711 NE Dekum Street
Portland, OR 97211Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.firehousepdx.com/
- Phone: 5039541702x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday to Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Friday, Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm; Sundays 5pm-8pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Matthew Busetto
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact Steven at Firehouse Restaurant for more details. 503-789-7953.
- Special Events: Please contact Steven at Firehouse Restaurant for more details. 503-789-7953.
A word from Firehouse Restaurant
Firehouse Restaurant is a central and southern Italian inspired restaurant located in the historic Dekum Firehouse in NE Portland. We offer seasonable fare using sustainable fish, meats, and produce whenever possible. We use a wood-fired oven, rotisserie and grill that emphasize technique, seasonality, and a simple straightforward approach to food. To us, there are few things more beautiful than a well-prepared meal in a warm and inviting setting. We hope to see you soon!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Firehouse Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Northeast Portland ›
Firehouse Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
119 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (97)fit for foodies (76)great for outdoor dining (66)special occasion (40)romantic (19)good for groups (16)kid-friendly (16)hot spot (15)notable wine list (14)great for lunch (4)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Excellent Place to dineRestatsVIPDined on 9/18/2014We were getting together with friends who live nearby and were able to sit and talk for as long as we wanted while we ate and drank. The drinks were excellent and unusual while the food was excellent. We have the smoked rotisserie chicken, fish and pork plus we shared the beet salad. All the plates were clean when we were done, they let us sit and talk. We will be bck.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/18/2014Took my elderly father and his wife along with my family. Service was spot on. Food was fantastic. The wood fired cooling adds terrific flavor to everything. We shared a variety of appetizers and entrees and everything was super tasty. While it was busy and bustling, my 90-year-old father and his wife were able to hear my quiet daughters. Highly recommend the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soggy PizzaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014The appetizers were good but both pizzas had a lot of liquid (watery) causing the crust to become very soggy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice neighborhood gemPdx2912Dined on 9/13/2014Wonderful historic firehouse, tasty dining, and nice outdoor patio make for an all around great dining experience.Special Features:
- Nice experienceLovePDXfoodDined on 9/6/2014There were four of us and each had different meals. The salads were great we had both a romaine and a house salad. The entrees, 2 being pizzas and one a meatball dish were all quite salty. We had appetizers of cauliflower and broccoli both excellent with the exception of a heavy hand with the salt. Being that the entrees here are not overly expensive but eating out for two will run 60-70 for dinner, salad and cocktail the salt was enough of a consideration that I would not return. My husband on the other hand who salts everything did not have a problem with the salt amounts. The service was wonderful and a great place to be as a far as ambience was concerned.Special Features:
- Excellent food, not great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014Firehouse has excellent food and some really interesting dishes. Great cocktails, wine selections, and house made sodas. The service, however, is maybe the worst I have experience in Portland. I have been there a few times and each time the service was bad and for some reason I thought to book there again and again the service was terrible. Our server (and the staff) did major eye-rolls behind customers backs for various requests which does not create for a comfortable vibe. If you go there, expect great food and a large serving of attitude.Special Features:
- Great Meatballs & PizzanopodinerVIPDined on 9/4/2014For our latest meal at Firehouse, my husband chose the meatballs and I had the crimini mushroom pizza. Both were excellent, as was the rose wine (dry and interesting). We had peach cobbler with fennel ice cream for dessert and it was delicious. LOVE this place...always great service as well as food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor and fresh air delight!AuntieDined on 8/17/2014We always enjoy the Firehouse, service is friendly and timely. Their food is well prepared, simple ingredients mixed and combined with flair. The romaine hearts salad is one of my all time favorites. My husband and I can both enjoy dishes that we favor, he loves to order a beef dish, and I can have shellfish or fish. Note: this is a fresh air restaurant, no air conditioning, but natural breeze from wide open doors. The courtyard is a thing to enjoy during the beautiful summer evenings in the Northwest. Relax and enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An old fav no morePhilDined on 8/17/2014Went there expecting the usual quality of food, but instead I got 1 seasoning... salt salt and more salt. I even had some green on my plate which was roasted in the oven that was pure salt. After the first dish I thought the chef accidentally seasoned twice with salt since normally I would give this place a 4.5, but every single dish had a double dose of salt. Shame reallySpecial Features:
- Fav neighborhood resturantcaraarDined on 8/15/2014consistently good food and ambiance - love the outdoor dining in the summerSpecial Features:
- Consistently delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014I always enjoy the Firehouse as it has a wonderful location, great staff, inviting atmosphere, and amazing food. The food in particular always gives my tastebuds new and exciting flavors.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/6/2014Usually we have a wonderful experience. We bring visiting out of town family here for a special meal. We drive all the way from SE. Our waiter was snippy & helpful. Most dishes were laden in oil. Very disappointing experience.Special Features:
- Firehouse RestarauntloveportlandfoodDined on 8/5/2014The Firehouse has consistently good food and the staff is great at trying to make people feel comfortable while waiting for a table. Reservations are accepted if you think ahead. I wish it were on my side of the river.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, mediocre serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/4/2014The food was great. The few times the server came to us, she was friendly. However, after our food was dropped she didn't come back until we were done eating. After spending years in the service industry I hate it when the server doesn't check up during your meal and see how things are going. That is why we are tipping you, it is for service. The dining room was very small and the seating was in an awkward arrangement. They use wood-fired stoves to cook their food, which is both cool looking and delicious. However, since the small dining room was a few feet away from the kitchen and the smoke from the oven wasn't all getting sucked up into the ventilation hood, all of our clothes smelled like a campfire afterward.
- great food for a fair priceCKtwoDined on 8/2/2014A nice selection of flavorful and relatively simple dishes. We had open spit chicken and a pizza. The veggie side was fresh and paired well w the chicken. Pizza was excellent and the service was the right mix of attentive but not pushy. We enjoyed ourselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodMareDined on 8/2/2014Love the food every time I've been there. Always something new and interesting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably excellentgoodfoodDined on 7/24/2014Firehouse has moved into the top 3 of our favorite restaurants...service is exceptional, as is the food.Special Features:
- ServicevandyVIPDined on 7/20/2014The food is so very excellent! Too bad your wait service suffers from lack of attention to detail!Special Features:
- This could be a Five-Star one dayJuniormarblesDined on 7/20/2014Great food quality and variety, all mostly well executed. Small Gripe no.1: staff service was very professionell, but stayed perfunctory, and indicated stress level with the job (management?) No. 2: we were assured that the table water served was filtered, but it tasted and smelled terribly chlorinated (no reason to argue and bum out my party or the scene). It's sometimes those little atmospheric clues that sneak their way into an otherwise very pleasant place, meals, and experience. P.S.: Some pizza varieties could be cooked longer, to burn off extra fluids of the ingredients. Mine (Crimini-Mushroom) was a bit soggy. The dessert I had (cappuccino/espresso ice cream cake) was phenomenal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!DrinkyVIPDined on 7/19/2014Every time we dine at Firehouse, it is an excellent experience. The service is always friendly and efficient, the drinks are well-crafted (the Negroni was perfect), and the food is delicious! We had the evening's special pizza bianca and the hearts of romaine salad on this visit and were very happy. Firehouse is on our regular rotation for good reason.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantJohnKimDined on 7/19/2014Great food and a great value. They have a great happy hour (for both food and drink). They also have a great 3 course menu (a great value if you purchase the 3 courses). I had the steak and my wife had the Gnocchi - we also had a salad and the fried Cauliflower which was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUM!FooDFunDined on 7/18/2014Nice environment -- would have liked to dine in courtyard, but it was crowded. It was a warm day, so a bit too toasty indoors. Music is loud -- we asked server if it could be turned down a touch, and she complied! Server was fun and easy. Creative menu -- and delicious. The fried cauliflower is a must! (We had to order a second serving.) The vegetarian pasta was fresh and tasty. Easy neighborhood parking.Special Features:
- Excellent date night surprise !OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014Great food , service , ambience ! Third visit and I'm still impressed .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ScrumptiousOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/18/2014Excellent food and service. This is a wonderful neighborhood restaurant. The beets are amazing.Special Features:
- Decent diningCrazyVikingSrDined on 7/17/2014Very cool venue, food and apps were very good but tend to be rather salty. Wait time for our meal was ridiculously long. It wasn't very busy and it took over an hour for our food. Wait staff was ok, and warmed up after the other diners in our area left. I would try again, but there are other option in Portland!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous, outstanding, Nuff said.LuluNOLADined on 7/11/2014Great food, service, ambience and fantastic bang for our buck.Special Features:
- Beautiful location~grandfunkeDined on 7/10/2014But parking is hard because the building is on a corner where several streets come together and street parking was hard to find close by. I brought an elderly friend and had to get her across several busy streets with no signals or crosswalks. The entrance was hard to find. The building history is great and makes for an interesting dining setting. The service was good. The appetizer (aroncini) was too salty. The pizza (fennel sausage) was very watery and runny and made the thin crust pizza soggy before it ever reached our table. Disappointing since the elderly friend I brought with me is Sicilian. The meal was cheap, but I don't think the food was all that great. So, maybe it's a better place for bar lovers?Special Features:
- 1st but not lastNWbornDined on 7/9/2014We were looking for a pleasant relaxing dining experience with quality food and service. Exactly what we were able to enjoy. The Firehouse meat balls were awesome as mentioned in previous reviews and the fried cauliflower is a definite must. Was worried about the service as we had heard that it can be slow. They were busy but the service was an enhancement of the dining experience from the time we entered to the time we left.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious but too much oilnotquitefoodieDined on 7/6/2014The food was unique and very tasty, but all our dishes had just a bit too much oilSpecial Features:
- A disappointment!ForfoodDined on 7/5/2014Long story short - there are many fine restaurants in Portland for people to go to where they can get better service and food choices than what we experienced Saturday night. We had been to Firehouse before and loved it, but this time was a major disappointment. They were out of one of only four entrees. There were no fish or vegetarian selections. Our roasted chicken was okay, but nothing I would recommend. The margherita pizza was a soggy mess. All of this served up with the slowest and most aloof service I’ve had in a long time. I have written management.
- We always love coming hereMissMaryKatherineDined on 6/30/2014The food is consistently prepared very well and presented nicely, the service is wonderful, the indoor and outdoor atmosphere is inviting and clean... even the bathroom is kept neat and tidy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodMareDined on 6/30/2014The four of us each got different food, and shared among us, so were able to taste a variety of things. Everything was delicious, from cauliflower appetizer to entrees and pizza. Definitely will go back.Special Features:
- Hidden GemHawkmorDined on 6/29/2014The Firehouse restaurant is a must do for anyone who loves food. We had 3 appetizers, a pizza and two main course selections and all of them were wonderful! The wine was excellent and the dessert was simply "to die for!" We plan on returning and highly recommend this place to anyone who loves great food, great service and a great atmosphere at reasonable prices!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for whole familyKarenDined on 6/24/2014We brought our family, including grandchildren, here for a family dinner. The service was great and the atmosphere was informal enough that it didn't feel stuffy to the grandchildren. The beet and summer salad were very fresh. The fennel sausage and soppressata pizzas were great. The kids loved the margherita pizza. Everyone left happy and we will definitely return to try more.Special Features:
- Great meal!mforbDined on 6/23/2014We went to Firehouse for dinner with another couple. Each of us got something different and everything was delicious - appetizers, pasta, pizzas, meatballs. No bland, boring food here - just some unique and delicious meals. One thing we liked especially was that the restaurant was quiet enough that we could hear what each other said. We look forward to returning soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely dine here againSEA2STLDined on 6/21/2014We were in Portland for the weekend only. Would return to this restaurant if we visit again. Staff was extremely attentive, in the best ways--not hovering but there whenever we needed something. The food--wow. Everyone got different items, and every item was delicious. I got trout with fennel and it was perfectly prepared and presented. The drink menu was super fun, with lots of twists on old-timey drinks and popular favorites. The Mad Hatter was best in many of our diner's opinions. Stumptown coffee was a great finish to the meal. And the wall that was open to the outdoors made us feel like we were dining outside on the perfectly beautiful evening--so nice. Each of us in our group of 7 highly recommend the Firehouse Restaurant.Special Features:
- jnapdxDined on 6/13/2014Great food, fabulous service. I'm very happy they opened in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Good meal -- againOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/12/2014Our daughter introduced us to the Firehouse a few years ago, and we had a memorable meal then. This trip we ate in one night, went to an old reliable, and planned to go to a couple of "must go" places. When we couldn't get into one of them, we opted for the Firehouse. The other must-go place was a clunker, so let's talk about the Firehouse. We shared three small plates -- beet and hazelnut salad, roasted cauliflower and the daily bruschetta offering. All three of us gave these plates a 6 on your 1-5 scale. Main courses were likewise very good -- all three of us pretty much hogged our own without sharing. Ambience was marked down a bit because the recorded music was played at an unnecessarily loud level, and some of it was annoying.Special Features:
- not as good as the first timeJackiefromMSDined on 6/9/2014We had eaten there once before and really enjoyed. So, made a reservation to come back. we were there y 7:30 pm on a weeknight. They had already sold out of 3 entrees. But, our salad and pizza was good. Just thought it odd to be out of so much so early.Special Features:
- Won't ReturnlovetoeatDined on 5/30/2014When we checked in we were greeted rudely by the hostess and from someone we took to be the owner. Had reservations and still had to wait 15 minutes to get a table with no explanation or apology. When we sat down we were told that two of the main dishes were no longer available. We ordered the night's special bruschetta which would have been delicious if the bread it was on hadn't been charred and hard. The aranchini were mediocre and both of our pizzas were soggy. The service throughout our meal was unfriendly and unhelpful. We had read so many great reviews of the place so, needless to say, we were disappointed. We won't be back.