First Crush Restaurant Wine Bar & Lounge
101 Cyril Magnin Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
First Crush Restaurant Wine Bar & Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.firstcrush.com/
- Phone: (415) 982-7874
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am-2pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Neil Marquis
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: SHN patrons - show your theater tickets for a free dessert with purchase of any entree.
A word from First Crush Restaurant Wine Bar & Lounge
First Crush promotes a “casual upscale” atmosphere for individuals, private events and large parties in the heart of San Francisco’s Union Square district, offering hand-crafted quality food using the freshest ingredients complemented with a massive all-California wine list - served affordably with professional service in an energetic, lively environment.Continued
The restaurant has been awarded the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence for 2001-2014.
The restaurant has been awarded the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence for 2001-2014.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
First Crush Restaurant Wine Bar & Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (44)fit for foodies (43)neighborhood gem (31)romantic (17)great for brunch (16)special occasion (16)late-night find (11)good for groups (11)vibrant bar scene (7)great for lunch (6)hot spot (6)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Always look forward to eating hereTeresaVIPDined on 11/20/2014I've eaten here several times. The food and ambiance never disappoint. I was a bit surprised by the wine list. I seem to recall in past visits that it would take me a few minutes to decide which of the great choices of wine I'd want. But this time the list was pretty average and I feel happy to have found one. Though I did enjoy that one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small plates and wineScottVIPDined on 11/17/2014Great small plate menu. The scallops and Lobster Mac N Cheese were outstanding. Extensive wine list focusing on boutique California vintners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and wine!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014I recently visited San Francisco for a birthday weekend getaway. While staying in Union Square I dined at First Crush for my husbands birthday. This is a great place to celebrate or just to have a delicious meal. The service was outstanding and the wine and food were top notch. I will return to First Crush when visiting San Francisco again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for pre-theater dinnerFoodieVIPDined on 11/14/2014The four of us had a 6 p.m. reservation here for a pre-theater dinner. We were seated promptly and received good service throughout the evening. Three of us had the burger - the one requested medium came out quite dry and despite being described as Kobe beef tasted very average. We also had the "Airline" chicken which was served over red pepper risotto and was delicious. Wine list was okay but a bit confusing. The wines that were listed were good. Would recommend to seafood lovers in search of a good pre-theater dinner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Small Wonderful RestaurantRogerDined on 11/8/2014For being in the middle of a very tourist neighborhood, this is a very quality restaurant. It is a small place, seating about 48 people. We were staying at Hotel Nikko which is across the street. Obviously very easy to get to. You have choices of small plates or large. We each had a salad and a small plate, which was plenty. Though they have a very excellent wine menu, our martini's were large, cold and delicious. We were never rushed, even though they had a wait for tables on a Saturday night. They have a good diverse menu with something for everyone. Tables are close, but not to the point that you are sharing the conversation with your neighbor. Overall, a very nice restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely meal for 2EventMoeVIPDined on 11/8/2014This is a wonderful spot for a romantic dinner or just an evening out with a friend. The food and service were excellent. The wine flights were wonderfully paired to fit. I will be going back for a dinner for 2 - 4 people. Anything over 4 is a bit crowded.Special Features:
- Nice time had by allSanjosedinerVIPDined on 11/8/2014Had a nice dinner with good service. The chicken was a bit dry, but the salmon was really tasty. Scallops are wildly overpriced ($25 for 4 normal sized scallops), so I'd avoid those. But the pumpkin gnocchi was spectacular! Nice small plates all the way around and salads were very tasty and beautifully displayed. Plan on going back!Special Features:
- DisappointedPaulSVIPDined on 11/6/2014This was a recommended visit and was anticipated to be a romantic restaurant. Instead it was a bar with some food. Limited menu. Very strange idea of service. If you're not there to drink a lot of wine, you will be disappointed. Our order was taken by a woman, who from her attire, could not be distinguished from a patron. We never saw her again and no one paid any attention to us until our food was served. We specifically mentioned to "this woman" that we were told to ask to say hello to "Amanda (owner?), from an Open Table employee. Amanda never came by to say hello.Special Features:
- a haven from shoppingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/28/2014Wine flights to pair with the ubiquitous burger and fries makes an ordinary experience more enjoyable. The flight combinations are interesting and you have a lot of choice and range. If you are close by because of shopping it can be a relief to step out of the hubbub of Union Square and have something to eat.Special Features:
- Fabulous SteakKendraDined on 10/28/2014My colleagues and I dined here and I had the skirt steak chimichurri, it was fabulous! The wine was great as well. I highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- California wine specialistssmithbergerDined on 10/25/2014Their extensive Wine Spectator awarded wine list features all California wines. They offer several different 'flights' giving patrons a chance to try several wines with dinner. Waiters know the wines and can help with choices. Food was fantastic--California local produce, flavors and tastes. While the restaurant got rather loud with several noisy groups, once those tables cleared we were able to really enjoy our last dinner out in San Fran.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodDiscerningDinerDined on 10/21/2014Whenever we visit San Francisco, we have at least one dinner here. The food is fresh, well-prepared and always enjoyable. Definitely recommend it.Special Features:
- DinnerSpicyDined on 10/18/2014Dinner was wonderful, service was superb. I have eaten at First Crush the sat nite before the woman's nike half marathon for the past 3 years...it has never disappointed!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vino Freaks Love itNicospeakDined on 10/17/2014Great wine selection. Try a flight for a great deal. The Sommelier Flight never misses. Request to sit upstairs for the best experience. Your close to the bar, watch the crowds walk by, kind of dark and romantic...it's a great place for a night out if you don't feel like fighting crowds at a traditional bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kk23Dined on 10/17/2014The food was flavorful and service was good. The best bread pudding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reservation not honored overpricedvenophileDined on 10/15/2014We showed up for a 6:30 reservation at 6:20 and were not seated until 7pm even though there were tables open. Hostess seemed overwhelmed and confused. Our server was excellent and fast but the food was good - not great. Fabulous wine listSpecial Features:
- Fun night outRTBRDined on 10/15/2014Food was pretty good, wine flights were awesome. Service was inconsistent. Asked for bread to snack on while waiting and were told "we'll bring bread after you order". Asked for wine flights to come out by course but after first flight they rushed the rest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YesSirVIPDined on 10/12/2014no televisions at bar. Not recommended for sports games.Special Features:
- Don't expect too much!SportyspiceDined on 10/12/2014Restaurant is small, won't say it's cozy. I made an early reservation for 2 and the hostess seated us at the worst table while the restaurant is 3/4 empty. On top, it took 15 minutes for the waiter to come by with the menu. I highly NOT recommend to dine here, plus food was just ok and pricy. It is not worth the time and the money!
- Wine Bar with good foodMartinDined on 10/9/2014A wine bar with a big wine assortment (US wines) but they have also good beers. The Food quality i's good.Special Features:
- overpricedFoodLoverVIPDined on 10/9/2014I think it's an overpriced tourist trap and I wasn't that into it and wouldn't recommend it. My scallops were good, but not $25 good, especially because it was on the small plates menu. The highlight was the bread pudding for sure. I'd go back for that, but nothing else. My experience with the waiter wasn't that great either. We had to call him over to the table to order after at least 15 mins of waiting. I ended up changing my order about 3 mins after he took it from the half order of scallops to the full and he seemed annoyed. He still ended up bringing the wrong thing to the table and again seemed annoyed and blamed me for his mistake. On the service size, the hostess was very pleasant and made the experience a bit more tolerable.
- First Crush is Always FabHollywoodDined on 10/9/2014We are regulars at First Crush. We had the server who has been there the longest and he was right on point. Just the right amount of attention. The food was delicious as always. Although their lobster mac and cheese seemed to be different. The lobster was on top vs. mixed in. And the noodles seemed different and/or slightly overcooked. They need to go back to mixing in the lobster. Overall, wonderful dinner. You must get a wine flight if you go. That's one of the best parts of First Crush!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulkcsunshine1956Dined on 10/4/2014This is the third time wev'e dined at the First Crush it's been great each time. There are always new things on the menue and the wine list is great. We were a little late this last time because of the Giants game the staff is always so nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upstairs/DownstairsTBoneCostanzaDined on 10/4/2014Last time here we sat upstairs - this time downstairs - upstairs is betterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014Great pre-theater dinner spot! Quiet, great menu. Probably needed another server on duty in lower level. Good wine flights. Enjoyed very much.Special Features:
- A small place with good foodMarcTVIPDined on 9/25/2014My wife and I went here for the first time on a Thursday night. The place is fairly small and you sit fairly close to your fellow diners. Not sure if it was just some people were particularly loud or not, but it was pretty noisy that night. Our server was fairly soft-spoken and hard to hear over the noise, and to be honest, he didn't have much personality. The food was very good--my wife had scallops and I had some pasta. Drinks were good and the truffles for dessert were really tasty!Special Features:
- Unusual dishesTravelgirlDined on 9/17/2014Interesting blend of tastes cooked to perfection. Cozy and comfortable with a lively atmosphere. Large wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recommend a friend?---maybeOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/17/2014Given their reputation the food was disappointingly a little above average perhaps; interestingly they seemed unable to cook anything to order this night but, since we were on the way to a play, no one had time to send it back or address the issues with waiter...still, the waiter was great and, given a better night in the kitchen, this could be a great place for groups!Special Features:
- My favorite spotBizLuncherDined on 9/15/2014I love First Crush! This is my favorite place for Halibut, and the wine is delicious! It is a bit pricey, but worth it! I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Good FoodAmazonLocalDealDined on 9/14/2014The food was good and $$$ if not for amazon local (13 for 26) it would have been to much. People and staff could not have been friendlier that was nice. There were only two other tables eating so the service was outstanding ( everyone over and over stopped to ask how is everything the attention was nice but just a little to much, let me eat.Special Features:
- Birthday brunchSweetieVIPDined on 9/13/2014Met a good friend for her birthday brunch Sat. We enjoyed a very fine meal, the staff brought her the world-famous chocolate decadence for her birthday cake. Needless to say, after the candle was extinguished and the singing done (mine) she and I lingered...yum! Very nice place for special occasions...staff very attentive without being intrusive. I just wish chef would bring back apple scramble! Check it out. You will be pleased.Special Features:
- Great spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Excellent food, very nice facility. We make a short notice reservation for a group of 10. First Crush was very accommodating. Food was excellent.Special Features:
- What has happened?OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/4/2014Have not dined here in over a year and feel the quality of food and service has diminished. I ordered a $37 Rib eye and it was the thinest, over cooked (I ordered it rare and it came out Medium Well) bland piece of meat. Definitely not worth that price. Use to think this was a hidden gem but feel this did not meet up to past experiences especially for the price. I think you can find many better options now in that neighborhood with better food and service. I won't be hurrying back.
- Fancy flights and food!theatremomDined on 8/31/2014Brought a friend who fancies herself on being a wine connoisseur and foodie, and I think she was quite happy with First Crush! We both prefer reds so she chose the reds flight and I chose the Pinot flight, and we shared and enjoyed our selections. A lover of stinky and cow cheese, my friend was a little disappointed in the cheese selections since she doesn't like goat or sheep cheeses (which I didn't know), but we nibbled away at a double-bleu cheese and brie flight of their cheese platter. We ordered small plates of the ravioli and lobster mac cheese to share, and swiped both delicious dishes clean with the soft light bread that accompanied every table, including a yummy pesto dip I might add. Hope to return again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointmentten4587Dined on 8/30/2014The server was initially attentive but once we ordered that was the end of any attention from the server. Took almost 15 minutes to get our wine. We had to ask for bread and our entree's arrived 30 seconds later. Apparently they were in a hurry to move us along. We were never asked nor offered any additional wine. I ordered the halibut and truffle fries. The fries were great, however the halibut was tasteless. My husband had the cioppino which was the worst he has ever had. It was extremely salty, so much so that he couldn't eat it. The owner asked if we wanted something else but at this point we were done. The owner comp'd dessert for my husband, strawberry shortcake which he said was good. Needless to say, we won't be back.
- Neighborhood ExcellenceSandyOVIPDined on 8/30/2014Wonderful food and service.wine list- all California- is excellent. The restaurant is small and very noisy.Special Features:
- good food but too loudoldfoodcriticDined on 8/17/2014The scallops were excellent. seasoning and taste were very good. However, the salmon was slightly overcooked. the lamb was also a touch beyond medium rare (what we wanted) service pleasant. wine list impressive WORK ON THE SOUND LEVEL. IT'S PAINFULSpecial Features:
- glovesmVIPDined on 8/16/2014The food was fine, nothing seemed to wow me. The plates seemed a bit complicated with too many things going on. My favorite thing was the pan roasted scallops. The steak had a weird sauce, almost barbeque on it, and not a nice sear so I was quite disappointed with it.
- HospitalityOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/10/2014We found First Crush to be very accommodating to our group of 5 with a last minute reservation. Menu has lots of variety and I had enjoyed a delicious flounder earlier in the week here. Tonight I was in the mood for a burger and the Kobe burger was done just the way I wanted. The wine list had lots of variety for our group as 3 enjoyed flights of red with generous glasses given. Service was very friendly and we enjoyed ourselves very much.Special Features:
- TatiannaDined on 8/10/2014Food are good but a bit pricey. Service is good , prime location, recommend for special occasion.Special Features: