4288 24th Street
San Francisco, CA 94114Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.fireflyrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4158217652
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30 - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Brad Levy
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
- Cross Street: Douglass
- Public Transit: 48 Quintara stops right out front. 2 blocks from 24 Divisadero (Castro St.) Visit our website for more detailed transit information.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Pretty easy street parking (for San Francisco), but give yourself a few extra minutes.
A word from Firefly
Firefly is the manifestation of the dream of a couple of idealistic romantics, and we’ve spent the last 17 years pursuing the realization of that dream. Our mission is to provide a dynamic neighborhood restaurant with excellent and sustainable food, rooted in the familiar with world touches, and genuine service with intention and generosity.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Firefly - Best Restaurants in Noe Valley ›
Firefly reviews from OpenTable diners
200 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (157)fit for foodies (113)romantic (78)special occasion (75)notable wine list (39)good for groups (31)kid-friendly (16)hot spot (14)late-night find (8)great for brunch (4)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Still great after 22 years!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/19/2014Still love coming to Firefly as a warm, yummy and friendly restaurant. Food always great!Special Features:
- A wonderful dinnerjmonmaDined on 10/18/2014Firefly is a charming restaurant tucked in adorable Noe Valley. It's a popular spot, so reservations are recommended. It's a bit noisy, but the ambiance is romantic so it's not boisterous. The food was very good, with a couple good vegetarian options. I'd recommend Firefly to anyone in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Undercooked Pork & ChickenYoFoodVIPDined on 10/14/2014We have been going to Firefly for many years. Something has changed. The service was slow...and I mean S L O W. The place was not full. But one of us ordered the Porkchop and it was not cooked properly. And two of us ordered their fried chicken also was not cooked properly. I can not and will not tolerate this and we will never ever eat there again. Ever.
- ObispoDined on 10/9/2014I've never had a bad experience at Firefly. The staff takes extra care to meet the diner's needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rediscovered local gem.sfhotrodDined on 10/9/2014Used to live a couple blocks away and always loved the food, service and friendly staff. Been few years since we remembered this gem and took friends from Guernville there this week. OMG! It was even better than before and all of us enjoyed every bite and the knowledgeable and friendly staff. We will be back soon!Special Features:
- woohoowoohooDined on 10/8/2014excellent fried chicken with biscuit! Serving now during the fall. Go try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic home cooked fooddogloverVIPDined on 10/1/2014great for vegans, vegetarians, everyone.. has wonderful quality, great combinationsSpecial Features:
- Get the lamb!SherryFromSFDined on 10/1/2014Service was fast and friendly - the waitress always had a big smile on. We ordered and split the honey-rosemary quince and apple frisee salad, and it had hazelnuts, and fresh ricotta, and we liked it very much. Hubby ordered the Beef Brisket, served with Beets and Crispy Curly Kale, and I had the Grilled Lamb Shoulder Chop with Chickpea-Spinach and Eggplant. His beef was very good, but we both liked the flavors in my lamb better. The cut of my lamb was huge, too. It was delicious, mouth watering, and savory. For dessert, hubby got the warm apple date cake, which was very good, and I got the Chocolate Custard, along with the recommended port, and it was excellent. Chocolatey, and light and fluffy at the same time. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- no longer great value!disappointedDined on 9/30/2014I've been going to Firefly for many years. Their fried chicken is some of the best in the city. It was an excellent value...4 small pieces of chicken for $22. I often had enough for lunch the next day. I was sadly disappointed with the chicken I was served on my last visit, Sep 30 2014...only two pieces!!! When I asked about the change, the waitress said it was determined that most people took chicken home and therefore the serving size was too big. I then asked if the price had also been reduced...NO, SAME PRICE. Not sure I will return. There are certainly enough other restaurants in the city that serve excellent fried chicken for a better value.Special Features:
- Good as usual, but...OlivierDined on 9/29/2014Always a treat to dine out at Firefly. We had the beed brisket, which was great. However the side was cold, which was suprising as the quality of preparation is usually very good. Beside that down note, great food. The dessert --we always go with some dark chocolate cake that comes with a side of salty caramel-- was delicious.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely eveningMarHeWannaEatDined on 9/28/2014Not only was the food quite good, the service was exceptional! I just put a note in the "special comments" section of the reservation that we were celebrating my partner's becoming a finalist in the San Francisco Comedy Competition, and our server came out with a candle on our dessert! That was such a lovely touch... As for the food, do NOT miss the chocolate custard...!!!Special Features:
- 1st time back in 20 yrs, fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/25/2014we used to live in the neighborhood and ate at firefly quite often. we decided to go back for our 21st anniversary, GREAT food (I had the sea trout), wine was AMAZING (helped by our fantastic waiter), FUN atmosphere. I was a bit hesitant cuz didn't want to be disappointed and ruin my memories, but not at all. After all these years, this place is still the best!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good go to intimate treasureluv2luvfoodDined on 9/25/2014Felt welcome and well served by bartender, host, and the knowledgeable, accommodating staff. The seed encrusted trout and the apple date cake with creme fraiche ice cream were delicious. While the food, ambiance, and service were great, it was rare and refreshing to be able to speak with friends without straining. Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fried chicken no longer the bestFollowtheliedeVIPDined on 9/22/2014We live close by and used to love coming to the restaurant with its friendly atmosphere and staff. A neighborhood gem. However, they recently changed one of their sought after dishes, the fried chicken. It is now only dark meat and only 2 small pieces. This coincided with a general lack of consistency in the food in recent months. We used to be proud to take guests from out of town to dine there with us, but we are now forced to break up with Firefly.Special Features:
- Main courses were disappointingJollyVIPDined on 9/22/2014We ordered two mains. One was the braised lamb which was a small chunk of "very" dry meat. The other was flank steak. Although flavor was good and perfectly medium rare, there were only 3 slices of rather chewy beef. For $26, portion was on the small side. It was my first visit to this restaurant and I don't think I will go back.Special Features:
- I love FireflyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/16/2014The food is reliably good, the service is wonderful, the people kind. No wonder it is always packed! Even my difficult dietary needs don't bother them. They aims to please!Special Features:
- Firefly lights it upSfeatergirlDined on 9/14/2014Food was again fantastic. The squash with risotto dish the Mahi Mahi with tomato and butter beans ... The poblano stuffed peppers were a great start. And the chocolate nob cake with sorbet a delight. Service was not as exceptional as usual but fine. Firefly never failsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Off The Beaten Path GemwinewisedonDined on 9/14/2014Once again we 'dined', the operant word here, rather than 'ate'. Service cordial and efficient. Menu is small, but well thought and executed. One of my favorites id SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in Noe ValleyNick714Dined on 9/13/2014Firefly is an small intimate place in a quite part of Noe Valley with consistently great food. The staff clearly love good food and work hard to provide an enjoyable dinner experience. I have been going to Firefly for years to celebrate special events or have a romantic dinner. The menu changes frequently but is always full of variety and beautifully prepared food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A True SF ExperiencefoodeeDined on 9/12/2014Great restaurant in a quiet part of Noe. The wine list was well rounded, and we chose an Unti Syrah that was perfect for all 4 of us. The fried chicken comfort food was as advertised and the hunter steak was very professionally presented and tasted wonderful. Service was attentive without being smothering. Small venue - two dining rooms on two levels with warm wood tables. Definitely choose this for a low-stress, great neighborhood experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was expecting more.RosieDined on 9/8/2014Had been to firefly years ago and the food was great. The atmosphere is good. Filled with locals in a very nice venue. Our server was good but the gentleman that took care of our wine was outstanding. It was a special birthday occasion and my wife and I were very excited to be there. The shrimp and scallop pot stickers were wonderful. I had the fried chicken which was good but not great. The vegetables were cold but the mashed potatoes and gravy were also above board. My wife had the trout appetizer which she indicated was a bit fishy and the flank steak main course which she described as ordinary. For dessert we split the pannicota which was awesome. We hope to go back and have a better culinary experience.Special Features:
- A great place for dinnerGarpeDined on 9/7/2014I probably shouldn't write anything too positive since that's only going to increase the people that visit and I think it's busy enough as it is - I don't want it to become really hard to get a table here! I've been here a few times and it's probably my favourite place to eat. Sure you can pay more elsewhere for a really fancy meal, but everything just fits together perfectly here. The service is excellent, friendly and warm. The price isn't over the top and the food & wine is top-draw. The ambience is lovely for a meal with your partner and we'll continue to come back on a regular basis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodeasthamsfinestVIPDined on 9/5/2014All the dishes were delicious and unique. They also treated us to some sparkling wine for our anniversary which was a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten-free at its bestWineSQNDined on 9/1/2014Since one of us has a gluten intolerance we searched for a restaurant that offers gluten-free meals. Firefly is a special spot for people who enjoy and appreciate healthy food. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- So impressed!MostlyWheatFreeDined on 9/1/2014We have been making a special trip to Firefly from Sacramento for my Wife’s birthday for 3 years now. My wife became celiac this year and we decided to risk having a great meal without the pasta/bread/desserts which typically have to be avoided. The server let us know that the chef has become celiac herself and has merely found alternatives to using wheat gluten in most of the recipes. We had access to 90% of the menu. It was delicious. My wife had not had fried chicken in over a year. It was so perfect! Thanks for making this day even more special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood charm always deliversRocketManDined on 8/30/2014Have been returning to firefly for years because the food and service is consistently excellent. Warm atmosphere makes this place a cozy getaway from the SF chill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not as good as in the pastMariaElenaDined on 8/26/2014We took out of town visitors because we have enjoyed Firefly so much in the past. But it has been over a year since our last visit. The appetizers were great: salad and the seafood potstickers. All of us, however, were disappointed in our mains. The "fried chicken you dream of" was good but not outstanding. The Yellowtail fish that two of us had was nice, but could have been cooked SLIGHTLY less, and the reddish sauce with cranberry beans did not really augment the fish, it was too strong a flavor. The lamb that another diner had was a bit stringy. We were sorry to have taken them to "one of our favorite restaurants" only to find it is not as outstanding as it once was. However, we all liked the ambiance and the closeness to home.Special Features:
- Unpretentious qualityFreqsfdinerDined on 8/24/2014Enjoyed the simple but uncommon food in an atmosphere that was understated and original. I enjoyed the lamb and roasted vegetables, and a bread pudding with a subdued sweetness and just-right texture. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoeeatsjoeeatsDined on 8/21/2014Another great meal at Firefly. 4 of us were seated promptly when we arrived - we skipped the appetizers and went straight to the main courses. The chicken is to die for - the biscuit with it is phenomenal - two of us had that. The other two had the flat steak which was also delicious. Great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicejl55VIPDined on 8/19/2014Came here for my husband's birthday with some family members and everyone enjoyed their dinners. The fried chicken was outstanding! Overall a cozy neighborhood gem. Will be back!Special Features:
- As always....SupperClubSFVIPDined on 8/15/2014Dined there many times and it is one of my favorite places to eat. It was as good as always!!!
- Consistently great!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/14/2014I have eaten at Firefly several times over the years. It is at the end of the Noe Valley 24th Street shopping district, perched up on the hill. The chef takes particular pride in both the description of the menu items as well as the use of locally sourced ingredients. Being August, the menu had several items using fresh figs and peaches, which were outstanding. While the interior is simple and plain, the dishes are complex and balanced in their blending of various tastes and textures. The chef is truly an artist in the kitchen.Special Features:
- Best Dining in Noe ValleyKerryLoganDined on 8/8/2014As always, we thoroughly enjoyed our wonderful meal. There is always a new surprise, like the fun chopped summer salad, and the tried and true pot stickers. The fried chicken was the crispest and juiciest ever made and the steak with Hunter sauce divine and perfectly portioned. Yummy Broken Road Chardonnay made the dinner perfect!Special Features:
- Great mealjoeeatsDined on 8/7/2014We went on a Thursday because my partner wanted their fried chicken which he thought was only served on Thursdays. Turns out that it is now on their regular menu and is served nightly. It was delicious - the potatoes with it were perfect and the buttermilk biscuit was superb. I had the white fish which was served in a tomato broth and was outstanding. The entire meal was memorable and I look forward to a prompt return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!!SFRHC13Dined on 8/7/2014been here twice now and have not been disappointed!! excellent food, always a veg option, terrific service. a bit spendy for my budget but great for special occasions. i will be back !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An off night?food4thoughtDined on 8/4/2014We used to love Firefly; it's right in our neighborhood. It still has a warm, inviting atmosphere and attentive service, but sadly the food has gone downhill. The sea bass was perhaps the most poorly prepared fish I've ever had -- overcooked, dry, more of a "fish brick." Dessert crepes were also in keeping with the theme of "dry and tasteless." We took our out-of-town friends here and didn't feel like we had chosen well.
- Always goodOceanViewVIPDined on 8/3/2014I hadn't been to firefly for quite some time & was very pleased to revisit. The corn chowder was excellent! We enjoyed everything we ordered & I love the friendly, casual attentive service. A perfect meal at a reasonable price vSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yes :)Olivefood87Dined on 8/1/2014This was a great restaurant for catching up with a friend! The food was great, the ambiance was romantic, and the wine was fabulous. Service was spot on. It was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Friday night dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/1/2014We had a good experience at Firefly. The service was attentive, the food was well prepared and the ambience was nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummy small portions w/ big pricefoxtrotingDined on 7/31/2014The process were a little high for the amount of food served. The sea bass was delicious but small, spinach treated but so good. The fried chicken was scrumptious bit again too much money for fried chicken. Great place for a special occasion.Special Features: