Firefly at the Dana Mission Bay
1710 W Mission Bay Drive
San Diego, CA 92109Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Firefly at the Dana Mission Bay
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thedana.com/
- Phone: (619) 225-2125
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 3:30pm - 9pm Fri & Sat 3:30pm - 10pm Cocktails: Sunday - Thursday 3:30pm - 10pm Fri & Sat 3:30pm - 11pm Happy Hour: Everyday 3:30pm - 5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Eric Manuel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Ande Cogsdill 619-225-2125
A word from Firefly at the Dana Mission Bay
With a contemporary atmosphere and innovative cuisine unique to the California region, Firefly is the perfect destination for a relaxing meal or an end-of-the-day cocktail. Beautiful views of Mission Bay and Sea World's summer fireworks are available from all outdoor and most indoor tables. An excellent choice for a group or a romantic evening for two. Chef Eric Manuel, a San Diego native, creatively presents the area's best seasonal, local ingredients in a modern style that is sure to please a variety of tastes. Many items are designed to be shared. We offer many wines by the glass, wine and local micro brew tasting flights, and happy hour everyday from 3:30pm - 5:30pm. Visiting us reminds you why it’s so good to be in San Diego. We look forward to seeing you soon!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Firefly at the Dana Mission Bay reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (17)scenic view (7)kid-friendly (5)fit for foodies (5)special occasion (5)good for groups (4)notable wine list (3)romantic (3)great for lunch (2)neighborhood gem (2)great for brunch (1)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Great romantic environmentRomanceDined on 11/2/2014I'm not the picky type at all, but if your going on a date with a picky female, it's not the best place to go. Overall they have great service, great environment. They got my note on a small dessert with a candle. But was freaking out a bit, since when I first walked up, they had no host. And got seated by someone else not asking if I had reservations. So when our waitress came along, I made sure to ask to cross me out and look at the notes :) so all and all burger are only lunch, and dinner they only have kids burgers? But not adults...odd. they have romantic gas fire place tables outside so that's a plus. All and all it was fun :) and great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quite goodLVtravelerDined on 10/31/2014Stayed at the hotel, and had dinner our last night there. Really great service/food, and had a bottle of our favorite wine at a great price. Would go there again, even if didn't stay at the hotel. We were there the night after a convention left, so it was much quieter than the previous two nights when we walked around the property.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice treat quaint menuDelishdelightsVIPDined on 10/24/2014What a great location yiu have the boats the water and our table was quiet in a patio right near the pool. No one was the surprising for a freiday at 830pm..we were all alone outside which was Very nice out table had a nice bright umbrella ..my father my brother and I were starved comin in from nyc. We were seated right Away server was friendly.We had scallops, the chicken fettuccine and the chicken jidori..all were very tasty and seemed to be cooked with love..we had the coffee creme brûlée it was very tasty only thing is when I made reservations a asked for them to sing to my father or bring a candle for his birthday and they didn't but it's ok we were tired. All in all not too badly priced and atomosphere was just fine at the Dana hotel!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice dinnerSeanVIPDined on 10/14/2014We came here on a tuesday night at 6:15 for dinner. The drink specials were good and the food was outstanding. Scallops, and Short Ribs were some of the best ive had out. It gets a little noisy due to the hotel pool being so close to the outdoor seating area and would probably be better later on in the evening. Service was very good and had great reccommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A SurpriseBabs4316VIPDined on 10/11/2014We were staying at The Dana for the weekend and decided to give Firefly a go... Initially we were a bit worried early in the day as the place looked like a small sports bar at lunch when we peeked in, but by evening (with some really low lighting) the overall atmosphere was much improved (altho' the TV's were still on). We sat outside, which we felt was the best option. Our server (Liz) was terrific. The food was the big surprise here -- REALLY very good. Starting with the Venissimo cheese tray that came with dried fruit, nuts and warm bread -- a real treat. My husband then had the sea bass, which arrived perfectly cooked and delicious. My Yellowfin crudo was top-notch, very fresh with light flavors. A great job by the chef!Special Features:
- Best for guests at hotelTucsonFoodieVIPDined on 10/11/2014We didn't stay at hotel, so were unhappy to find the only parking there was gated for hotel guests or a small (full) lot reserved for a wedding. We were directed to street parking off-site. Not a great start. The restaurant is nice looking and is best for outdoor seating, but they only had a couple of outdoor heaters so we ate inside knowing it was getting cool. The inside is dominated by a bar and TV screens, but is still fine though noisy. The food was quite slow coming out. In spite of being a Saturday night, the kitchen seemed surprised by the crowd--our server told us "the kitchen is slammed", which we don't like to hear. Food was fine but nothing special. Would only recommend trying Firefly if already a guest at the hotel.Special Features:
- Casual Dining, Delicious FareMzCandaceVIPDined on 9/23/2014A pleasant hostess greeted abnd seated us promptly. We opted dining inside; although the bayside view al fresco, would have been pleasant, as well. Carla our server was cordial and attentive throughout, the timing of our courses was perfrction. Kudos to the culinary and front staff for a delectable dinner, effortlessly accommodating our requests, resulting in a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outdoor settingOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/14/2014Nice outdoor setup with seating by the pool---some tables are set up under a attractive canopy with lights-- Excellent, informed service staff.===The clam/linguini entree was fresh with great flavors---Sea bass was local, and very flavorful!!----J.Special Features:
- luv2eatoutDined on 8/29/2014The food was excellent but it took nearly 45 minutes to get it after we ordered.Special Features:
- FireflysdamandaDined on 8/18/2014My sister and I met for dinner. We sat outside and the weather was perfect, birds were chirping, people were playing in the pool. We had a good glass of wine then soup and then our entrees. Both were fabulous. She had pasta and I had the short ribs. Everything had such good flavor. Our waitress, Victoria, was great too. Very attentive and helpful with all of our questions (we had many since it was our first visit). I was impressed that everything is made fresh to order. I like that in a restaurant. I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- All Food Way Too Salty60thcelebrationDined on 8/10/2014We ate at Firefly for dinner (3) times during our stay at the Dana On Mission Bay - for convenience. Each item was way too salty! From a salad to steak sandwich. Each of the 4 in our parties commented on this as well. They need a new chef. Not a "cook."Special Features:
- Convenient and tastyamericatrip2014Dined on 8/5/2014Having a restaurant in your hotel like Firefly is easy plus the food was really good! Definitely go check it out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DoccVIPDined on 8/3/2014Kitchen and bar seem quite slow and the service didn't attempt to make it a special dinner. The scallops were quite good but overall the price seem a bit high for this type of restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2014Loved the scallops and the risotto! The calamari was divine and my girlfriend loved the heirloom salad.Special Features:
- The following 186 reviews are from the Firefly at the Dana Mission Bay reviews archive.
- Exceeded expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Good wine list and reasoably priced; good craft-local beer list; braised short ribs and sea bass entrees were outstanding; attentive and polite service;Special Features:
- We never got served!kfamilyDined on 6/28/2014After booking our reservation for 8 pm, the three of us arrived at 7:55 pm and were seated promptly by the hostess. She was the last staff member we were able to catch the attention of until 8:16 when we decided to just leave. Our table was in plan view right off the walk way and directly across from the hostess station but we were unable to flag down any of the five staff members who were helping the tables around us. The family who was seated after us (without a reservation) was taken care of immediately and served beverages before we made the decision to leave. We waved at them as we left. It is a shame that such a pleasant looking place has no service for us.Special Features:
- Wonderful service/Delicious foodkak6Dined on 5/17/2014This is our second trip to Firefly. This time we ate outside - it was much quieter than indoor seating but both times the food was superb and the service outstanding. We had a waitress from Argentina (I'm sorry I forgot her name) and she did everything in her power to make our meal experience outstanding. She refilled drinks quickly, often without even needing to be asked. We couldn't have asked for a nicer experience for our out of town guest!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was awesome....webfeetDined on 5/16/2014Our waiter was frequently absent and was way to late to take our order. He forgot we asked for the heater to be turned on. Food came out on time and great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedRaysarDined on 4/20/2014Our group expected a relaxed meal with skilled service. None of this panned out. Our dishes/utensils were sitting in the middle of the table for us to take on our own. The table wobbled. The drinks were "cloudy" for some reason. The Raspberry iced-tea was from a sugar mix, rather than being an herb or fruit infused beverage. Our server appeared and disappeared with no clear plan, never asking about our meal. One dish sat on the counter for 10 minutes before being brought to the table. The waitress brought our check and disappeared. We had to ask someone else to collect our check and card. The atmosphere was touristy, with hotel guests walking in and out of the small space in towels as they left the pool.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014Great Easter brunch. My only complaint is I wish they would have put us outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Firefly at Danabsc1200Dined on 4/20/2014I loved Easter brunch here. I could have sat there watching the boats on the bay all day long. It was very serene and the buffet was amazing. I'm so glad I chose to have our brunch there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wen here for date night withSDSUMonkeyDined on 4/6/2014Wen here for date night with my girlfriend, and was pleasantly surprised--the foo was outstanding at a reasonable price, and they had a considerable (and delicious!) wine list. I'm normally iffy on restaurants in hotels, but Firefly sure made the grade!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific serviceAlDeepCreekDined on 3/26/2014Lovely spot with a great view and great food. Service was terrific - our server brought a sample of wine when my sister-in-law was uncertain about the bottle she was about to order. The sample and the bottle were superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow start, fine finishcprfoodieDined on 3/16/2014Nice atmosphere with slow service at the beginning of the meal. Somehow our waiter didn't know we were his table. :-) Once we connected and we ordered, the meal was served at a comfortable place and the food was very good. The Brussels sprouts appetizer was excellent, wonderful salads, and they had very nice fish entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we went there on a quite busy nightsandiegofamilytripDined on 2/21/2014It was Friday night, restaurant is busy, packed in and out tables, so it was quite slow on ordering and serving. A bar-dining mixed restaurant, so don't expect you have a normal dining environment, it is pretty noisy.Special Features:
- Mediocre food & way slow serviceJohnGDined on 2/16/201420 minutes to get a servers attention, 20 minutes to get my beer. Very understaffed and I got the feeling that they don't care much about it. The servers were pleasant enough once you had their attention. Food was hit and miss. The good first-Kobe burger was very good. I would recommend it highly. The scallops were awful! Whatever sauce and "vegetable" the served them with was bitter and off tasting. Scallops under cooked somewhat. The flatbread filet mignon had almost no meat on it, literally 4-5 very small pieces on a very generous portion of flatbread. Not worth the money. Wine list on the menu was unreadable, like the printer ran out of ink. Do yourself a favor and go off property for your meals.Special Features:
- Gluten Free Options and DeliciousLydiamiaVIPDined on 2/15/2014Almost everything on their menu can be prepared gluten free, which is a rare treat. The shoe string fries and sea bass were delicious, and the wine list was notable, but reasonably price. The view was beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingtabothDined on 2/14/2014Planned to have Valentines day dinner at Firefly. Arrived on time for reservation but were asked to wait because the hostess was really busy. The restaurant wasn't that full, but there was an event happening which seemed to slow service drastically. Food was pretty good (although not nearly as good as the price would have indicated), but the service was incredibly slow, and our waitress completely forgot one of our courses. We had dressed to sit outside, but because we had been sitting so long in between courses, we were really cold. We asked the waitress if it was possible to have the heater turned up or moved closer and she never got back to us. All in all, the experience was disappointing. We will not be returning.
- Good food ad resonable pricesbigigorDined on 2/14/2014From the New England clam chowder served in a sourdough bread bowl to the filet, the food was really good. My wife had the filet and it was served exactly as she requested. My New York strip steak was also perfectly presented, although I could have used less "greenery" on the top of it. The seasoned shoestrings were excellent with just the right amount of cheese and season. My daughters trout was cooked to perfection as well as the vegetables. Our waitress recommended that we order a side or two as the accompaniments with each dish were not abundant. They even accommodated my daughter's request to serve their tomato bisque in the sourdough bread bowl, which she enjoyed greatly. Overall, a great dining experience and great personal service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner OutsideDennisDined on 2/13/2014Very nice find to meet a business associate in a quiet setting. Well presented dishes, portions not too large. Unexpected pleasure to dine outside near the firepit.Special Features:
- LovelyKimSDined on 2/8/2014We had a reservation and enjoyed a nice evening. The food, service, and atmosphere were great. I'd go back again, especially when it's a bit warmer to sit outside!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a pleasant surprisePEfoodieVIPDined on 2/7/2014This was a last minute choice of convenience and we all thought it was very tasty.
- Nice but...jessDined on 1/23/2014Our first time at the Firefly began a little rough. We made a reservation but arrived about 15 minutes early, and the place was packed. We were offered a table walled in on two sides with the 3rd side abutting one of the adjacent table's patrons. The host ditched us there and sat a couple without reservations at a much better table. We actually had to point this out to the host. Fortunately, the food was delicious and although the kitchen was clearly overwhelmed, our server was friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- Late Morning at the FireflyLeestguyDined on 1/19/2014We recently dined outdoors at the Firefly and enjoyed a relaxed, unhurried, dinning experience with friends we were catching up with after not seeing them for some time. The lunch/pre-lunch menu is small, but sometimes that is a good thing. All of us were happy with our entries - from breakfast sandwiches to fish and chips to tuna salad sandwiches. Our server, Carla, was demure, but professional: unobtrusive, but appropriately attentive, recognizing our desire to relax and socialize with long-time friends. We are looking to returning to the Firefly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- stylish but not snootylkcguamVIPDined on 1/17/2014We had nice unhurried lunch. Food was good quality and well prepared. Not unusual. Prices are what you would expect at the beach.Special Features:
- Nice dinnerbiker109Dined on 12/27/2013Had dinner on December 27th with my wife and sister and brother in law for our 20th wedding anniversey. Not overwhelmed with it. Food seemed overpriced and my burger came out very well done and not medium as requested. The wait staff was very good and saw to all our needs. The prices are to high but it is at a fine hotel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Firefly First Time Experienceluv2dineout2Dined on 11/23/2013Overall everything was very good to excellent. Atmosphere, food, service, etc. The only "minor" thing that bothered us somewhat was the noise level. When we first arrived it was very noisy. After a while either we got used to it or it just settled down a little when a group that we noticed left.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ok but no starseatalotDined on 10/18/2013Food was fair water tasted bitter veggies were old
- Nice Bayside DiningGandalfDined on 9/27/2013We had a pleasant dining experience at the Firefly. The setting, with outdoor dining overlooking the marina, is very nice. The service was fast and accommodating. The food was good, not spectacular. Our only complaint would be that the cappuccino seemed watered-down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best BurgerOliverDined on 9/19/2013We went during restaurant week and was unfortunate to pick a night when they also had a wedding going on next to the restaurant. The area was crowded with people and loud , so we choose to eat in side. Inside not much better since the large screen TV was on football and there was a large group of people cheering for there teams. That being said the food was good, but the burger was the highlight of dinner. The burger was better then my filet or my husbands scallops. But, I do not think we would return just for the burger.Special Features: