Firefly - DC
1310 New Hampshire Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20036Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Firefly - DC
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.firefly-dc.com/
- Phone: 2028611310x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 10:00am Brunch: Saturday: 9:00am - 2:00pm, Sunday: 9:00am - 2:30pm Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Todd Wiss
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Contact Christina McCarty email@example.com or 202.521.7412 to book an event in one of our two private dining rooms today!
Firefly is also available for restaurant buyouts, accommodating up to 125 guests. Come experience Chef Todd Wiss's seasonal menus in one of our intimate private dining spaces. Whether you're planning a business lunch, rehearsal dinner or birthday party, Firefly is the perfect fit for all types of events.
- Special Events: We are now featuring $2 Mimosas and $2 Bloody Marys with brunch on saturdays from 9am-2pm. Don't forget that we still have Sunday Brunch featuring $2 Mimosas from 10am-2:30pm as well!
- Cross Street: N Street
- Public Transit: Metro: We are closest to the Dupont Circle Metro Stop, which is on the Red Line. Exit via the Q street exit. At street level, walk south on 20th Street for 4 blocks. Make a right. We are just past the orange awning on the right.
We are located on New Hampshire Ave. NW, two blocks south of Dupont Circle, between N and 20th St.
- Parking: Street Parking
A word from Firefly - DC
Firefly, the quintessential urban neighborhood restaurant, offers contemporary American comfort food to the city's many 'regulars' who dine out several times a week. Enjoy favorites like our matzoh ball soup, mini pot roast and a variety of 'Urban Picnics' to share...or not. We also have many seafood and some vegetarian options. The menu is designed to utilize products from our local farms and farmers. Hand-picked to compliment the cuisine, our award-winning wine list shows an affinity for small winemakers and producers and our seasonal specialty cocktail menu offers a bevy of unique libations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Firefly - DC reviews from OpenTable diners
241 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (117)fit for foodies (112)great for brunch (61)special occasion (50)great for lunch (47)romantic (37)good for groups (37)hot spot (35)vibrant bar scene (30)notable wine list (26)kid-friendly (17)late-night find (11)scenic view (10)great for outdoor dining (8)Show More
- Just a great lunch meeting, but...justareviewDined on 10/16/2014The noise level at my table was ridiculously loud!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food, so-so serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014I ended up ordering the burger and it was probably the best choice I've made all week. It was absolutely amazing, no complaints at all with the food. The service however was lacking. It was really loud when we arrived which was surprising since it was a Wednesday night around 9 pm and they have a few open tables. Our server took his time in getting to us, in taking our orders, in bringing over the bread, etc. I was grateful that he didn't hover but it was a but my friends and I commented several times throughout the night on how slow he was. Food took it's time getting to the table but it was worth the wait.Special Features:
- Great SetviceCybercloverDined on 10/12/2014The service was great. Our server was very knowledgable about the menu items and very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable and relaxingBVRDCDined on 10/12/2014I choose Firefly for brunch with a friend I hadnt seen in 18 years. It was a great spot, wonderful service and ambiance. Brunch menu was extensive and great. The grits were the best I've had in a long time.Special Features:
- WhitewashWordsDined on 10/11/2014You will not find a better pot roast! No knife needed, rich in flavor, topped with mashed potatoes , and perfect little carrots! This place could have easily ripped to a best place to eat in DC, but the noise level made conversation very hard. But, don't let that dissuade you for discovering this little gem, perhaps just pass on the Saturday night. And, by all means, if you want a bit of comfort food, and it's a Saturday night, by all means - forget the conversation and savor the flavors!Special Features:
- Excellent Food - Terrible ServiceTOPDCDinerVIPDined on 10/10/2014Waiting 45 minutes beyond our reservation time we were finally seated only to have to wait another 20 minute for our waiter and our complimentary round of drinks offered by management. Since we had ordered appetizers at the bar and had a bottle of wine between the three of us, we really did not want another drink. We each ordered either another appetizer or salad; all of the food was excellent. Just a note; while waiting in the lounge, another group basically walked out after having waited to long for their drink order. One of the bartenders was plain rude and our waiter was terrible. Too bad the service is so awful because the kitchen is turning out some great food. Try the oysters; if you don't mind terrible service.
- Much too noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/9/2014Good food. Wine list is quite decent. Mixed drinks are weak and the restaurant is a place to eat in silence.
- Great staff and good foodjeanbeanDined on 10/7/2014Went on a Tuesday evening to this restaurant and since we were early, we sat at the bar and enjoyed their happy hour drink specials - which were excellent. If for nothing else, we would return for their happy hour! Our party of three was seated in the rear, which was good for us since it allowed us to converse without too much difficulty. The noise level overall is a little too high for our taste and it was definitely noisier in the front. Our wait staff was knowledgeable and attentive but not obtrusive. The swordfish special was well prepared, and my husband was very happy with the mini pot roast. The baby kale and beet salad was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go!amsavaVIPDined on 10/5/2014I chose this restaurant because there were a lot of gluten-free options. Not so many for strict vegetarians tho enough choice. We all loved our main courses. 3 had trout which was superb. The leek eggplant "lasagna" was also pronounced quite good.Special Features:
- Nice spotdrebbieDined on 10/5/2014I took a chance in booking Firefly I didn't know what to except but the atmosphere and the food did not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch LocationMuddyMomDined on 10/5/2014We went to Firefly for a girls brunch on Sunday morning to celebrate a couple of bdays. the restaurant is so cute, with the tree in the middle of it. The food was delicious..really hard to make up your mind on what to order, because it all looks so good. BEST bread "basket" with soft salted rolls, to die-for moist lemon bread and scrumptios pumpkin bread. We orders french toast, biscuits and gravy, kale and eggs, shrimp and grits and some other grits dish. All were delish, but the shrimp and grits were a little runny. Portions are good. They brought out complementary mimosas to help celebrate the bday girls. and finally, the check comes out in a lit mason jar with holes in the top to mimic "fireflies". Very cute!!Special Features:
- Great SpotnatS123Dined on 10/4/2014I went to Firefly this Saturday night and it was a great experience. The ambience was warm and inviting, the service was great, and the food was fantastic. We had the mussels, cheese and charcuterie board, and mac and cheese fritters for appetizers which were all delicious. For my entree I tried the trout, served with sweet potato polenta, swiss chard, and almonds which I would highly recommend. The other person in my party had the roasted chicken which was also delicious. If you are looking for a modern take on classic dishes and a fun atmosphere, then you can't go wrong with Firefly.Special Features:
- Fantastic!dcdinerDined on 10/3/2014We took our teenaged son over the weekend. Loved the food; everything we ordered was terrific. My son said their burger was the best burger he'd ever had. Their truffle fries disappeared quickly. The service was outstanding; they made a special effort to move us to a different table upon request (our first table was in a colder, quieter part of the restaurant.) Will definitely come back.Special Features:
- Great PlaceDino758Dined on 10/3/2014I have been to Firefly many times when I am in DC and I have never been disappointed. Great food, excellent service, but can be a little loud. On my last visit I was told that they are going to be adding some sound proofing materials which should help.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemFoodlover1989Dined on 9/28/2014I was invited to fire fly by way of a surprise. I enjoyed my experience and the food was amazing. I enjoyed the atmosphere and the people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner for twoForeveryounginDCDined on 9/27/2014I brought my father here when he was visiting and we both loved it. Not only were the fall specials hearty and delicious, our server was superb. Yujala (spelling?) is young but very knowledgeable about the food and beverage menu. The bar was very busy that night and the bartender William made us a great fall inspired cocktail. Needless to say both my father and I enjoyed our meal and will probably return when he is in town next.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!TamiDined on 9/27/2014Wonderful neighborhood gem. Staff was excellent, food was marvelous. Best grilled cheese ever!Special Features:
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014The Bistro steak was cooked perfectly but the portion size left us a bit hungry after our meal. For the pricetag, we expected a bit more meat. The interior makes for a romantic setting but the noise level provides a more casual dining experience. We heard everything about the couple's meal dining next to us and what their plans were for the weekend - which inspired us to make fun plans, too! But - a little uncomfortable for what we thought would be a more intimate setting. Left wishing I had ordered the burger and a few sides. Service was incredible!Special Features:
- wonderful food and serviceLouandmDined on 9/26/2014We loved the mini pot roasts! Outstanding service. A lovely eveningSpecial Features:
- Great food, tight spacesWizFanVIPDined on 9/25/2014If you don't mind leaning forward during your conversation you'll be fine. The food is great. Swordfish was just right and my friend loved the risotto. The rhubarb and chocolate desserts were worth the next day's workout. It's packed in the evening, you can't even walk through the bar area, you have to walk around. They've got a good thing going, maybe that's why they don't risk expanding to a bigger space.Special Features:
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/22/2014I came for a business breakfast and loved the open windows to the street. The weather was perfect and blended nicely with the organic interior. Breakfast being breakfast, the food was as expected. The staff were friendly, cheery, and seemed genuinely happy to be there and have us as guests.Special Features:
- I Always get the biscuits and gravyAdamDined on 9/21/2014and this time was disappointed. only two pieces of sausage, a spoonful of gravy, and a pile of potatoes. I usually have Stephanie as my server and she is great; the server we had Sunday afternoon was not Stephanie or even close to her skill level. Enough said.
- Firefly Never DisappointsglutenfreefoodieVIPDined on 9/20/2014I always love dining at Firefly - from dinner, to just drinks, to brunch - they offer a great menu selection (especially for us gluten-free folks) and great service.Special Features:
- Great service meh foodnova78Dined on 9/14/2014After reading so many great reviews I was excited to celebrate a special occasion at Firefly. It's in a charming neighborhood, inside is warm and cozy, hardwood tables very pretty (but wobbly), padded (saggy)bench with pillows to lean on. The hostess and our waiter were so friendly and genuine, that I hate to report that the food disappointed. The dates with blue cheese and bacon were so greasy. The shrimp and grits-lots of shrimp but they were tiny and flavorless, and seemed puddled in water on top of the grits(which were good). Mac and cheese soupy. The ice cream sandwich was frozen solid and the ice cream was really sour clashing with the dark chocolate wafers; the peanut butter/chocolate dessert also frozen to the point of shattering.
- Lovely placeKarinaDined on 9/13/2014Lovely place with good good and service. The acoustics is however awful - very difficult to talk across the table resulting in everyone almost yelling. Very noisy place.Special Features:
- Fun venue, fresh foodJade618Dined on 9/13/2014Visited Firefly with a few friends from high school, a reunion of sorts. Not a ton of offerings, but the salmon/quinoa was delicious, prepared as the chef recommended, medium rare. We ordered truffle parmesean fries and triple mac & cheese for apps and they were perfect for sharing, plus the lightly salted rolls. For dessert, we really enjoyed sharing a couple of their chocolate dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingCleve2uVIPDined on 9/10/2014This used to be one of our favorite spots when visiting DC, but this last visit was a real disappointment. The place was extremely noisy, the food was ordinary. At least our server was friendly and attentive. Not sure if it was a bad night, or indicative of decline. I was particularly irritated by the person who delivered our food. He was gruff and seriously in a hurry. Our entree arrived a second after they picked up our salad plates, making us feel rushed. Hope this turns around, but not sure I will be there to witness future improvements.
- I would go there again!TammyDined on 9/7/2014The food and service were very good! The chicken entree was great! It was moist and the succotash was flavorful. Others in my party raved about their pot roast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sure to pleasewineslayerDined on 9/6/2014I found the restaurants interior architecturally fun, as I liked the various tree forms used to decorate. A recent discovery, I have only been once, but as my meal was, creative, healthy and super delicious, I am sure to return. Service was spot-on.Special Features:
- Amazing brunchNeh91Dined on 9/6/2014Fantastic food and enthusiastic service, we had a wonderful time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favesJuliaz3VIPDined on 9/5/2014Firefly is one of my favorite restaurants in the city. I've visited many times over the past 10-12 years and the food, wines, and service are consistently good. Firefly is one of those places I can always depend on when I take out of towner guest out to dinner. The location just off Dupont Circle is also very convenient.Special Features:
- Great Location - Modest FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/2/2014My dining companion had the shrimp and grits and seemed to enjoy them; however, I ordered the chicken cobb salad. The chicken was very dry and flavorless. The tomatoes were roasted and drenched in salt and oil rather than fresh. I have dairy intolerance so once I asked that there be no cheese and buttermilk ranch dressing - I was offered a sherry viniagrette - but that, too, was rather flat and flavorless. Sorry to say that although we had excellent service - I would not return to this restaurant based on the food delivered.
- Fun AmbiancedcwinoDined on 9/1/2014I love the urban picnic theme with a tree in the middle of the restaurant. I've been for dinner and brunch and the food is always good.Special Features:
- Amazing Restaurant -- AND +Family!ChristinaHDined on 8/31/2014Firefly is the perfect restaurant to showcase culinary excellence for a night out with friends. We enjoyed a yellow summer tomato gazpacho, creatively deviled eggs, a perfectly cooked salmon over quinoa with roasted eggplant and cucumber dill crème fraiche, grilled bistro steak, roasted chicken with corn succotash, and chocolate pots with salted caramel and other spice. The meal was special for our kids -- YES YOU CAN ACTUALLY BRING THEM -- who got to decorate their own cookies, which were baked while we waited for various courses. They loved the kids' menu, and especially the accommodation to prepare a little swordfish filet with broccolini for a more adventuresome six year old palette. Great ambiance with outside as inside decor. Just go!Special Features:
- Pleasant experienceRicoDined on 8/30/2014A group of us met at noon. This was the first time for all of us. The servers were friendly and knowledgeable. Everyone was very satisfied with their dish as we shared. The deviled eggs were very good and my smoked salmon sandwich was great! We plan to return soon with a different group of foodies. Thanks!Special Features:
- rehearsal dinner fabLinda56Dined on 8/29/2014Ate our 3rd meal at Firefly for our dear friends wedding rehearsal dinner. Would go more but live in FL. They made the dinner fabulous. So proud that I suggested them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the BestAllyDined on 8/29/2014I restaurant would easily make it into my top 5. We started with the deviled eggs, which have a neat caper powder in place of paprika, and which feature a really tasty garlic crisp. They were excellent. For main courses, I had the summer risotto -- one of the better vegetarian dishes I've ever had. The waitress (who was great) recommended the mini pot roast, which my boyfriend had. It was one of the more beautifully plated dishes I've seen, and he cleaned his plate (not a common occurrence). The place is fancy, without being stuffy. Excellent service (we were even comped glasses of champagne). And definitely stop by the bar (which features great craft cocktails, a good single malt scotch collection, and, again, excellent service.Special Features:
- foodie8heartDined on 8/29/2014It's excellent for cocktails and small bites but dinner was abit lacking. Need to freshen up the chairs/upholstery- smelled stale/musky. Waiter was bit pushy. Maybe they should just do tapas and drinks (which they do well), instead of meals...Special Features:
- Nice spot for a light mealFormerFedVIPDined on 8/28/2014I got the Farmer's Salad, Deviled Eggs, and Lamb Rillette and ended with the Cheese Plate. Everything was very tasty, although the salad was heavier on the lettuce than I expected based on its description. The Washington State cabernet-syrah was very tasty. Service was attentive in the initially crowded restaurant.Special Features:
- Can't get enoughOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/28/2014This was my first time at Firefly and it could not have been a more amazing experience. The service from Martin and Cerise was excellent and I never was left waiting for anything. If I needed extra of anything it was taken care of right away. They were both friendly and kind and I would recommend this restaurant to anyone in the DC area especially of they are visiting!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.