539 Broad Street
Hartford, CT 06101Neighborhood:
Hartford / West Hartford
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fireboxrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8602461222
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 8:30pm; Brunch: Sunday 11:00am-2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Sean Farrell
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Chef Sean Farrell is happy to create spectacular catering menus, please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: The Firebox Restaurant is happy to welcome groups of all sizes, for all occasions.
- Private Party Contact: Sarah Ostapchuk 8602461222
- Special Events: We can accomodate private parties for lunch and dinner. Contact Sarah Ostapchuk for details
A word from Firebox Restaurant
Firebox Restaurant, located in the historic Billings Forge, one block from the State Capitol, serves seasonal contemporary American cuisine, in a casually elegant setting. Guests enjoy the white-washed brick, warm fireplace and handmade Amish farm tables of our back dining rooms. The impressive front bar area with it's exposed brick, wood beams and vaulted ceilings, houses a lively bar scene focusing on innovative cocktails and an impressive wine selection.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Firebox Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Hartford / West Hartford ›
Firebox Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
144 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (105)special occasion (80)neighborhood gem (71)good for groups (45)notable wine list (44)romantic (41)great for brunch (31)hot spot (27)great for lunch (25)vibrant bar scene (23)great for outdoor dining (16)late-night find (9)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Great open floor plan. The art work and natural wood, brick and metal elements along with the tall ceiling and windows make it a very hip place to dine or just have appetizers and drinks. The food was outstanding. I had medallion pork over yellow tomatoes and croutons with wonderful spice The only complaint was the dessert. After eating so fabulously, the dessert should have been a sweet fruit treat with whatever is in season of course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time impressed!anniversaryDined on 8/26/2014Our first visit to Firebox and we'll be back for fine dining and a new favorite for special occasions. Excellent, no... superb food, service, and dining experience.Special Features:
- Pleasant surpriseMikeyVIPDined on 8/24/2014One of the best meals I've had in ages from an unpretentious modern place in a questionable neighborhood in Hartford...Special Features:
- Top notch in HartfordOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/24/2014Tucked in to a formerly sketchy area south of the State Capitol, The Firebox is a first class dining experience. On a Sunday night, the front bar area featured a lively professional crowd and a pleasant country trio performing. We were escorted to the back, more formal dining room. The wait staff was pleasant and very knowledgeable. The food was amazing. Fresh farm-to-table ingredients included the best of the season and preparations which were fantastic. For those city folk who think of Hartford as an also-ran, our meal was the rival of any I had enjoyed in a long time. Definitely going to repeat.Special Features:
- Great place to dine in Hartford.SFresidentDined on 8/24/2014Wonderful, fresh, contemporary food. After having only dined in a Thai restaurant and 24-hour diner in the Wesleyan University area, we loved discovering the fresh take on food at Firebox. Everything we had at Sunday brunch was delicious, from the non-alcoholic juice cocktail to the side of potatoes. It was very quiet while we were there, but the service was still only adequate. Despite that, we would recommend Firebox without hesitation for its delicious and creative farm to table food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surpriseWillflyforfoodDined on 8/23/2014We've lived in west hartford for 20 years. Restaurant choices here range from the pedestrian to the extravagantly overpriced pedestrian! We usually head to canton/ avon to find anything remotely interesting, fresh, and well prepared. My husband found firebox on tripadvisor and, as usual, we agreed with most of the other reviews. Food was imaginative, fresh and lovingly prepared. Service was professional and friendly. Prices were consistent with other higher end places in the area but surprisingly worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RedFuryDined on 8/23/2014Came here for a birthday. Nice ambiance. Drink menu could use a little spicing up, most of the drinks were lemon or ginger based.. I had the mussels, some were under cooked, but the corn broth was good. The salmon was delicious atop chilled cous cous. Pricey, food took longer then usual to arrive. Great for an older couple for a date night.Special Features:
- cathyVIPDined on 8/19/2014I liked everything about this restaurant except the parking. The parking lot is small and fills up fast. Street parking is difficult as the restaurant is in a residential area.Special Features:
- They careOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014They care about the service, they care about the quality and freshness of the food. Always interesting options on the menu.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014Good accomodations for those with food sensitivities. Very nice presentation of the food. Creative dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Findjazzkidd6Dined on 8/10/2014So glad to have found Firebox via Zagat online. We were in Hartford for a concert and wanted a farm-to-table restaurant that serves up high quality, sustainable, local veggies and meats. The burgers were fantastic. Nice craft beer list too. Love the atmosphere constructed of recycled wood and brick. Really cool venue. I bet this place rocks at night! Will definitely go again next time we're in town from NY.Special Features:
- Great for CarnivoresHtfddinerDined on 8/10/2014My husband and I ate at the Firebox last Sunday. He LOVED it--had the mussels with kielbasa, which he said were the best he'd ever eaten, and the the pasta (which had panceta), which he also said was the best pasta he'd ever eaten. I had Fried Eggplant, which came with a bunch of pretty but not too tasty vegetables on top--the only entree that was vegetarian. I liked the bread--very rustic and chewy--and thought the veggie dish was just okay--definitely not worth the $24 price tag. So--vegetarians beware. This isn't a place with a great variety of veggie-friendly dishes. The waiter was really nice, the ambience was kind of modern/industrial. I would have given it 2 or 3 stars, my husband 5--the 4 is a compromise.Special Features:
- YUMMY!!!happytummiesX2Dined on 8/3/2014What a truly GREAT idea to continue the taste of Hartford...it gives one the opportunity to go into Hartford and try restaurants one normally wouldn't. The experience both myself and my daughter had was YUMMY!!! We both so enjoyed our special meal. The food was delicious and the presentation was spectacular!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience for a foodie!!foodie228Dined on 8/2/2014Really nice place with a great vibe, nice staff, and outstanding food!!!! My husband and I were in Hartford and looking for a place for a later dinner, we searched open table and found Firebox's menu most interesting, boy did we make the right choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceede ExpectationsWallyworldDined on 8/2/2014While the menu was limited in number of offerings, every course delivered creative experiences I would not have normally have ordered. So it was safe to say that one can move out of the comfort zone and have an amazing experience. In addition the spectacular old factory setting is something to admire.Special Features:
- FireboxwwddDined on 8/2/2014Nice Place - good menu - more Vegan options would be welcome, but I'd definitely come here again with a non-Vegan date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent mealTollandJJDined on 8/2/2014We went with another couple. Everyone had a wonderful meal! All food items were fresh and well prepared. Waite staff were knowledgeable and friendly. We feel that we had one of the best meals we have had in a long time! We are certain to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FLEADined on 8/2/2014Best duck I have ever eaten! The eggplant was perfect too........Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Visit for Restaurant WeekCLBfromNYDined on 7/30/2014My first visit to this restaurant after having heard great things. We figured Restaurant Week would be a great time to try it. We picked from the fixed menu. It was surprisingly a very comprehensive selection with very generous portions. Everything was presented amazingly and was delicious. The service was excellent. Cocktails were a bit higher priced than I'm used to paying - $10 for a glass of house Chardonnay. It was a very pleasant evening and we'll be back.Special Features:
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/30/2014I come to the Hartford area only a few times a year, but whenever I do, I make sure to go to Firebox. The food is extraordinary -- always fresh, creative and full of unique flavors. Don't miss this wonderful restaurant!Special Features:
- WOWREALGYDined on 7/29/2014This was my 4th lunch at the Firebox. Each time I visit, it out does the last visit! This time I treated my co-workers for a job well done, and this lunch really lived up to making them feel special. We ate outdoors and it was perfect. The food choices are so different, and we loved that it is local ingredients. Can't wait for our next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going to see the BandChriseatsDined on 7/27/2014We reserved a table in order to see a performance by Tumbling Bones, a band we have been "following" for some time. A chance to see them in Hartford was very welcome as they have not performed much in this area recently. The site was a pleasure to see, well designed and welcoming. The menu was a surprise. We expected "Pub Food" but the offerings were anything but. We expect to stop again in the coming year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible food/Great missionfoodiefanaticDined on 7/26/2014The food was outstanding! The taste of everything from my cocktail to dessert was both delightfully interesting and balanced. While the service was very friendly, it was not terribly efficient. The bartender repeatedly forgot to bring us a drink menu, and our server did not bring out any of our plates or check on us until we were nearly finished with each course. Still, overall, the experience was very pleasant, and I will definitely go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Firebox always deliversTriniFoodieDined on 7/25/2014I don't go to Firebox often, but when I do, I'm never disappointed. The food is fresh and delicious, locally sourced, and the service os always good. They also don't make you feel hurried.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/23/2014I have eaten here many times, and it is my favorite in Hartford.Special Features:
- A "miss" at a good establishmentOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/23/2014I've been there before and have enjoyed the menus and the preparations. This night, I asked about the chicken, stating that I preferred to have it cooked less than most diners, so that the meat was juicy. The extremely knowledgeable and courteous waiter assured me that that's exactly what the kitchen did, so I ordered it. This is NOT what the kitchen did this night. The chicken was as dry as shoe leather; I took two bites and left the rest. The waiter was very apologetic when I told him at the end of the meal, and "comped" the glass of wine that I ordered, explaining that perhaps the restaurant's current focus on the "Taste of Hartford" menu was a contributing factor. I'll go back, and remind them of this to prevent a recurrence.
- A wonderful dining experiencehudviewDined on 7/19/2014It was a Saturday evening in mid-July so the restaurant - which is a good size - was relatively quiet when we visited. We had a perfectly delicious dinner from starters to dessert. (We do not normally have room for dessert but the portion size of every course here was perfect.) The menu is not lengthy but there is plenty of choice and the food was very fresh and perfectly cooked. We would go back to this restaurant in a flash and look forward to returning sometime. Nice wine list with some wonderful choices and the restaurant is happy to re-cork the bottle and let you take home what you are unable to finish. This was a really delightful dinner. The service was very good. Our server recommended a great non-alcoholic aperitif.Special Features:
- Excellent neighborhood findfunsterDined on 7/18/2014Ate here twice in the past week, had terrific meals both time. Great drinks and service. Love the farm-to-table theme and interesting entree choices. It can get quite noisy so if you're looking for a quiet tete-a-tete this might not be the right choice, but if you're looking to go out for a good time with friends it's perfect. The only tiny complaint would be that both times I was here it was absolutely freezing inside, way too chilly for comfort, and I wasn't the only one who commented on it. Fortunately there was an outside table available the second time so we sat there.Special Features:
- Great foodFoodie6856Dined on 7/10/2014Food was very good. The chowder was unbelievable. Unusual menu but everything was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuncheonTEAMHIGDined on 7/10/2014We visted for a work team luncheon and it was fabulous! The food and service was outstanding! We will definitley be back to visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Successful reclamationOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/8/2014First time dining @Firebox. Really appreciated the farm-to-table approach, which is reflected in the menu as well as with the server's knowledge of where everything they serve is sourced from. You can taste the difference. Neighborhood is a bit dodgy; parked on the street across from the restaurant and didnt have any issues with that. Menu was a bit small, but there was enough diversity for our group. Overall, food was excellent.Special Features:
- BillTechDined on 7/8/2014Food was good but selection was very limited. Service was poor even though the restaurant was not busy
- Best duck in CT!MalbusterDined on 7/5/2014As always, our service was very good. I attempt to try something different when I go, but every time I see duck on the menu, I have to go for it. I would also recommend trying the Bloody Mary. One of the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love foodLuv2dineDined on 7/3/2014Great food, great service, nice atmosphere. The wine list is not always updated with the current year of wine featured on wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun and tastyRemyDined on 6/29/2014A leading local venue for local foods and local music. Both very well prepared and presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous food and atmosphereJenLDined on 6/27/2014We had an amazing time here. The food was unbelievable and the service was personal and friendly, but not overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good lunch spotSarahKDined on 6/24/2014The food was quite good- I had the turkey sandwich although I wish I had ordered the salad, it looked delicious! I tried the beet dessert, which featured sour milk and beet ganache. Not my favorite but not bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big SurpriseFireboxVIPDined on 6/22/2014This gem of a restaurant in a restored factory building was terrific in Hartford. The service friendly and the food lovely. The fried chicken reminded me of the best from home in Virginia. My husbands hamburger was just right and not too big or too small.Special Features:
- Fun spot , convenient parkingToudelooVIPDined on 6/22/2014Very nice brunch. Bread basket is an extra charge. Frittata is a bit dry , but light and fluffy. Cool looking interior , very clean , great service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off NightEdroDined on 6/21/2014My fourth experience at the Firebox which has been otherwisw quite good. On this particular evening the food was still good. The service was off. One entree was incorrect. A waitress dropped food from a tray trying to get through a difficult to open door. Shortly after that the waitress sent wine glasses careening off another tray shattering onto the patio. Mostly this was just sad for her. Problematic was the entree that was not ordered which put one of our group out of synch with the rest of us. The drinks came late. The waiter made up for the gaffes with his personality and saved the evening. It was just an off night saved by a good waiter. I will go back.Special Features: