Firefly Grill & Wine Bar
251 N. El Camino Real Suite B
Encinitas, CA 92024Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Firefly Grill & Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.fireflygrillandwinebar.com/
- Phone: 7606351066
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Paul Rinaudo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Parties from 10 to 200. Each menu customized for every party.
- Private Party Contact: Jim Barrasso 7606351066
A word from Firefly Grill & Wine Bar
North County's Sexiest Place to Sip. Seasonal menu featuring local ingredients. Award winning wine list featuring 30 wines by the glass with an additional 100 by the bottle.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Firefly Grill & Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Encinitas ›
Firefly Grill & Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (26)notable wine list (26)special occasion (22)romantic (19)fit for foodies (16)good for groups (6)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for outdoor dining (2)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- RELIABLY WONDERFULCthebirdieDined on 9/26/2014We went to dine with friends for dinner just last Friday night.....everyone loved their choices. I would order my entrée again in a heartbeat.....the Thyme and Pepper-Crusted Strip Steak with fingerling potatoes, roasted mushrooms, cipolline onion, watercress, and pommeray mustard. It was perfectly prepared to order. Oh, and they make a great Vodka Gimlet with real lime juice! This is a great restaurant in the heart of new Encinitas, and the secret is out. The place was not lacking customers for dinner, yet even with many diners there, the atmosphere was comfortable, relaxing, never noisy, and service was prompt, courteous and professional. Just wish they'd bring back that Salted Caramel Butterscotch pudding dessert! Hint, hint...Special Features:
- Wonderful Food, Attentive Serviceout4aneveningDined on 9/21/2014My husband and I went to Firefly on Sunday in Restaurant Week. We ordered different things from the prix fixe menu for Restaurant Week, and we both loved what we'd ordered. The filet mignon was the best I'd ever tasted, the salad and risotto appetizers were great, the desserts were lovely. My husband ordered the wine accompaniment with his dinner, and it was evident that the wine cellar in this restaurant is stocked very carefully and with expertise. Very reasonable for the quality.Special Features:
- LindaVIPDined on 9/21/2014Great dinner at Firefly to open Restaurant Week! The $35 three course meal was up to Firefly's high standards. Great service from Derrick, and it's always good to talk wine with Jim!Special Features:
- saturday nite letdownsweetnsourDined on 9/20/2014Presentation was over done, food flavors were forgettable. Crab cakes way to salty. Muscles and clams nice sauce, no substance except for shells.. Tasting menu ..... beef was tough, (frozen)succatash, strange combo unless its wednesday night at grandmas. other than that forgettable due to mediocrity Dessert peanut butter mush, awful. but nice presentations. Won't be coming here again due to value too much money for this falderall.Special Features:
- So Yummy!lyssa13VIPDined on 9/13/2014This restaurant was SO good! Everything we ate was absolutely amazing and service was GREAT! Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2014Chef prepared a very tasty wine paring menu. The Duck was especially tasty, moist and tender.The Sea Bass second course also delicious.Special Features:
- A standoutdinerVIPDined on 8/29/2014Every time we come here we are reminded of the basics of dining, food and service. The owner knows his wine list well and offers lovely wines that he has personally found (though you might have a hard time doing the same). A great spot for a special dinner. And the weekend tasting menus are really great values. A gem in a mall!Special Features:
- Good date nightScrapnslaterDined on 8/21/2014Was looking for a good place for date night and my husband and I always drive by this place. We decided to give it a try. Food menu is small so you aren't feeling like there is so many options you can't pick. Ambiance was romantic and the noise level was great for conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jan's Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/4/2014The Service was Great and the waitress was excellent. The food is always fantastic that is why Firefly is our restaurant of choice for special Romantic occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible findOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/1/2014Can't go wrong. Crab cakes, seared scallops, filet are amazing. Hamburger fresh ground on promises from filet scraps is best we've ever had. Chocolate pate is perfect ending. Staff and owner are amazing. Can't miss.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ChefthunefeldDined on 7/24/2014We discovered firefly by chance in late June and returned in July. We especially enjoyed the crab cakes, the scallops and the kale salad. Great wine list. Service, while friendly, might have been a bit more attentive… We had to ask for water refills, bread refills, or beer… Overall, a warm, inviting place with fabulous food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always A Good ChoiceTominCADined on 7/18/2014Firefly continues to be a local favorite. The good is consistently very good with service to match. I had a pepper and thyme strip steak which was cooked perfectly. Others in the group enjoyed the filet, salmon and seafood soup. Wine list could feature a few selections at a lower entry price.
- great findgeeseVIPDined on 7/7/2014We discovered this restaurant on OpenTable and chose it because of their menu and proximity to where we were staying. Had great foo, wonderful service and a pleasant experience all around. We highly recommend it.Special Features:
- 4th of July weekendLindaVIPDined on 7/5/2014What a treat to have a superb, leisurely dinner at Firefly on a busy holiday weekend! Always great to see Jim; excellent service by April.Special Features:
- A Favorite!Artful9VIPDined on 6/21/2014Never disappoints. Great place for the prix fix menu or a burger. Service is always good and you can actually visit with your dining partners!Special Features:
- Firefly was recommended by a friendBandCDined on 6/15/2014Father's Day was quiet there, with only a few tables of customers. . . just the mellow we were looking for. Meat-centered menu, but the scallops were amazing & the beef rib very tender & tasty. Nice wine menu. Excellent service & attention to detail. A very nice find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something missingsacatopentblDined on 6/5/2014The restaurant used to have a personal touch that elevated it above other small, neighborhood restaurants. That's seems to have gone away the last two times that my wife and I ate at the restaurant. We had become used to the sommelier advice and the interesting conversation that went along with that. Now, Firefly does not seem to have the quality that made it better.
- DisappointedDineRusDined on 6/5/2014I usually have an execlent salmon there. Firefly was my reliable very favorite restaurant in north county. So I went there for my birthday. I was disappointed for the first time. My salmon was average. So was my companions. Her steak was average and her potatoes were over salted. The only outstanding item was the brown butter bread. I enjoied that a lot. I wish I'd just gone there for dessert. I don't think I'll be going back to fire fly. I expect a lot more from firefly than I got.
- The following 297 reviews are from the Firefly Grill & Wine Bar reviews archive.
- Very disappointedlovefoodandwineDined on 5/30/2014Maybe it was an off-night but we had a really disappointing meal. We're not necessarily food snobs, but we like good food. This just wasn't. The salad was flavorless and over-dressed, the filet mignon bites were odd.....potatoes didn't taste fresh and while the meat was nice and tender, the sauce was flavorless. My husband's meal was flavorless as well. Most disappointing was the wine selection. For a wine bar, there wasn't a big selection of by-the-glass wines. My sauvignon blanc was very oaky, which I've never experienced before. My husband wasn't thrilled with his syrah. The pinot grigio was much better. The meal was saved by Yogurtland across the street.
- Not quite up to Par!HapyDined on 5/11/2014Having never been, I took a chance on this place for Mother's Day dinner. Unfortunately they were short staffed, our fairly large group of 12 had rather poor service. We sat for 45 minutes before our order was taken. The manager wandered around but never came over to explain any delays.We had two wait staff attending to us, but were never introduced to either of them. We were asked if we wanted drinks, but never asked again for refills or more drinks. Everyone seemed to enjoy their food as we all had something different for the most part. Only the chicken dish was not up to par, as the "sauce" surrounding the chicken, looked more like soup then any sauce. I did say that I would recommend Firefly Grill, but not on a holiday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful local gourmet restaurantWhiskeynGolfDined on 5/11/2014This is a gem of a restaurant tucked away in suburban Encinitas. The owner is a terrific host, and a knowledgeable wine maven. The menu is eclectic, and not unreasonably priced. If you like hidden gems, this is it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special birthday dinnerJoelZDined on 5/8/2014We were greeted as old friends by the owner and escorted to our favorite table. The menu has great regulars and always interesting new seasonal additions that make dining an awaiting surprise. We enjoy fish which is always cooked just right; always moist and full of flavor. The wine list is excellent and Firefly also has some gem liquors for those who want to explore; try the Whistle Pig 100% Canadian Rye. We heartily recommend this neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!MarleneVIPDined on 4/26/2014i am not usually in this area for dinner but had an event nearby in Encinitas so we had dinner at Firefly. Loved the ambiance and the decor, and the food was top-notch. We eat out a lot and consider ourselves "foodies," so this praise isn't given lightly! Two of us had two appetizers, the third did the tasting menu. THe mac and blue cheese and kale salad were superb, as were the short ribs and creme caramel on the tasting menu. In fact, the whole tasting menu was excellent (the other two courses were escargot and salad niçoise) and plentiful. We will be back, despite the drive.Special Features:
- Great Encinitas offeringLloydt10Dined on 4/26/2014Service was great. Dinner was tasty and well plated. I had the short ribs and it was dellicious. My wife had the scallops and the pea sauce was a nice touch. My friends seafood stew was chock full of fish, mussels, and shrimp. I highly recommend all 3 dishes. I would recommend to ownership that they improve the appetizer choices. It looks like too much Spanish, or Mediterranean style not enough dishes to compliment the entree list. I would add a carpacchio or calamari offering to the list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014The food is excellent. We love the atmosphere. It is an outstanding, intimate restaurant in an unexpected place. It is our go-to for romantic celebrations.Special Features:
- Great food.kcollinsDined on 4/11/2014Food was great. Really liked the appetizers. Good wine and reasonably priced. Chef was willing to chane out a couple things for our child.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new spotMattVIPDined on 4/5/2014We found a great new gem in Encinitas. Great food and outstanding service. Definitely a new spot to hang out with some great winesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Weekend pairing menu waspatriciaDined on 3/29/2014The Weekend pairing menu was fabulous! Food great and wine great!Special Features:
- Dinner good, desserts a total missOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/22/2014We've been coming to Firefly since they opened, have always enjoyed the food and atmosphere. We brought out of town guests for dinner to show off this local gem. Service was attentive as always, and our mains were delicious and well prepared. With great anticipation we ordered 2 desserts for 3 of us - cappuccino creme brulee and gingersnap winter fruit crumble. Sadly, the creme brulee was sent back - it was cold and watery and not very good. The fruit crumble was very dry and the gingersnap crust was too soft. Instead of creme brulee we got a Choco Caramel Shortbread, recommended by our server. Great idea, but the caramel was SO hard you couldn't cut it or chew it! Could have been great but too much caramel made it impossible to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good flavors, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/21/2014We enjoyed our dinner. Menu is not extensive but starters and entree were flavorful. On the pricier side. Service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One word = DELCIOUS!MmmFoodDined on 3/14/2014My husband and I decided to try somewhere different in Encinitas and I remember a friend telling me about this place a while ago. We were both pleasantly surprised! We had the wine and food pairing dinner menu where we got four courses and four tastings. Our first course was the endive salad, second course was the sea bass, third course beef cap, and fourth course was a chocolate mousse. All of the courses were absolutely beautifully presented and the wines were outstanding. I wrote down some of the wines because I want to purchase them for home. Our waiter Jason was attentive and gave me a substitution of the dessert wine because I have a bad reaction to port. Thanks for a wonderful date night!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent findmbdigitalDined on 3/12/2014was surprised to find this restaurant in my neighborhood; in a strip mall that I never ventured in though drove by many times. Food and service suburb. Definitely will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/6/2014Traveling from the Pacific Northwest, we met friends for dinner at Firefly. The staff was friendly and very accommodating to our being a bit early, and to our extended conversation at a prime table in the middle of the dining room. Among us, we had a variety of appetizers and entrees, and all were very nice. The prices were reasonable, and overall, this was an excellent experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful diningLieselleDined on 2/28/2014Once again the experience was amazing! My scallops melted in my mouth while my husband enjoyed the short ribs with a glass of one of their high quality Malbec's. We have recommended this place to many of our friends and business associates. You got to go and see what I mean. You will not be sorry!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's okAimseeDined on 2/28/2014In the middle of Encinitas off El Camino Real.. It's not bad. Surprisingly bigger than what you might expect. Hubby & I went here on a date. The food was decent. Nothing we were really excited about. While I can't put my finger on anything in particular, our experience was just ok. It's not an amazing restaurant that we would be dying to go back to. The waiter was nice & the hostess was sweet. If you're looking for a restaurant that feels more new, interesting, hip, fun.. This isn't it. It's fine for what it is: a nicer than average neighborhood restaurant.
- Wonderful in every way.TMD4VIPDined on 2/22/2014Fantastic in every way, don't miss out on this local gem! Better than the very expensive restaurants in Del Mar and Rancho!!Special Features:
- Just what I was looking for.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/22/2014I wanted a quiet romantic spot. The happy hour menu was amazing. I have Celiac and didn't feel restricted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Biz DinnerGBRODined on 2/20/2014Met with a crew for some business chat. Found out there is WiFi available, and rather than have them wait in thier hotel - we met earlier and enjoyed those killer fries and cocktails outside on the patio with laptops open and pre-meeting review. Jim was great to ask if we might want a table in the back to talk business, and we took him up on that. Nicole was outstanding with both her service and recommendations. One of the Silicon Valley visitors commented that he was eating 'the best steak ever!', and a finicky local gluten-free application engineer was stoked with his accomodation. Our Merryvale Profile '09 was outstanding. Coffee was perfect, no rush, great all around experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with friendsCarlsbadDined on 2/15/2014We've been to Firefly a couple of times and have never been disappointed with the service or food. The short ribs are fabulous - they are tender and just fall of the bone. They're served with mashed potatoes. The salmon is very good too - served with couscous. Our friends liked and said they would definitely come back.Special Features:
- Never Disappointed!winelvrDined on 2/14/2014We always enjoy our dining at this restaurant. The food and the wine are both wonderful, and the presentation beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.