223 Petronia St
Key West, FL 33040Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.fireflykeywest.com/
- Phone: (305) 849-0104
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch Daily: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner Nightly: 6:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern
- Executive Chef: Michael Price
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
A word from Firefly
Modern Southern cuisine in an upscale-casual environment.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Firefly - Best Restaurants in Key West ›
Firefly reviews from OpenTable diners
44 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (29)neighborhood gem (26)great for outdoor dining (22)good for groups (12)great for brunch (11)special occasion (11)romantic (11)notable wine list (8)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (5)hot spot (4)late-night find (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Fantastic DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/19/2014We had a fantastic dinner at Firefly Key West. The service is fantastic and the food is amazing. We had the house made jerky followed by the Flat Iron Steak and the Fried Chicken then the Key Lime Cake. All of these dishes were amazing and the vegetables with the mains were so delicious. We had a table on the outside balcony upstairs which had a wonderful ambiance. The staff were so friendly and helpful we couldn't fault this evening at all. We had all of this and a bottle of wine for just over $100 and we were so full! Highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Firefly is Yummy!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/19/2014We had brunch upstairs on the veranda. The food was exceptional and the service was friendly without being annoying. Our only regret is that we didn't have time in our schedule to go back for dinner.....but we will next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern DelightAlwayshonestVIPDined on 11/10/2014This newcomer to Key West is located 2 blocks off of busy Duval, a terrific location with outside or inside seating. Wonderful southern influenced food. My granny would approve! Don't miss this if you have had your fill of fish. Fried Chicken, pork, shrimp & grits - yum!Special Features:
- Great FindgoodfoodieDined on 11/9/2014Food was great, service was great. Very friendly and a nice ambiance. We arrived early and had a drink at the bar. The Bartender was a great guy who was very helpful explaining different kinds of beers to us. He was engaging and gave us some suggestions on things to do in Key West. All of the service staff were extremely friendly. We sat outside upstairs which a had a warm, welcoming feeling with white lights strung across the ceiling. The food...3 fried chickens and a gumbo... was excellent and the dessert, a peach/mango cobbler with vanilla ice cream, was to die for. We were stuffed from dinner but got one dessert to split. We were very happy we did. All four people dining highly recommend Firefly.Special Features:
- Great fried chicken - poor locationCathyDined on 11/8/2014The restaurant itself is very nice but somewhat off the beaten path. No view excep an abandoned building. Appetizers were ok, we got the corn bread with sausage and fried green tomatoes. The cornbread was good not great. The fried green tomato was very hard and chewy. The fried chicken was to die for moist and crispy without being greasy and my companion enjoyed the gumbo. We did not have dessert preferring to move to a better area on Duval St. there was also no liquor, just beer and wine. It was good but they will need to step it up to get people to go back. The prices are very reasonable.
- Old fashioned Southern cooking!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/3/2014This restaurant was recommended to me by my cousin. I was looking for some good old fashioned Southern cooking while visiting Key West. This was a great choice! The fried chicken was exceptionally good as were the mashed potatoes and grilled brussel sprouts. However, the real treat was the desserts! I had the peach cobbler and it was wonderful! I'd actually go back to Firefly just to have this homemade treat again! Excellent!! The staff at Firefly was also very good. They were relaxed, helpful and quite willing to ensure that we had a wonderful dining experience. I would not hesitate to dine here again when I visit Key West. Highly recommended! Just remember, try the peach cobbler!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FOOD TOO SPICYOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014We have eaten at this restaurant twice. First time was good. This time EVERYTHING was TOO SPICY. This is neither New Orleans food nor southern food. We like spicy food but this was awful!!!! Send your chef to New Orleans for a taste of "real" New Orleans food.
- Decent Southern CookingKeyWestLocalDined on 10/27/2014We were a party of two, trying Firefly for the first time. Service was excellent, food was good. We heard wonderful things about it, but were a little disappointed in the quality of food. Having said that, the menu was creative, even though it was small. Will try Firefly again in the future.Special Features:
- MJfantasyfest2014Dined on 10/21/2014Great Southern food. The biscuits were great. The Fried chicken is a must try. Best southern food on the island. The only place where we could get authentic great tasting sweet tea on the whole island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!kevinatrbDined on 10/14/2014Firefly was a very unique dining experience. We dined on the outside terrace on the second floor which was very romantic and picturesque. The food was delicious! I highly recommend the cornbread off the appetizer selections. I had the catch of the day which was prepared perfectly. The key lime cake is one of the best desserts I've ever tasted! The only thing lacking at Firefly was the level of service. We waited 50 minutes from the end of our appetizer course until our entree's were delivered. We actually went looking for our server to find out what was taking so long. No one ever apologized or attempted to explain what the delay was. This definitely tarnished what was otherwise a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Key West OriginalManhattanfoodieDined on 10/13/2014With so many Southerners in Key West, it's about time someone opened a real southern kitchen. The food here is simple, tasty and comforting. The crispy pork rinds pack a delayed heat and the fried green tomatoes were crunchy on the outside and just slightly tender on the inside. We definitely want to try the crispy pig ears next visit. Reserve an outdoor table upstairs. The spacious, light-strung veranda has some of the best breezes on the island, at least when we dined. And make sure you stay for dessert. Firefly has their own pastry chef and the original spin on some well-known classics are worth saving room for. Overall, like Santiago's Bodega, it's a dinner worthy of the long trip down towards the end of Petronia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful, romantic, deliciousBeachJournalistDined on 10/12/2014My husband and I chose this restaurant for our two-year anniversary dinner after reading all the recommendations on TripAdvisor. We were not disappointed - the food was delicious and the staff made us feel special. Even though seating on the upstairs balcony that I had requested was not available, they gave us a beautiful candle-lit table on the ground floor that was so romantic. And the food - wow! I have lived in the South all of my life and never eaten better cheese grits and fried chicken. Amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High end SouthernDecodaveDined on 10/7/2014Southern favorites that are well cooked & seasoned.Special Features:
- Not a favorite for us :(NaplesFoodiesDined on 10/5/2014Firefly does not measure up to other Key West eateries. My entree was good [gumbo], but the service was sub-standard. My wife cut into her fried-chicken, and a blood vessel exploded which leaked blood onto the plate -- certainly not the restaurant fault, but when we told the 'hostess' [wait staff nowhere to be found], she made excuses as to the reason it happened, and made it sound perfectly normal [more appropriate response would have been, I am so sorry this happened, what else can we get you?]. Honestly, it felt like she could have cared less -- perhaps not, but it felt this way to us. Not a great experience, and will choose to dine in other locations.
- Great Southern cookingSouthernDined on 10/1/2014While nothing about the decor says "southern", the food more than makes up for it. The brisket was perfection on a plate, the gumbo was pure soul in a bowl. If you have ventured to Blue Heaven, you know the neighborhood. Firefly deserves to be here for a long while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just superb foodTrustedguyDined on 9/15/2014Great drink and lovely food. Every dish is superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Firefly is faboo!SugarLoaferVIPDined on 9/14/2014We were seated immediately at a lovely table on the front porch; our server was attentive and helpful with our choices, both beverages and entrees. The fried chicken was worth the wait--no pre-made bird that has been sitting under a heat lamp here. And those fried green tomatoes...now I know why Fannie Flagg wrote a book about them. I've been here several times, and I've not been disappointed yet, nor do I expect to be.Special Features:
- $14 water?!OpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 9/13/2014My wife and I loved this meal. We loved everything about it, except when the bill came and we wee charged $14 for water! This was not some artisanal water from a remote Swiss monastery, but $14 for plain old Key West Tap water! I don't mind being charged for water, that's fine. $14 for tap water seems a little excessive. If they changed that policy, the meal would have been close to perfect. Crispy on the outside, nice and juicy and with just the right amount of tartness fried green tomatoes. Amazing cornbread with a hint of jalapeño, my steak was perfectly cooked with a great chimichurri sauce. My wife's vegetarian dish was delicious. The apple pie with cheddar cheese backed it to the crust and the filling was sublime.Special Features:
- Just fantasticTrustedguyDined on 9/13/2014Great food everything is superb. Location perfect off the main Key West drag. Can't get enough of their food. All their dishes are intelligently thought out and I love their attention to detail. The drinks list includes great draught beers and decent wines. Prices are fine for the level of quality.Special Features:
- Didn't disappointFloridaloverDined on 9/9/2014Read the reviews and thought we would try for something a bit different. We were all very impressed, great service and great food. Would highly recommend this to anyone in Key West.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Firefly was a fantastic restaurant!Minnehaha9Dined on 9/9/2014The fried chicken, gumbo and flank steak we outstanding, flavorful and large portions. This wonderful place lives up to all the great reviews it has gotten on TripAdvisor and other places. Absolutely a sure bet!Special Features:
- Great FoodCoroDined on 9/6/2014We spent a lovely evening - with the Kids - an experienced perfect Service and delicious meals. Highlights have been the pastry for dessert. Perfect evening in relaxed athmosphere!Special Features:
- Good places in Keys - love this oneCLBBVIPDined on 8/29/2014This was our favorite of all the restaurants we ate on our visit to Key West. Yum fried chicken.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful atmosphere but....vegasloverVIPDined on 8/22/2014We thought we would try firefly because of the good reviews on Opentable. Also because santiago's was closed. We were seated on the upstairs balcony which was a nice surprise. They have wonderful seating areas here inside and out. The place is clean. Our waiter seemed out of place and almost like a last minute fill in. I was also dissappiointed by the few menu choices. I can understand this for a new restaurant though but i just couldn't seem to find anything i really wanted. I am not sure about the "southern" food they offer. Not sure it will go over in KW. I hope so as the atmosphere was excellent, but the food was just average.Special Features:
- Pigs earsdinewithmeDined on 8/19/2014Southern fried cooking at its best. It is always quite obvious when the owner/chef really care about their product. My family and I were in Key West on vacation and found this restaurant by mistake. We were glad we did. We sampled our way through the appetizers from pigs ears to green fried tomatoes and never even got to the entrées. Take my advice tried all you'll be happy.Special Features:
- Absolutely CharmingEatUpDined on 8/12/2014We dined 2x during our week in Key West. Once for brunch and once for dinner. We were lucky enough to have the same fantastic server. He was knowledgeable without being pretentious, suggestive without being pushy, and attentive without being invasive. Our meals came to the table hot and well timed. The presentations were clean and graceful. The flavors were well balanced and counterpointed elegantly. While the food was delightful and most certainly worth returning for, the professional yet genuinely friendly service truly made both of our experiences all the more memorable. My only regret is not remembering the name of our server so as to offer him a direct compliment and a huge thanks!!Special Features:
- Great southern food, live musicmarquis790VIPDined on 8/10/2014Live music at brunch on Sundays, I'm vegetarian and while mostly meat options, staff always work with me to make special great-tasting meal options, great drop biscuits and fried-green tomato sandwichesSpecial Features:
- Birthday CelebrationGreatdiningVIPDined on 8/2/2014Excellent Service. Friendly hostess. Great food! Enjoyed my experience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 64 reviews are from the Firefly reviews archive.
- interesting new placekeywestloverDined on 7/24/2014great ambiance on outside veranda overlooking the up and coming bahama village neighborhood. very expensive entrees, pretty good, not great southern cooking. fascinating place that my under 25 age daughters enjoyed greatly. Jordan our waiter could not have been better. he was charming and attentive without being intrusive. will be interested to hear other reviews. I would like to see this place succeed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not really southernKWNavydocDined on 7/23/2014Touted as a southern eclectic restaurant, the restaurant doesn't rely on southern hospitality nor sweet tea to make its claim. Like any other restaurant in key west you won't get a bad meal. What sets this place out is its adaptation of southern comfort food into nice night out dining. The gumbo, cornbread, fried green tomatoes were really good. The shrimp and grits were perfect except fort the green tomato pie stuck in the middle. And please cut the tails of the shrimp. You never know how clean any tail every really is. Otherwise nice selection of beer and wine to support the nice but limited menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodKarenDined on 7/19/2014We had 3 meals here in three days best food in Key West❤️❤️❤️Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FANTASTIC!gotchDined on 7/18/2014We had heard about Firefly and had a reservation this past Friday night. The food was absolutely fantastic! The tastes were amazing (we had quite a few appetizer type of plates, so we got to try many dishes). The tastes were wonderful and the food was very reasonable. I had the skirt steak as my main course, it was done perfectly (med rare) and the flavors were spectacular. We were wishing we were spending one more night in Key West so we could have dinner there again. I would recommend this restaurant for everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just simply awesomeletseatDined on 7/16/2014Found this gem on trip advisor, read the reviews and I must say I was totally impressed. Staff was friendly, attentive, food was just awesome. Fried chicken was outstanding and the gumbo perfect. A must dine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- real southern with a differenceJoyceDined on 7/9/2014This is definitely Southern fare, but with a delightful twist. The managers are long-standing restaurateurs in Key West, and they have filled a gap with many items you won't find in most Key West restaurants (e.g., grits and pork belly) paired with local delicacies (the freshest shrimp and fish). Knowledgeable wine list, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a wonderful dinner!gourmandVIPDined on 7/5/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at Firefly. The staff was friendly and accommodating. We ordered fried green tomatoes, beet salad, and gumbo, all prepared to our liking and nicely presented. The gumbo was especially satisfying, made from a rich, dark roux with ample shrimp. We happened to be there on a Saturday evening when they had a talented musician playing, who we also very much enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- When in the southLIEUVIPDined on 7/5/2014Food is tasty and well-prepared. Menu is somewhat limited, but is from the southern food tradition, as advertised. As a non-southerner, it becomes a bit of a culinary culture shock to dine here, but that is the deal. All staff are very cordial and easy to talk to. Give it a try. Musician playing softly on the deck is a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!JpaigeyDined on 6/22/2014This place is really great. The food was amazing and the staff was very attentive!! The sweet tea... Perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JudiDined on 6/2/2014Great southern cuisine. My husband LOVED the gumbo. Friendly and attentive service. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- JackDined on 5/24/2014This was our first visit and we did not leave with a favorable impression. We were seated on the 2nd floor outside balcony which was nice. The fried green tomatoes and kale salad were really tasty. We were warned the gumbo was a little spicy but what we received should not have been served. Presented well but it was so spicy hot we could not eat most of it. Mentioned to server and the only reaction was "I'm sorry". The server was also a little chatty, almost to the point of annoying, but was still attentive to our needs. I'm willing to try this restaurant again but it won't be at the top of the list during our next visit to Key West.Special Features:
- Great Service, craft drinks & foodDurrtinezDined on 5/23/2014A bit late for the res due to parking On Memorial Day wknd but the hostess was very understanding. Sat us on the patio which we'd heard so much abt. Was light & breezy, despite a few tables up there it wasn't noisy at all. They have an appealing craft beer & cocktail selection & you can even get mead! We had the puffins which were actually on the lighter side & just the right amt of food plus the pecans & syrup on them were the perfect touch. The biscuit fried chicken w/ghost pepper cheese was made w/ peppers grown out back & biscuits baked that morning. Oh & Pls try the key lime cake! So good. Our server, Erich, was very friendly, gave us great recommendations on everything, even bars to hit up in the area. We'll be there again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.