539 Broad Street
Hartford, CT 06101Neighborhood:
Hartford / West Hartford
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fireboxrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8602461222
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 8:30pm; Brunch: Sunday 11:00am-2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Sean Farrell
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Chef Sean Farrell is happy to create spectacular catering menus, please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: The Firebox Restaurant is happy to welcome groups of all sizes, for all occasions.
- Private Party Contact: Sarah Ostapchuk 8602461222
- Special Events: We can accomodate private parties for lunch and dinner. Contact Sarah Ostapchuk for details
A word from Firebox Restaurant
Firebox Restaurant, located in the historic Billings Forge, one block from the State Capitol, serves seasonal contemporary American cuisine, in a casually elegant setting. Guests enjoy the white-washed brick, warm fireplace and handmade Amish farm tables of our back dining rooms. The impressive front bar area with it's exposed brick, wood beams and vaulted ceilings, houses a lively bar scene focusing on innovative cocktails and an impressive wine selection.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Firebox Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Hartford / West Hartford ›
Firebox Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
150 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (115)neighborhood gem (80)special occasion (72)romantic (54)good for groups (49)notable wine list (48)hot spot (30)vibrant bar scene (25)great for lunch (21)great for brunch (19)great for outdoor dining (14)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Fabulous FlavorOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014I am never disappointed with Firebox. Whether during Restaurant Week or any other time, the flavors and care in the preparation of food are incredible. And I really like that dinner is not rushed - much more European that way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/17/2014The food was fantastic as was the service. I would recommend the cast iron duck for the main dish. It was deliciousSpecial Features:
- Great DinnerCTFoodieDined on 10/15/2014Loved our dinner. We try to make it to Firebox a few times a year, and have never been disappointed. My husband and I shared our meals and couldn't figure out which was better. We also ordered a side of roasted corn. It was really tasty, and I thought we couldn't eat it all, but my husband proved me wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday, not the best day to dine?jsansoukDined on 10/12/2014My partner and I were very excited to try this restaurant, our experience could certainly have been better. The service, I must say was wonderful and attentive. Preparation of the dishes were a late Sunday night level 2 kitchen staff. The oysters were good, but the migonette was basically a few dashes of vinegar and a fleck or two of shallot. $48 dollars? No lemon, traditional red sauce or horseradish. My corn polenta, not impressed. It was more like baby food in consistency, I was have enjoyed more texture or spicyness. My spouses salmon was good and he enjoyed the farro that accompanied it. A thumbs up on the homemade pasta. The winelist was large enough to give a great representation of regions. We'll return, not on a Sunday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great atmospheremfreemanDined on 10/11/2014Excellent server. Very knowledgeable about the menu. Our food was very good. I hadn't been to Firebox in a while so I figured we would stop in. The charcuterie isn't your typical meat & cheese plate. The duck prosciutto wasn't on the mark (greasy and chewy) but the smoked salmon, whipped chicken pate` and mustards were quite good but only 3 toast points. The fried brussels sprouts side were decent but not the best that I have had. For dinner, my girlfriend had the chicken which was delicious, moist and had perfect crispy skin. It came on top of spetzle (excellent) with mushrooms. I had the duck which was perfectly cooked but probably not worth $34. We brought our own wine, $20 corkage fee. $85 for food and $20 for the wine. We will be back.Special Features:
- Great foodAlanDined on 10/11/2014Last Saturday night we went to Firebox for our wedding anniversary dinner. They gave us a booth so we could sit side by side - romantic. The noise level in the restaurant was not high so it was easy to talk yet not be overheard. The wait staff was very attentive all through dinner, ensuring we were pleased with our food. The food was delicious, especially the salmon. We had a delightful evening.Special Features:
- Say what?midtowndinersDined on 10/11/2014Very noisy! Couldn't even carry on a conversation at the table. The acoustics are terrible.Not a good setting to celebrate a special anniversary. Very good food...we had the salmon and duck. Doubt if we'll ever go back.Special Features:
- Great Food - Too Loud4dinnerDined on 10/11/2014Firebox is great overall. We enjoyed the specials and presentation of dishes. Also fresh herbs from the garden and items from local growers and suppliers. The cocktails are fabulous! Servers are excellent! Only complaint about Firebox is the noise level. If you are in the main dining room and it's busy - don't count on having a conversation. Not going to happen! It's so distracting you might as well just sit there and not talk. Suggest requesting the side room with the booths if you are planning to go on a weekend. For the price of the restaurant you should be able to enjoy your evening. And I wouldn't say the rating of 'energetic' for noise level is the best description for it! Sorry Firebox - the noise ruins an otherwise great thing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this restaurantDebCDined on 10/10/2014Firebox is one of our favorite restaurants in Hartford. The food is consistently spectacular; the service wonderful. We love the ambience of the restaurant and the fact they are farm to table. We tried the parsnip "steak". Outstanding! If you haven't been to this restaurant yet, you really should go. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just terrificWestEnderDined on 10/8/2014Consistently excellent food, hospitable service, and a wonderful atmosphere -- Firebox is a top spot for lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- Firebox Gets it Right!!!PaulineDined on 10/5/2014Firebox continues to impress. Every item was incredible. No misses. Corn soup with pancetta-perfectly smooth and pancetta crispy. Bread and Butter starter-incredible...crunchy on outside, soft on inside. Lamb burger-husband said best ever. I had fried Brussel Sprouts-amazing. Love that they use so many local items. Atmosphere is hip/upscale but very comfortable and not pretentious thank you very much. Service was spot on. She felt like an old friend. Cocktails delicious. Solid place-will def continue to frequent.Special Features:
- Good as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/4/2014Been here many times. It's consistently excellent. Hartford is lucky to have a restaurant of this quality. Hint to readers: it's mostly empty at lunch and the specials are delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite place for diningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/2/2014The Firebox offers an interesting and tasty menu of locally grown and organically raised produce, meats and fish. Their appetizers are particularly unusual and inviting, while their entrees are varied and well prepared and served with sometimes unexpected but always delicious vegetables and condiments. The fact that the restaurant is a non-profit enterprise whose profits help support the Billings Forge Community Works project contributes to our feeling that this is indeed a wonderful place to dine and socialize.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our DinnerRIGHTANGLE1Dined on 10/1/2014I THINK OVERALL, IT WAS ONE OF THE BEST MEALS I'VE HADSpecial Features:
- Great food. Small portion.ErikpDined on 10/1/2014I had the Salmon entree. Tasted and looked terrific. I was disappointed in the portion size. That piece of salmon had to be 3 oz. 5 inches long by maybe 1.5 inches wide. Tiny for $27! I was hungry when I left.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this restaurant!SFresidentDined on 9/27/2014Came for dinner with my college student & we loved everything about the restaurant. It was the first time we'd been seated in the large dining room in back where it was refreshing to have a good amount of space between tables. The food was fantastic. Standouts include the corn chowder, pork flat iron steak, housemade fettuccine, and the cheese plate. Prices are a little on the high side, but worth it in my opinion. Portions vary. The pork was a very substantial dish while the fettuccine was a smaller, but very tasty entree. The service was attentive and friendly while not obtrusive. Firebox continues to be a go to Hartford restaurant for us. We recommend it highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at Fireboxlsk7Dined on 9/27/2014We chose this restaurant online and the reviews were correct. A casual find with a warm ambiance. The food is delicious and creative, there's a wide selection of wines of various price levels, our server was professional and so pleasant. Firebox is vegetarian/vegan friendly in case that's important to you.Special Features:
- Outstanding!kialuv2eatDined on 9/27/2014I went with my family for the first time and will definitely go again. The food was amazing! The menu is small but has something for everyone and everything we ordered was made of fresh ingredients and you could taste it! Also, the atmosphere is casual but nice and spacious so you don't feel that you are sitting on top of your neighbors. The staff was welcoming and knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Good local ingredients.GoodeggDined on 9/26/2014The waiter took a very long time after we were seated to get our drnk order. Once he did show up, we explained we were trying to make a show at the Bushnell. After that he was attentive but not pushy, there was probably just communication issue. The food was well prepared and made from local ingredients, which is nice. I had their Manhattan with infused Rye which was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I really want to love this placejwpmitVIPDined on 9/21/2014My wife and I went to Firebox on a Sunday, late afternoon. The restaurant itself is clean and elegant. The food was well prepared but very complex - for us, we look forward to well constructed but simple preparations. On every dish, the multiple flavors competed rather than complimented. We're going again on a Friday or Saturday. Hartford needs another great food restaurant this could be one.Special Features:
- Surprised and disappointedluv2dine2Dined on 9/14/2014We have been to Firebox on many occasions and have been delighted with the entire experience. The ambiance is relaxed. The service has always been very attentive and polite. The food has always been delicious with it's Farm to Table ingredients and recipes. But our last visit came up short in many areas. First, the server did not inform us of any specials; drink or food. It was not until we overheard him speaking to the table next to us that we heard the specials. Unfortunately, we were already done eating. One of our entrees was fried eggplant. The eggplant was undercooked and the breading was extremely thick and hence we did not eat it. Unfortunately, it may be a while before we go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CantonboyVIPDined on 9/13/2014Been wanting to try Firebox for a while and finally went this past weekend. Everything was fantastic. The ambiance, the food and the service. Will make it a point to return as soon as I can.Special Features:
- Imaginative Excellent FoodFredVIPDined on 9/7/2014My wife and I were in Hartford on the way home from a New England Vacation. This restaurant was near our hotel and the Mark Twain House so we thought to try it out. A band was playing in the bar area on the Sunday night - but we asked to be seated further back in the restaurant which was actually pretty quiet. The menu choices are somewhat limited - but what was served was excellent. My wife started with a creamy corn soup. I had a locally-sourced chees plate - both very tasty. For dinner we picked a steak dish and a chicken. We also tried out 2 sides - a fire roasted corn and a tempura fried green bean. Everything was beautifully presented, very well cooked and wonderful tasting.Special Features:
- Another Great MealGPJrDined on 9/6/2014We make it a point to eat at Firebox when we visit the Hartford area to visit our daughter at boarding school. My wife, the foodie, is a huge fan. I get chided for ordering too much, then have to fend off incursions on my plate from both wife and daughter. Interesting tasty dishes; attentive, but not intrusive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentpedirnDined on 9/4/2014Amazing meal. Everything we ordered was delicious. The service was great, everyone was friendly. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best lunch venues aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/2/2014This Hartford gem is, in many ways, even better a lunch time. At night, the somewhat cavernous building can be way too noisy. During the day, when it is less crowded, diners can spread out and the place is almost quiet! :) The food is excellent, as always, though the menu is somewhat limited in the number of offerings. The burger that I ordered was one of the best I've ever had, on a brioche roll from the Hartford bakery, and served with hand cut fries and catsup and a spicy aioli on the side. I opted for the "sunny side up" egg on the burger (having just read that protein and fat consumption is back in vogue). I'll definitely be back to order this again. This restaurant should definitely me on your "must try" list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LVvisitorVIPDined on 8/31/2014Always, always, always a good meal !! This is one our favorite places, for so many reasons..Special Features:
- Like Farm to Table? Come HERE!crunyonDined on 8/30/2014Everything is local! The portions are just right, stellar service and a delicious meal, what else could you want?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as alwaysSuetoniusDined on 8/29/2014Just love Firebox, inventive and beautifully cooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014We enjoyed ourselves thoroughly. Dinner was wonderful and we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just lovelyCTFoodieDined on 8/28/2014My family loved our dinner at Firebox! From the decor to the cocktails, main course to dessert--everything was thoughtfully and beautifully prepared. And Firebox's farm-to-table commitment is awesome; we love supporting local farms and communities. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MariDined on 8/27/2014Great open floor plan. The art work and natural wood, brick and metal elements along with the tall ceiling and windows make it a very hip place to dine or just have appetizers and drinks. The food was outstanding. I had medallion pork over yellow tomatoes and croutons with wonderful spice The only complaint was the dessert. After eating so fabulously, the dessert should have been a sweet fruit treat with whatever is in season of course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time impressed!anniversaryDined on 8/26/2014Our first visit to Firebox and we'll be back for fine dining and a new favorite for special occasions. Excellent, no... superb food, service, and dining experience.Special Features:
- Pleasant surpriseMikeyVIPDined on 8/24/2014One of the best meals I've had in ages from an unpretentious modern place in a questionable neighborhood in Hartford...Special Features:
- Top notch in HartfordOldDogVIPDined on 8/24/2014Tucked in to a formerly sketchy area south of the State Capitol, The Firebox is a first class dining experience. On a Sunday night, the front bar area featured a lively professional crowd and a pleasant country trio performing. We were escorted to the back, more formal dining room. The wait staff was pleasant and very knowledgeable. The food was amazing. Fresh farm-to-table ingredients included the best of the season and preparations which were fantastic. For those city folk who think of Hartford as an also-ran, our meal was the rival of any I had enjoyed in a long time. Definitely going to repeat.Special Features:
- Great place to dine in Hartford.SFresidentDined on 8/24/2014Wonderful, fresh, contemporary food. After having only dined in a Thai restaurant and 24-hour diner in the Wesleyan University area, we loved discovering the fresh take on food at Firebox. Everything we had at Sunday brunch was delicious, from the non-alcoholic juice cocktail to the side of potatoes. It was very quiet while we were there, but the service was still only adequate. Despite that, we would recommend Firebox without hesitation for its delicious and creative farm to table food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surpriseWillflyforfoodDined on 8/23/2014We've lived in west hartford for 20 years. Restaurant choices here range from the pedestrian to the extravagantly overpriced pedestrian! We usually head to canton/ avon to find anything remotely interesting, fresh, and well prepared. My husband found firebox on tripadvisor and, as usual, we agreed with most of the other reviews. Food was imaginative, fresh and lovingly prepared. Service was professional and friendly. Prices were consistent with other higher end places in the area but surprisingly worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RedFuryDined on 8/23/2014Came here for a birthday. Nice ambiance. Drink menu could use a little spicing up, most of the drinks were lemon or ginger based.. I had the mussels, some were under cooked, but the corn broth was good. The salmon was delicious atop chilled cous cous. Pricey, food took longer then usual to arrive. Great for an older couple for a date night.Special Features:
- A Hit in HartfordtravelcentricnyVIPDined on 8/23/2014What a winning restaurant ! Fresh, inventive cuisine, from the impeccable PEI oysters to the scrumptious yellow beet cake for dessert, combined with knowledgeable-but-friendly service and outstanding by-the-glass wines made for a great celebratory dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing, Fresh, and WonderfulEpicChefDined on 8/23/2014The first thing that stands out when you arrive at The Firebox is the wonderful staff. All are polite, courteous, knowledgeable, and eager to serve. The food is what really sets the restaurant apart from rest. You can taste the freshness in every bite. Every dish we had was not only seasoned to perfection, but was also cooked perfectly. We will definitely be returning to The Firebox real soon!Special Features: