Firefly - DC
1310 New Hampshire Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20036Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Firefly - DC
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.firefly-dc.com/
- Phone: 2028611310x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 10:00am Brunch: Saturday: 9:00am - 2:00pm, Sunday: 9:00am - 2:30pm Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Todd Wiss
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Contact Christina McCarty firstname.lastname@example.org or 202.521.7412 to book an event in one of our two private dining rooms today!
Firefly is also available for restaurant buyouts, accommodating up to 125 guests. Come experience Chef Todd Wiss's seasonal menus in one of our intimate private dining spaces. Whether you're planning a business lunch, rehearsal dinner or birthday party, Firefly is the perfect fit for all types of events.
- Special Events: We are now featuring $2 Mimosas and $2 Bloody Marys with brunch on saturdays from 9am-2pm. Don't forget that we still have Sunday Brunch featuring $2 Mimosas from 10am-2:30pm as well!
- Cross Street: N Street
- Public Transit: Metro: We are closest to the Dupont Circle Metro Stop, which is on the Red Line. Exit via the Q street exit. At street level, walk south on 20th Street for 4 blocks. Make a right. We are just past the orange awning on the right.
We are located on New Hampshire Ave. NW, two blocks south of Dupont Circle, between N and 20th St.
- Parking: Street Parking
A word from Firefly - DC
Firefly, the quintessential urban neighborhood restaurant, offers contemporary American comfort food to the city's many 'regulars' who dine out several times a week. Enjoy favorites like our matzoh ball soup, mini pot roast and a variety of 'Urban Picnics' to share...or not. We also have many seafood and some vegetarian options. The menu is designed to utilize products from our local farms and farmers. Hand-picked to compliment the cuisine, our award-winning wine list shows an affinity for small winemakers and producers and our seasonal specialty cocktail menu offers a bevy of unique libations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Firefly - DC reviews from OpenTable diners
249 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (117)fit for foodies (107)great for brunch (69)great for lunch (54)special occasion (51)good for groups (39)romantic (38)vibrant bar scene (36)hot spot (34)notable wine list (24)kid-friendly (21)late-night find (14)scenic view (10)great for outdoor dining (8)Show More
- Hidden gemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014I was invited to fire fly by way of a surprise. I enjoyed my experience and the food was amazing. I enjoyed the atmosphere and the people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner for twoOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014I brought my father here when he was visiting and we both loved it. Not only were the fall specials hearty and delicious, our server was superb. Yujala (spelling?) is young but very knowledgeable about the food and beverage menu. The bar was very busy that night and the bartender William made us a great fall inspired cocktail. Needless to say both my father and I enjoyed our meal and will probably return when he is in town next.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!TamiDined on 9/27/2014Wonderful neighborhood gem. Staff was excellent, food was marvelous. Best grilled cheese ever!Special Features:
- wonderful food and serviceLouandmDined on 9/26/2014We loved the mini pot roasts! Outstanding service. A lovely eveningSpecial Features:
- Great food, tight spacesWizFanVIPDined on 9/25/2014If you don't mind leaning forward during your conversation you'll be fine. The food is great. Swordfish was just right and my friend loved the risotto. The rhubarb and chocolate desserts were worth the next day's workout. It's packed in the evening, you can't even walk through the bar area, you have to walk around. They've got a good thing going, maybe that's why they don't risk expanding to a bigger space.Special Features:
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/22/2014I came for a business breakfast and loved the open windows to the street. The weather was perfect and blended nicely with the organic interior. Breakfast being breakfast, the food was as expected. The staff were friendly, cheery, and seemed genuinely happy to be there and have us as guests.Special Features:
- I Always get the biscuits and gravyAdamDined on 9/21/2014and this time was disappointed. only two pieces of sausage, a spoonful of gravy, and a pile of potatoes. I usually have Stephanie as my server and she is great; the server we had Sunday afternoon was not Stephanie or even close to her skill level. Enough said.
- Firefly Never DisappointsglutenfreefoodieVIPDined on 9/20/2014I always love dining at Firefly - from dinner, to just drinks, to brunch - they offer a great menu selection (especially for us gluten-free folks) and great service.Special Features:
- Great service meh foodnova78Dined on 9/14/2014After reading so many great reviews I was excited to celebrate a special occasion at Firefly. It's in a charming neighborhood, inside is warm and cozy, hardwood tables very pretty (but wobbly), padded (saggy)bench with pillows to lean on. The hostess and our waiter were so friendly and genuine, that I hate to report that the food disappointed. The dates with blue cheese and bacon were so greasy. The shrimp and grits-lots of shrimp but they were tiny and flavorless, and seemed puddled in water on top of the grits(which were good). Mac and cheese soupy. The ice cream sandwich was frozen solid and the ice cream was really sour clashing with the dark chocolate wafers; the peanut butter/chocolate dessert also frozen to the point of shattering.
- Lovely placeKarinaDined on 9/13/2014Lovely place with good good and service. The acoustics is however awful - very difficult to talk across the table resulting in everyone almost yelling. Very noisy place.Special Features:
- Fun venue, fresh foodJade618Dined on 9/13/2014Visited Firefly with a few friends from high school, a reunion of sorts. Not a ton of offerings, but the salmon/quinoa was delicious, prepared as the chef recommended, medium rare. We ordered truffle parmesean fries and triple mac & cheese for apps and they were perfect for sharing, plus the lightly salted rolls. For dessert, we really enjoyed sharing a couple of their chocolate dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingCleve2uVIPDined on 9/10/2014This used to be one of our favorite spots when visiting DC, but this last visit was a real disappointment. The place was extremely noisy, the food was ordinary. At least our server was friendly and attentive. Not sure if it was a bad night, or indicative of decline. I was particularly irritated by the person who delivered our food. He was gruff and seriously in a hurry. Our entree arrived a second after they picked up our salad plates, making us feel rushed. Hope this turns around, but not sure I will be there to witness future improvements.
- I would go there again!TammyDined on 9/7/2014The food and service were very good! The chicken entree was great! It was moist and the succotash was flavorful. Others in my party raved about their pot roast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sure to pleasewineslayerDined on 9/6/2014I found the restaurants interior architecturally fun, as I liked the various tree forms used to decorate. A recent discovery, I have only been once, but as my meal was, creative, healthy and super delicious, I am sure to return. Service was spot-on.Special Features:
- Amazing brunchNeh91Dined on 9/6/2014Fantastic food and enthusiastic service, we had a wonderful time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favesJuliaz3Dined on 9/5/2014Firefly is one of my favorite restaurants in the city. I've visited many times over the past 10-12 years and the food, wines, and service are consistently good. Firefly is one of those places I can always depend on when I take out of towner guest out to dinner. The location just off Dupont Circle is also very convenient.Special Features:
- Great Location - Modest FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/2/2014My dining companion had the shrimp and grits and seemed to enjoy them; however, I ordered the chicken cobb salad. The chicken was very dry and flavorless. The tomatoes were roasted and drenched in salt and oil rather than fresh. I have dairy intolerance so once I asked that there be no cheese and buttermilk ranch dressing - I was offered a sherry viniagrette - but that, too, was rather flat and flavorless. Sorry to say that although we had excellent service - I would not return to this restaurant based on the food delivered.
- Fun AmbiancedcwinoDined on 9/1/2014I love the urban picnic theme with a tree in the middle of the restaurant. I've been for dinner and brunch and the food is always good.Special Features:
- Amazing Restaurant -- AND +Family!ChristinaHDined on 8/31/2014Firefly is the perfect restaurant to showcase culinary excellence for a night out with friends. We enjoyed a yellow summer tomato gazpacho, creatively deviled eggs, a perfectly cooked salmon over quinoa with roasted eggplant and cucumber dill crème fraiche, grilled bistro steak, roasted chicken with corn succotash, and chocolate pots with salted caramel and other spice. The meal was special for our kids -- YES YOU CAN ACTUALLY BRING THEM -- who got to decorate their own cookies, which were baked while we waited for various courses. They loved the kids' menu, and especially the accommodation to prepare a little swordfish filet with broccolini for a more adventuresome six year old palette. Great ambiance with outside as inside decor. Just go!Special Features:
- Pleasant experienceRicoDined on 8/30/2014A group of us met at noon. This was the first time for all of us. The servers were friendly and knowledgeable. Everyone was very satisfied with their dish as we shared. The deviled eggs were very good and my smoked salmon sandwich was great! We plan to return soon with a different group of foodies. Thanks!Special Features:
- rehearsal dinner fabLinda56Dined on 8/29/2014Ate our 3rd meal at Firefly for our dear friends wedding rehearsal dinner. Would go more but live in FL. They made the dinner fabulous. So proud that I suggested them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the BestAllyDined on 8/29/2014I restaurant would easily make it into my top 5. We started with the deviled eggs, which have a neat caper powder in place of paprika, and which feature a really tasty garlic crisp. They were excellent. For main courses, I had the summer risotto -- one of the better vegetarian dishes I've ever had. The waitress (who was great) recommended the mini pot roast, which my boyfriend had. It was one of the more beautifully plated dishes I've seen, and he cleaned his plate (not a common occurrence). The place is fancy, without being stuffy. Excellent service (we were even comped glasses of champagne). And definitely stop by the bar (which features great craft cocktails, a good single malt scotch collection, and, again, excellent service.Special Features:
- foodie8heartDined on 8/29/2014It's excellent for cocktails and small bites but dinner was abit lacking. Need to freshen up the chairs/upholstery- smelled stale/musky. Waiter was bit pushy. Maybe they should just do tapas and drinks (which they do well), instead of meals...Special Features:
- Nice spot for a light mealFormerFedVIPDined on 8/28/2014I got the Farmer's Salad, Deviled Eggs, and Lamb Rillette and ended with the Cheese Plate. Everything was very tasty, although the salad was heavier on the lettuce than I expected based on its description. The Washington State cabernet-syrah was very tasty. Service was attentive in the initially crowded restaurant.Special Features:
- Can't get enoughOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/28/2014This was my first time at Firefly and it could not have been a more amazing experience. The service from Martin and Cerise was excellent and I never was left waiting for anything. If I needed extra of anything it was taken care of right away. They were both friendly and kind and I would recommend this restaurant to anyone in the DC area especially of they are visiting!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/27/2014Good food but very noisy... wine by the glass was limitedSpecial Features:
- NewfoodieDined on 8/26/2014Good food selection, attentive waiter, a tiny bit noisy but good for a group of 7 to converse. Looked to be a good bar scene and general ambience was fine. Very convenient neighborhood location - would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Stellarrkr1854Dined on 8/24/2014I have dined at Firefly numerous times when in the area on business. The food and service are always excellent. I have seen the place jammed with people having a good time in the evening. I have seen it busy at lunch. This time, I brought my wife, and we ate early on a weeknight. It was quiet and we were able to enjoy a conversation with our meal. I highly recommend Firefly, and I have never had a bad meal here.Special Features:
- Light up the night with FireflyImArealBoyDined on 8/21/2014I took a first date here and it was fantastic. The decor and ambiance immediately gives you something to notice and talk about. Then you see the menu, not a huge variety but a lot of quality food that allows you to be adventurous if you so choose. The staff was super attentive always making sure glasses were full and that we were enjoying our experience. Our waiter was knowledgeable about the food they had to offer and when asked for suggestion didnt immediately point to the most expensive item on the list. The check coming in a mason jar with a light to make it look like a firefly catcher was a clever little way to put the icing on the cake for a great meal at Firefly.Special Features:
- Lunch before PhillipsElsieCAVIPDined on 8/20/2014This was a great find for lunch before a tour of the Phillips Collection. We loved the tree decor, and the food was excellent with reasonable prices. We also left with a granola treat for the next day.Special Features:
- MidwestVisitorDined on 8/19/2014Our dining experience was great; the server was excellent, very accommodatingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ObjectiveReviewerDined on 8/18/2014Atmosphere was nice andfood was good with reasonable choices at restaurant week. My wife was especially pleased. Waiters were very attentive and helpful but not intrusive. It was good to see young people out singly and in groups. Street parking isn't easy. Use parkmobile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/17/2014food is very good, drinks are good, staff is good, all around goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neat neighborhood dining place.mikeDined on 8/16/2014Clean, bright and exceptionable. A great neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerDeclanDined on 8/15/2014This is my third time at Firefly, and I will definitely keep going back. The food is always delicious, but what really makes this restaurant great is the service. The great service at Firefly sets it apart from other restaurants in DC. Thanks for a great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DuPont Curcle gemTwoWorldTravelersDined on 8/15/2014Cozy yet energetic restaurant 2 blocks from DuPont Circle. Food was fabulous (Beet salad / shrimp-n-grits for one, gazpacho / salmon for the other followed by pot-Au-chocolate to share). Service was very attentive. Others have mentioned the noise levels as a problem - we were there in prime time on a Friday night and found it "energetic" but not too loud. People were clearly all having a good time! As for parking, we found a garage open till 11pm 2 blocks down at 2030 M street. $8 all night after 5. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week Summer 2014KomalDDined on 8/15/2014I love going to those restaurants during restaurant week that have great options off their regular menu. This restaurant hit the mark - had their best sellers on the menu and between the 4 of us in the party we all chose different foods to try. It was a great experience from the hostess to the server and especially the food - we were even able to hit the happy hour menu at the bar before we were seated. I will definitely be going back!Special Features:
- Nice place for dinner!EastCoastEva29Dined on 8/15/2014My husband , daughter and I had delicious dinners eating al fresco. We were pleased with our service from our waitress, Nicole. we will certainly come back here on our next visit! Highly recommended!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceBrandonDined on 8/13/2014My wife and I really enjoyed ourselves. Great atmosphere and our waiter was incredibly attentive. I think it's over priced for the portion you get but the food was very tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2/3 of us were happyMangiaBeneVIPDined on 8/13/2014My mother and I took a visiting relative there for dinner during Restaurant Week. We had been there before but it seemed a reasonable place to go, not knowing the visitor's taste or palate. She enjoyed her meal as did I but there were a couple of wrong notes for my mother. She asked the server if the mussels could be made without tasso ham. She was told yes but the dish came out with ham, something my mother didn't discover until she bit into a piece of it. It came back without ham but, as was apparently the case the first time, it really wasn't cooked in a rich stock, or buttery-winy broth but something my mother described as "basically onions in water." That was disappointing and the first time she's had a bad experience there.Special Features: