Firefly - DC
1310 New Hampshire Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20036Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Firefly - DC
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.firefly-dc.com/
- Phone: (202) 861-1310
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 10:00am Brunch: Saturday: 9:00am - 2:00pm, Sunday: 9:00am - 2:30pm Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Todd Wiss
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Contact Christina McCarty firstname.lastname@example.org or 202.521.7412 to book an event in one of our two private dining rooms today!
Firefly is also available for restaurant buyouts, accommodating up to 125 guests. Come experience Chef Todd Wiss's seasonal menus in one of our intimate private dining spaces. Whether you're planning a business lunch, rehearsal dinner or birthday party, Firefly is the perfect fit for all types of events.
- Special Events: We are now featuring $2 Mimosas and $2 Bloody Marys with brunch on saturdays from 9am-2pm. Don't forget that we still have Sunday Brunch featuring $2 Mimosas from 10am-2:30pm as well!
- Cross Street: N Street
- Public Transit: Metro: We are closest to the Dupont Circle Metro Stop, which is on the Red Line. Exit via the Q street exit. At street level, walk south on 20th Street for 4 blocks. Make a right. We are just past the orange awning on the right.
We are located on New Hampshire Ave. NW, two blocks south of Dupont Circle, between N and 20th St.
- Parking: Street Parking
A word from Firefly - DC
Firefly, the quintessential urban neighborhood restaurant, offers contemporary American comfort food to the city's many 'regulars' who dine out several times a week. Enjoy favorites like our matzoh ball soup, mini pot roast and a variety of 'Urban Picnics' to share...or not. We also have many seafood and some vegetarian options. The menu is designed to utilize products from our local farms and farmers. Hand-picked to compliment the cuisine, our award-winning wine list shows an affinity for small winemakers and producers and our seasonal specialty cocktail menu offers a bevy of unique libations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Firefly - DC reviews from OpenTable diners
243 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (127)fit for foodies (114)great for brunch (64)special occasion (58)great for lunch (56)romantic (42)hot spot (37)good for groups (37)vibrant bar scene (28)notable wine list (24)kid-friendly (14)late-night find (14)scenic view (9)great for outdoor dining (7)Show More
- Great Find!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014Went here for restaurant week and was very happy with this decision. Not only is the food fantastic, but the service was outstanding. Definitely coming back. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What Happened?KBmanVIPDined on 8/12/2014I have been a fan of Firefly for a long time until this visit. The service was attentive but the food is not up to their usual standards. We tried the lunch restaurant week menu. It offered nothing new and basically was a slimmed down version of their excellent lunch choices. The only difference I could discern was that they offered desserts. The desserts were not worth it. The salty caramel chocolate pot de creme was a confusion of tastes not a blend. The cheese plate offered a molecular sized portion of cheese that I hoped would enthrall but instead disappointed. Service was good with a few rough edges but the service should complement and not be the highlight.Special Features:
- first timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/10/2014We just moved our daughter into the Apolline condos. We were hungry and tired. Sat down and had a great dinner and relaxing atmosphere. Nice to know that we will have a great to go every time we visit and a place my daughter can take her company. Thank-youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointment on second visitCityprofVIPDined on 8/10/2014We had a very good dinner here in June; our most recent visit was a disappointment. First courses were fine (not outstanding). One main course, the moussaka, verged on inedible: a brown slab covered in thick goo ("gravy"). The salmon was skin-on and the skin was burned, placed on a bed of quinoa laden with harissa (unpleasant). Perhaps just a Sunday night off, but we won't be back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014Very nice dinner. Loud small kids in back room. Pot roast was great. Very interesting salads. Parking in neighborhood difficult.Special Features:
- Can't Wait to Go Again!SueSDCDined on 8/8/2014Firefly is such a unique dining experience from the tree in the middle to the check delivery one really feels like they are in a forest. This menu is very creative, healthy and unique. I tried the deviled eggs and fried mac and cheese and will be back soon to try the bacon wrapped dates. My pot roast melted off the bone and my moms's steak was exactly how she likes it. The service was top notch I always felt that someone was only a moment away from having a big smile and desire to help me. Everyone working there truly seemed to enjoy working there and has an enormous amount of price.Special Features:
- American food with a twistMathCowboyDined on 8/7/2014My date and I were visiting DC and made reservations after noticing that they have a gluten free menu. She needs GF foods. The server was knowledgeable about GF options on the menu and brought out a separate GF menu. Her mussels were brought out in a pile on a plate, and she said that they were delicious. The parmesan fries were pretty good, too. I got the steak caesar salad with avocado. It paired well with the complimentary white bread rolls. It was just the right amount for lunch since I did not have a large appetite that day. Our check came out in a small glass jar with a candle inside to look like there was a firefly in there. How cute!Special Features:
- Great food, quite loudAlexisVIPDined on 8/3/2014Food and service were both great! Noise level is loud, and can be difficult to hear others at your table.Special Features:
- Cutest Spot for BrunchJmarmolinaVIPDined on 8/3/2014Firefly is always a good spot for brunch with my girl friends, they have a great mimosa carafe deal, just not bottomless. The decor of Firefly is really chic / cute. We sat by the big tree in the middle of the dining room and just for the novelty of it enjoyed it. Servers are always friendly, but sometimes drink orders seem to be a little slow (might be the bar though!) Food is YUMMY. Got the breakfast tacos on my first visit and it's a great portion, then opted for Lemon Ricotta Pancakes on my most recent visit. Pancakes were okay, just seemed like small pancakes with a hint of lemon, barely one cut up strawberry on top. Wouldn't get them again, but I love the little bread buckets they have during lunch, the pound cake is delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great, filling foodrambo5980Dined on 8/2/2014Food was delicious and our server was very friendly. Couldn't finish the food because it was so filling. $4 bloody Mary was surprisingly greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food. Extremely loud.JMT0000Dined on 8/1/2014Probably the best meal I've had in months. Excellent ingredients, filling portions, flavors that are both classic and surprising.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion Comfort FoodhiyymereatsDined on 8/1/2014This is a very popular bar scene. We were there on a Friday night and had a wonderful meal. The main dining room is decorated in a pleasing and unique way; you almost feel as though you're dining al fresco. There is an additional, inner dining room with a more traditional decor. We enjoyed excellent signature cocktails followed by an very nice Pinot Noir with "Devils on Horseback" for starters. The roasted Beet & Quinoa salad was delicious. We shared the fish special (Salmon) for our entree along with a side of grilled Broccoli Rabe. Don't skip dessert! Overall excellent customer service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great appertizersLizaDined on 7/31/2014Amazing appetizers, we got only sides and starters but everything was great. the beer selection was lacking but we were also the last in the restaurant. would definitely go back to explore more options. the decor is fun and beautiful! Firefly is perfect for a group get togethers - easily accessible and quick serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming business lunchjessieDined on 7/29/2014My first but not last experience for business lunch -- very attentive server, great location and wonderful food. It is a vibrant place but also quiet and suitable for portant discussion with colleague. I could also see a completely fun lunch or dinner here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic findOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/27/2014I randomly chose Firefly as a brunch spot from Yelp, and MAN! What a find! The hostesses were really great about confirming our reservation, and accommodated us when we ran a few minutes late. We only waited maybe 2 minutes for our table, and even though we got what could be called the worst table in the place (behind the only wall in the whole restaurant with no view of anything) we STILL had a great time. The food was amazeballs (I had the grilles cheese with tomato and bacon with parmesan truffle fries. And a pineapple mimosa.) And our server Joe was both knowledgeable and super friendly. Kasey the Mgr stopped by and introduced herself, and she was super cool too. I thought the bar lights were totally cute! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming!yummmDined on 7/26/2014Firefly is a chraming spot off of the busy block of Dupont circle! The breakfast burrito was AMAZING and the french toast was delicious! Definitely reccomend for a brunch spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedHappy2eatoutVIPDined on 7/25/2014Let's start by saying we were visiting from NYC and ended up here because the kimptongroup sister restaurant Urbana in the Palomar Hotel was under renovation. It was highly recommended by the Palomar. Apps- Bacon and blue cheese wrapped dates -tasty Liver pate - fair, not memorable Entrees The Lamb dish we ordered had pappardelle noodles and feta it was different and tasty but salty. We also had salmon with quinoa The salmon was well prepared but the quinoa had little seasoning We also ordered succotash as a side which didnt come out till 1/2 way thru our meal and was basically corn off the cob with some veggies mixed in Our 2nd round of drinks arrived when we were almost done with dinner before they arrived.
- The following 2321 reviews are from the Firefly - DC reviews archive.
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/22/2014Cool ambience and delicious food. Would definitely go again if the proper occasion arises. Good for individuals and large groups.Special Features:
- RushedFoodie5Dined on 7/20/2014I went to brunch at firefly ready to spend a while with a friend taking advantage of their $3 mimosas. However, our server completely rushed us through our meal. Additionally, the food was cold and slightly congealed and did not seem to have been made for us, but seemed to have been pre cooked and only put on a plate when we ordered it. Firefly has the potential to be a great brunch spot but right now is more of a factory. By the time we left the place was cleared out so no one was rushing to take our table and they definitely would have made more money off of us if we hadn't felt so rushed!
- Jose the food runnerToRileyDined on 7/19/2014Jose the food runner is awesome. He was very attentive to the needs of my mother and me. :)Special Features:
- Very niceIamJavoneDined on 7/19/2014This restaurant is very nice. The food was amazing. The service was great. The only downside is that after 2:00pm on Sat for brunch the kitchen does not open again until 5:00pm for dinner. So if you arrive after 2:00pm, you will not be serviced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CeciliaDined on 7/16/2014We had a good time, but the food was a bit too...sophisticated....for us, though tasty. The noise level was the only true detriment.Special Features:
- Great place!ApoTheManDined on 7/14/2014I reserved a table for our business partner and myself, based on the location and very good reviews. The list of full of comfort food made in a bistro style. Great food. What was even better was the outstanding service we experienced. Ended up leaving very large tip for him.Special Features:
- Excellent in Most WaysJeffVIPDined on 7/11/2014We thoroughly enjoyed the specialty drinks, and the entrees. The service was great, and we like the ambiance. This night there was a low level but noticeable odor, like mildew combined with cleaning fluid from the carpet that caught both of our noses, and the waitress also noticed it when we mentioned it. Assuming this was a rare occasion and the result of unfortunate cleaning, we would go back because the food was so unique and good.Special Features:
- Way WAY too noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/6/2014I've been to Firefly several times. This might have been the last. All tables were screaming to be heard. Service was snail-like. Not an enjoyable meal.
- eat2live55Dined on 7/5/2014The ambience with the front doors open on a pleasant July evening was lovely, and with the "tree" and trunks, provided an "al fresco" feel. Service was very good, but not particularly attentive. I had asked for some type of birthday recognition for one in our party, but none was forthcoming. The food was very good and we ate every bite, but for the price, nothing provided the "wow" factor for me or anyone in my party of 6. So, we passed on dessert, which may have been why we got no birthday recognition. For the price, I would not return, but go to any of a number of other really fantastic restaurants in the DC area.Special Features:
- Delicious Brunch, Drink SpecialsduanesteDined on 7/5/2014Firefly is very cool little restaurant a short walk from Dupont Circle. The interior is cozy and inviting, decorated with a lot of natural elements and motifs including a large branching tree trunk in the center. We met there for Brunch and enjoyed delicious Mimosas and homemade Bloody Marys. We had the Breakfast Tacos, Kale & Eggs, and Eggs Benedict and they were all expertly prepared with high-quality ingredients. The staff was knowledgeable, attentive, and friendly. I will definitely be back the next time I'm in DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little bit deceivingMyriamDined on 7/2/2014As tourists, we followed the recommandation of the Washington Post for this restaurant. One of the thing the kids would look for was the cookie they could decorate themselves. When we walked in, we liked the ambiance, but we were seated in the back room, which is quieter, but with no decoration. I had the Chicken matzoh ball soup, as it was recommended. It was absolutely tasteless. The rest of our choices were all just ok. I had the moussaka, my husband had the Deviled eggs, and the Mac and cheese, nothing that distinguish itself from other places. For the kid's menu, it was also just ok. But my son had a severe allergic reaction to the cookie... Even if I asked numerous times, it seems that these produces were not certified Nuts free...Special Features:
- Noisy, warm and slowSoBe123Dined on 7/1/2014We loved Firefly on our first two visits, but this one was not so good. On a hot evening, the AC did not cool down the interior. Food service was uneven, with some at our party of four receiving food and one sitting with nothing except bread for an hour and a half. The noise level made conversation difficult.Special Features:
- natenateDined on 6/30/2014tasty delightful, friendly savers and grate bar menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and Winetanisha1Dined on 6/30/2014As always what can I say this place is great? Everyone is wonderful from beginning to the end. People remember who you are with a smile. It's a short distance from my job and easy to get too. Great job Firefly. ThanksSpecial Features:
- Amazing food + a unique atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014This was our first trip to Firefly and it began with an excellent wine recommendation by our server. Followed by a few choice appetizers. The mac and cheese side is a must! The shrimp and grits were incredible, and I don't even like grits. What ever sauce was served with the grilled swordfish was perfect. The atmosphere of the entire restaurant was unique and very laid back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food....Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014We will definitely return. Casual but elegant, located in Dupont Circle. Food, ambiance, and service were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth going.NoNicknameVIPDined on 6/27/2014First time at Firefly. It's worth trying. Very lively. Good cocktails. Very good service who split portions for us - nice touch. Food was plentiful and worked out well, but not over-the-top excellent. We won't become regulars, but it was a nice Experience. We had beet and goat cheese salad (the goat cheese a bit too smoky); mussels; and the lamb shoulder pappardelle (feta cheese distracts).
- CharmingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/27/2014Delicious food, outstanding service. Perfect for our small group of ladies enjoying a special evening out in the Dupont Circle area.Special Features:
- CreativesoVeryWiseDined on 6/27/2014The food was creative, tasty, and reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Great Food, Great ValueSF2DCDinerVIPDined on 6/23/2014Hotel fare can sometimes disappoint, but Firefly lives up to the high standards that I have experienced at Kimpton hotels throughout the country. The hamburger luncheon was a great value at $14 for a thick and juicy beef patty and perfect french fries. The parker house rolls are irresistible so I turned them into a guilt-free "dessert." Their house made lemonade is not for those seeking a highly sweetened drink as they allow the tangy tartness of fresh lemons to stand on its own. Stephanie is an absolutely outstanding server, so I hesitate to recommend her lest I not get one of her tables on my next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unbelievably good.EdwardDined on 6/22/2014Was in DC for the week with my family and I can honestly say this is one of the best restaurants I have ever been to. I had the salmon dinner which was served with spinach and brown eyed peas and a cajun spicy sauce. It was one of the best meals I've had. The waitress was awesome, friendly, and very attractive to boot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Brunchluv2eatVIPDined on 6/22/2014We stopped for Sunday brunch with our friend from NYC. The food was good brunch food with ample selections to choose. The service was adequate and the location was convenient for us coming from St. Matthew's Cathedral.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect find!MAGSDined on 6/21/2014Great food, great service, great location! Desserts were fabulous which was the purpose of our late night dining. The staff was super friendly and very patient with our group of six. Would definitely recommend and I will go back when I want to dine in that area.Special Features: