601 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fioladc.com/
- Phone: 202-628-2888x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday- Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday:5:30-11:30pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Fabio Trabocchi
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining
- Special Events: For special events, please contact Siobhan at email@example.com
A word from Fiola
Fiola, Fabio Trabocchi's modern Italian Trattoria, features Italian cuisine with an emphasis on fresh local ingredients from our farms and markets. The menu will change constantly focusing on seasonal ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Fiola reviews from OpenTable diners
376 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (254)special occasion (248)notable wine list (149)romantic (143)great for outdoor dining (111)great for lunch (82)neighborhood gem (65)hot spot (45)good for groups (43)vibrant bar scene (31)great for brunch (10)scenic view (7)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Too expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014Food was great but too expensive for what's on the plate. Athmosphere rather cool and airco way too cold. Wine was great but expensive wine list.Special Features:
- foodmeVIPDined on 9/15/2014For lunch, we sat outside and I ordered the spicy ahi tuna tartare and olive oil poached cod. In many nice restaurants, you order an expensive tuna tartare and get a few minced pieces of tuna. Here, it was a decent-sized bowl of it -- well done Fiola. The cod likewise was delicious. Will be back.Special Features:
- Food is excellent!sophieanneDined on 9/12/2014The Lobster Ravioli is to die for as well as the Foie Gras Appetizer. This is a very good restaurant. Try to the 4 or 6 course menu with pairing to get a good idea of the great food quality.Special Features:
- OutstandingEpicurialVIPDined on 9/11/2014On a recent trip to Washington DC I had the pleasure of dining at Fiola. The menu was imaginative and extensive enough to satisfy any need. The food delivered on the promise of menu. Wine list tended to be on the high side, however found an excellent sub$100 bottle. The restaurant exceeded my expectations and may prompt a return trip just to eat there again.Special Features:
- A very special placeMagnificentDined on 9/11/2014Fiola is one of the finest restaurants I have visited internationally. Thr ambience and the warm professionalism of the staff are exceeded only by the food selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THE best Italian cuisine in DCMikeDined on 9/10/2014Fiola again lived up to my high expectation with the food, drinks, wine and service. As a start the burratta of mozzarella was great. The pasta is so light but at the same time it is real comfort food. The pappardelle with the ragu was amazing. The lobster ravioli is the best I have had anywhere from Maine to Italy. And Fiola will accomodate half portions of pasta as an appetizer. Very nice. The Branzino was fantastic but the veal chop was incredible. We shared desserts and their pastry chef is always doing wonderful things. The portions at Fiola are not over the top but they will more than satisfy a hungry guy. The other great thing about Fiola is the service - very friendly but not bothersome. A wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional - near National GalleryC1rayDined on 9/10/2014Super service, excellent food. My wife said it was the best-prepared fish dish she can remember - ever. Not over cooked, not under cooked. Moist, flavorful and served hot. Not often this can be said of most restaurants. This is not your average DC restaurant. I'll come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/8/2014Fiola is one of the current hot spot restaurants in DC. The decor is modern and sleek with accents of old world Italy. We were there on a Monday and the place was full, although the noise level was very comfortable. The food is just as owner Fabio Trabocchi describes; traditional Italian dishes, using local fresh ingredients, with his added personal twist. While the concept works for many items on the menu, such as the pasta dishes, many end up confusing. Anchovies completely overwhelm the burrata appetizer, and there were too many tastes and textures in the veal ribeye. Fiola is great for an extravagant food experience - once or maybe twice. Your wallet may say the former. We much prefer their other restaurant, Fiola Mare.Special Features:
- Wow!WynneWoodyVIPDined on 9/8/2014Everything from the welcome at the front door to the final bill was spot-on. We both had the four-course fixed-price menu with wine pairings and could not have been more pleased with that selection. It is not cheap, but if you are willing to spend the money, it is well worth the price. The food was beautiful, in addition to being delicious, and the wait-staff were all exceedingly professional and friendly, with a high level of attentiveness, but not fussy or bothersome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shocked by unappetizing entreesfoodiemomVIPDined on 9/6/2014My husband and I were really looking forward to this place that gets great reviews, but $300 later we found ourselves extremely disappointed. I have never written a review before but feel compelled to this time. My branzino came with a number of odd and harsh flavors, rendering it almost inedible. My husband's veal was okay, but basically an undercooked piece of meat without much flavor. Both entrees were well over $40. We are foodies who have eaten at most of the top spots in DC and many other cities, but sadly, won't be returning here. I will say...our starter course of foie gras was fantastic and the service was good, but everything else? ?
- Grazie mille!NyanzasVIPDined on 9/6/2014This is, without question, our favorite restaurant in D.C. My wife and I spent one of our first dates at Fiola, and our wedding dinner, and just celebrated our first anniversary there with yet another perfect meal. The staff and service are always impeccable; we are made to feel at home, and welcome, from the moment we make the reservation to the time we stagger away from the experience, waylaid with satisfaction and happiness that we were, once again, fortunate enough to dine so well. Fabio and his team never fail to delight!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not so greatjayrDined on 9/6/2014Both I and my companion were both disappointed in our dinner. There were a couple of highlights - the pleasant waiter was very knowledgeable about wines, and, based on my description, recommended exactly what I had in mind. We had the steak tartare and lobster ravioli for appetizers. The tartare was excellent. The ravioli tasted (and looked) like pot stickers. The lobster was not sufficiently cooked. Main dishes were Wild dorade fisherman's style, and Seafood brodetto. Both were bland, and uninteresting. Though nothing on the dessert menu was tempting, the espresso was good and the petit fours were pleasant. We both expected a fabulous meal equal to other restaurants with similar rating and reviews, and did not get one.Special Features:
- jdgreenwaldDined on 9/4/2014This was the best meal I have had in DC for some years. As I recall, the menu has changed from the last time there (maybe six months ago) and was far more inventive. Whether Fiola continues to operate at this standard is an open question, but for one night, it was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fiola DeliziosoOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/3/2014Not your typical Italian fare. Marche and Amalfi coast meets East coast cuisine. Enjoyed lobster/chorizo watermelon gazpacho, cod with pickled ramps and paddlefish caviar, filet with celery root and fois gras, finishing with unusual italian blue with dried fruit, and cioccolato dessert. High quality ingredients and balanced nuanced flavors . Great Mocali brunello paired well. Outstanding wine list and waiter John who can double as a somm given his extensive wine knowledge. For high quality, uniquely paired food with Italian bent would recommend if dining off the Mall and Pennsylvania AveSpecial Features:
- Good Food, Indifferent ServiceCLPARKDinerVIPDined on 8/30/2014Our food was very good. Our service was not what we expected from a restaurant of this stature. Courses weren't described when served, and we were checked on infrequently. This may be because we sat outside on the patio, but I don't see why we should not have received the same level of service.Special Features:
- Great dinnerDinearoundtheworldDined on 8/30/2014All the food was fantastic, service was available, and great wine list (and help).Special Features:
- Blown AwayJimHVIPDined on 8/30/2014Fiola provided me with possibly the greatest all-around meal experience of my life. The staff was attentive, friendly and knowledgeable. It was engaging on twitter (@fioladc) as well knowing this was a birthday weekend for me. They filed that away and made certain it was a special memory. The GM (Farhat) came by at least 3 times to check on me, the sommelier (Casper) was fantastic and Lauren took amazing care of me. As incredible as the service was, the food and drink were shining stars. Steak tartarre...WOW...Prosciutto Wrapped Veal Ribeye was everything it sounds like. Pastry chef is immensely talented as well. If you are in DC, a stop here is a no-brainer. So very thankful this was the start of a great 2-day foodie trip!Special Features:
- delicious foodblueflyiVIPDined on 8/30/2014had my birthday celebration there this year, the tasting menu was outstanding, very tasty food and good wine selection, will go back againSpecial Features:
- Excellent Dining Experience!emwave1Dined on 8/29/2014My wife and I shipped the kids off to the grandparents for Labor Day weekend and spent the night at the St Regis. We took the opportunity to try Fiola since it's been tough getting a reservation there. We really enjoyed the chef's menu when he was at the Ritz and this newer spot did not disappoint. It was a beautiful evening, so we ate outside, which was a great experience. The food was delicious (tuna carpaccio appetizer, my wife had the branzino, and I had a tenderloin). Everything was delicious, the service was great...it was not cheap, but definitely worth it for special occasions or a just a really nice night out.Special Features:
- Great Meal! Great Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014We had an awesome time at Fiola. I booked the reservation as a tourist, coming in town to visit my sister. I wanted to take her out to a nice restaurant that would be fun, since she provided me with a free place to stay. And italian is her favorite food. I had high expectations and y'all delivered on all fronts, quality of food, ambiance, and service. Our waiter was knowledgeable, attentive, and considerate & helpful with wine pairings, even though we all ordered totally different items from the menu. The wasn't too invasive either though. Also, I had read a review before going that the dining area was too loud. No need to worry about that though. The ambiance in there was perfect. I will be going back there one day. Thanks!Special Features:
- Faboo FiolaRobertVIPDined on 8/29/2014Fiola has the nicest outdoor space in the city and it is ideal for a celebratory lunch or dinner. At lunch we had Maria's Mediterranean 3-course lunch and it was wonderful. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Fine DiningExcellence1Dined on 8/28/2014The service is the best in the restaurant business. The food is exotic, fine and every course was special. This restaurant is a keeper.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A consistent gemEllyDined on 8/27/2014It has been awhile since we have dined here but chose it to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Since friends had called ahead to arrange a bottle of wine for us, the staff knew the purpose of our visit. From the moment we arrived each member of the staff congratulated us and celebrated us in an understated but warm matter, complete with complimentary champagne. The food was fabulous, even if crabmeat was missing from our lobster/crab salad (the chef indicated he had plated the dish and it was there but we didn't taste or see it). Fiola remains on our shot list if favorites. We're trying Fiola Mare in a couple of weeks..wonder if it will measure up?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- toutvabienDined on 8/26/2014A bit underwhelming, especially considering the price. High-quality ingredients, nice presentation, and large portions. Everything was good. But not great. The burrata salad was overdressed and the pesto eclipsed the delicate cheese. Cavatelli was well-prepared. Steak was also well-prepared but very sweet, especially with the roasted cippolinis. Service was obsequious to the point of being a bit odd.Special Features:
- Be prepared4DExpDined on 8/25/2014I had the lobster dish, (can't remember what it's called) but I do remember it cost $40. Why do I remember? because the serving was really small. It tasted really good and I really want to go back for more but for 40 bucks, I absolutely refuse.Special Features:
- Worthy of high praiseOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/25/2014We were lucky enough to have an evening that was perfect for dining outdoors. We asked for recommendations for wine because the wine list seemed overwhelming; we chose the suggested wine, which, given some of the possibilities, was relatively reasonable. The steak tartare was good, though not exceptional; but the tuna carpaccio was "to die for." Our main course, at the waiter's suggestion, was Spanish Branzino, which was outstanding. Our waiter also suggested a light almond sponge cake accompanied by white peach sorbet, for dessert; it was the ideal way to end to the meal. The atmosphere was most pleasant and the service was impeccable. The meal was expensive, but worth every penny. We are looking forward to returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatFrenchieDCDined on 8/23/2014the foie gras was simply amazing, one of the best I ever had... I am French Lobster ravioli were great but not amazingSpecial Features:
- Perfect Birthday VenueWinepleaseDined on 8/23/2014We really liked the restaurant but recommend you ask to be seated in the back part of the restaurant. The front has a weird glow from the front door lighting installment and I felt like there was a spot light on my back the whole time. The waiter was very attentive and recommended a wonderful bottle of wine. I had the lobster ravioli which was perfect and my boyfriend had the veal and very much enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Outstanding experienceCpawDined on 8/23/2014Fiola does not disappoint. It is refined with great service and great food. The appetizers were delicate and delicious. The pasta and meat dishes were outstanding as well as the wine. The desserts were a bit of a disappointment. The pastry with the lemon custard was not notable and not refined. The 'birthday' cake was ok but also forgettable. The best dessert was the yogurt sorbet. Overall, it was a great experience! Next time we'll try different deserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinermariaDined on 8/23/2014We had a wonderful diner at Fiola's. It was our first time and we loved it. The service was very good and the food as well. As Europeans the portions were perfect. We will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- expected morewdp275VIPDined on 8/22/2014the starter of tuna tartare was very good but the dover sole was grilled (from frozen and freezer burn) and was fishy and not edible. the icelandic cod was well prepared but ordinary.
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014The waiter was amazing! He let us take our time. Food was good. We ordered from the Restaurant Week menu and the salads didn't get goat cheese even though goat cheese does come with the regular salad. There were 7 of us and we all had a great time.Special Features:
- I can eat here every dayGPVDinnerVIPDined on 8/22/2014Love Fiola. What a gem and it keeps getting better.Special Features:
- Loved ItOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/21/2014I went for for the extended restaurant week. It was a very nice experience. I could not afford a glass of wine though. Maybe they should have a reasonably priced wine list. Other than that. Fabulous!Special Features:
- Disappointed dinersdinneroutDined on 8/20/2014Our group of 5 were very excited to try this top rated restaurant. Our servers manner was very overpowering and overly familiar. He inappropriately referred to our single companion as a " fifth wheel". It made for a very uncomfortable moment. Although the food was tasty and cooked properly it wasn't really anything special. The atmosphere is not conducive to conversation and our table near the stairway was a chaotic high traffic area. For these prices I would expect a more positively memorable evening.
- 4RibeyesDined on 8/20/2014The food and service were great. However, the décor needs refurbishing because the wall covering was delaminating.
- PeterDined on 8/20/2014Fiola, like its newly opened sister, Fiola Mare in Georgetown, is grounded in strong fundamentals: excellent service, fine food products, attention to detail and a welcoming feeling. The food is similar in its excellent preparation, including 100% duplication of the craved lobster ravioli. There are more pastas at Fiola and the veal ragu paparadelle was savory. The mixed seafood in a light sauce was delicately cooked causing the different offerings to be be all cooked the right amount and the 4 course chef's tasting Meunier was a fine choice. Finally, the wine list, including many good wines by the glass was thorough and supportive of a restaurant of this quality, with many choices in the reasonable price point range.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sandyDined on 8/20/2014Food was excellent, but dinner was ruined by about a dozen people at the next table, very drunk and all shouting. The restaurant gave us a dessert wine to compensate, but in my opinion they should have either moved us or made some effort to quiet down the offensive people. I had a headache when we left.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FIne Dining at it's BestDinersFromDCVIPDined on 8/19/2014The excellent wait staff and delicious food make Fiola one of DC's top three restaurants. I never miss an opportunity to dine here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall, a great experiencecapitolhilldcVIPDined on 8/18/2014Overall, a great experience. Good and wine were excellent. Service was friendly and couteous but we were left too long after finishing the main course. We intended to order dessert but decided we should take the bill when we finally got the chance. If not for this relatively minor issue, I would have rated 5 across the board.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.