711 NE Dekum Street
Portland, OR 97211Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.firehousepdx.com/
- Phone: 5039541702x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday to Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Friday, Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm; Sundays 5pm-8pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Matthew Busetto
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact Steven at Firehouse Restaurant for more details. 503-789-7953.
- Special Events: Please contact Steven at Firehouse Restaurant for more details. 503-789-7953.
A word from Firehouse Restaurant
Firehouse Restaurant is a central and southern Italian inspired restaurant located in the historic Dekum Firehouse in NE Portland. We offer seasonable fare using sustainable fish, meats, and produce whenever possible. We use a wood-fired oven, rotisserie and grill that emphasize technique, seasonality, and a simple straightforward approach to food. To us, there are few things more beautiful than a well-prepared meal in a warm and inviting setting. We hope to see you soon!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Firehouse Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Northeast Portland ›
Firehouse Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
130 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (106)fit for foodies (80)great for outdoor dining (62)special occasion (37)good for groups (21)romantic (20)hot spot (17)kid-friendly (16)notable wine list (11)great for lunch (6)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- zyggroupVIPDined on 10/17/2014Food was delicious again, but the chicken was not as good as usual. Everything else was wonderful.Special Features:
- Good but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014The spacing was so tight the wait staff constantly butted against us as they moved around. The table we sat as was so small, it was difficult to even share a couple plates. The food was tasty but my chicken dish was presented in a way that made it very hard to eat. Left half of it in the bowl. Glad we went, the setting (an old firehouse) is neat but won't return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingwantagoodmealDined on 10/14/2014After hearing rave reviews from a friend, I was excited to go to Firehouse for my birthday. The appetizers were excellent (especially the beets) but the pizza was a wet mess. Way too runny in the middle and very difficult to eat. The flavor was ok, but when I attempted to cut into it, it flooded the inner 1/3 of the pizza and was impossible to cut. Pizzas should be served at least partially cut. What a mess! I expected wait staff to ask me how my dinner was, but I was not given the opportunity to voice my disappointment. For this reason alone, I will not return.
- Great Italian Food!pizza4realDined on 10/11/2014Great Italian food at a very fair price. Their Happy Hour menu has some wonderful choices at very fair prices. All of their food is very fresh, healthy, and authentic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxed Dinner With FriendsMikeDined on 10/8/2014Firehouse has a nice menu and atmosphere. Service is very attentive and the food is great. Really great place to enjoy with family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/7/2014This was my first time at Firehouse. The outdoor patio was cute and cozy, and I the staff were amazing. We ordered cocktails, fried tomatoes and a pizza. The drinks and tomatoes were wonderful. I wasn't thrilled with the pizza at all. First off it wasn't sliced and although they provided a steak knife, it made for a difficult and messy start. The pizza was watery and just overall a disappointment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- garden onlyunhappyDined on 10/3/2014I would never eat there again when its crowded unless seated outside. Impossible to have a conversation...had to literally shout and yell my way through dinner. It's deafeningly loud. A shame because the food is so good.Special Features:
- Always greatHonestDinerVIPDined on 10/2/2014We have been to Firehouse many times and will continue to be faithful. They never disappoint and are always relevant to the season w/ their menu choices. A definite must for a casual dining experience, priced reasonably, and fit for foodies.Special Features:
- great dinner; reasonable pricehappyeaterDined on 9/27/2014Great beer, fabulous bruschetta with ricotta, roasted figs and saba, pizza just like in Italy, yummy peach tart for dessert. Even the simple green salad was perfect; crisp fresh romaine and perfect vinaigrette. Service attentive, warm and relaxed. Surprisingly small check; maybe that's because we ate early and got some items at happy hour prices. We will be going back soon and often. Even the ambience is special in that wonderful old building, beautifully restored and a little funky.Special Features:
- Good choice all seasonsJasmineVIPDined on 9/24/2014The Firehouse is one our regular haunts. We can rely on the quality of food and service, and it's pleasant in all seasons, with the outdoor patio and in summer and warm brick and wood interior in winter. This is not haute cuisine so we didn't give it 5 stars, but it is very good for the kind of warm, comfortable, tasty place that it is. Especially good: the meatballs and the mussels.Special Features:
- The epitome of Portland diningNibikiDined on 9/21/2014We first visited Firehouse Restaurant on a whim. Because we were short on time, the hostess seated us promptly and brought out menus. She understood that we did not plan for a leisurely meal and made some suggestions on what items would come out of the kitchen fairly rapidly. This of itself was not special, but the fact that her suggestions were spot on and the food arrived on time was great. Here we and a staff member who knew what she was talking about and a kitchen that could back it up! The three of us split an order of the mussels and a pizza. We made the decision to return when we had more time. That occasion was the following evening when we returned to enjoy a leisurely full meal. From start to finish, it was all delightful.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/20/2014Have always loved the Firehouse Restaurant. The downside: Our most recent experience was not as enjoyable - It was a 90 degree day and the wood oven and rotisserie made the entire restaurant incredibly smokey and unpleasant - the roll-up doors were down and overall it was too warm, too smokey and borderline miserable. The upside: Food and service is always outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Place to dineRestatsVIPDined on 9/18/2014We were getting together with friends who live nearby and were able to sit and talk for as long as we wanted while we ate and drank. The drinks were excellent and unusual while the food was excellent. We have the smoked rotisserie chicken, fish and pork plus we shared the beet salad. All the plates were clean when we were done, they let us sit and talk. We will be bck.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!MidsDined on 9/18/2014Took my elderly father and his wife along with my family. Service was spot on. Food was fantastic. The wood fired cooling adds terrific flavor to everything. We shared a variety of appetizers and entrees and everything was super tasty. While it was busy and bustling, my 90-year-old father and his wife were able to hear my quiet daughters. Highly recommend the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soggy PizzaJimTDined on 9/17/2014The appetizers were good but both pizzas had a lot of liquid (watery) causing the crust to become very soggy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice neighborhood gemPdx2912Dined on 9/13/2014Wonderful historic firehouse, tasty dining, and nice outdoor patio make for an all around great dining experience.Special Features:
- Nice experienceLovePDXfoodDined on 9/6/2014There were four of us and each had different meals. The salads were great we had both a romaine and a house salad. The entrees, 2 being pizzas and one a meatball dish were all quite salty. We had appetizers of cauliflower and broccoli both excellent with the exception of a heavy hand with the salt. Being that the entrees here are not overly expensive but eating out for two will run 60-70 for dinner, salad and cocktail the salt was enough of a consideration that I would not return. My husband on the other hand who salts everything did not have a problem with the salt amounts. The service was wonderful and a great place to be as a far as ambience was concerned.Special Features:
- Excellent food, not great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014Firehouse has excellent food and some really interesting dishes. Great cocktails, wine selections, and house made sodas. The service, however, is maybe the worst I have experience in Portland. I have been there a few times and each time the service was bad and for some reason I thought to book there again and again the service was terrible. Our server (and the staff) did major eye-rolls behind customers backs for various requests which does not create for a comfortable vibe. If you go there, expect great food and a large serving of attitude.Special Features:
- Great Meatballs & PizzanopodinerVIPDined on 9/4/2014For our latest meal at Firehouse, my husband chose the meatballs and I had the crimini mushroom pizza. Both were excellent, as was the rose wine (dry and interesting). We had peach cobbler with fennel ice cream for dessert and it was delicious. LOVE this place...always great service as well as food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FirehouseFoodieDined on 8/28/2014Great as usual! Took a friend for the first time and she loved it too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor and fresh air delight!AuntieDined on 8/17/2014We always enjoy the Firehouse, service is friendly and timely. Their food is well prepared, simple ingredients mixed and combined with flair. The romaine hearts salad is one of my all time favorites. My husband and I can both enjoy dishes that we favor, he loves to order a beef dish, and I can have shellfish or fish. Note: this is a fresh air restaurant, no air conditioning, but natural breeze from wide open doors. The courtyard is a thing to enjoy during the beautiful summer evenings in the Northwest. Relax and enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An old fav no morePhilDined on 8/17/2014Went there expecting the usual quality of food, but instead I got 1 seasoning... salt salt and more salt. I even had some green on my plate which was roasted in the oven that was pure salt. After the first dish I thought the chef accidentally seasoned twice with salt since normally I would give this place a 4.5, but every single dish had a double dose of salt. Shame reallySpecial Features:
- Fav neighborhood resturantcaraarDined on 8/15/2014consistently good food and ambiance - love the outdoor dining in the summerSpecial Features:
- Consistently delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014I always enjoy the Firehouse as it has a wonderful location, great staff, inviting atmosphere, and amazing food. The food in particular always gives my tastebuds new and exciting flavors.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/6/2014Usually we have a wonderful experience. We bring visiting out of town family here for a special meal. We drive all the way from SE. Our waiter was snippy & helpful. Most dishes were laden in oil. Very disappointing experience.Special Features:
- Firehouse RestarauntloveportlandfoodDined on 8/5/2014The Firehouse has consistently good food and the staff is great at trying to make people feel comfortable while waiting for a table. Reservations are accepted if you think ahead. I wish it were on my side of the river.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, mediocre serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/4/2014The food was great. The few times the server came to us, she was friendly. However, after our food was dropped she didn't come back until we were done eating. After spending years in the service industry I hate it when the server doesn't check up during your meal and see how things are going. That is why we are tipping you, it is for service. The dining room was very small and the seating was in an awkward arrangement. They use wood-fired stoves to cook their food, which is both cool looking and delicious. However, since the small dining room was a few feet away from the kitchen and the smoke from the oven wasn't all getting sucked up into the ventilation hood, all of our clothes smelled like a campfire afterward.
- great food for a fair priceCKtwoDined on 8/2/2014A nice selection of flavorful and relatively simple dishes. We had open spit chicken and a pizza. The veggie side was fresh and paired well w the chicken. Pizza was excellent and the service was the right mix of attentive but not pushy. We enjoyed ourselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodMareDined on 8/2/2014Love the food every time I've been there. Always something new and interesting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably excellentgoodfoodDined on 7/24/2014Firehouse has moved into the top 3 of our favorite restaurants...service is exceptional, as is the food.Special Features:
- ServicevandyVIPDined on 7/20/2014The food is so very excellent! Too bad your wait service suffers from lack of attention to detail!Special Features:
- This could be a Five-Star one dayJuniormarblesDined on 7/20/2014Great food quality and variety, all mostly well executed. Small Gripe no.1: staff service was very professionell, but stayed perfunctory, and indicated stress level with the job (management?) No. 2: we were assured that the table water served was filtered, but it tasted and smelled terribly chlorinated (no reason to argue and bum out my party or the scene). It's sometimes those little atmospheric clues that sneak their way into an otherwise very pleasant place, meals, and experience. P.S.: Some pizza varieties could be cooked longer, to burn off extra fluids of the ingredients. Mine (Crimini-Mushroom) was a bit soggy. The dessert I had (cappuccino/espresso ice cream cake) was phenomenal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!DrinkyVIPDined on 7/19/2014Every time we dine at Firehouse, it is an excellent experience. The service is always friendly and efficient, the drinks are well-crafted (the Negroni was perfect), and the food is delicious! We had the evening's special pizza bianca and the hearts of romaine salad on this visit and were very happy. Firehouse is on our regular rotation for good reason.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantJohnKimDined on 7/19/2014Great food and a great value. They have a great happy hour (for both food and drink). They also have a great 3 course menu (a great value if you purchase the 3 courses). I had the steak and my wife had the Gnocchi - we also had a salad and the fried Cauliflower which was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUM!FooDFunDined on 7/18/2014Nice environment -- would have liked to dine in courtyard, but it was crowded. It was a warm day, so a bit too toasty indoors. Music is loud -- we asked server if it could be turned down a touch, and she complied! Server was fun and easy. Creative menu -- and delicious. The fried cauliflower is a must! (We had to order a second serving.) The vegetarian pasta was fresh and tasty. Easy neighborhood parking.Special Features:
- Excellent date night surprise !OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014Great food , service , ambience ! Third visit and I'm still impressed .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ScrumptiousOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/18/2014Excellent food and service. This is a wonderful neighborhood restaurant. The beets are amazing.Special Features:
- Decent diningCrazyVikingSrDined on 7/17/2014Very cool venue, food and apps were very good but tend to be rather salty. Wait time for our meal was ridiculously long. It wasn't very busy and it took over an hour for our food. Wait staff was ok, and warmed up after the other diners in our area left. I would try again, but there are other option in Portland!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous, outstanding, Nuff said.LuluNOLADined on 7/11/2014Great food, service, ambience and fantastic bang for our buck.Special Features:
- Beautiful location~grandfunkeDined on 7/10/2014But parking is hard because the building is on a corner where several streets come together and street parking was hard to find close by. I brought an elderly friend and had to get her across several busy streets with no signals or crosswalks. The entrance was hard to find. The building history is great and makes for an interesting dining setting. The service was good. The appetizer (aroncini) was too salty. The pizza (fennel sausage) was very watery and runny and made the thin crust pizza soggy before it ever reached our table. Disappointing since the elderly friend I brought with me is Sicilian. The meal was cheap, but I don't think the food was all that great. So, maybe it's a better place for bar lovers?Special Features: