First & Hope
710 W. 1st Street
Los Angeles, CA 90012Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
First & Hope
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.firstandhope.com/
- Phone: 2136178555
- Hours of Operation:
Tue - Thurs, 5:00PM-8:00PM, BAR MENU 'til 10:00PM
Fri & Sat, 5:00PM 'til 8:00PM, BAR MENU 'til 11:00PM
Sun 4:30PM-8:00PM, BAR MENU 'til 10:00PM
HAPPY HOUR - "$5 @ 5:00 SOCIAL SOIREE"
$5/$8/$10 bar bites, $5 beer,wine, and well cocktails! Join us Tue.-Sun. from 5:00PM-until we close.
Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday - Shows, days and times vary, please check our website for more information. (www.firstandhope.com/barfedora click "Shows.")
SUNDAYS - UN-CABARET: Join Beth Lapedis and Mitch Kaplan for one of the best, most unique comedy and music shows in L.A.!
Guest performers have included: Sandra Bernhard, Kevin Nealon, Margaret Cho, Scott Thompson, Jennifer Coolidge, Roseanne Barr and plenty of surprise guests. You never know who might pop in to tickle your funny bone.
TICKETS and INFO: Visit www.firstandhope.com/barfedora/ then click on "Shows.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ben Golub
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Full service plated dinners, buffet service or tasty hors d'oeuvres and cocktails or live entertainment if you wish. First & Hope makes your special occasion delicious, carefree and memorable. For availability, menus and pricing, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Entertainment: Fedora at First & Hope features a variety of live jazz,broadway,vocalists and more on weekend nights. Check our website for latest bookings - http://firstandhope.com/barfedora/. The Fedora features all of our handcrafted cocktails along with our wine and beer list. Full dinner and bar bar menus, both available.
- Special Events: For special event or location booking, please email email@example.com
- Cross Street: First and Hope Streets
- Public Transit: We're two blocks up 1st Street from the Civic Center station on the Metro Red Line. Dash 'A' Bus stops in front of the restaurant every 10 mins on weekdays until 6:30PM.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Parking available in the Promenade Plaza Garage. $8 per vehicle in Promenade Garage under First & Hope. Park with us before the theatre for dinner and join us after the show.
A word from First & Hope
Casual fine dining restaurant features Modern American Comfort Food all grown up and reinvented with a sophisticated downtown LA twist. Pre and Post Theatre dining. Bar Fedora at First & Hope features Jazz, Pop, & Broadway on weekends. Enjoy swanky, delicious cocktails along with an eclectic wine list. First & Hope is closed on MONDAY.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
First & Hope reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great place for a pre theaterPointhoarderVIPDined on 12/1/2012Great place for a pre theater drink and appetizers. Especially liked the beet salad.
- Come for the music, not the serviceTrueFoodieDined on 11/17/2012We were having dinner before a concert at Disney Hall. I thought this would be good and relaxing as it is right across the street. Our server took our order and then disappeared. We waited ages to have water refills and our dinner took an hour to get to us. We were only four. At the end on our way out, we couldn't get anyone to retrieve our coats even though the Host had taked them from us when we arrive. All in all, not too professional. The food was good but not hot. The wine list is nothing special. I would say if you are coming for the bar and the music, this is the right place for you.Special Features:
- Terrific food and excellent servicebhDRVIPDined on 11/17/2012Food and service is always outstanding. Just a tad slow in getting our bill (we had a show to go to) but everything else was served well within our anticipated timing. We love this restaurant before shows at the Music Center (do alow for plenty of time jist to be safe, esp on days when all theaters have shows at the same time). Very interesting menu which rotates at just the right time every few months so you never get bored with it.Special Features:
- Best in area by farDiDiDined on 11/16/2012Greatly improved menu offering more variety. Chef offers interesting sauces and creative accompaniments . Appreciated the Kumo Motos So fresh!, Can't beat location for an evening at Disney or Dorothy Chandler or CTG Theaters. We like the atmosphere and service is improving.Special Features:
- Great for pre-theatre dinnersJavaDog88VIPDined on 11/10/2012Great for pre-theatre dinners for The Music Center and Disney Concert Hall. Great cocktails!Special Features:
- Very good food, again. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/9/2012Very good food, again. The artichoke soup, the trout in parchment, and the chocolate amore were noteworthy. Unfortunately, we were seated next to a very loud and obnoxious couple, but otherwise it was fine meal.
- Wonderful interpretationsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/3/2012Wonderful interpretations of classic American cuisine. The braised short ribs are incredible. First & Hope never disappoints.
- First & Hope was welcomingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/3/2012First & Hope was welcoming and attentive and the ambiance was lovely. Overall, the food was very good, however, I ordered the "Anchor Steamed" mussels (small plates), which were delicious but about half of the shells were empty. I mentioned it to the maitre d' and he removed the charge from the bill, which I thought was the right thing to do. I would favorably recommend this restaurant.
- We really enjoyed the charredOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/3/2012We really enjoyed the charred Caesar Salad. We both had trout in parchment, though with different sides. My fish was very moist, but my wife's was quite dry. Service was very attentive. We might go again, although I thought the prices were slightly high for the food.
- Can't say I recommend it.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/31/2012Can't say I recommend it. Although food was tasty the service was haphazard and items had to be redone or sent back. Wait to see if it gets better.
- Deserves More Time to Get It RightDiDiDined on 10/30/2012Location! Location! Location! This is best spot for pre-concert or pre-Theater at Dorothy Chandler or Disney. Food is better than average and you can see that the chef knows what he/she's doing. Seems to be a disconnect between the wait staff and the kitchen that needs to be addressed, but they are friendly and trying. The Hosts could be more welcoming--a little too haughty and unfriendly. Don't bother to place special requests on Open Table; He doesn't bother to read them. If you are a season-ticket holder, you might get bored with the menu. Needs expansion and more variety. How many times can you eat short ribs braised in coca cola (which is too sweet for my taste) or roast chicken (which is excellent, but really $25 for roast chick?
- Limited menu but everythingfoodforthoughtVIPDined on 10/30/2012Limited menu but everything was good. Service fine but waiter was rushed because of crowds. Our main problem was that I'd asked for a specific table on Opentable and even called to remind them I wanted a specific table. But when we got there, they had no record of that request so whoever I talked to just ignored me. That's annoying.Special Features:
- I was very pleased to findLACTGregularDined on 10/27/2012I was very pleased to find a quiet restaurant - a very rare occurrence in LA.
- Has slipped from good to fair.dineoutVIPDined on 10/27/2012Has slipped from good to fair. No adult in the kitchen keeping an eye on what comes out to the diners. Ordered one entree, what was delivered looked very different. A "surprise" entree.
- Great in the evening, quietPSmithVIPDined on 10/26/2012Great in the evening, quiet and very attentive staff. Small menu, but always tasty and fresh!Special Features:
- This is a really nice andJoanDined on 10/24/2012This is a really nice and convenient place to go before plays or concerts. It feels a little special, the service is quick and friendly.
- Contrary to some prior experiences,TioBoniVIPDined on 10/23/2012Contrary to some prior experiences, dinner at First and Hope was a fine experience. The salmon was prepared to perfection and the short ribs fell off the bone and tasted great. We were asked if we had a curtain time, which we did, and the excellent and attentive server made sure we had our last course, an excellent apple crisp, and were out the door in plenty of time to make the short walk to our event.Special Features:
- Delicious, but limited and3Cheers4GoodFoodVIPDined on 10/21/2012Delicious, but limited and pricey, menu that changes based on seasonal ingredients. I've dined here a few times before seeing a show at the Music Center and have never been disappointed with the food. If you have theatre tickets, they are very careful to make sure your food arrives in a timely manner so that you aren't late. That said, I would strongly recommend making a reservation at least 1hr 30min before curtain because it can get hectic with pre-theatre diners. The restaurant is beautiful. There's also a music venue in the back (Bar Fedora) that I haven't had a chance to check out yet.Special Features:
- Poor Choice for a Ladies NightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/20/2012They ran out of a lot if choices on the menu. The hostess was the waitress. It took 10 minutes to be seated even though the restaurant was empty.Special Features:
- It is such a shame that aRichLADined on 10/20/2012It is such a shame that a restaurant with a great location (close to the Music Center), beautiful decor and atmosphere, and generally very good food is plagued by management problems so severe that I won't be returning to this restaurant. We made a reservation for 6:15pm on a Saturday night, thinking that was plenty of time to eat before an 8pm show. At the front desk, there was a long line of people waiting to be seated. OK. When it came to our turn in line, the host (manager?) asked the people behind us when there reservation was - they arrived at 6:20pm for a 6pm reservation and we arrived at 6:15pm for a 6:15pm reservation... and they were seated first! Long story short, after being seated waited for 15 minutes for a server to
- Lights on - nobody home!Shodo13VIPDined on 10/20/2012Well I don't know what to say about this place because we never got to actually eat there. We had a pre-theater reservation but when we showed up, there was no host/hostess. We stood there for 15 minutes waiting, tick tick tick, then we asked a waitress where the host was and she said he was "busy". We waited some more and she finally agreed to seat us herself. But no menu, no water, tick tick tick, we looked down the bank of tables and NO ONE HAD ANY FOOD - WTF!!! After 20 minutes we told the bartender we were leaving as we had to make it to the theatre - didn't seem to care much. Felt like we entered the Twilight Zone there - oy.
- To begin, it appeared theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/20/2012To begin, it appeared the server did her very best. However; we went pre-theater with a 7:30 curtain. We sat at 6pm for a 5:45 reservation (due to freeway traffic), one of us was late by 10 min. Ordered 1 salad to split and 2 entrees. Salad came around 7. It was so small we thought it had been split for us in the kitchen and only one was brought out. Then first entree at 7:10. When we left at 7:20 (racing to theater) server was still trying to bring us the 2nd entree. Seemed to be a perfect storm of everything running late.
- The thing I love most aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/19/2012The thing I love most about First and Hope is that I can park there and eat, and walk across the street to the Music Center. That said, I was the most impressed I've been since frequenting F&H regarding the food. I enjoyed my meal thoroughly and thought the quality and the portions greatly improved. The manager came around as we were leaving and asked how things went. Our waiter reminded me of Salvator Dali and was worthy and notable on service. Everything came just as we ordered and special requests were handled with utmost respect and politeness.Special Features:
- Great for dinner to go alongOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/16/2012Great for dinner to go along with a trip to the Music Center.
- Good service, ok food, goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/14/2012Good service, ok food, good wine by the glass. Not great, not terrible.
- See my review on tripadvisorOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/13/2012See my review on tripadvisor for comprehensive coverage. Do not waste your time or money on this place.
- Everything was very pleasantWinoVIPDined on 10/13/2012Everything was very pleasant , including the servers but the service was problematically slow. We informed out server that we had 8 pm theater tickets when we arrived @ 6:15, but our main course didn't arrive until 7:15.Special Features:
- Mehsdr1066Dined on 10/13/2012The food is just OK. Too pricey. The only thing it has going for it is the convenience to the Music Center.Special Features:
- Good Food. Service Lacking!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/10/2012We have been to First&Hope several times. We arrived at 5:45pm and were attending a 7:30pm event. As mentioned by others, the Kitchen isn't up to the task of preparing orders in a timely manner. We informed the waiter of our show time and we were assured that it would be no problem. At 5:45pm, the place was at 30%. Around 6:15pm, the place was pretty full but since we had ordered, first in first out, Right? Wrong! We saw several tables served long after we arrived. The Food was never an issue. Just the Service. It was a shame that our food came out at 7pm and we had to wolf it down. Just Very Disappointed with what Had been a Music Center Favorite for us!Special Features:
- Great ambience with romanticOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/10/2012Great ambience with romantic dim lights. very calm. Service was great. But, food is average.Special Features:
- this is convenient to MusicmillerVIPDined on 10/9/2012this is convenient to Music Center & Disney Hall, which is why i gave it a try. But i would not repeat unless Kendall's was fully booked, as it was this time.
- Good food, but a limited menu.PilotDonDined on 10/6/2012Good food, but a limited menu. Very convenient to the music center with good parking in the building. You can park for dinner and leave it through the show.Special Features:
- So so experience, not so good serviOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/6/2012Very slow service the night we were there. The food was good, but the waiter should have told us that the salmon dish I was sharing with my friend was a very small portion. We would have each ordered our own in that case. Bread served was very skimpy - Three small pieces for 4 of us! Overall, we weren't thrilled with the experience.Special Features:
- I brought a group of businessVIPOTVIPDined on 10/4/2012I brought a group of business people here as per the JW Marriott's recommendation. There were few people in the restaurant at 7 p.m. While the food was delicious and I thought the waiter was very gracious, the restaurant ran out of steak. Which my boss was not happy about. I loved my beet salad and salmon with the corn flan. That was unbelievable. Good luck!Special Features:
- Tradeoffs for proximity to showsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/29/2012Being next to DIsney Hall and the Music Center, they do a big business before 8p. Problem is that they staff if for their usual activity so there are too free waiters trying to serve a restaurant full of customers who all need to get out before the show. Though the wait staff tries their best, they're simply outnumbered and don't have a chance. Regarding the food, if you're lucky, you'll be offered bread which is tasteless. The menu is limited and frankly way overpriced. You're paying for the proximity to your show, not for the food. I had the steak which was a bit fatty but also tasty. My wife's dinner was also good.
- An excellent choice to dineglenneuroVIPDined on 9/29/2012An excellent choice to dine before or after events @ the Music Center or the Phil. A very welcoming environment.Special Features:
- ok food but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/28/2012we went to 1st & hope last friday night. we each ordered the blistered romaine caesar followed by the paper-wrapped trout for him, chicken for me. his salad was considerably larger than mine and both weren't just blistered, they were blackened. it was a tasty alternative to the usual fare but the dressing didn't stand up to the flavour of the romaine and the salad could have a few parmesan shavings on top. my rosemary chicken ok but the squash blossoms were buried under it. the parchament paper around his trout and veggies was burned and there was no place to put it except on the table. we begged for bread and got 3 small pieces. we wouldn't go back.
- It would be too easy to sayhardtopleaseVIPDined on 9/28/2012It would be too easy to say the restaurant is 'First and Hopeless', but frankly the food is just not up to par. Really nice bottle of wine and the cocktails were good but the food is too fussy and not well cooked - salmon had to sent back to be cooked more and the trout in parchment was a gooey mess of vegetables and rice. Other problems are the strangely shaped plates that don't fit on the table and too heavy flatware that fall off the plates. Go for a drink and maybe the night club (which we didn't sample), but eat first.
- Because the theatres are dark.....htravlinLAVIPDined on 9/19/2012Because the theatres are dark.....he place was really quiet and no ntertainment which we expected.....our timing was off. However friends has recommended it as a lively, great music, good wine (large portions) and pretty good bar fare. Good ambiance...hard to find the first time in a sort of strip mall across from the Disney Concert hall.....great spot for before or after the theatreSpecial Features:
- The food was great, althoughVadimDined on 9/15/2012The food was great, although appetizers did not amaze me with variety. A little pricy, but very well prepared main course. Our server was not very experienced but tried hard and she was nice. We did not stay to hear the live music that was about to start.Special Features: