Firefly - DC
1310 New Hampshire Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20036Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Firefly - DC
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.firefly-dc.com/
- Phone: (202) 861-1310
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 10:00am Brunch: Saturday: 9:00am - 2:00pm, Sunday: 9:00am - 2:30pm Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Todd Wiss
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Contact Christina McCarty firstname.lastname@example.org or 202.521.7412 to book an event in one of our two private dining rooms today!
Firefly is also available for restaurant buyouts, accommodating up to 125 guests. Come experience Chef Todd Wiss's seasonal menus in one of our intimate private dining spaces. Whether you're planning a business lunch, rehearsal dinner or birthday party, Firefly is the perfect fit for all types of events.
- Special Events: We are now featuring $2 Mimosas and $2 Bloody Marys with brunch on saturdays from 9am-2pm. Don't forget that we still have Sunday Brunch featuring $2 Mimosas from 10am-2:30pm as well!
- Cross Street: N Street
- Public Transit: Metro: We are closest to the Dupont Circle Metro Stop, which is on the Red Line. Exit via the Q street exit. At street level, walk south on 20th Street for 4 blocks. Make a right. We are just past the orange awning on the right.
We are located on New Hampshire Ave. NW, two blocks south of Dupont Circle, between N and 20th St.
- Parking: Street Parking
A word from Firefly - DC
Firefly, the quintessential urban neighborhood restaurant, offers contemporary American comfort food to the city's many 'regulars' who dine out several times a week. Enjoy favorites like our matzoh ball soup, mini pot roast and a variety of 'Urban Picnics' to share...or not. We also have many seafood and some vegetarian options. The menu is designed to utilize products from our local farms and farmers. Hand-picked to compliment the cuisine, our award-winning wine list shows an affinity for small winemakers and producers and our seasonal specialty cocktail menu offers a bevy of unique libations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Firefly - DC reviews from OpenTable diners
249 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (130)fit for foodies (114)great for brunch (66)special occasion (56)great for lunch (55)romantic (40)good for groups (39)hot spot (35)vibrant bar scene (28)notable wine list (23)kid-friendly (15)late-night find (14)scenic view (8)great for outdoor dining (8)Show More
- Post-Redskins diningFormerFedVIPDined on 11/23/2014Dropped in for snacks after watching the Redskins lose again. She got the Devils on Horseback (bacon-wrapped dates) and mussels. Both were very tasty. I had the Deviled Eggs and a side of Red Quinoa, which I'd been meaning to try for a while. Again, both were tasty. Service by Martin was friendly and attentive. We were seated at a table overlooking New Hampshire Avenue, so could see the rain start.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If You like an Experimental ChefOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/23/2014If you like an experimental chef who obviously knows how to cook good food but seems to me to lack a sense of what goes well together and how to put it on the table, this is the place for you. The steak tartar, while delicious was served only with potato chips. When I asked for thin slices of toast to have the steak tartar on, a special staff person was sent over to explain to me that the Chef was trying to give us a different experience by eating the steak tartar on potato chips. Nonetheless, I was slowly and reluctantly brought three partially burned, thick toasted slices of baguette. The dessert, a honey crisp ice cream sandwich between to triangle of dense chocolate cake, was served with parsley on it. Although the chocolate cake was very good, the ice cream barely tasted of anything beyond vanilla ice cream and the dessert was so frozen that you couldn't cut it up with the spoon they served it with. You could hear people clunking spoons against plates through out the restaurant as people tried to eat it. After nearly knocking my water glass off the table when the sandwich resisted being cut with the spoon and jumped off the plate for a second time, I asked for a knife and even that had trouble going thought the solidly frozen confection. The restaurant itself is attached to a hotel and caters to families and guests of the hotel as well as the outsiders who have heard that it is a good restaurant with a good chef. It has a noisy but cute front room and a less interesting but quiet back room.Special Features:
- Delicious moussaka!GFgirlVIPDined on 11/19/2014This restaurant has a great gluten-free menu with a variety of foods you may not find elsewhere. I had the moussaka and it was fantastic! Definitely would recommend this to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall Amazing ExperienceJP40Dined on 11/15/2014My sister and I had both been to Firefly once previously and loved the food. We asked our server for a number of recommendations and he did not steer us wrong once. They do seasonal food items, so the menu is always changing. I can't say enough wonderful things about our meals. The deviled eggs and mac and cheese fritters where delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud group spoiled lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/13/2014I've eaten here before & always enjoyed it but this time a large, rather loud group was seated behind me & it was extremely difficult to carry on a conversation with my table-mates. Ended up shouting until the group left to go back to work. Ability to converse with my 2 friends in a quiet place was not possible given the low ceiling, proximity to the group & lack of regard for other diners. (I had even specifically requested a "quiet table"). Recommend groups be seated apart from other diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love the relaxed feel of this place!Luv2dineDined on 11/12/2014Great location to Dupont Metro. Loved the food, service and ambiance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good locationEvnstnOneVIPDined on 11/11/2014Easy location for breakfast/brunch from our DuPont Circle hotel. A but skimpy on the portions for the price. But food was pretty good.
- Great food but ok service.FedGovEngineerDined on 11/8/2014Reservation was at 9pm. We got there at 8:45pm. Still had to wait until 9:20pm to be seated. We had to wait in the bar were service was slow and drinks were ok. After telling the host we had to wait a long time after 9pm to be seated, he was nice and gave us two glasses of champagne. Food was great and from that point on, the waiter was corteous and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall, I recommend itOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/6/2014Creative, well-prepared food,; good location; very pleasant service; attractive décor. The downsides were (1) high noise level--not a great place for a conversation. (2) the wines were not particularly good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but a bit loudHangaDined on 11/5/2014Our service was excellent and the food first rate but as the restaurant became full and they had to close the doors to the outside, it became very loud. They need some noise absorbing ceiling tiles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/3/2014I had a friend visiting with a work group and staying in Gtown...the most convenient place to meet was near DuPont Circle so we selected Firefly as the place to have dinner. 2 hours later we had reminisced over great food & wine and promised to meet here again.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere! Wonderful staff!CandiceDined on 11/2/2014Went here for my anniversary and the staff made it super special. The atmosphere was romantic and quaint. My fiancé and I felt special and the food was superb. Would definitely recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little Tree with your Toast?ArlingtonFoodieDined on 11/2/2014Brought my visiting parents in for brunch, was quiet upon arrival, but quickly filled with locals and hotel guests. The décor is charming, the service swift and friendly, and the food was great! We had an omelets, breakfast tacos, shrimp and grits. The omelet was very fluffy and savory. The tacos were topped with a freshly made guacamole with finely minced jalapenos - a perfect compliment to the eggs and chorizo. I will go back just to eat the shrimp and grits. Coarsely ground, buttery grits with a generous pile of tender, tiny shrimp, and a fragrant taste of rosemary. The side of potatoes with the tacos and omelet were passable, but could have been kicked up a notch with herbs or sea salt.Special Features:
- FireflyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/1/2014Loved the decor. Service was good. Servers were polite. Food portions were small but filling and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placebeezkneezDined on 10/29/2014Firefly is a true gem. Food is phenomenal, service and waitstaff are attentive to detail, knowledgeable, and friendly. Great for a special night out.Special Features:
- Amazing foodWinedineDined on 10/27/2014We went to Firefly on a recommendation, and it didn't disappoint! We started at the bar for some cocktails which were very good then headed to our table for dinner. The food was amazing! Between our group we had the pot roast; 2 steaks and the trout. All really enjoyed! For dessert three of us had the pumpkin cobbler which was so good! Would highly recommend. It's not cheap but well worth it.Special Features:
- nice lunch spotfoodluverDined on 10/27/2014Food was good +- not overwhelmingly great, but met our needs for vegetarian or pescatarian lunch entrees. Service was excellent. Only real problem was that the coffee was tepid.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Neighborhood RestaurantFoodandWinoDined on 10/26/2014Nice neighborhood place. Good, reasonably priced wine list. Interesting menu. Well prepared food. Nice room. Friendly, professional service. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food, not so great servicemrp0511Dined on 10/26/2014My two friends and I had brunch here around 1:30 on a Sunday, and it was relatively full but not too crowded. The food was good, though a bit pricey for what you get (both size and quality of the dishes), but the service was really lackluster. I waited almost 30 minutes to get a refill on my tea at one point, and the place was hardly half full by then.Special Features:
- Great Brunch!DCVegetarianFoodieVIPDined on 10/26/2014Yet another delightful brunch! My friends and I got multiple carafes of mimosas. We only wish that there was a carafe option for Bloody Marys as our friend ordered 5 of those. The food was amazing, as always -- had the french toast, others had the crispy pork belly, the biscuits and gravy with a side of grits, and the omelette. They opened the front windows so there was a good breeze. The atmosphere was perfect as well. Will definitely keep returning.Special Features:
- Solid Deal for Good DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Great service, food was interesting and tasty, interior decorating was really cool. Very small and intimate inside. Lunch was maybe too noisy/energetic for a quiet, romantic date, but dinner may be different. Not in a bad way just saying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Local restaurantCuncinaManDined on 10/22/2014This was a discovery for us. Charming ambiance with terrific service and generally friendly atmosphere. It can get noisy during peak times, but it doesn't seem to matter. The food is inventive and comforting at the same time. Go!Special Features:
- Very SlowajfoodieDined on 10/19/2014It was Sunday brunch and the place was fairly full, but everything was moving in slow motion there. It took the waitress forever to take our order, and then nearly 45 minutes for our food to arrive, and there was never an explanation or apology for the delay. At one point the air conditioning got turned on and it became freezing. As soon as the manager was notified he fixed it, and brought us free mimosas, which was very nice.
- DeliciousKGoodDined on 10/18/2014This place was fantastic and the food was sooo good. I will for sure be back again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dining experienceJoeyDined on 10/17/2014A favorite of ours when we are in Washington DC. The food is excellent, new choices plus some old favorites that never disappoint.Special Features:
- Just a great lunch meeting, but...justareviewDined on 10/16/2014The noise level at my table was ridiculously loud!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food, so-so serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014I ended up ordering the burger and it was probably the best choice I've made all week. It was absolutely amazing, no complaints at all with the food. The service however was lacking. It was really loud when we arrived which was surprising since it was a Wednesday night around 9 pm and they have a few open tables. Our server took his time in getting to us, in taking our orders, in bringing over the bread, etc. I was grateful that he didn't hover but it was a but my friends and I commented several times throughout the night on how slow he was. Food took it's time getting to the table but it was worth the wait.Special Features:
- Great SetviceCybercloverDined on 10/12/2014The service was great. Our server was very knowledgable about the menu items and very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable and relaxingBVRDCDined on 10/12/2014I choose Firefly for brunch with a friend I hadnt seen in 18 years. It was a great spot, wonderful service and ambiance. Brunch menu was extensive and great. The grits were the best I've had in a long time.Special Features:
- WhitewashWordsDined on 10/11/2014You will not find a better pot roast! No knife needed, rich in flavor, topped with mashed potatoes , and perfect little carrots! This place could have easily ripped to a best place to eat in DC, but the noise level made conversation very hard. But, don't let that dissuade you for discovering this little gem, perhaps just pass on the Saturday night. And, by all means, if you want a bit of comfort food, and it's a Saturday night, by all means - forget the conversation and savor the flavors!Special Features:
- Excellent Food - Terrible ServiceTOPDCDinerVIPDined on 10/10/2014Waiting 45 minutes beyond our reservation time we were finally seated only to have to wait another 20 minute for our waiter and our complimentary round of drinks offered by management. Since we had ordered appetizers at the bar and had a bottle of wine between the three of us, we really did not want another drink. We each ordered either another appetizer or salad; all of the food was excellent. Just a note; while waiting in the lounge, another group basically walked out after having waited to long for their drink order. One of the bartenders was plain rude and our waiter was terrible. Too bad the service is so awful because the kitchen is turning out some great food. Try the oysters; if you don't mind terrible service.
- Much too noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/9/2014Good food. Wine list is quite decent. Mixed drinks are weak and the restaurant is a place to eat in silence.
- Great staff and good foodjeanbeanDined on 10/7/2014Went on a Tuesday evening to this restaurant and since we were early, we sat at the bar and enjoyed their happy hour drink specials - which were excellent. If for nothing else, we would return for their happy hour! Our party of three was seated in the rear, which was good for us since it allowed us to converse without too much difficulty. The noise level overall is a little too high for our taste and it was definitely noisier in the front. Our wait staff was knowledgeable and attentive but not obtrusive. The swordfish special was well prepared, and my husband was very happy with the mini pot roast. The baby kale and beet salad was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go!amsavaVIPDined on 10/5/2014I chose this restaurant because there were a lot of gluten-free options. Not so many for strict vegetarians tho enough choice. We all loved our main courses. 3 had trout which was superb. The leek eggplant "lasagna" was also pronounced quite good.Special Features:
- Nice spotdrebbieDined on 10/5/2014I took a chance in booking Firefly I didn't know what to except but the atmosphere and the food did not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch LocationMuddyMomDined on 10/5/2014We went to Firefly for a girls brunch on Sunday morning to celebrate a couple of bdays. the restaurant is so cute, with the tree in the middle of it. The food was delicious..really hard to make up your mind on what to order, because it all looks so good. BEST bread "basket" with soft salted rolls, to die-for moist lemon bread and scrumptios pumpkin bread. We orders french toast, biscuits and gravy, kale and eggs, shrimp and grits and some other grits dish. All were delish, but the shrimp and grits were a little runny. Portions are good. They brought out complementary mimosas to help celebrate the bday girls. and finally, the check comes out in a lit mason jar with holes in the top to mimic "fireflies". Very cute!!Special Features:
- Great SpotnatS123Dined on 10/4/2014I went to Firefly this Saturday night and it was a great experience. The ambience was warm and inviting, the service was great, and the food was fantastic. We had the mussels, cheese and charcuterie board, and mac and cheese fritters for appetizers which were all delicious. For my entree I tried the trout, served with sweet potato polenta, swiss chard, and almonds which I would highly recommend. The other person in my party had the roasted chicken which was also delicious. If you are looking for a modern take on classic dishes and a fun atmosphere, then you can't go wrong with Firefly.Special Features:
- Fantastic!dcdinerDined on 10/3/2014We took our teenaged son over the weekend. Loved the food; everything we ordered was terrific. My son said their burger was the best burger he'd ever had. Their truffle fries disappeared quickly. The service was outstanding; they made a special effort to move us to a different table upon request (our first table was in a colder, quieter part of the restaurant.) Will definitely come back.Special Features:
- Great PlaceDino758Dined on 10/3/2014I have been to Firefly many times when I am in DC and I have never been disappointed. Great food, excellent service, but can be a little loud. On my last visit I was told that they are going to be adding some sound proofing materials which should help.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemFoodlover1989Dined on 9/28/2014I was invited to fire fly by way of a surprise. I enjoyed my experience and the food was amazing. I enjoyed the atmosphere and the people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.