First and Sixth
611 S. Jefferson St
Roanoke, VA 24011Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
First and Sixth
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.firstandsixth.com/
- Phone: 5404008082
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:30 am - 2:30 pm;
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Southern
- Executive Chef: Mike Bamber
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer a large selection of finely prepared foods for your special event.
- Private Party Facilities: Just off the main dining room is the gorgeous Liberty Board Room, with seating for up to twenty guests. Separate audio and video options available.
- Private Party Contact: Robb Miller 540-400-8082
- Entertainment: We offer live, local musicians most weekends in the Lounge.
A word from First and Sixth
First & Sixth, An American Eatery serves upscale Southern cuisine in an elegant downtown atmosphere. Located in the historic Patrick Henry, the restaurant and lounge offer a full bar with attentive service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
First and Sixth reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (8)romantic (6)fit for foodies (3)good for groups (3)great for brunch (2)neighborhood gem (2)great for lunch (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- disappointedrnjmsDined on 7/19/2014Crabcakes were good but ribeyes not so much! I can grill a better streak.Special Features:
- Excellent Dinner!DanODined on 7/11/2014Came for our anniversary and had a wonderful dining experience. The tuna and salmon were both out but there were so many delicious options that it was not a problem. Wine list was very nice as well. Will definately return!Special Features:
- Nice place for a dateroanokedinersDined on 7/3/2014My girlfriend and I decided to go here with another couple for a double date. The restaurant has a nice ambiance and the service was good. We have been there a few times and the food has come out relatively slow every time, so if your on a tight schedule you may want to tell them upfront. The food is however excellent which is why we have given them multiple tries despite it taking over an hour to get our food the first time.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantFantasticDined on 7/3/2014What a hidden gem! Loved the food, great wine and super service.Special Features:
- The following 206 reviews are from the First and Sixth reviews archive.
- Hit and Miss on the foodJorbaDined on 6/2/2014My first experience at first and sixth was exceptional. The food was fantastic, the staff fell over themselves to be helpful. Couldn't have asked for more. I thought I'd made a real find. My second visit was fairly unimpressive. The service was good, but nothing like the first visit. But the food was the real problem. It wasn't bad, but it was very ordinary. On my first visit, I would have compared it favorably with some of the best restaurants in Europe. On the second visit, it was just a standard bistro. I have a sneaking suspicion that there are at least two chefs at work here, so it's a question of getting the timing right. The great experience was on a weekend, the ordinary one was midweek.Special Features:
- First and SixthReminisVIPDined on 5/24/2014Always good. We enjoy a romantic dinner or Sunday brunch.Special Features:
- First VIsit not the lastOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/16/2014We were pleased with the service and the food. Our Server was very attentive and answered all our questions. The food was prepared just as we ordered and served with the appropriate amount of time between courses. We would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/27/2014I'VE BEEN HERE SEVERAL TIMES BECAUSE OF THE FOOD. ALWAYS HOPING THAT THE SERVICE WILL IMPROVE , BIG DISAPPOINTMENT! WE HAD TO ASK WAIT-STAFF TO TRACK DOWN OUR WAITER. ONCE WE ORDERED WE WAITED A WHILE TO BE SERVED.THEN SPOTTED THE "MANAGER" WALK BY WITH OUR ORDER ONLY TO RETURN TO THE KITCHEN. OUR WAITER STOPPED BY TO CHECK ON US. UPON FIND LACK OF SERVICE , RETURNED TO KITCHEN WHERE "MANAGER" , WAITER VERBALLY FAUGHT. I BELIEVE I'VE GIVEN THIS RESTURANT MORE THAN ENOUGH TRIES.
- Poor "fine" dining experiencedisappointedDined on 4/27/2014I have never had an experience eating out like my experience at First & Sixth. We went for Sunday Brunch to celebrate my birthday and it was as if nobody realized we were even in the restaurant. Our reservation was at 1:15 and nobody even acknowledged us until 1:40pm. When we asked the next guy whose attention we could get who appeared to work at the restaurant if he was our waiter he commented "I guess I could be." WHAT... the waiter tried to serve us someone elses order twice and when what we ordered finally came it left much to be desired. A very watered down Caesar salad with what was suppose to be chicken but didn't taste like it. The waiter realized we weren't pleased and didn't charge us for the chicken but still I would not go back.Special Features:
- ExcellentJorbaDined on 4/24/2014The food was great and the staff couldnt do enough for us. Even to opening a bottle of wine that they dont normally sell by the glass to ensure we were happy. They bent over backwards. Cannot recommend it highly enough.Special Features:
- FlavorfulLovePrintWorksDined on 4/18/2014Food was excellent, service was very good. The decor is beautiful, and the restaurant is surprisingly easy to get to for a downtown location. For those who like late dinners and entertainment, you might want to wait until 9 on Fridays and weekends--that's when the live music starts.Special Features:
- Don't miss this one!RoyMDined on 4/11/2014This restaurant was recommended to us by friends and was exactly what they had suggested --- GREAT food, GREAT service! Definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly subparmalawtoDined on 3/22/2014We were a bit surprised to show up for our reservation and find the place nearly deserted on a Saturday night. Troubling. We started with an appetizer of scallops, which were terrific. Unfortunately that was the best of the evening. I had the Carolina Grouper with Shrimp and Potato Hash, Butternut Squash Puree. The grouper was extremely bland but found good competition for most bland part of the meal with the shrimp and potato hash, which may well have been cardboard for want of flavor. Was there shrimp? I don't know. I do know that puree didn't help. I was very disappointed. My wife had the Blackened Salmon with Crawfish and Andouille Sausage Penne Pasta. This was pretty good, but disjointed. We could get the same at Applebees.
- Very nice dining experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/22/2014My girlfriend and I were celebrating a special occasion. We had a wonderful dining experience on our trip to First & Sixth. We'll be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!EpimediumDined on 3/15/2014I don't know when I've enjoyed dining so much. The food was outstanding; the five year old in our party was very well behaved; some of the folks in our party hadn't spent any time together in 30 years; the waitstaff, especially our waitress, Angela, was superb. It was great that all these things were so great, because the food arrival was soooo slow. Not Angela's fault at all, and it was worth the wait. But a three hour dinner with a two hour wait before the entrees arrived is pretty bad. Glad we were having such a good time! Will return!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had a fun timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014I had a group of 6. We spent a very pleasant evening. The food wasgood. The atmosphere was great. Overalla lovely evening. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinDinAnniversaryDinDinDined on 3/7/2014Very nice place, pretty and food was delicious but service was a little slow consider in small crowd. A bit pricey for the area but we would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulBunnyDined on 2/14/2014We enjoyed our Valentine's Day dinner and evening very much. The food and service was excellent. We started off with the Fifth and Sixth cheese selection and wine. We then shared an excellent salad. Our main course was delish! A great place to dine for a special occasion or an evening out with your special date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unprofessional ServiceroanokedinerDined on 2/7/2014The food was great, the atmosphere was OK. The service was well below standard. Our waitress not only seated us, served us but was also the bartender. She was lax in her etiquette when it comes to a high end restaurant. But what really was the topper was how our wine was served. she simply unscrewed the top (not her fault but that is another issue) and poured two glasses of wine - no presenting the bottle, no tasting, no ceremony at all. And then she could not find a wine chiller. So our bottle sat on the table, opened because she took the screw top, until a champagne bucket with ice was found, part way through dinner. What has happened to service and elegance in Roanoke?I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!PagersDined on 2/1/2014From the fresh baked bread and honey butter, to the crab dip, shrimp scampi, and creme brulee, it was all excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All Good!2wholuvRkeDined on 1/25/2014My husband's ribeye tender & cooked a perfect medium and my shrimp scampi over angel hair pasta very tasty. Our friends are from Charleston, SC and very picky about their shrimp and grits, only comment - delicious and, also the beef medalions. Salads were fresh and crisp. Not a crumb left of the deserts. Service was execellent. We'll be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We waited 95 mins for food..wayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/24/2014We waited 95 mins for food..way too long. Have been here before and is usually great service. Other than that...wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Me and my friend went hereTLynnzDined on 1/23/2014Me and my friend went here for restaurant week. It was our first time and I made reservations over the net. We arrived right on time but I still waited about 10 min to be seated. The hostess apologized and I didnt make a big deal out of it. Our server came over fast and she as great about explaining the menu to us. She was nice and funny and very attentive. Our appetizers came out quickly, we ordered pork wings which was small but very good. Our main course took a long time to come out but the guy who bought them out was very polite. I ordered the new york strip cooked medium. It was tasty but it was cooked more like medium rare to rare! For dessert I ordered the cola cake. All in all I enjoyed it and would return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very pleasurable experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/23/2014A very pleasurable experience with tasty and lovely presented items. Layers of flavor and balance of flavors was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a quiet business dinnerroanokedinersDined on 1/22/2014I went here with a small group of colleagues, the atmosphere is nice and not too loud which makes it great for small groups who would rather have discussions rather than listen to loud bands. The food was excellent as was the service. All in all a great place for business dinners.Special Features:
- Brunch winneryauponVIPDined on 1/19/2014There's something for everyone on this Cajun-inspired brunch menu; we stuck mostly to the breakfast side with fabulous banana bread french toast, biscuits with sausage gravy, eggs benedict, and country ham with eggs and a biscuit but had to branch out with a bowl of chicken and sausage gumbo. Wish we'd been a larger party so someone could have ordered the shrimp and grits! Bloody Mary bar lets you mix it up to suit your own heat level. Our server Teema was lovely - right there when we needed her but not intrusive. Prices and serving sizes were reasonable (so often brunch is an expensive exercise in gluttony). Will look forward to a return visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will dine againgoodatmosphereDined on 1/17/2014Great food, great atmosphere, excellent service. I would definitely dine again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- simply amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013Asha was as good of a server as it gets. She was gave superior service without being intrusive ti our dining experience. The dishes were well paired and were fresh and delicious. Thank you for a superb first experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in RoanokePhilVIPDined on 12/23/2013This is our favorite restaurant in Roanoke. Food and service are always outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/23/2013Had a very tasty meal attended by a really good waiter. Would not change a thing. So enjoyable. Great food without being precious about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The place was very nice andHectorDined on 12/22/2013The place was very nice and clean. The atmosphere was professional. We went for Sunday brunch. I don't think the restaurant was ready for an after church crowd showing up at the same time. We had reservations and were immediately seated, but the service was slow and it took a long time to receive our brunch. Not enough kitchen staff??Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for New Year's eve, setOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/22/2013Went for New Year's eve, set menu. Was one of the first seatings. When it was time for dessert, was told that the restaurant "was out" of what I had ordered, however a table that had 4 times as many people and was seated an hour after me, was given the dessert. When I mentioned this to the manager, he "magically found" a dessert for me. I was still a little upset that others were given a dessert that supposedly had sold out and the chef then came out and said "you have the dessert, what's the problem?". Despite amazing food and great service, I will never again recommend this restaurant because of the way I was treated.
- Not bad, but...starvalleyguyDined on 12/19/2013Our pre-theater reservation was earlier than we usually dine, so we weren't sure what to expect from this downtown eatery, whose bar we enjoy frequently. We anticipated a quiet venue, and that was indeed the case. What we didn't expect was a restaurant still seemingly in the throes of prep work as servers scurried about setting tables, servicing the bar, etc. Preoccupied with these duties our service was slow and the meals good but not great. My crab cake was flavorful but mostly filler, the Caesar salad crisp, and the asparagus cooked properly al dente. The iced tea, however, tasted of burnt coffee, as if it had been brewed in a coffee maker long past its prime. Good, but uninspiring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch with Bloody Mary'sOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/24/2013Four of my girlfriends and I recently visited for the Sunday brunch and were quite pleased with the food, the service AND the beverages. They have a bloody Mary bar (or you can have the bartender prepare them for you) that was well stocked with all the fixings like horseradish, hot sauce, olives, etc. Three of us enjoyed the Chesapeake Benedict which included TWO crab cakes with a side of house potatoes. One orders the Sunday Special Pancakes which happen to be strawberry and not only where strawberries served on the side but they were in the batter. Another had the special omelet of the day which was one of the largest omelets I have ever seen. It was a wonderful Sunday brunch and I would highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a great eveningcrazycatlady123Dined on 11/18/2013what a wonderful time we had ! food/drinks/service- - - everything was top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st and 6th - good preconcert dininNokenightoutDined on 11/15/2013Our group of 6 hit the 1st and 6th for a pre-concert outing. The bar staff was very helpful and attentive. Beer selection was good, and the appetizers arrived quickly and were quite tasty (oyers on the half shell, especially). The meal was a touch pricey, but quality was very high. Service was very good as well with plenty of attentive staff. Recommended dishes from the group (and from friendly folks eating at the bar): rack of lamb, Carolina grouper, crab cakes, and beef medalions. Excellent location in dowtown Roanoke -- pay it a visit. Only oddity was that reservation service said there were not any at the time we originally selected, but at that time restaurant was not nearly full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch gemOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/10/2013Shrimp and grits with Tasso gravy was as good as I have had. The Chesapeake Benedict was very nicely done as well. Excellent bernaise sauce wither the eggs over crab cakes and topped with lump crab. Top that with a good Bloody Mary bar and excellent coffee and you have a well done brunch. The service was knowledgeable and well timed. Will definately go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet and deliciousCardNationDined on 11/7/2013My two requirements for a romantic evening out at a restaurant, First and Sixth was quiet and the food was delicious. The ambiance was great, not too busy, but just crowded enough to not make me think twice about the place. We ordered the crab/goat cheese and crostini appetizer. Delicious and more than enough for two people. As for entrees, I ordered the crab cake dinner with cheese grits and bacon brussel sprouts. The flavors were divine and my dinner mate finished off my plate for me! My dinner partner in crime ordered the grouper which he said was good, but not as good as what I had ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last Minute Group of 10LastMinuteDinerVIPDined on 10/18/2013We made a last minute reservation for a group of ten. The restaurant wisely but the group in a separate room that can be closed off from the rest of the restaurant. In this group there were 6 separate checks which they gladly did, albeit with a 20% gratuity added. The serve earned every bit of the gratuity. The food was quite good with a range of choices that everyone seems to appreciate.Special Features:
- Highly recommendPoppaDined on 10/12/2013What a delightful surprise to find this restaurant on our way home. Worth a long drive to dine thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.