First to Market
399 S 1st Street
San Jose, CA 95113Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
First to Market
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.firsttomarketsj.com/
- Phone: 4086002120x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch 10am-3pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Domingo Wolbert
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: San Salvador
- Public Transit: Bus lines 323, 304, 66, 68, 82, 168, all stop with is 3 blocks of our restaurant. The convention center lightrail station is 4 blocks away, and the Paseo de San Antonio lightrail station is 3 blocks away.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking at meters is free after 6pm Monday-Saturday and all day Sunday. Otherwise, metered parking is $1 an hour
A word from First to Market
First to Market brings our upscale take on regional American comfort foods to the South Bay. We pride ourselves in using traditional techniques to elevate each of the dishes that define American cuisine. We have a full bar with local wine, craft beer, and house cocktails that highlight fine American spirits. Whether it's dinner or weekend brunch, First to Market aims to bring awareness to the foods that America great, and prepare them in the best ways possible.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
First to Market - Best Restaurants in San Jose ›
First to Market reviews from OpenTable diners
13 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (7)neighborhood gem (6)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (4)good for groups (4)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (3)romantic (2)special occasion (2)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (2)late-night find (1)notable wine list (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great find in downtown San JoseJoe3Dined on 9/28/2014This is a great restaurant. Their fresh food sourcing is wonderful and the preparation and presentation is great. Strongly recommend.Special Features:
- chuckloveDined on 9/27/2014This place is a rare find, a San Francisco-style ambiance and adventurous menu, minus the typical SF dining expense. Appetizers, drinks, entree, and dessert were all thoroughly delicious at a more than reasonable price. The menu is quite small, but highly inventive and everything is carefully and lovingly cooked. The restaurant interior is warm and inviting, the buzzing yet not-too-urban SOFA neighborhood stimulating as well.Special Features:
- great food great drinksuzyq2Dined on 9/11/2014my friend and I ate at the bar as we had but 45 minutes before theater. our bartender was lovely, his knowledge and insight into the drinks was outstanding. the snack nibbles were lovely, the cocktails, though nuanced and very flavorful packed a punch. highly recommend.Special Features:
- Not a good experienceFrequentDinerWGDined on 7/25/2014Out of 6 people in our party no one particularly cared for their food. The service was slow despite it being close to empty at 7:30pm on a Friday night. We sat at a table with open doors to the sidewalk, which was lovely for about 15 minutes until the line started forming for the adjacent club which meandered right next to our table with a little ambient smoke at times, both cigarette and pot. The experience was was beyond complaining even if we wanted to, there didn't seem to be a manager or anyone about that actually would care how we were doing. If the owner(s) also own the busy club next door, at least they can be making some sort of a go at business because the restaurant is certainly doomed if our experience is the norm.
- Unique Cocktails, great food.BrickHouse1VIPDined on 7/2/2014The food was also unique. I got scallops with "pasta." It was on a bed of squash cut like pasta. My husband got pork belly two ways, one with mac n cheese and the other with baked beans. Both were delicious. I also really enjoyed the deviled egg appetizer. The waitress was great, she was also part owner. I highly recommend this restaurant if you like food prepared perfectly and tastes amazing. I can't wait to come back.Special Features:
- OKBunkyDined on 7/2/2014We enjoyed our dinner on July 2nd but encountered a couple of things that we were not pleased with. !. My husband ordered the duck leg and found it to be very dry......said he would never order it again and he is not a picky eater. 2. We were served water - but with no ice. I personally would have preferred some ice in my glass. 3. We felt the menu was somewhat limited. 4. Our guest wanted a light beer and none was on the menu. I had the scallops and the dish was very good........a little too much sauce but otherwise I was very pleased with it. The open doors made for a nice airy feeling (although there was a fly that kept bothering us). We may return and we may not!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 20 reviews are from the First to Market reviews archive.
- Intimate spot w/ unique foodsPaulquagmire1Dined on 6/28/2014Intimate restaurant with a romantic atmosphere and delicious unique food options. Great for people looking for a quieter dining experience with a neighborhood feel, downtown. We had excellent service from one of the owners and loved the personal feel of entire the wait staff. Definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Different isn't always betterdkglenwoodVIPDined on 6/26/2014Hi. We went to FtM for the Dine Out San Jose event. Unfortunately, although the service at this restaurant was outstanding, the food offered was such an odd mix, we ended up just ordering small plates. Nothing spectacular. Sadly, the favorite item was the fries with cheese. It's great to have elk on your menu, but there should be other not so heavy items for the lighter eater. We'll try this again when the menu get's changed up a bit.
- Outstanding Dinner!j2h13Dined on 6/25/2014We came as part of San Jose's restaurant week and ordered off the Prix Fixe menu. Unfortunately they ran out of the scallops before we arrived, but we tried the Pork Belly Mac'n'Cheese, the Elk Chops, and the Ahi Salad. For desert we had apple pie a la mode. Everything was spot on. My better half enjoyed the Mac'n'Cheese the most, but wants to come back specifically for the vegetable mousse on the elk plate. Overall a wonderful experience and the ambiance was just right for a cozy evening dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome cocktails and service!maggiefiDined on 6/25/2014The food was inconsistent. For example, the tuna appetizer was overcooked, but the scallop entree was delicious. The cocktails were great, especially the whiskey cocktail with the blackberry juice...SO YUMMY! The desserts were really good, and the service was efficient, friendly, and extremely attentive. There is room for improvement, of course, but I'd recommend First to Market. It's a wonderful, welcome addition to downtown San Jose.Special Features:
- Great food, still service issuesTheBeerHunterDined on 6/20/2014I really want this place to succeed but they are still having teething issues. The food has stepped up especially with the introduction of their summer menu, but service remains lackluster and the kitchen constantly overwhelmed. I don't feel it's the waitstaff's fault, but rather, they appear to be severely understaffed. Requests go unmet, waitresses go MIA, apologies flow like water. They need to find their groove and fast, they've been open 6 months now so it's hard to keep saying its because they are new.
- Good but pricyNickyVIPDined on 5/25/2014The menu is simple and the good is delicious, but it was over priced for what you get. Service was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh Food with a Southern FlairOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/20/2014Our group of six had a wonderful birthday dinner with excellent food, wine and service. The menu was so interesting, we ordered family style so we could each taste as many dishes as possible. The appetizers were especially varied and delicious. The price point was very reasonable. The staff were very accommodating and efficient.Special Features:
- Great new place downtown San JoseLABeachGrlVIPDined on 5/18/2014Found this restaurant on OpenTable for last minute brunch reservations. I very much enjoyed the experience! Great brunch options - many that can be made vegetarian and the mimosa was fantastic! The service was terrific! The menu is small but has great options and the waffle....YUM! Highly recommend trying this restaurant out if you're going to be in downtown San Jose!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tastefully Done--Decor and FoodbrownieoneVIPDined on 5/17/2014This was a home run. It's been only open a few months, but what a great addition to downtown San Jose. I had a delicious spinich/beet salad with amazing roasted walnut pieces and crumbled gorgonzola. Half size was $5; a full salad was $8. For my main course, a chicken pot pie and homemade biscuit for $10. Very, very tasty. Additionally, though I did not partake, I liked the fact they have carafe-size specialty cocktails ... enough for 3-4 people, and value-priced. Service was provided by the very pleasant and efficient Jennifer. Thank you.Special Features:
- Nice place near theaterLaurahVIPDined on 5/17/2014We ate here because of a concert at the California theater just down the block. Very convenient. Appetizers were great, mains too heavy for our tastes, though the flavors were nice. The food is kind of modern southern, so different than some.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant, but unremarkableBenBVIPDined on 5/14/2014Food is OK. Decor and service are pleasant. Moderately overpriced for the overall quality.
- Good experienceFoodie007Dined on 5/11/2014We went on Mother's day. The food and service was good despite it being very busy. I would go back.Special Features:
- Great New Downtown Dining SpotDowntownerDined on 5/8/2014The owners and chef at First to Market have devise a flavorful, creative and reasonably priced comfort food menu. The restaurant's atmosphere is clean and uncluttered and the drinks menu is excellent. Great place for weekend for brunch or dinner.Special Features:
- Dinner date with the hubbymamasitaVIPDined on 5/2/2014Hadn't heard of this new spot before, checked it out for dinner before the art walk. Bit disappointed that bison pot pie, spicy tots and Mac n cheese were already out for the night (it was 7pm) staff was very attentive, they seem to all pitch in happily to take care of the customer. Modern/rustic decor, clean and well kept. We ordered a bit of everything and enjoyed it all! Pork belly, sprouts, ck pot pie, chowder, salad, tots, and deviled eggs.. Pot pie was awesome! Chowder had the same base flavor, was also very good. We enjoyed! Tots were great!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/1/2014Menu needed more variety---some interesting ideas---service was quick enough for getting in & out on a theater night
- shrimp and grits!DawnSFDined on 4/24/2014My sister and I went to dinner while she was staying at a nearby hotel. The food was delicious! I think the wine list could use a little more breadth. Also they brought our entrees while we were still eating our appetizer so it felt a little rushed. Overall, I would go back when I'm in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Hidden GemPorterhousePreferredVIPDined on 3/28/2014We hope other diners discover this terrific dining spot. High airy ceilings and large windows that open on to First Street. The menu is vibrant and ever changing with an emphasis on freshness that includes house made condiments like a hot/sweet sriracha and the bracing pickles served with the house Bloody Mary. We recently enjoyed a Moroccan pork stew, deliciously spiced with pork shoulder served over couscous. A wondefrul comfort food for the fall. A bright Kale salad that surprises with the addition of crunchy kasha. As the menus change we always find ourselves delighted by the new offerings. Great cocktails and friendly service round out a wholly satisfying experience. Heartily recommended!Special Features:
- A perfect night!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/4/2014The food here is fresh, not overwhelming. Well priced. The "tater tots" are amazing!!! The lemon dessert was delicious and the perfect end. A glass of wine for $8! Wow....had 2 at that price before heading to California Theater for Cinequest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it's still newabbCVIPDined on 3/1/2014the restaurant opened on Tuesday, we went on Saturday. when i made the res, the few reviews raved about the place so perhaps my expectations were too high. the space is beautiful w/ the exposed brick, high ceilings. i think they still need to refine their menu. as a party of 7, we easily tried almost half the menu but unfortunately, nothing really made us want to come back again, whether it lacked salt or was partially cold, or... sorry. i really wanted to like this restaurant and there's definitely potential, but i probably won't be back to find out. i hope your experience will be better! =)
- I liked it. The service wasJoeklimDined on 2/28/2014I liked it. The service was good. The food was delicious. The bar menu and happy hour were enough for my fiance and I. We really enjoyed our dinner there. We'll be back. JoeSpecial Features: