4288 24th Street
San Francisco, CA 94114Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.fireflyrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (415) 821-7652
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30 - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Brad Levy
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
- Cross Street: Douglass
- Public Transit: 48 Quintara stops right out front. 2 blocks from 24 Divisadero (Castro St.) Visit our website for more detailed transit information.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Pretty easy street parking (for San Francisco), but give yourself a few extra minutes.
A word from Firefly
Firefly is the manifestation of the dream of a couple of idealistic romantics, and we’ve spent the last 17 years pursuing the realization of that dream. Our mission is to provide a dynamic neighborhood restaurant with excellent and sustainable food, rooted in the familiar with world touches, and genuine service with intention and generosity.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Firefly - Best Restaurants in Noe Valley ›
Firefly reviews from OpenTable diners
188 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (151)fit for foodies (111)romantic (73)special occasion (60)notable wine list (36)good for groups (32)hot spot (16)kid-friendly (14)late-night find (7)vibrant bar scene (2)great for outdoor dining (2)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Gluten-free at its bestWineSQNDined on 9/1/2014Since one of us has a gluten intolerance we searched for a restaurant that offers gluten-free meals. Firefly is a special spot for people who enjoy and appreciate healthy food. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- So impressed!MostlyWheatFreeDined on 9/1/2014We have been making a special trip to Firefly from Sacramento for my Wife’s birthday for 3 years now. My wife became celiac this year and we decided to risk having a great meal without the pasta/bread/desserts which typically have to be avoided. The server let us know that the chef has become celiac herself and has merely found alternatives to using wheat gluten in most of the recipes. We had access to 90% of the menu. It was delicious. My wife had not had fried chicken in over a year. It was so perfect! Thanks for making this day even more special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood charm always deliversRocketManDined on 8/30/2014Have been returning to firefly for years because the food and service is consistently excellent. Warm atmosphere makes this place a cozy getaway from the SF chill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not as good as in the pastMariaElenaDined on 8/26/2014We took out of town visitors because we have enjoyed Firefly so much in the past. But it has been over a year since our last visit. The appetizers were great: salad and the seafood potstickers. All of us, however, were disappointed in our mains. The "fried chicken you dream of" was good but not outstanding. The Yellowtail fish that two of us had was nice, but could have been cooked SLIGHTLY less, and the reddish sauce with cranberry beans did not really augment the fish, it was too strong a flavor. The lamb that another diner had was a bit stringy. We were sorry to have taken them to "one of our favorite restaurants" only to find it is not as outstanding as it once was. However, we all liked the ambiance and the closeness to home.Special Features:
- Unpretentious qualityFreqsfdinerDined on 8/24/2014Enjoyed the simple but uncommon food in an atmosphere that was understated and original. I enjoyed the lamb and roasted vegetables, and a bread pudding with a subdued sweetness and just-right texture. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoeeatsjoeeatsDined on 8/21/2014Another great meal at Firefly. 4 of us were seated promptly when we arrived - we skipped the appetizers and went straight to the main courses. The chicken is to die for - the biscuit with it is phenomenal - two of us had that. The other two had the flat steak which was also delicious. Great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicejl55VIPDined on 8/19/2014Came here for my husband's birthday with some family members and everyone enjoyed their dinners. The fried chicken was outstanding! Overall a cozy neighborhood gem. Will be back!Special Features:
- As always....SupperClubSFVIPDined on 8/15/2014Dined there many times and it is one of my favorite places to eat. It was as good as always!!!
- Consistently great!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/14/2014I have eaten at Firefly several times over the years. It is at the end of the Noe Valley 24th Street shopping district, perched up on the hill. The chef takes particular pride in both the description of the menu items as well as the use of locally sourced ingredients. Being August, the menu had several items using fresh figs and peaches, which were outstanding. While the interior is simple and plain, the dishes are complex and balanced in their blending of various tastes and textures. The chef is truly an artist in the kitchen.Special Features:
- Best Dining in Noe ValleyKerryLoganDined on 8/8/2014As always, we thoroughly enjoyed our wonderful meal. There is always a new surprise, like the fun chopped summer salad, and the tried and true pot stickers. The fried chicken was the crispest and juiciest ever made and the steak with Hunter sauce divine and perfectly portioned. Yummy Broken Road Chardonnay made the dinner perfect!Special Features:
- Great mealjoeeatsDined on 8/7/2014We went on a Thursday because my partner wanted their fried chicken which he thought was only served on Thursdays. Turns out that it is now on their regular menu and is served nightly. It was delicious - the potatoes with it were perfect and the buttermilk biscuit was superb. I had the white fish which was served in a tomato broth and was outstanding. The entire meal was memorable and I look forward to a prompt return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!!SFRHC13Dined on 8/7/2014been here twice now and have not been disappointed!! excellent food, always a veg option, terrific service. a bit spendy for my budget but great for special occasions. i will be back !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An off night?food4thoughtDined on 8/4/2014We used to love Firefly; it's right in our neighborhood. It still has a warm, inviting atmosphere and attentive service, but sadly the food has gone downhill. The sea bass was perhaps the most poorly prepared fish I've ever had -- overcooked, dry, more of a "fish brick." Dessert crepes were also in keeping with the theme of "dry and tasteless." We took our out-of-town friends here and didn't feel like we had chosen well.
- Always goodOceanViewVIPDined on 8/3/2014I hadn't been to firefly for quite some time & was very pleased to revisit. The corn chowder was excellent! We enjoyed everything we ordered & I love the friendly, casual attentive service. A perfect meal at a reasonable price vSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yes :)Olivefood87Dined on 8/1/2014This was a great restaurant for catching up with a friend! The food was great, the ambiance was romantic, and the wine was fabulous. Service was spot on. It was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Friday night dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/1/2014We had a good experience at Firefly. The service was attentive, the food was well prepared and the ambience was nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummy small portions w/ big pricefoxtrotingDined on 7/31/2014The process were a little high for the amount of food served. The sea bass was delicious but small, spinach treated but so good. The fried chicken was scrumptious bit again too much money for fried chicken. Great place for a special occasion.Special Features:
- The following 1024 reviews are from the Firefly reviews archive.
- Consistent qualityMayCDined on 7/28/2014I have eaten at Firefly since it open, a restaurant does not stay this successful unless it is good,very good. The menu continues to change but the food is interesting, creative, healthy and beautiful. Nice balance between casual and "serious about our food".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great mealChris145Dined on 7/27/2014We loved it again, food service and space, even a pretty view of the neighborhood in frontSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyexnewyorkerDined on 7/22/2014I have been to Firefly many times. It never disappoints. It didn't this time either. I especially love, and look forward to having their fried chicken with gravy, mashed potatoes and home made biscuit. Sooo good. It's one of the first places I think of when visitors from the east coast are in town, or when a special friend is having a birthday.Special Features:
- Neighborhood restaurant is a gemAndreaVIPDined on 7/19/2014We heard about Firefly from our friends in San Francisco and we were amazed at how delicious our dinners were. Our attentive waiter brought us a delicious white bean and tomato spread for the bread that was addictive. My husband said his tender, juicy fried chicken and corn chowder were excellent and I loved my black bean and corn gordita surrounded by gazpacho. Unfortunately, we were too full for dessert but all the selections looked creatively scrumptious. All in all, a perfect meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and foodSteakhouseDined on 7/17/2014A must for those who want something that doesn't have that wannabe feel. Great peopleSpecial Features:
- TastyCrescentcookieDined on 7/16/2014The entrees were tasty. I had a black bean gordita in gazpacho that was fresh, crunchy, and flavorful with a little kick to it. My husband had sea bass that he thought was flavorful. The service was quite slow. They forgot our salad. The dessert was interesting and tasty: warm pecan apricot upside down cake. In a town with so many other wonderful choices, I'd give it a B+. By itself, it was very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/15/2014this is my go to first/second date spot. the ambiance is amazing and the food is delicious ESP paired with the affordable prix fixe price! literally my fave spot.Special Features:
- Respectable, not specialBannerSCWTDined on 7/14/2014I'd prefer giving this 3 1/2 stars. Some dishes were very good...I had a corn chowder as fresh tasting as one could imagine and a catfish filet that on a bed of incredibly flavorful rice and flat green beans. My husband's meal was less successful...pot stickers appetizer was tasty, not special. Same for the "Fried Chicken of Your Dreams"...a testament to being careful naming a dish. The portion was enormous. The chicken was well cooked...moist inside. But there was nothing special about it, no interesting flavor. Mashed potatoes were good, not special. Collards were very well done...pork fat rules. Pleasant spot, good service. No complaints. If we lived in the neighborhood, we'd likely visit again. There are better options in SF.Special Features:
- Noe Valley's bestOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/14/2014We regularly eat at Firefly whenever we have an occasion to celebrate. And whenever we have house guests or friends visiting. Or just when we want to have a great meal. It is by far the best restaurant in Noe Valley and we love it. We have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood destination restauranthowardnoeDined on 7/12/2014I live in the neighborhood and have always been sublimely pleased that Noe Valley has a destination neighborhood restaurant. Alas, I was somewhat disappointed by Saturday night's dinner for six that we ate. Cold soup with pistachios and creme fraiche was ill-conceived, the flavors did not work together and was returned uneaten by three of us diners. My white sea bass was excellent except for tiny broccoli florets which were scattered as garnish but were totally inedible. The rest of the plates — appetizer, entree and dessert — were up to the usual Firefly standards. Especially the fried chicken, a classic which never disappoints. The service was a bit inattentive, too, but I will certainly be coming back to one of my favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- decent but wouldn't go backlovechampagneDined on 7/12/2014My partner and I went for a nice celebratory dinner for his birthday. We get seated and after 20 minutes our waiter comes and says the menu is self explanatory so what do we want. She never came and asked for drinks, water, nothing. We awkwardly ordered and then ordered drinks and I asked for some bread. She said "oh ya, it is coming". The rest of the night was okay. the food wasn't that great, it felt cold and the fried chicken tasted like KFC. Service just kept getting worse. We finished at 8:55 and did not get our bill until 9:05 and then they did not come to pick up the credit card until 9:30. It was just bad. They were busy but service was so poor and food was lackluster so we will not come back.Special Features:
- Memorable eveninghappyeatsDined on 7/11/2014We celebrated our 33rd wedding anniversary here and it was lovely!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarineatsDined on 7/11/2014We haven't been to Firefly for years, since moving to Marin. But we met South Bay friends for dinner and it was as good as we remembered it to be. Three of us ordered the very,very good fried chicken. One order of sea bass which was declared yummy. To start, we shared the gem salad and the scallop dumplings, all agreed they were delish. We didn't stay for dessert. Our waitress was pleasant and didn't rush us. All in all a very satisfying dining experience.Special Features:
- FABULOUS!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/10/2014We had a great waiter and it was perfect for my friend's birthday dinner!Special Features:
- Feels like homeYummyDined on 7/8/2014We found the firefly by accident one night when walking in the neighborhood looking for dinner, and went back the next night when we had a friend in town!! It was that great!! I would come back for just the friendly staff but the food was amazing!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/8/2014We celebrated a birthday at the restaurant. We were a group of six. Everything was fantastic! Delicious. I would go back in a minute.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time was deliciouspaulanddansfVIPDined on 7/2/2014we live an easy 10 minute walk away and finally made it to Firefly. we moved from Atlanta 2 years ago so we know good comfort food when we taste it. the fried chicken is AMAZING and the biscuits are one of the best I've ever had. I also loved the lamb tenderloin. our server was sweet and knowledgeable. we'll be back soon!Special Features:
- Excellent--as alwayssffoodieVIPDined on 6/30/2014We have never had a less than great meal here. The lamb was phenomenal. I would have rather had anything but polenta as a side, but nonetheless, it was great. The chocolate desserts are fantastic too.Special Features:
- Firefly Always DelightsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/30/2014I love Firefly for its relative quiet setting for an SF restaurant and its interesting Cal cuisine. All dishes I have tried there have been superbly prepared and were delicious. On this visit I had the black bean gordita with grilled green tomatoes and it was amazing! This restaurant has stood the test of time and never disappoints.Special Features:
- DeliciousJessicamDined on 6/28/2014Wonderful atmosphere, friendly servers, delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 6/28/2014We've been coming for years and the food has slipped into mediocrity despite some recent positive reviews. It's significant when you look at a menu and nothing sounds particularly good. Everything we had was bland and uninspired. Sorry to see Firefly go down hill as it's still a great location, and the service is always excellent, but mediocre food is mediocre food.
- WendyVIPDined on 6/27/2014Firefly, and the wonderful staff, never disappoints. : )Special Features:
- Perfection!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/26/2014Every dish just right. If you need to be gluten free, you can count on a rare gourmet experience. And if you love to pound down the flour, be sure to order some bread. Our waitress was as good as it gets--gracious, kind, knowledgeable, responsive. Decent space for tables--feels like a neighborhood place without being on top of the party next to you. Nothing precious, just solid dining experience.Special Features: