711 NE Dekum Street
Portland, OR 97211Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.firehousepdx.com/
- Phone: (503) 954-1702
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday to Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Friday, Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm; Sundays 5pm-8pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Matthew Busetto
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact Steven at Firehouse Restaurant for more details. 503-789-7953.
- Special Events: Please contact Steven at Firehouse Restaurant for more details. 503-789-7953.
A word from Firehouse Restaurant
Firehouse Restaurant is a central and southern Italian inspired restaurant located in the historic Dekum Firehouse in NE Portland. We offer seasonable fare using sustainable fish, meats, and produce whenever possible. We use a wood-fired oven, rotisserie and grill that emphasize technique, seasonality, and a simple straightforward approach to food. To us, there are few things more beautiful than a well-prepared meal in a warm and inviting setting. We hope to see you soon!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Firehouse Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Northeast Portland ›
Firehouse Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
123 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (98)fit for foodies (78)great for outdoor dining (48)special occasion (37)good for groups (24)romantic (20)hot spot (17)kid-friendly (16)notable wine list (14)great for lunch (3)late-night find (2)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- OkayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014I made a reservation asking for a cozy table for my husbands birthday. They couldn't find it and we ended up tucked into a back corner, less than two feet away from another party. I felt like I was sitting at a red robin. Food was okay, nothing exciting. Of all the places to eat in this town, we will not be coming back.
- Very nice!PDXSTERDined on 11/8/2014This was our first time here. Fairly small inside so you will sit close to your fellow diners. Very good food and excellent service. Had reservations but our table wasn't quite ready so they offered some sparkling wine, a nice touch. The autumn salad was a standout.Special Features:
- love it!PdxdineDined on 10/31/2014we are always so pleased after dining at The Firehouse. The food is amazing, the staff is friendly and ambiance is perfect! It's our go-to resturant to take our out of town guests to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Marvelous FeastUncaLarryDined on 10/31/2014With friends in from New Jersey, we were asked to choose a "very Portland place" for them to treat us to dinner. We gave them 3 possible choices. After checking menus online, The Firehouse won and, as we knew, it was everything they hoped it would be. They went a little crazy since they wanted to try so many things - Arancini, Bruschetta, Pizza Margherita, Meatballs w/ chard, Pork w/ polenta, Cod from the fiery oven, and a house-made pasta that none of the four of us had ever heard of before. We were stuffed but they kept going - heritage apple crunch on ice cream and a pumpkin tart. We also went thru two bottles of delicious (and affordable) Lamia Primitivo, an apple brandy, and a couple of grappas. It was all superb... a marvelous feast.Special Features:
- Fantastic Birthday DinnerMinnieDined on 10/28/2014I brought my lady here for her birthday dinner, it was our first time visiting the Firehouse. I'm glad I made reservations; 7:45 on a Tuesday night and the place was still packed. Very gourmet food, and our dinner definitely felt like a special occasion. We each took the three courses for $29 - a splurge for me but well worth it. It was well out of my everyday budget, but I will certainly consider coming back here for a special night out.Special Features:
- Feels like Home!YoungTouristFoodieDined on 10/28/2014The reason I love this place is because the service is great, the food is always good (though sometimes too salty), and the atmosphere is just so cozy. Great little spot for 2-4 people to get together and enjoy a delicious meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulFandEDined on 10/26/2014We've been to the Firehouse many times, and have always had a great experience. This past visit, however, was one of the greatest dining experiences my partner and I have ever had. The service was perfectly paced (courses are delivered with enough time in between for some conversation, digestion, and a few sips of wine) every recommendation was spot on, including the dessert wine pairing with the chocolate pave. The food was fantastic, and for a restaurant most known for its wood oven pizza, they really know how to prepare rotisserie chicken and pork. And finally, there was a sizable birthday party that needed a lot of attention, and were apparently in over their heads in terms of fine dining, but that never interfered with our service.Special Features:
- disappointedfeedmeDined on 10/24/2014I've been to The Firehouse several times, and have always enjoyed my experience (the fried cauliflower is great!) But this time, it was disappointing. Portions were smaller and dishes not as well prepared. Of the four in our party, one had the codfish entree, which was recommended to us, but it was overcooked, and the sauce was minimal. My autumn salad was a very small portion. The beet salad was decent, and the bruschetta good. Our companions ordered a salad (OK) and pasta (unremarkable). Desert: the flourless chocolate cake was dry and the pumpkin bread pudding tasted like apples with two small chunks of pumpkin in it, although our server assured us that it was indeed pumpkin. Wine was excellent. No plans to return anytime soon.
- N PDX FirehouseGoJoDined on 10/24/2014They have excellent food in a converted fire station adding to the ambiance. The sound system on the other hand detracted from the ambiance. It was loud and acoustically distracting....not in a good way. I took a star off for this. The food and service were excellent. We drank beer. The draft selection was limited but it worked. I'll go here again.Special Features:
- Always GreatEmilyDined on 10/22/2014Having spent a few wonderful meals here as is, my fella and I enjoyed our anniversary dinner here a couple weeks ago. Incredible food, as usual, and we stuffed ourselves. I have noticed over a few meals that what I thought was "one-off" slow service may actually just be consistently slow service; it always takes a while to get our drink and dinner orders in, but once we do it's always a well-paced, well-time, *delicious* meal. The pizzas and drinks are always on point, the steak over arugula and cripsy potatoes calls my name every time, and this time my partner ordered a very tasty pasta and we tried the fried cauliflower, which I'll definitely eat again. This remains one of my favorite places in Portland, easy.Special Features:
- Good food but..,RosieposieDined on 10/21/2014The food was great , service lacking. Too smokey inside to enjoy the meal. We didnt even stay for dessert because if the extreme smoke inside, it was to the point of smoke inhalation!Special Features:
- A great meal with good service.ccorpuelVIPDined on 10/18/2014In general an evening at Firehouse is an evening well spent, and tonight was no different: the meatballs were delicious as always; the roasted cauliflower and mussels are our traditional favorites as appetizers; salads are always fresh and tasty (tonight's was Mike's winter greens with Humboldt Fog, currants, hazelnuts and red wine vinaigrette.) On the other hand, an unexpected disappointment was the Alaskan cod which was rather dry. Next time we'll return to one of their consistently delicious items, the hanger steak. A seasonal dessert, pumpkin bread pudding, was very good. This place is definitely at the top of our list when visiting Portland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- zyggroupVIPDined on 10/17/2014Food was delicious again, but the chicken was not as good as usual. Everything else was wonderful.Special Features:
- Good but not greatJuniorDined on 10/17/2014The spacing was so tight the wait staff constantly butted against us as they moved around. The table we sat as was so small, it was difficult to even share a couple plates. The food was tasty but my chicken dish was presented in a way that made it very hard to eat. Left half of it in the bowl. Glad we went, the setting (an old firehouse) is neat but won't return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingwantagoodmealDined on 10/14/2014After hearing rave reviews from a friend, I was excited to go to Firehouse for my birthday. The appetizers were excellent (especially the beets) but the pizza was a wet mess. Way too runny in the middle and very difficult to eat. The flavor was ok, but when I attempted to cut into it, it flooded the inner 1/3 of the pizza and was impossible to cut. Pizzas should be served at least partially cut. What a mess! I expected wait staff to ask me how my dinner was, but I was not given the opportunity to voice my disappointment. For this reason alone, I will not return.
- Great Italian Food!pizza4realDined on 10/11/2014Great Italian food at a very fair price. Their Happy Hour menu has some wonderful choices at very fair prices. All of their food is very fresh, healthy, and authentic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxed Dinner With FriendsMikeDined on 10/8/2014Firehouse has a nice menu and atmosphere. Service is very attentive and the food is great. Really great place to enjoy with family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/7/2014This was my first time at Firehouse. The outdoor patio was cute and cozy, and I the staff were amazing. We ordered cocktails, fried tomatoes and a pizza. The drinks and tomatoes were wonderful. I wasn't thrilled with the pizza at all. First off it wasn't sliced and although they provided a steak knife, it made for a difficult and messy start. The pizza was watery and just overall a disappointment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- garden onlyunhappyDined on 10/3/2014I would never eat there again when its crowded unless seated outside. Impossible to have a conversation...had to literally shout and yell my way through dinner. It's deafeningly loud. A shame because the food is so good.Special Features:
- Always greatHonestDinerVIPDined on 10/2/2014We have been to Firehouse many times and will continue to be faithful. They never disappoint and are always relevant to the season w/ their menu choices. A definite must for a casual dining experience, priced reasonably, and fit for foodies.Special Features:
- Great food at a reasonable priceccorpuelVIPDined on 10/1/2014This remains our fave in Portland for dinner. Consistently delicious choices for our family have been the fried cauliflower, the meatballs and the mussels. Tonight we added to that list the beets, the bruschetta, and one of their pizzas: with house made fennel sausage, onion, and fresh mozzarella. Wood-grilled hanger steak is always a hit as is dessert: tonight it was the chocolate pots de creme (haven't yet tried it with salted butterscotch sauce and hazelnut brittle, but that sounds "over the top" for sure). Service is friendly and helpful and the ambiance is warm and lively.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great dinner; reasonable pricehappyeaterDined on 9/27/2014Great beer, fabulous bruschetta with ricotta, roasted figs and saba, pizza just like in Italy, yummy peach tart for dessert. Even the simple green salad was perfect; crisp fresh romaine and perfect vinaigrette. Service attentive, warm and relaxed. Surprisingly small check; maybe that's because we ate early and got some items at happy hour prices. We will be going back soon and often. Even the ambience is special in that wonderful old building, beautifully restored and a little funky.Special Features:
- Good choice all seasonsJasmineVIPDined on 9/24/2014The Firehouse is one our regular haunts. We can rely on the quality of food and service, and it's pleasant in all seasons, with the outdoor patio and in summer and warm brick and wood interior in winter. This is not haute cuisine so we didn't give it 5 stars, but it is very good for the kind of warm, comfortable, tasty place that it is. Especially good: the meatballs and the mussels.Special Features:
- The epitome of Portland diningNibikiDined on 9/21/2014We first visited Firehouse Restaurant on a whim. Because we were short on time, the hostess seated us promptly and brought out menus. She understood that we did not plan for a leisurely meal and made some suggestions on what items would come out of the kitchen fairly rapidly. This of itself was not special, but the fact that her suggestions were spot on and the food arrived on time was great. Here we and a staff member who knew what she was talking about and a kitchen that could back it up! The three of us split an order of the mussels and a pizza. We made the decision to return when we had more time. That occasion was the following evening when we returned to enjoy a leisurely full meal. From start to finish, it was all delightful.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/20/2014Have always loved the Firehouse Restaurant. The downside: Our most recent experience was not as enjoyable - It was a 90 degree day and the wood oven and rotisserie made the entire restaurant incredibly smokey and unpleasant - the roll-up doors were down and overall it was too warm, too smokey and borderline miserable. The upside: Food and service is always outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Place to dineRestatsVIPDined on 9/18/2014We were getting together with friends who live nearby and were able to sit and talk for as long as we wanted while we ate and drank. The drinks were excellent and unusual while the food was excellent. We have the smoked rotisserie chicken, fish and pork plus we shared the beet salad. All the plates were clean when we were done, they let us sit and talk. We will be bck.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!MidsDined on 9/18/2014Took my elderly father and his wife along with my family. Service was spot on. Food was fantastic. The wood fired cooling adds terrific flavor to everything. We shared a variety of appetizers and entrees and everything was super tasty. While it was busy and bustling, my 90-year-old father and his wife were able to hear my quiet daughters. Highly recommend the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soggy PizzaJimTDined on 9/17/2014The appetizers were good but both pizzas had a lot of liquid (watery) causing the crust to become very soggy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice neighborhood gemPdx2912Dined on 9/13/2014Wonderful historic firehouse, tasty dining, and nice outdoor patio make for an all around great dining experience.Special Features:
- Nice experienceLovePDXfoodDined on 9/6/2014There were four of us and each had different meals. The salads were great we had both a romaine and a house salad. The entrees, 2 being pizzas and one a meatball dish were all quite salty. We had appetizers of cauliflower and broccoli both excellent with the exception of a heavy hand with the salt. Being that the entrees here are not overly expensive but eating out for two will run 60-70 for dinner, salad and cocktail the salt was enough of a consideration that I would not return. My husband on the other hand who salts everything did not have a problem with the salt amounts. The service was wonderful and a great place to be as a far as ambience was concerned.Special Features:
- Excellent food, not great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014Firehouse has excellent food and some really interesting dishes. Great cocktails, wine selections, and house made sodas. The service, however, is maybe the worst I have experience in Portland. I have been there a few times and each time the service was bad and for some reason I thought to book there again and again the service was terrible. Our server (and the staff) did major eye-rolls behind customers backs for various requests which does not create for a comfortable vibe. If you go there, expect great food and a large serving of attitude.Special Features:
- Great Meatballs & PizzanopodinerVIPDined on 9/4/2014For our latest meal at Firehouse, my husband chose the meatballs and I had the crimini mushroom pizza. Both were excellent, as was the rose wine (dry and interesting). We had peach cobbler with fennel ice cream for dessert and it was delicious. LOVE this place...always great service as well as food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FirehouseFoodieDined on 8/28/2014Great as usual! Took a friend for the first time and she loved it too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor and fresh air delight!AuntieDined on 8/17/2014We always enjoy the Firehouse, service is friendly and timely. Their food is well prepared, simple ingredients mixed and combined with flair. The romaine hearts salad is one of my all time favorites. My husband and I can both enjoy dishes that we favor, he loves to order a beef dish, and I can have shellfish or fish. Note: this is a fresh air restaurant, no air conditioning, but natural breeze from wide open doors. The courtyard is a thing to enjoy during the beautiful summer evenings in the Northwest. Relax and enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An old fav no morePhilDined on 8/17/2014Went there expecting the usual quality of food, but instead I got 1 seasoning... salt salt and more salt. I even had some green on my plate which was roasted in the oven that was pure salt. After the first dish I thought the chef accidentally seasoned twice with salt since normally I would give this place a 4.5, but every single dish had a double dose of salt. Shame reallySpecial Features:
- Fav neighborhood resturantcaraarDined on 8/15/2014consistently good food and ambiance - love the outdoor dining in the summerSpecial Features:
- Consistently delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014I always enjoy the Firehouse as it has a wonderful location, great staff, inviting atmosphere, and amazing food. The food in particular always gives my tastebuds new and exciting flavors.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/6/2014Usually we have a wonderful experience. We bring visiting out of town family here for a special meal. We drive all the way from SE. Our waiter was snippy & helpful. Most dishes were laden in oil. Very disappointing experience.Special Features:
- Firehouse RestarauntloveportlandfoodDined on 8/5/2014The Firehouse has consistently good food and the staff is great at trying to make people feel comfortable while waiting for a table. Reservations are accepted if you think ahead. I wish it were on my side of the river.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, mediocre serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/4/2014The food was great. The few times the server came to us, she was friendly. However, after our food was dropped she didn't come back until we were done eating. After spending years in the service industry I hate it when the server doesn't check up during your meal and see how things are going. That is why we are tipping you, it is for service. The dining room was very small and the seating was in an awkward arrangement. They use wood-fired stoves to cook their food, which is both cool looking and delicious. However, since the small dining room was a few feet away from the kitchen and the smoke from the oven wasn't all getting sucked up into the ventilation hood, all of our clothes smelled like a campfire afterward.