First Crush Restaurant Wine Bar & Lounge
101 Cyril Magnin Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
First Crush Restaurant Wine Bar & Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.firstcrush.com/
- Phone: 4159827874x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am-2pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Jose Cardona
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: SHN patrons - show your theater tickets for a free dessert with purchase of any entree.
A word from First Crush Restaurant Wine Bar & Lounge
First Crush promotes a “casual upscale” atmosphere for individuals, private events and large parties in the heart of San Francisco’s Union Square district, offering hand-crafted quality food using the freshest ingredients complemented with a massive all-California wine list - served affordably with professional service in an energetic, lively environment.Continued
The restaurant has been awarded the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence for 2001-2014.
The restaurant has been awarded the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence for 2001-2014.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
First Crush Restaurant Wine Bar & Lounge - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Union Square ›
First Crush Restaurant Wine Bar & Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
116 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (50)fit for foodies (42)great for brunch (28)neighborhood gem (25)special occasion (22)romantic (16)good for groups (14)late-night find (9)great for lunch (7)vibrant bar scene (6)hot spot (5)Show More
- Neighborhood ExcellenceSandyOVIPDined on 8/30/2014Wonderful food and service.wine list- all California- is excellent. The restaurant is small and very noisy.Special Features:
- good food but too loudoldfoodcriticDined on 8/17/2014The scallops were excellent. seasoning and taste were very good. However, the salmon was slightly overcooked. the lamb was also a touch beyond medium rare (what we wanted) service pleasant. wine list impressive WORK ON THE SOUND LEVEL. IT'S PAINFULSpecial Features:
- glovesmVIPDined on 8/16/2014The food was fine, nothing seemed to wow me. The plates seemed a bit complicated with too many things going on. My favorite thing was the pan roasted scallops. The steak had a weird sauce, almost barbeque on it, and not a nice sear so I was quite disappointed with it.
- HospitalityOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/10/2014We found First Crush to be very accommodating to our group of 5 with a last minute reservation. Menu has lots of variety and I had enjoyed a delicious flounder earlier in the week here. Tonight I was in the mood for a burger and the Kobe burger was done just the way I wanted. The wine list had lots of variety for our group as 3 enjoyed flights of red with generous glasses given. Service was very friendly and we enjoyed ourselves very much.Special Features:
- TatiannaDined on 8/10/2014Food are good but a bit pricey. Service is good , prime location, recommend for special occasion.Special Features:
- Good place if Union Square is busyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014Managed a table for 6 on a fairly busy night well. All in our party enjoyed their meals. Biggest highlights were probably the scallops and the salmon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Texan say's best brunch ever!!!SlimShadyDined on 8/9/2014This was our first stop on the way to Napa. Great restaurant with very unique items for Brunch. Homemade, fresh squeezed Bloody Marys were a hit. Food was fantastic as was the service. The sides were great, with the candied bacon a must try. The potato side with chorizo was enough for two easy.Special Features:
- Please is very niceFoodieVIPDined on 8/9/2014I've been here twice. This time I ordered the crab sliders which I didn't care for very muchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, inattentive staffLoveMyFoodVIPDined on 8/5/2014Excellent food. The lobster mac & cheese never disappoints. However, the server waited way too long to approach us to take our order, both for the appetizers and the main course, and then they waited far too long to serve the wine we ordered before ordering our food. We didn't get our wine until after dinner was served because they "forgot."Special Features:
- Great Brunch!Melen82VIPDined on 7/27/2014I had come here years ago for dinner with an old classmate and thought it had a nice atmosphere. I can't remember much about the food but I must have liked it enough to try brunch here. The brunch is AMAZING! The menu is small but the food is delicious with generous portion sizes. I had the apple-scrambled eggs with the chorizo hash and was very satisfied. I definitely recommend the locals try it (even if it is downtown with the tourists). I'll probably make it back soon for drinks and dinner. :)Special Features:
- Food ok service poorMeabDined on 7/25/2014If you want alright food and particularly bad service this is the place for you.
- Tourist TrapJBRCVIPDined on 7/24/2014Line cooks, no chef. Food is terrible. Should just be a wine bar.Special Features:
- Great wine, not so great food.candasmomDined on 7/17/2014We were excited to have a nice anniversary dinner here. The wine list was great and my husband had a tasty cocktail. The kale salad was really good to start. My husband's burger was ok. I ordered the local seared halibut and it was very bland. For the price ($32 for the fish), the food was not great.Special Features:
- This place is a sleeper!!!!Search4bestnnjVIPDined on 7/13/2014Had a work banquet there one night and the food was so fantastic we could not wait to go back for a regular dinner. Well... went back we did. The ambiance is not great but the food it! My wife had the lobster ravioli an she loved it! The past was homemade as was the stuffing. I had a vegetarian main of stuffed mushrooms that was really not to be believed. The service was GREAT! Cannot say enough about the place. It is someplace that tourists would pass by, but.... if you like good food, great service and a creative and reasonably priced menu THIS BE THE PLACE!Special Features:
- Great wine and foodTonySFDined on 7/11/2014We tried First Crush on a Friday night after work for dinner and drinks. We started with a wine flight and picked one of the wines from the flight to go with dinner. The food was delicious and the waitstaff was very attentive.Special Features:
- Great Find near Theater DistrictvitalmhVIPDined on 7/10/2014We were looking for a place to get some wine and a small meal before the theater and found First Crush on Yelp. Nice selection of wine by the glass (or in flights) with very good food. Ordered the scallops small plate and a side of veggies. All flavors were terrific and the dishes were presented well. Server was mostly attentive although when it got busy upstairs, he lost track of us. Will try the downstairs room next time to get away from louder bar patrons.
- Slow service. Inept waiter.UnhappyDined on 7/8/2014Uncorked wine next to table and splashed wine on two of our party. Also spilled plate on another when clearing. Food good but delivery poorly timed and our second bottle of wine did not appear until we were finished with dinner. Party of 8 and a fixed tip of 20% for poor service. Will not go back.Special Features:
- Maintained, but not ImprovedTopHatCharlieDined on 7/5/2014I ate here many years ago and the food is very much the same as are the above average service. We were there early, it may get louder later.Special Features:
- Great menu choicesFoodieVIPDined on 7/5/2014Great place for brunch. I would go back here againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First CrushSFdinerDined on 7/4/2014Delicious food. Convenient to Union Square and our hotel. Second visit better than the first.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful serviceRonlroVIPDined on 6/29/2014On arrival, checked in with front desk, confirmed reservation, and was seated. Server asked if we would like to order drinks before brunch, replied yes. Took almost 25 minutes to be able to place food order, yet drinks still were no shows. Finally, drinks and food showed up at the same time (really, how long does it take to make a bloody Mary...not as if the restaurant was all that busy). To top it off, the restaurant reported us as "no show" to open table. Big change from last time we were here. We won't be returning.
- Scallops saved the day!smkarizonaVIPDined on 6/28/2014Service was very relaxed for our group...not that we were ready to go party, but we often waited quite a while to see our server. Three of us ordered potato soup, which was very bland and didn't have a single chunk of potato in it (there's smooth and there's tooooo smooth!). Then the pan seared scallops arrived and we forgot we'd ever had bland soup. Perfectly seasoned and delicious, they were some of the best I've had. I would have even liked them more with a bit more of a sear on them, but I was forgiving a lot for that seasoning. Also, the wine and bubble flights were spectacular. Truffle flight is a great idea but some warning about how bitter they would be would have been much appreciated.Special Features:
- nonicknameVIPDined on 6/28/2014Portabello "stuffed" mushrooms were very tasty and satisfying. Salmon was cooked just right. Scallops were tender and delicious. Started with a mixed green salad. Everyone at the table was quite pleased. Just didn't have room for desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deliciousrmohDined on 6/25/2014had a wonderful meal - boullabaise was very flavorful, with lots of fish, not much broth. never had peas before but they were fresh!Special Features:
- A great Wine ListRunningSFDined on 6/21/2014The food and service were very good at this restaurant. The Wine list was extensive and expensive. It is a very intimate setting. The dining portion is small and tables close together. It was difficult to have a private conversation. The waiter was very attentive and offered good advise for wine selection. The food was good with a good selection. We were in and out fairly quickly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disgusting foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/20/2014The food was terrible, I wouldn't eat there for free. Even the Mac and cheese is gross
- Loved it!OnceFriendsDined on 6/20/2014This restaurant made our trip to SF the best. We loved the food and the service was amazing. Great find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theater diningLightDined on 6/19/2014I have season tickets with SHN and always dine at First Crush where they have a special menu for theater goers. I was there a few nights ago and was disappointed to see that they no longer offer the pre-theater fixed price menu. I had looked it up on the SHN website that afternoon and they still showed a special offer for people with tickets. I was disappointed (although it was not their website that had the incorrect information) and hope First Crush will arrange to have this corrected. As a result, our dinner was considerably more costly than we had planned. I have always enjoyed First Crush but would be inclined now to try other options since they no longer offer the special for theater-goers.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rather mediocreDineoutqueenVIPDined on 6/19/2014We had gnocchi and aji tartare. Gnocchi was greasy; aji arrived grey with little flavor. The beet salad was good but not great. The crab bisque was good. The best item was a chocolate brownie. That was delicious. When I pointed out that the aji looked grey and not fresh, there was no recommended fix for this. I asked about wasabi and they only use a powder so it was of no help to add some flavor or tang. Won't go back to this place. All entrees looked expensive (most over 30) so we stayed with small plates. Coffee was weak.
- Really?shanagementVIPDined on 6/17/2014For a wine bar our waiter had no knowledge of wine. "They're all ..." was part of the description of the difference between the Sauv Blancs on the menu. No mention when the bottle was brought out that it was the only one until we were ready for the second bottle. Food was really boring. The best thing on the menu was the cheese plate, which was served with a good size portion and nice honey, nuts and grapes. I doubt this restaurant will stay open much longer since it was mostly empty tables and now I know why. It was super expensive and not good. Sorry but I will not return.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/17/2014We have dined at First Crush many times. This time we were seated in a corner to the left of the bar and it was very noisy; at times we could barely hear conversation at our table. When we return we will definitely insist on a table location away from the bar.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ParentvisitDined on 6/14/2014Food is excellent. It is a small place so best to make a reservation. Great for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only for touristsBailyDined on 6/14/2014As a local, this restaurant is right near all the hotels and shows. It truly is a bar that serves food, so maybe if you go in with that expectation you would be ok. Everyone wearing shorts and t-shirts and very casual. So, again if that is what you expect, and you want a very casual dinner, that may be ok. Downstairs was not open so we sat near the bar and since the main floor is so small, that is also near the door. Food was fine, but overall just not what I expected after reading the positive reviews. Cannot recommend.
- Okay, priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/14/2014This restaurant is very small. Seating is close together. Not a place to have a private conversation. Menu nice. Prices high. Wines very over-priced. Appetizers good and a nice appetizer selection. Staff is friendly.
- great brunch, awesome servicemehmehmehDined on 6/14/2014went for brunch and had a nice time cute brunch--good, strong drinks--lovely serviceSpecial Features:
- A bit noisy but good food and wineERNTravelsDined on 6/6/2014This small wine bar/restaurant has an excellent selection of wines, including flights. The food portions are just right.Special Features:
- Will Not Go BackABCDDined on 6/1/2014It was my first time at this restaurant and I don't think I would want to go back. First of all, it was for my friend's birthday. I told both of the receptionists that please bring her a candle or something to celebrate her bday. They both said yes sure and they will take care of it. However, there was no action taken. In addition, the waiter was a little rude. Maybe he notices that we are ordering "dine about town" menu. He was just rushing us. The food was fine, but because of the service, I don't think I would want to go back.
- My First CrushFoodie4meDined on 5/29/2014This restaurant has always been my favorite. My first impression the first time I tried First Crush was memorable and never failed because the food was amazing and same with service on Thursday evening. If anyone is a foodie this is the place to go. Special occasion for first timers will remember this as a great restaurant in the heart of SF.Special Features:
- Just so soSosoVIPDined on 5/27/2014Based on earlier high mark reviews I chose this place for a group of 6 for a pre dining short dinner before heading to the Warfield theater. Hosts did not seem to know about party of 6 although they had the Open Table reservation. downstairs seating not open til 6, which is not mentioned on their site. our reservation was for 5:45. We were seated right by the bar. Waiter not very good, argued with me about a wine I had asked him about when i said it wasn't at all what he said it was. Inattentive, didn't get in husbands drink order. Food marginal. Only upside was proximity to BART and the theater, a few sketchy blocks away. won't return or recommend it.
- Dinner and a Show!DancinNancy36Dined on 5/25/2014We had an absolute blast at First Crush! My bestie had walked past this place everyday when she lived in the City and had never been, so during our latest trip into SF, we decided it was time to check it out. The wine flights were phenomenal because it allowed you to try three different wines before committing to one. The food was fantastic and perfect for sharing! I especially loved the gnocchi! And at the end of our meal, we were shocked when our server began singing like he was in the Opera house!Special Features: