food here is good and (for some) may be worth the wait.
- Best seafood aroundTBeach3Dined on 4/25/2014Kind of hidden away in the hotel, it was defintely worth finding. The best seafood I have had in years! The waitstaff were phenomenal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.