First Crush Restaurant Wine Bar & Lounge
101 Cyril Magnin Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
First Crush Restaurant Wine Bar & Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.firstcrush.com/
- Phone: 4159827874x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am-2pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Neil Marquis
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: SHN patrons - show your theater tickets for a free dessert with purchase of any entree.
A word from First Crush Restaurant Wine Bar & Lounge
First Crush promotes a “casual upscale” atmosphere for individuals, private events and large parties in the heart of San Francisco’s Union Square district, offering hand-crafted quality food using the freshest ingredients complemented with a massive all-California wine list - served affordably with professional service in an energetic, lively environment.Continued
The restaurant has been awarded the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence for 2001-2014.
The restaurant has been awarded the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence for 2001-2014.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
First Crush Restaurant Wine Bar & Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (45)fit for foodies (42)neighborhood gem (27)great for brunch (23)special occasion (19)romantic (15)late-night find (10)good for groups (10)great for lunch (7)vibrant bar scene (5)hot spot (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- reservation not honored overpricedvenophileDined on 10/15/2014We showed up for a 6:30 reservation at 6:20 and were not seated until 7pm even though there were tables open. Hostess seemed overwhelmed and confused. Our server was excellent and fast but the food was good - not great. Fabulous wine listSpecial Features:
- Fun night outRTBRDined on 10/15/2014Food was pretty good, wine flights were awesome. Service was inconsistent. Asked for bread to snack on while waiting and were told "we'll bring bread after you order". Asked for wine flights to come out by course but after first flight they rushed the rest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 10/12/2014no televisions at bar. Not recommended for sports games.Special Features:
- Don't expect too much!SportyspiceDined on 10/12/2014Restaurant is small, won't say it's cozy. I made an early reservation for 2 and the hostess seated us at the worst table while the restaurant is 3/4 empty. On top, it took 15 minutes for the waiter to come by with the menu. I highly NOT recommend to dine here, plus food was just ok and pricy. It is not worth the time and the money!
- Wine Bar with good foodMartinDined on 10/9/2014A wine bar with a big wine assortment (US wines) but they have also good beers. The Food quality i's good.Special Features:
- overpricedFoodLoverVIPDined on 10/9/2014I think it's an overpriced tourist trap and I wasn't that into it and wouldn't recommend it. My scallops were good, but not $25 good, especially because it was on the small plates menu. The highlight was the bread pudding for sure. I'd go back for that, but nothing else. My experience with the waiter wasn't that great either. We had to call him over to the table to order after at least 15 mins of waiting. I ended up changing my order about 3 mins after he took it from the half order of scallops to the full and he seemed annoyed. He still ended up bringing the wrong thing to the table and again seemed annoyed and blamed me for his mistake. On the service size, the hostess was very pleasant and made the experience a bit more tolerable.
- First Crush is Always FabHollywoodDined on 10/9/2014We are regulars at First Crush. We had the server who has been there the longest and he was right on point. Just the right amount of attention. The food was delicious as always. Although their lobster mac and cheese seemed to be different. The lobster was on top vs. mixed in. And the noodles seemed different and/or slightly overcooked. They need to go back to mixing in the lobster. Overall, wonderful dinner. You must get a wine flight if you go. That's one of the best parts of First Crush!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulkcsunshine1956Dined on 10/4/2014This is the third time wev'e dined at the First Crush it's been great each time. There are always new things on the menue and the wine list is great. We were a little late this last time because of the Giants game the staff is always so nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upstairs/DownstairsTBoneCostanzaDined on 10/4/2014Last time here we sat upstairs - this time downstairs - upstairs is betterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014Great pre-theater dinner spot! Quiet, great menu. Probably needed another server on duty in lower level. Good wine flights. Enjoyed very much.Special Features:
- A small place with good foodMarcTVIPDined on 9/25/2014My wife and I went here for the first time on a Thursday night. The place is fairly small and you sit fairly close to your fellow diners. Not sure if it was just some people were particularly loud or not, but it was pretty noisy that night. Our server was fairly soft-spoken and hard to hear over the noise, and to be honest, he didn't have much personality. The food was very good--my wife had scallops and I had some pasta. Drinks were good and the truffles for dessert were really tasty!Special Features:
- Unusual dishesTravelgirlDined on 9/17/2014Interesting blend of tastes cooked to perfection. Cozy and comfortable with a lively atmosphere. Large wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recommend a friend?---maybeOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/17/2014Given their reputation the food was disappointingly a little above average perhaps; interestingly they seemed unable to cook anything to order this night but, since we were on the way to a play, no one had time to send it back or address the issues with waiter...still, the waiter was great and, given a better night in the kitchen, this could be a great place for groups!Special Features:
- My favorite spotBizLuncherDined on 9/15/2014I love First Crush! This is my favorite place for Halibut, and the wine is delicious! It is a bit pricey, but worth it! I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Good FoodAmazonLocalDealDined on 9/14/2014The food was good and $$$ if not for amazon local (13 for 26) it would have been to much. People and staff could not have been friendlier that was nice. There were only two other tables eating so the service was outstanding ( everyone over and over stopped to ask how is everything the attention was nice but just a little to much, let me eat.Special Features:
- Birthday brunchSweetieVIPDined on 9/13/2014Met a good friend for her birthday brunch Sat. We enjoyed a very fine meal, the staff brought her the world-famous chocolate decadence for her birthday cake. Needless to say, after the candle was extinguished and the singing done (mine) she and I lingered...yum! Very nice place for special occasions...staff very attentive without being intrusive. I just wish chef would bring back apple scramble! Check it out. You will be pleased.Special Features:
- Great spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Excellent food, very nice facility. We make a short notice reservation for a group of 10. First Crush was very accommodating. Food was excellent.Special Features:
- What has happened?OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/4/2014Have not dined here in over a year and feel the quality of food and service has diminished. I ordered a $37 Rib eye and it was the thinest, over cooked (I ordered it rare and it came out Medium Well) bland piece of meat. Definitely not worth that price. Use to think this was a hidden gem but feel this did not meet up to past experiences especially for the price. I think you can find many better options now in that neighborhood with better food and service. I won't be hurrying back.
- Fancy flights and food!theatremomDined on 8/31/2014Brought a friend who fancies herself on being a wine connoisseur and foodie, and I think she was quite happy with First Crush! We both prefer reds so she chose the reds flight and I chose the Pinot flight, and we shared and enjoyed our selections. A lover of stinky and cow cheese, my friend was a little disappointed in the cheese selections since she doesn't like goat or sheep cheeses (which I didn't know), but we nibbled away at a double-bleu cheese and brie flight of their cheese platter. We ordered small plates of the ravioli and lobster mac cheese to share, and swiped both delicious dishes clean with the soft light bread that accompanied every table, including a yummy pesto dip I might add. Hope to return again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointmentten4587Dined on 8/30/2014The server was initially attentive but once we ordered that was the end of any attention from the server. Took almost 15 minutes to get our wine. We had to ask for bread and our entree's arrived 30 seconds later. Apparently they were in a hurry to move us along. We were never asked nor offered any additional wine. I ordered the halibut and truffle fries. The fries were great, however the halibut was tasteless. My husband had the cioppino which was the worst he has ever had. It was extremely salty, so much so that he couldn't eat it. The owner asked if we wanted something else but at this point we were done. The owner comp'd dessert for my husband, strawberry shortcake which he said was good. Needless to say, we won't be back.
- Neighborhood ExcellenceSandyOVIPDined on 8/30/2014Wonderful food and service.wine list- all California- is excellent. The restaurant is small and very noisy.Special Features:
- good food but too loudoldfoodcriticDined on 8/17/2014The scallops were excellent. seasoning and taste were very good. However, the salmon was slightly overcooked. the lamb was also a touch beyond medium rare (what we wanted) service pleasant. wine list impressive WORK ON THE SOUND LEVEL. IT'S PAINFULSpecial Features:
- glovesmVIPDined on 8/16/2014The food was fine, nothing seemed to wow me. The plates seemed a bit complicated with too many things going on. My favorite thing was the pan roasted scallops. The steak had a weird sauce, almost barbeque on it, and not a nice sear so I was quite disappointed with it.
- HospitalityOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/10/2014We found First Crush to be very accommodating to our group of 5 with a last minute reservation. Menu has lots of variety and I had enjoyed a delicious flounder earlier in the week here. Tonight I was in the mood for a burger and the Kobe burger was done just the way I wanted. The wine list had lots of variety for our group as 3 enjoyed flights of red with generous glasses given. Service was very friendly and we enjoyed ourselves very much.Special Features:
- TatiannaDined on 8/10/2014Food are good but a bit pricey. Service is good , prime location, recommend for special occasion.Special Features:
- Good place if Union Square is busyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014Managed a table for 6 on a fairly busy night well. All in our party enjoyed their meals. Biggest highlights were probably the scallops and the salmon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Texan say's best brunch ever!!!SlimShadyDined on 8/9/2014This was our first stop on the way to Napa. Great restaurant with very unique items for Brunch. Homemade, fresh squeezed Bloody Marys were a hit. Food was fantastic as was the service. The sides were great, with the candied bacon a must try. The potato side with chorizo was enough for two easy.Special Features:
- Please is very niceFoodieVIPDined on 8/9/2014I've been here twice. This time I ordered the crab sliders which I didn't care for very muchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SF downtown spotCathyDined on 8/6/2014The food here was terrific. I had the lab t-bones dish which was to perfection. I was surprised that you had 3 on your plate not the normal 2 t-bones. My husband had the salmon which he said was cooked to perfection also. The lemon tart was a great ending to the meal. The wine flights are very well though out. The service was very good. Our server was very attentive and very helpful. We enjoyed our experience. Ambiance leaves a little to be desired. Kind of disappointed on this.Special Features:
- Good food, inattentive staffLoveMyFoodVIPDined on 8/5/2014Excellent food. The lobster mac & cheese never disappoints. However, the server waited way too long to approach us to take our order, both for the appetizers and the main course, and then they waited far too long to serve the wine we ordered before ordering our food. We didn't get our wine until after dinner was served because they "forgot."Special Features:
- Great Brunch!Melen82VIPDined on 7/27/2014I had come here years ago for dinner with an old classmate and thought it had a nice atmosphere. I can't remember much about the food but I must have liked it enough to try brunch here. The brunch is AMAZING! The menu is small but the food is delicious with generous portion sizes. I had the apple-scrambled eggs with the chorizo hash and was very satisfied. I definitely recommend the locals try it (even if it is downtown with the tourists). I'll probably make it back soon for drinks and dinner. :)Special Features:
- Food ok service poorMeabDined on 7/25/2014If you want alright food and particularly bad service this is the place for you.
- Tourist TrapJBRCVIPDined on 7/24/2014Line cooks, no chef. Food is terrible. Should just be a wine bar.Special Features:
- Great wine, not so great food.candasmomDined on 7/17/2014We were excited to have a nice anniversary dinner here. The wine list was great and my husband had a tasty cocktail. The kale salad was really good to start. My husband's burger was ok. I ordered the local seared halibut and it was very bland. For the price ($32 for the fish), the food was not great.Special Features:
- This place is a sleeper!!!!Search4bestnnjVIPDined on 7/13/2014Had a work banquet there one night and the food was so fantastic we could not wait to go back for a regular dinner. Well... went back we did. The ambiance is not great but the food it! My wife had the lobster ravioli an she loved it! The past was homemade as was the stuffing. I had a vegetarian main of stuffed mushrooms that was really not to be believed. The service was GREAT! Cannot say enough about the place. It is someplace that tourists would pass by, but.... if you like good food, great service and a creative and reasonably priced menu THIS BE THE PLACE!Special Features:
- Great wine and foodTonySFDined on 7/11/2014We tried First Crush on a Friday night after work for dinner and drinks. We started with a wine flight and picked one of the wines from the flight to go with dinner. The food was delicious and the waitstaff was very attentive.Special Features:
- Great Find near Theater DistrictvitalmhVIPDined on 7/10/2014We were looking for a place to get some wine and a small meal before the theater and found First Crush on Yelp. Nice selection of wine by the glass (or in flights) with very good food. Ordered the scallops small plate and a side of veggies. All flavors were terrific and the dishes were presented well. Server was mostly attentive although when it got busy upstairs, he lost track of us. Will try the downstairs room next time to get away from louder bar patrons.
- Slow service. Inept waiter.UnhappyDined on 7/8/2014Uncorked wine next to table and splashed wine on two of our party. Also spilled plate on another when clearing. Food good but delivery poorly timed and our second bottle of wine did not appear until we were finished with dinner. Party of 8 and a fixed tip of 20% for poor service. Will not go back.Special Features:
- Maintained, but not ImprovedTopHatCharlieDined on 7/5/2014I ate here many years ago and the food is very much the same as are the above average service. We were there early, it may get louder later.Special Features:
- Great menu choicesFoodieVIPDined on 7/5/2014Great place for brunch. I would go back here againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.