Firehouse No. 1 Gastropub
69 North San Pedro Street
San Jose, CA 95110Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Firehouse No. 1 Gastropub
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://firehouse1.com/
- Phone: (408) 287-6969
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-F 11:30am-3:00pm
Dinner: M-F 3:00pm-10:00pm
Dinner: Sa-Su 4:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Matt Close
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
A word from Firehouse No. 1 Gastropub
Gastropub noun\ˈga-strō-ˌpəb\ : a pub, bar, or tavern that offers exceptional food in a casual and comfortable environment. From succulent pork belly sliders to house made paté on our charcuterie plate and an incredible house-made burger - this is not typical bar food. Paired with hand-made cocktails, exclusive craft beers, and superb wines - Firehouse No. 1 Gastropub offers an experience unlike any other bar. Located in downtown San Jose in San Pedro SquareContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Firehouse No. 1 Gastropub - Best Restaurants in San Jose ›
Firehouse No. 1 Gastropub reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (17)good for groups (12)vibrant bar scene (12)great for outdoor dining (12)neighborhood gem (7)great for lunch (7)hot spot (7)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)romantic (1)great for brunch (1)special occasion (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- OUT OF EVERYTHING WE WANTEDNoBoneMarrowDined on 11/16/2014You should call before coming. We chose this place specifically for the bone marrow & braised ox-tail. Very disappointing to find out that both items were sold out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!FoodFrenzyDined on 11/9/2014The service was and food were amazing! Great list of crafty cocktails. The staff's recommendation that the chicken would be the best we've had was definitely liven ip to. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!RRH2009Dined on 11/1/2014Amazing food, fantastic service, and great for a group!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice gastropubMlcarrDined on 10/29/2014Looking for a place after work to get some food and watch the world series, we were able to grab a table via the open table app and squeeze in. Burgers and drinks were very good and the service kept up with how busy it was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Giants game & dinnerFeedMeVIPDined on 10/25/2014We came here to view the Giants game on TV and eat dinner before the theater production of The Rainmaker at San Jose The Stage. Delicious beet salad that was shared with three of us. Yummy crispy chicken (breast and leg), flat iron steak (cooked as requested) and yummy burger with a side salad (also cooked as requested). Great selection of beer on tap too. It is a narrow restaurant the bar is almost the entire length of the restaurant. There are some tables in the back. We were seated immediately with our reservation. YAYSpecial Features:
- Outstanding serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014I have to say my experience at the Firehouse #1 Gastropub was a delightful experience. The food and the staff were great and I will come back more often to say the least. The menu to my surprise was simple but straightforward with prices ranging from lowest to highest and all the food is made from local organic ingredients and the chef personally ensures that they are the freshest.Special Features:
- Creative Chef Nailed ItShannahQuiltsVIPDined on 10/10/2014We eat at Firehouse No. 1 frequently because the food is so good. The tables are comfortable, and the staff are friendly. This time, though, their special (which is always good) was amazing. The special was Ling Cod Fish and Chips. In my opinion, Ling Cod is the best fish for fish and chips anyway, but the batter they used was special. It clung beautifully to the fish, but was also tender and crunchy. My son asked for malt vinegar, and was pleased to get it in a cup for dipping. He loved that. The fries have a lovely herb and cheese combination on them - not overpowering, but very delicious. When you go to Firehouse No. 1, I would highly recommend that you learn about the specials and consider getting them. They're worth it.Special Features:
- Good For LunchHatehavingreviewnamesDined on 10/10/2014We had reservations for lunch and were greeted promptly and given the choice of inside or outside. It was a nice day and we chose outside. The food was good and service was good as well. Overall a very nice experience for a Friday afternoon.Special Features:
- Too loud!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/5/2014We were looking forward to dinner before the Tom Petty concert. But when we got seated, the noise in the back was phenomenally loud - no way we could have talked to each other. If it had been a work environment, serious hearing protection would have been mandatory. So we left and found another restaurant that wasn't so loud.
- Poor choiceLandDVIPDined on 9/6/2014Was too noisy, and it was way overpriced for average food. It was not a good place for a family dinner. We couldn't wait to get out of there.
- UtencilsCervezaLoverDined on 9/5/2014Good food but bad service. We got there for our reservation and maybe it was my spanish name but our table had not utencils and no napkins. Then they took our order and when the food was brought over my wife food was brought incorrectly they supposedly had run it of buns for her burger and with out asking for a substitute on their own they decide to serve the burger on slice French bread what kind of service is that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food wasn't very goodLizzieKathDined on 9/5/2014The salads were overdressed and the flavors just didn't work. Nothing was disgusting or anything, but I'd definitely skip this spot.
- luv2eatgoodgrubDined on 9/3/2014The only thing that surpassed the fabulous food was the superlative service. We stumbled onto this neighborhood gem. We had a group of 6 and we wanted a location that was spacious and moderately quiet so that we can enjoy a power lunch. It exceeded all of our expectations. The staff was personable, knowledgeable, energetic, and authentic. The food was hearty, tasty, and there was enough variety to satisfy even the most picky foodie! I'll end with three words that sums up my experience, "I'll be back!"Special Features:
- Nice location good lunchstephinnycVIPDined on 8/26/2014Perfectly situated in San Pedro Square. Menu is pretty basic, food is okay, service cold be improved. One of the steal orders came put well done vs. med/rare. They also do not serve cappuchino/espresso - unusual. Outside seating area gets a lot of street noise. Unfortunately during our lunch a tractor kept going back and forth down the street moving dirt.Special Features:
- WE liked itTrevDined on 8/21/2014My wife and two sons went there for our 58th wedding anniv. We ate outside on a very pleasant evening and it was a very nice experience except for a bad trumpet playing street musician near us. The macaroni and cheese was wonderful as were the hamburgers, but the hanger steak, a cut I was not familiar with, had an unusual texture, but tasted good. The servers were pleasant an attentive.Special Features:
- Meh.cantthinkofanicknameDined on 8/6/2014Food was ok - the wings were great - but service wasn't spectacular. It also felt a little over-priced for what it was.
- Cute Downtown San Jose HotspoteatablesDined on 8/2/2014I booked a reservation here for me, my husband, and 2 friends. I went out on a limb because we just moved here and I've never eaten at a restaurant in downtown San Jose before. I must say that I am very impressed with the food and service. There was a table available outside, so we were subject to whatever was happening on the sidewalk, but it was certainly entertaining! There is a parking structure across the street, which made it convenient to swing by for a quick dinner. Lovely food display, and service from a guy who truly loves the restaurant and was passionate about their food. Overall, a great place to swing by for a perfect blend of upscale and casual eats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great (if you can stand the noise)SoCalTransplantDined on 7/25/2014The Mrs. and I wanted a romantic but informal place to eat downtown. Reviews of Firehouse No. 1 drew us in. It's a small place with seating outside, in front near the bar, and more in the rear. The place was packed. Originally put in the rear but the noise made it impossible to have a conversation. The waitress happily moved us up front where we could at least hear each other. Food was very good. Pork belly sliders were outstanding (loved the chili sauce), and the cheeseburger (topped with a fried egg) was among the best I've had. Prawns were a bit salty but still good to eat, as was the veggie salad. This is a great place for young couples and groups who thrive on the energy. As for my wife and I, we'll go back on a quieter day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 17 reviews are from the Firehouse No. 1 Gastropub reviews archive.
- Firehouse 1 is Hot!devenhsigDined on 7/18/2014Family and I made reservations and arrived at 8 pm after parking across street in garage - 5th floor. Nice perk that firehose1 validated parking. Noise in the back of building was too much for the family so we moved outside. Wait staff was gracious, prompt and attentive. Food was fantastic! I had the wedge and the angry shrimp. OMG it was good! Definitely will be back! Super Cool that the fire trucks kept cruising by and waving to the patrons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun EveningKathyDined on 7/18/2014We were in San Jose for a family event, and didn't have a clue where to meet up with sister and husband for dinner. I checked for restaurants online and found Firehouse, as well as others. Kept coming back, rereading reviews, etc. and took a chance. Lucky for us! The service was great (thanks, Jennifer, et al)) and the food was very good. We reserved an inside table, but changed our minds and only waited about 20 minutes to grab an outside table. Lovely evening, fun to watch the passersby, and quieter than inside. I would definitely recommend this one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Outdoor Dining in San JoseSMDTravelerDined on 7/14/2014Very nice restaurant. Great service. Very good wine and beer selection. The cheeseburger is to die for. Service excellent. Good for a date, friends, couples.Special Features:
- Pre-concert joyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/1/2014Stumbled upon this eatery on OT and booked it for an early dinner before a concert down the street. Amazing small plate menu with creative cocktails and super friendly staff. Keep up the great work!Special Features:
- Good, unique foodMistyVIPDined on 6/30/2014Tried out Gastropub for the first time and had mixed results. The beet salad was fabulous. The angry prawns was very tasty but overwhelming without bread - you have to specifically request bread if you want it and this dish definitely needs it. The fish and chips had great fries, but the fish was not good. The cocktails were old-fashioned speak-easy style (gin, bourbon, etc) and were rather sour but good if you like sour. It was a nice evening for eating outside, but the inside was rather unappealing, so I'd recommend coming on a warm evening.Special Features:
- Great food, but not for steakSelkiSkinVIPDined on 6/27/2014This was our second visit and some of it was not as great as the first time. I got the angry tiger shrimp which is very good, but my fiance ordered his steak medium rare and when they finally brought us our food (it took much longer than it should have) it was well done. He sent it back and after another long wait he got a new one, which was medium rare-ish on one end and on the high end of medium on the other. All the other food we've had here is great, but I guess they aren't good for steak. We'll still be back for their other food and the good cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Friday Eveninggarnetrose25Dined on 6/20/2014Joined friends for dinner at Firehouse No. 1 Gastropub? We sat outside since the weather was great and it is fun to people watch. Our server was attentive and the food wonderful. I had the Tiger Prawns. It was so good I could have licked the plate! The Mac and Cheese was good also and the hamburger looked delicious. We had chicken wings for an appetizer and it fit the bill. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A really good hamburgerMarkRVIPDined on 6/13/2014There wasn't much atmosphere (unless you're into the bar scene), but when I saw a rectangle around the Firehouse Cheeseburger on the menu, I simply had to try it. It was a tasty, juicy hamburger, and the fries were thin and had just the right level of crispiness. My wife had the chicken, also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for cocktails and food!SelkiSkinVIPDined on 6/6/2014Very tasty cocktails here and the food was fantastic! I had the angry shrimp and they were just the perfect level of spicy. Not tongue searing, but enough to make me sniffle. The grits were probably the best I ever had. My fiance's burger was also very tasty! I highly recommend the Zu Mule. A great take on a Moscow Mule.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieguyVIPDined on 6/2/2014Seems like a nice place. The cocktails were very good. The night we were there the menu is small enough that it didn't appeal to me so we just had drinks...will try the food next time.
- nice dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/26/2014Wife and I had dinner here. We had the warm brie appetizer, cheeseburger, and some steak. Food was all very tasty. Server was very friendly. We ate outside which happened to be quiet. Overall a good experience.Special Features:
- Friendly atmosphereFoodcloseandpersonalDined on 5/16/2014Walked in and it had this nice ambiance to it. Place wasn't too bright or dark, nor too loud or quiet. Was a nice setting for a relax Friday night. Food was good, servings were a build small but we made due. I thought the drink selection would be a bit broader but other than that, it's a nice place to go.Special Features:
- No disappointment hereSavorySweetDined on 5/14/2014Early dinner, excellent and friendly service. Tiger prawns on polenta were surprisingly scrumptuous. Our daughter had the mac and cheese, which was flavorful. My husband had the pork sliders. Crafted cocktail specials make this a MUST do for dinner or lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/11/2014The service was very good. We noticed that there was only one waitress and she had a lot of filled tables. She did a great job. The house made potato chips are very good. The pork chop was yummy and is highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014Food was good. Not worth the price. Slow service. Maybe was a busy night? Won't be coming again.Special Features:
- Always Phenomenal!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/2/2014On the surface you wouldn't expect what appears to be a pub/sports bar to have such amazing food, but it does! Best food in San Jose hands down and the staff is amazing! And craft cocktails made to perfection to boot! I eat here every week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in downtown.JudyVIPDined on 4/28/2014Very good food, unique menu. I will definitely be back.Special Features: