Firefly - DC
1310 New Hampshire Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20036Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Firefly - DC
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.firefly-dc.com/
- Phone: 2028611310x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 10:00am Brunch: Saturday: 9:00am - 2:00pm, Sunday: 9:00am - 2:30pm Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Todd Wiss
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Contact Christina McCarty firstname.lastname@example.org or 202.521.7412 to book an event in one of our two private dining rooms today!
Firefly is also available for restaurant buyouts, accommodating up to 125 guests. Come experience Chef Todd Wiss's seasonal menus in one of our intimate private dining spaces. Whether you're planning a business lunch, rehearsal dinner or birthday party, Firefly is the perfect fit for all types of events.
- Special Events: We are now featuring $2 Mimosas and $2 Bloody Marys with brunch on saturdays from 9am-2pm. Don't forget that we still have Sunday Brunch featuring $2 Mimosas from 10am-2:30pm as well!
- Cross Street: N Street
- Public Transit: Metro: We are closest to the Dupont Circle Metro Stop, which is on the Red Line. Exit via the Q street exit. At street level, walk south on 20th Street for 4 blocks. Make a right. We are just past the orange awning on the right.
We are located on New Hampshire Ave. NW, two blocks south of Dupont Circle, between N and 20th St.
- Parking: Street Parking
A word from Firefly - DC
Firefly, the quintessential urban neighborhood restaurant, offers contemporary American comfort food to the city's many 'regulars' who dine out several times a week. Enjoy favorites like our matzoh ball soup, mini pot roast and a variety of 'Urban Picnics' to share...or not. We also have many seafood and some vegetarian options. The menu is designed to utilize products from our local farms and farmers. Hand-picked to compliment the cuisine, our award-winning wine list shows an affinity for small winemakers and producers and our seasonal specialty cocktail menu offers a bevy of unique libations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Firefly - DC reviews from OpenTable diners
251 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (117)fit for foodies (105)great for brunch (75)great for lunch (57)special occasion (54)good for groups (39)romantic (38)vibrant bar scene (36)hot spot (33)notable wine list (28)kid-friendly (23)late-night find (16)great for outdoor dining (14)scenic view (12)Show More
- Nice spot for a light mealFormerFedVIPDined on 8/28/2014I got the Farmer's Salad, Deviled Eggs, and Lamb Rillette and ended with the Cheese Plate. Everything was very tasty, although the salad was heavier on the lettuce than I expected based on its description. The Washington State cabernet-syrah was very tasty. Service was attentive in the initially crowded restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/27/2014Good food but very noisy... wine by the glass was limitedSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014Good food selection, attentive waiter, a tiny bit noisy but good for a group of 7 to converse. Looked to be a good bar scene and general ambience was fine. Very convenient neighborhood location - would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Stellarrkr1854Dined on 8/24/2014I have dined at Firefly numerous times when in the area on business. The food and service are always excellent. I have seen the place jammed with people having a good time in the evening. I have seen it busy at lunch. This time, I brought my wife, and we ate early on a weeknight. It was quiet and we were able to enjoy a conversation with our meal. I highly recommend Firefly, and I have never had a bad meal here.Special Features:
- Light up the night with FireflyImArealBoyDined on 8/21/2014I took a first date here and it was fantastic. The decor and ambiance immediately gives you something to notice and talk about. Then you see the menu, not a huge variety but a lot of quality food that allows you to be adventurous if you so choose. The staff was super attentive always making sure glasses were full and that we were enjoying our experience. Our waiter was knowledgeable about the food they had to offer and when asked for suggestion didnt immediately point to the most expensive item on the list. The check coming in a mason jar with a light to make it look like a firefly catcher was a clever little way to put the icing on the cake for a great meal at Firefly.Special Features:
- Lunch before PhillipsElsieCAVIPDined on 8/20/2014This was a great find for lunch before a tour of the Phillips Collection. We loved the tree decor, and the food was excellent with reasonable prices. We also left with a granola treat for the next day.Special Features:
- MidwestVisitorDined on 8/19/2014Our dining experience was great; the server was excellent, very accommodatingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ObjectiveReviewerDined on 8/18/2014Atmosphere was nice andfood was good with reasonable choices at restaurant week. My wife was especially pleased. Waiters were very attentive and helpful but not intrusive. It was good to see young people out singly and in groups. Street parking isn't easy. Use parkmobile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/17/2014food is very good, drinks are good, staff is good, all around goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neat neighborhood dining place.mikeDined on 8/16/2014Clean, bright and exceptionable. A great neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerDeclanDined on 8/15/2014This is my third time at Firefly, and I will definitely keep going back. The food is always delicious, but what really makes this restaurant great is the service. The great service at Firefly sets it apart from other restaurants in DC. Thanks for a great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DuPont Curcle gemTwoWorldTravelersDined on 8/15/2014Cozy yet energetic restaurant 2 blocks from DuPont Circle. Food was fabulous (Beet salad / shrimp-n-grits for one, gazpacho / salmon for the other followed by pot-Au-chocolate to share). Service was very attentive. Others have mentioned the noise levels as a problem - we were there in prime time on a Friday night and found it "energetic" but not too loud. People were clearly all having a good time! As for parking, we found a garage open till 11pm 2 blocks down at 2030 M street. $8 all night after 5. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week Summer 2014KomalDDined on 8/15/2014I love going to those restaurants during restaurant week that have great options off their regular menu. This restaurant hit the mark - had their best sellers on the menu and between the 4 of us in the party we all chose different foods to try. It was a great experience from the hostess to the server and especially the food - we were even able to hit the happy hour menu at the bar before we were seated. I will definitely be going back!Special Features:
- Nice place for dinner!EastCoastEva29Dined on 8/15/2014My husband , daughter and I had delicious dinners eating al fresco. We were pleased with our service from our waitress, Nicole. we will certainly come back here on our next visit! Highly recommended!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceBrandonDined on 8/13/2014My wife and I really enjoyed ourselves. Great atmosphere and our waiter was incredibly attentive. I think it's over priced for the portion you get but the food was very tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2/3 of us were happyMangiaBeneVIPDined on 8/13/2014My mother and I took a visiting relative there for dinner during Restaurant Week. We had been there before but it seemed a reasonable place to go, not knowing the visitor's taste or palate. She enjoyed her meal as did I but there were a couple of wrong notes for my mother. She asked the server if the mussels could be made without tasso ham. She was told yes but the dish came out with ham, something my mother didn't discover until she bit into a piece of it. It came back without ham but, as was apparently the case the first time, it really wasn't cooked in a rich stock, or buttery-winy broth but something my mother described as "basically onions in water." That was disappointing and the first time she's had a bad experience there.Special Features:
- First Time To DCParentsWeekendYr2Dined on 8/12/2014Our food was absolutely "to die for" and our waiter was extremely attentive! Both my sister-in-law and I ordered the Salmon as our entree - DELICIOUS!!! If you are looking for a quiet restaurant though - this is not it! The noise level was the loudest I have ever encountered. I would highly recommend the restaurant though for the food & service. Enjoy!Special Features:
- Unbelievable noise levelDine2niteDined on 8/12/2014Food was better than average, service average, but the decibel level was beyond belief. We had both lunch and dinner and would definitely NOT recommend it for dinner. The back room was marginally quieter, but the AC froze us out.Special Features:
- Cramped and LoudDisappointedDined on 8/12/2014Entirely too cramped and too noisy. Couldn't talk to friends across the table !Special Features:
- Great Find!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014Went here for restaurant week and was very happy with this decision. Not only is the food fantastic, but the service was outstanding. Definitely coming back. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What Happened?KBmanVIPDined on 8/12/2014I have been a fan of Firefly for a long time until this visit. The service was attentive but the food is not up to their usual standards. We tried the lunch restaurant week menu. It offered nothing new and basically was a slimmed down version of their excellent lunch choices. The only difference I could discern was that they offered desserts. The desserts were not worth it. The salty caramel chocolate pot de creme was a confusion of tastes not a blend. The cheese plate offered a molecular sized portion of cheese that I hoped would enthrall but instead disappointed. Service was good with a few rough edges but the service should complement and not be the highlight.Special Features:
- first timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/10/2014We just moved our daughter into the Apolline condos. We were hungry and tired. Sat down and had a great dinner and relaxing atmosphere. Nice to know that we will have a great to go every time we visit and a place my daughter can take her company. Thank-youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointment on second visitCityprofVIPDined on 8/10/2014We had a very good dinner here in June; our most recent visit was a disappointment. First courses were fine (not outstanding). One main course, the moussaka, verged on inedible: a brown slab covered in thick goo ("gravy"). The salmon was skin-on and the skin was burned, placed on a bed of quinoa laden with harissa (unpleasant). Perhaps just a Sunday night off, but we won't be back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014Very nice dinner. Loud small kids in back room. Pot roast was great. Very interesting salads. Parking in neighborhood difficult.Special Features:
- Can't Wait to Go Again!SueSDCDined on 8/8/2014Firefly is such a unique dining experience from the tree in the middle to the check delivery one really feels like they are in a forest. This menu is very creative, healthy and unique. I tried the deviled eggs and fried mac and cheese and will be back soon to try the bacon wrapped dates. My pot roast melted off the bone and my moms's steak was exactly how she likes it. The service was top notch I always felt that someone was only a moment away from having a big smile and desire to help me. Everyone working there truly seemed to enjoy working there and has an enormous amount of price.Special Features:
- American food with a twistMathCowboyDined on 8/7/2014My date and I were visiting DC and made reservations after noticing that they have a gluten free menu. She needs GF foods. The server was knowledgeable about GF options on the menu and brought out a separate GF menu. Her mussels were brought out in a pile on a plate, and she said that they were delicious. The parmesan fries were pretty good, too. I got the steak caesar salad with avocado. It paired well with the complimentary white bread rolls. It was just the right amount for lunch since I did not have a large appetite that day. Our check came out in a small glass jar with a candle inside to look like there was a firefly in there. How cute!Special Features:
- Great food, quite loudAlexisVIPDined on 8/3/2014Food and service were both great! Noise level is loud, and can be difficult to hear others at your table.Special Features:
- Cutest Spot for BrunchJmarmolinaVIPDined on 8/3/2014Firefly is always a good spot for brunch with my girl friends, they have a great mimosa carafe deal, just not bottomless. The decor of Firefly is really chic / cute. We sat by the big tree in the middle of the dining room and just for the novelty of it enjoyed it. Servers are always friendly, but sometimes drink orders seem to be a little slow (might be the bar though!) Food is YUMMY. Got the breakfast tacos on my first visit and it's a great portion, then opted for Lemon Ricotta Pancakes on my most recent visit. Pancakes were okay, just seemed like small pancakes with a hint of lemon, barely one cut up strawberry on top. Wouldn't get them again, but I love the little bread buckets they have during lunch, the pound cake is delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great, filling foodrambo5980Dined on 8/2/2014Food was delicious and our server was very friendly. Couldn't finish the food because it was so filling. $4 bloody Mary was surprisingly greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food. Extremely loud.JMT0000Dined on 8/1/2014Probably the best meal I've had in months. Excellent ingredients, filling portions, flavors that are both classic and surprising.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion Comfort FoodhiyymereatsDined on 8/1/2014This is a very popular bar scene. We were there on a Friday night and had a wonderful meal. The main dining room is decorated in a pleasing and unique way; you almost feel as though you're dining al fresco. There is an additional, inner dining room with a more traditional decor. We enjoyed excellent signature cocktails followed by an very nice Pinot Noir with "Devils on Horseback" for starters. The roasted Beet & Quinoa salad was delicious. We shared the fish special (Salmon) for our entree along with a side of grilled Broccoli Rabe. Don't skip dessert! Overall excellent customer service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great appertizersLizaDined on 7/31/2014Amazing appetizers, we got only sides and starters but everything was great. the beer selection was lacking but we were also the last in the restaurant. would definitely go back to explore more options. the decor is fun and beautiful! Firefly is perfect for a group get togethers - easily accessible and quick serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming business lunchjessieDined on 7/29/2014My first but not last experience for business lunch -- very attentive server, great location and wonderful food. It is a vibrant place but also quiet and suitable for portant discussion with colleague. I could also see a completely fun lunch or dinner here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic findOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/27/2014I randomly chose Firefly as a brunch spot from Yelp, and MAN! What a find! The hostesses were really great about confirming our reservation, and accommodated us when we ran a few minutes late. We only waited maybe 2 minutes for our table, and even though we got what could be called the worst table in the place (behind the only wall in the whole restaurant with no view of anything) we STILL had a great time. The food was amazeballs (I had the grilles cheese with tomato and bacon with parmesan truffle fries. And a pineapple mimosa.) And our server Joe was both knowledgeable and super friendly. Kasey the Mgr stopped by and introduced herself, and she was super cool too. I thought the bar lights were totally cute! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming!yummmDined on 7/26/2014Firefly is a chraming spot off of the busy block of Dupont circle! The breakfast burrito was AMAZING and the french toast was delicious! Definitely reccomend for a brunch spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedHappy2eatoutVIPDined on 7/25/2014Let's start by saying we were visiting from NYC and ended up here because the kimptongroup sister restaurant Urbana in the Palomar Hotel was under renovation. It was highly recommended by the Palomar. Apps- Bacon and blue cheese wrapped dates -tasty Liver pate - fair, not memorable Entrees The Lamb dish we ordered had pappardelle noodles and feta it was different and tasty but salty. We also had salmon with quinoa The salmon was well prepared but the quinoa had little seasoning We also ordered succotash as a side which didnt come out till 1/2 way thru our meal and was basically corn off the cob with some veggies mixed in Our 2nd round of drinks arrived when we were almost done with dinner before they arrived.
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/22/2014Cool ambience and delicious food. Would definitely go again if the proper occasion arises. Good for individuals and large groups.Special Features:
- RushedFoodie5Dined on 7/20/2014I went to brunch at firefly ready to spend a while with a friend taking advantage of their $3 mimosas. However, our server completely rushed us through our meal. Additionally, the food was cold and slightly congealed and did not seem to have been made for us, but seemed to have been pre cooked and only put on a plate when we ordered it. Firefly has the potential to be a great brunch spot but right now is more of a factory. By the time we left the place was cleared out so no one was rushing to take our table and they definitely would have made more money off of us if we hadn't felt so rushed!
- Jose the food runnerToRileyDined on 7/19/2014Jose the food runner is awesome. He was very attentive to the needs of my mother and me. :)Special Features:
- Very niceIamJavoneDined on 7/19/2014This restaurant is very nice. The food was amazing. The service was great. The only downside is that after 2:00pm on Sat for brunch the kitchen does not open again until 5:00pm for dinner. So if you arrive after 2:00pm, you will not be serviced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.